Warning: Undefined array key "birthday" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/notice.php on line 1 THWACK! The Golf Thread - The Diamond David Lee Roth Army

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

THWACK! The Golf Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• THWACK! The Golf Thread

just in time for the masters...

where do you play? what do you use? are you any good? ever had an hole in one? best score?
    why all the questions?

because i've had a life long obsession with the game (second only to music, really) that's why.

i'll start. we've got a beautiful local public course, 6700 yards off the blue tees par 71. my best is 75 but average 15 to 20 over. clubs are hogan h40's driving iron then 3 to sw with a gap wedge. driver is a callaway hyper x 9 degree, putter mizuno 9425 id. same one faldo killed the shark with in '96. srixon z-star balls. never had an ace, but hit it to 6 inches a few times. had about 4 or 5 eagles, the most memorable being a slam dunked sand wedge from about 60 yards.

share your golf love!!!!!

I absolutely love the driving range. I can hit those fuckers past the 350 yard sign. Feels so great when you really nail one & watch the fucker sail away into the nether.

But I have never actually golfed a real game. Miniature golf and the real driving range is all. I'm to chicken shit that I would go so slow I'd have to keep telling people to play through us so as not to hold everyone up. I'd love to start though. Plus golf courses are beautiful & peaceful. Would be a great way to keep myself outdoors instead of in front of the PC. Someday. Just need to find at least 1 friend that sucks really bad or is extremely patient to start going with.
    “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Comment

cool mate, gotta give it a go. round here, late on a sunday arvo in summer you can pretty much get the course to yourself. i know where you live is, er, slightly more populated though before you head out, practice a heap of 7 irons on the range... you might surprise youself. and yeah... smashing one down the middle is one of the sweetest feelings there is!

Comment

[IMG][/IMG]

how nice is my local?

Comment

Jesus, don't get me started. I happen to live in what was formerly known as the kingdom of golf, thanks in great part to the weather and abundance of open land. What has happened in the past 25 years here (and more so in the last 6-7 years) here has been enough to make one wish to renounce the game, once and for all.

To begin with, the economy tanked, leading most mom and pop courses (and their driving ranges) to close up and the land sold off to become equally empty strip malls. Affordable municipal courses have been bought out by private concerns, who in turn upgraded the courses and turned them into non-affordable "membership only" types, where simply hitting a bucket of balls (that have remarkably diminished in size) with your family can cost you roughly the same amount of money you spent on your first car.

Due to the same economic woes, what few courses remain open have been forced to cut back on greens-keeping to such a degree that it is advisable to carry your own rake, as well as a pair of garden shears in your bag. As playing fees have been increased, this also means that tee times early in the morning (to avoid the inhospitable heat) have become so outlandish that you are reduced to either playing after work in still balmy conditions, or forgetting about playing completely unless you have planned ahead and taken out a second mortgage to allow playing on the weekend.

So instead of actual play, my friends and I have resorted to playing Golden Tee at the pub, and watching events on television. All I can say is thank God for the Golf Channel. Sadly, I am not alone in watching, and with it's ever-growing popularity is rapidly repeating what undid stations like Discovery and the Food channel: Replacing once great shows and classic reruns (like Shell's Wonderful World Of Golf) with moronic, reality based programming. For Christ's sake, does anyone care about Rush Limbaugh's development as a player or the trials of a bitter, allegedly homeless golfer?

Ultimately, golf is a bizarre sort of sickness that invades your blood. It is expensive, a waste of time, energy and land. And yes, I am hopelessly addicted. By the way, ya know why the sport is called golf, right? Yup, FUCK was already taken.

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
          ― Stephen Hawking

Comment

[IMG][/IMG]
            just like paradise...

Comment

yes craig... fortunately i live in our golf belt. this course will never be built out. as a member, i own about 1/5000th of it. membership is about aud650 per year. in oz, golf has forever been accessible to us commoners. praise and hallelujah, i highly recommend a golfing trip here at least once in your life.

Comment

Originally posted by ashstralia View Post

how nice is my local?

That's what I'm saying. By NOT golfing, I am missing out on some of the very best landscapes & scenery offered.
                “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Comment

yep, good for the soul, mate. here's a friendly kookaburra

Comment

Originally posted by ashstralia View Post
                    praise and hallelujah, i highly recommend a golfing trip here at least once in your life.
                    Believe me, it's on the bucket list. Just seeing things like the Great Barrier Reef and the open vistas of the land on Discovery make me want to visit more and more with each viewing. And the citizens seem to be a terrific bunch to knock back several pints with. Which reminds me, ANZAC Day will soon be upon us.

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
                    ― Stephen Hawking

Comment

Originally posted by chefcraig View Post
                      Believe me, it's on the bucket list. Just seeing things like the Great Barrier Reef and the open vistas of the land on Discovery make me want to visit more and more with each viewing. And the citizens seem to be a terrific bunch to knock back several pints with. Which reminds me, ANZAC Day will soon be upon us.
                      yeah, anzac day falls on easter monday this year. i'd say the whole country will be having tuesday off... possibly wednesday and thursday too

Comment

I am to golf what Ace Diamond is to the electric guitar.

I was better when I was 15 than I am now and I was shit then.

We've been talking in the pub about having another go at the stupid game, I'm not so sure.

The one thing that has surprised me is how incredibly cheap a set of clubs are now compared to back in the day.
                        Last edited by Seshmeister; 03-24-2011, 10:27 AM.

Comment

bit of a travesty there sesh, coming from the home of golf and all.. we're blessed with mild winters too, makes it do-able all year round. i'm actually having a hit tomorrow, yeeha

Comment

Originally posted by Seshmeister View Post
                            The one thing that has surprised me is how incredibly cheap a set of clubs are now compared to back in the day.
                            like anything, you'll still pay top dollar for the good stuff, but the chinese knock-offs are pretty good for the moolah.

Comment

Originally posted by Seshmeister View Post
                              I am to golf what Ace Diamond is to the electric guitar.

Thread idea?

I am to ________ what Ace Diamond is to the electric guitar.

Comment

Working...
                              X