Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ashstralia
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    • Feb 2004

that looks awesome, nitro. if i ever get stateside, i wanna play there.

Comment

• sadaist
      TOASTMASTER GENERAL
      • Jul 2004

Originally posted by VanHalener

Playing Golf Rocks!

Is that Greg Norman?

“Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Comment

• VanHalener
        ROCKSTAR

• Nov 2006

Originally posted by Fairwrning
        ...maybe this year something can finally be worked out.
        Let me know if something happens. I would love to take the 4 1/2 hour drive to come down and fish, golf, and enjoy sweet southern Virginia.
        ~Only you can prevent low volume~

Comment

• Blaze
          Full Member Status

• Jan 2009

– Thu Mar 24, 12:07 pm ET

LONDON (AFP) – The woman in a hitched-up tennis dress whose cheeky pose adorned countless boys' bedrooms has revealed she had little interest in the sport and was wearing her father's plimsolls for the shot.

Fiona Walker was 18 when she became the sun-dappled subject of the "Tennis Girl" poster on a court in Birmingham, central England, in 1976.

Athena bought the rights to the poster, more than two million were sold and it became one of the iconic images of the 1970s.

Now she has posed with the original image -- albeit more soberly dressed this time -- to promote an exhibition of tennis as an art form.

Walker, now a 52-year-old freelance illustrator with three children, said her then boyfriend Martin Elliott was a photography student when he persuaded her to pose for the shot.

She was not keen on tennis, borrowed the footwear from her father and wore a tennis dress of a "friend of a friend". The balls on the court were ones she used to throw for her pet dog.

Walker revealed that despite the huge popularity of the poster, she has remained almost anonymous -- and received no royalties.

"I think my children tell people that it's me but most people don't believe it," she said.

"I was very naive and was paid nothing, and I think it's the biggest-selling poster ever.

"My mother has a very faded copy in what used to be my father's study and I just have it in the form of a very small postcard."

She added: "It never ceases to make me smile when I see it sometimes. I see it in very strange places."

"It has a place in the history of tennis. I think Martin Elliott would be very proud of the fact that his picture is in the exhibition," she added.
          Elliott died last year.

The picture goes on show at the Barber Institute in Birmingham on May 27, less than a mile from the garden of a villa in suburban Edgbaston, where the sport was first played.
          "I have heard there are troubles of more than one kind. - Some come from ahead and some come from behind. - But I've bought a big bat. I'm all ready you see. - Now my troubles are going to have troubles with me!" ~ Dr. Seuss
          sigpic

Comment

• Nitro Express
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • Aug 2004

I actually did have that poster hanging in my room.
            No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• ashstralia
              ROTH ARMY ELITE
              • Feb 2004

i had 44 and 48. hit some great shots. cracking weather...
              Last edited by ashstralia; 03-26-2011, 05:09 AM.

Comment

• ashstralia
                ROTH ARMY ELITE
                • Feb 2004

Comment

• ashstralia
                  ROTH ARMY ELITE
                  • Feb 2004

smashing the drive down the middle is fun...

edit; yep that's my ball.
                  Last edited by ashstralia; 03-28-2011, 05:51 AM. Reason: a wilson ultra lately. excellent golf ball.

Comment

• ashstralia
                    ROTH ARMY ELITE
                    • Feb 2004

bring on the cathedral in the pines. amen corner on sunday.

Comment

• chefcraig
                      DIAMOND STATUS
                      • Apr 2004

Yep. Watched the ESPN tribute to the 25th anniversary of Jack Nicklaus' 1986 victory last evening, and man, was it ever a cool thing. Bring it on!

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
                      ― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• PETE'S BROTHER
                        DIAMOND STATUS
                        • Feb 2007

It didn't take long for the Masters to give us its first moment that'll get us banned from Augusta National forever if we don't play it correctly.
                        Aaron Baddeley teed off at 8:51 a.m., part of a pairing that included Vijay Singh and Tim Clark. Baddeley's tee shot lofted up, up, drifted left ... and ended up landing in a woman's lap. Yes, really.
                        According to Golfweek's Sean Martin, the woman remained seated with the ball in her lap until Baddeley arrived. He then marked the ball's spot underneath her chair with a tee. She stood up, the ball dropped to the ground, and Baddeley then placed it at the tee to set up for his second shot. Talk about an awkward moment.
                        The little detour didn't prove a distraction, as Baddeley made par. However, the rest of the round didn't go quite so well; the Aussie dunked a ball on 12 and ended up +3. For such an interesting and promising start, he ended up playing ... Baddeley. (Sorry. So sorry.)
                        Another one of those classic genius posts, sure to generate responses. You log on the next day to see what your witty gem has produced to find no one gets it and 2 knotheads want to stick their dicks in it... Well played, sir!!

Comment

• Blaze
                          Full Member Status

• Jan 2009

Gasp, muffled chatter, and restrained good cheer...

Great story, just when you say... I have seen the tourney enough times, an amusing event like this delivers itself.
                          Still, it is only the practice rounds, which have quite the rambunctious patrons.
                          "I have heard there are troubles of more than one kind. - Some come from ahead and some come from behind. - But I've bought a big bat. I'm all ready you see. - Now my troubles are going to have troubles with me!" ~ Dr. Seuss
                          sigpic

Comment

• chefcraig
                            DIAMOND STATUS
                            • Apr 2004

Originally posted by Blaze
                            Still, it is only the practice rounds, which have quite the rambunctious patrons.
                            The practice rounds were held on Monday. Today is the first day of the tournament.

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
                            ― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• Blaze
                              Full Member Status

• Jan 2009

I see.
                              sigpic

Comment

• ashstralia
                                ROTH ARMY ELITE
                                • Feb 2004

ok, interesting first round. couple of dudes with hot putters, you need that at augusta. cut day tomorrow....

Comment

Working...