Perpetually Befuddled
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-01-2017 @ 12:20 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,052 Times in 2,583 Posts

Holy shit, what a performance by Rory McIlroy - 4 rounds in the 60s 65–66–68–69, making him only the third player in U.S. Open history to break 70 in all four rounds. Finishing 2-under 69 Sunday to close the four days at Congressional at 16-under 268, he shattering a U.S. Open scoring record held by four players, including Jack Nicklaus and Tiger Woods. Simply amazing to watch.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:53 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,337 Times in 6,024 Posts

He was born the year after Skyscraper came out.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

The Australian.
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    10-07-2023 @ 07:35 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,102 Times in 823 Posts

he's a freaking robot! i'm playing a non-home course tomorrow (tuesday), i'll let y'all know how i go....

The Australian.
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

i had 89 bats for a nett 77. great course, shitloads of bunkers. dr. c got a streak going on the back 9, he played 6 holes in 1 over. our putters deserted us though, probably a dozen 3putts in the foursome. when you play a new course you don't know the speed and the breaks ay. fucking awesome fun day though!!!!

" Littering and...."
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-06-2024 @ 06:43 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Ok..I saw this on around the horn or something ( ESPN) .. possibly the gayest yet funny clip I've seen lately..Some big names in there ( Watson/Mahan/Fowler) ..Im hitting low to mid nineties last few weeks..look out baby..
    <object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/PM2NocuEihw?version=3"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/PM2NocuEihw?version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></object>

6. Thanked Fairwrning for this KICKASS post:

ashstralia (06-24-2011)

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-28-2024 @ 04:08 PM
    Status
    Thanks

I was waiting for bubba to break out some "come on Eileen..."

The Australian.
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

hahaha! classic...

" Littering and...."
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Im not sure whats up with the outfits but , yeah, I immediately thought of the Dixie Dregs when I saw the overalls...best line.."when i play my game I make my mama proud"...pretty funny shit in there..Mahan steals the show in the pimp outfit,,

Perpetually Befuddled
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

The funniest part about this will be when a group of drunken fans in the gallery start serenading these guys with the tune on the back nine whenever they happen to be in contention or when at least two of them are playing together.

The Australian.
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

the open starts in a couple of weeks... can rory do it again? god* i love golf.

*insert your deity of choice, or, if agnostic atheist, global warming and string theorists.

Perpetually Befuddled
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

For countless Americans (including me), the British Open is a non-starter. There are several reasons for this, a few that I'll mention here. To begin with, the course itself is far too wide open. For people used to the close confines of U.S. courses, this is like watching guys chase a ball around a prairie. We are pretty used to seeing a guy drive a ball between columns of trees on a 35 yard wide fairway, not out into the great wide open. (This can be traced to growing up on putt-putt courses with a clown's mouth at the end, which came to full fruition with the God-awful spectacle of "stadium courses" in the early 1980s.)

This also presents another problem, which is how the event is televised. Having to use binoculars while watching any sport is a turn-off for Americans, especially while watching it on tv. Every hole on the Open is filmed from about 3-4 miles away, so there is no form of intimacy involved. You can not see the joy or pain a player's face registers after a shot, which in itself adds a great deal to following the game. OK, I realize this puts the focus on the shot making itself, but people by and large want to empathize with what the individual golfer is going through, as it translates to our own game. And even for those that do not play, it is an integral part of watching the competition.

Then there is that whole time thing. Even for hardcore drinkers, it is difficult to sit back with a cooler full of beer at 7:00 AM. One of the finer parts of following golf on tv is falling asleep on the couch during a Sunday afternoon, waking up to find the coverage still taking place and realizing you haven't missed all that much. If an event ends around 11 o'clock in the morning, it pretty much scuttles your plans for a day of rest and relaxation. You end up watching sports you really don't care about, or even worse, Law & Order, Myth Busters and Pawn Stars reruns along with documentaries about UFOs. It really fucks up your weekend, ya know?

Besides all that, John Daly won the damned thing in 1995. I mean really, John fucking Daly?

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by chefcraig View Post
    For countless Americans (including me), the British Open is a non-starter.
    It's not called 'the British Open' it's the Open.

Perpetually Befuddled
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Depends upon what parcel of land you are standing on. Since sometime in the late 1800s, anyone outside of the U.K. called it the British Open, regardless of whether it was played in Northern Ireland, Scotland or England. If anything, this only reenforces my point regarding American's low regard for the event.
    Last edited by chefcraig; 06-29-2011 at 10:20 AM.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Well that's a disgraceful situation.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Links golf is proper golf, the US stuff is far too sanitized like, as you said, Mini Golf.

I'll admit though that US courses make for better video games.

Perpetually Befuddled
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Which goes a long way toward explaining the runaway popularity of Golden Tee machines in bars and pubs here. You'd be amazed by the amount of "players" of this arcade game that have a defined passion for the sport, yet do not own a set of clubs and have never visited a course in their entire lives. It also goes back to my point regarding the average American's view of the sport, which more often than not reflects our government's imperialistic view taken to just about all matters overseas.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-11-2024 @ 11:19 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,990 Times in 3,229 Posts

Blog Entries
    Then you have annoying Americans coming over to Scotland buying up land and insulting the locals so they can build a giant mini put course there.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

He's arrrrrrrrrrrogant and he's ignorrrrrrrrrrrent.

It's pretty fucking annoying to listen to Trump looking down on people's property when he is only in the position he is from inheriting hundreds of millions. He isn't popular here but reluctantly people accepted that $1 billion investment was too useful and using politicians he eventually pushed through the planning permission.

Latest news though is that it's not going to happen in the way he planned.
    Donald Trump's plan for £750m Scottish golf resort put on hold

US tycoon says golf course will open next year – but complex featuring luxury villas and five-star hotel postponed for now

Severin Carrell, Scotland correspondent

guardian.co.uk, Monday 20 June 2011 19.31 BST

Donald Trump has been forced to postpone his plan to create the "world's greatest" golf resort in Scotland, complete with five-star hotel and luxury villas, because of the global financial crisis.

The billionaire property developer flew into Aberdeen on Monday on his latest luxury jet, a Boeing 757-200 fitted out with a master bedroom and five kitchens, to announce that his championship standard 18-hole golf course overlooking the North Sea would open for play in July next year.

Before touring the first completed holes, Trump said he had spent £50m to £60m of his own money carving the "amazing" course from the vast dunes, and would start taking advance bookings in 10 days. He hoped that Sir Sean Connery, one of the earliest backers of the resort, would open it for him.

"We have been inundated from New York and Scotland from people who want to come and play the course," he said. "Thousands of people have been calling: 'how can we play it?'"

But the tycoon said that the full scheme, a £750m complex featuring a luxury hotel, Trump Boulevard, a golf academy, a second course and timeshare apartments, had been bunkered by the recession.

Trump said "the world has crashed" since he first bought the Menie estate and dunes in 2005, provoking a long-running battle with local residents, councillors and environmental groups about his proposals, which has involved heavily altering the legally protected rare dunes.

The Australian.
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

excellent dissertation, craig. distinction. it's on at 11p to about 4am here. perfect!!!

here's an awesome site for the proper golf nuts...http://www.golfhelp.com/search/searc...category::125/

" Littering and...."
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Incredible finish going on today..How do these guys play in that weather?

Perpetually Befuddled
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

From our "WTF Was Tiger Thinking This Time" department, Woods fires longtime caddie Stevie Williams.

Tiger Woods and Steve Williams officially call it quits

By Shane Bacon YAHOO

Team Tiger announced on its website Wednesday that Steve Williams will no longer be working with Woods as a caddie, ending a 12-year relationship that saw the two rack up 13 of Tiger's 14 major championships.

Here is the official statement from Tiger's website:

"I want to express my deepest gratitude to Stevie for all his help, but I think it's time for a change," Woods said. "Stevie is an outstanding caddie and a friend and has been instrumental in many of my accomplishments. I wish him great success in the future."

While it might be a big change, it isn't exactly surprising. Williams has been working with Adam Scott since Tiger has been injured, and the two seem to have a good chemistry together. Along with that, it seems that anything and everything that Woods can change to get him on a different path with his golf game would be a smart move, and although some suggested this back in 2009, it finally came Wednesday.

Williams posted an update on his website, saying, "After 13 years of loyal service needless to say this came as a shock. Given the circumstances of the past 18 months working through Tiger's scandal, a new coach and with it a major swing change and Tiger battling through injuries I am very disappointed to end our very successful partnership at this time. I have had the opportunity to work of late for Australian Adam Scott and will now caddy for him on a permanent basis."

The caddie-player relationship has always been an interesting one. If you think about it, most PGA Tour players spend more time with their caddie than they do with their family, and while there are some relationships like Phil Mickelson and Jim Mackay that look like they'll never end, players change caddies all the time (just ask any LPGA player you know).

No replacement has been announced for Tiger yet, and since there is nothing else to say, we might as well remember two moments that defined the relationship between Williams and Woods.

The first came at the 2006 British Open, Tiger's first major win since the passing of his father, Earl. Woods rolled in the winning putt, and collapsed in Williams' arms on the green, not letting go as he sobbed on the looper's shoulder. The second came at the 2009 Bay Hill Invitational, when Tiger's birdie putt disappeared and his return from injury was complete. They both celebrated like it was their first win, and the competitive nature of both player and athlete shined through.

Most regard Williams as one of the best caddies ever, and while it looks like his relationship with Scott will continue, the waiting game will be just who is the next to carry the bag of Mr. Woods.

The Australian.
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

wow, heard this on the news this morn. steve's probably got enough money to retire twice, maybe the challenge of helping adam win a major or two appeals to his professional ego? tiger might be years of rehab (and a ground up swing rebuild) away from his best golf, and they both know it. if adam can learn to roll the pressure putts, he could win a few big ones. smart move all round imho.

"EVERYBODY UP!!!"™
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-20-2021 @ 05:28 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,978 Times in 1,378 Posts

More dirt....

HERE

Perpetually Befuddled
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Jesus. Ya know something? I'd be willing to bet that Tiger is just about shitting himself sideways over the idea that Williams might be entertaining tell-all book offers about now. Unless Steve signed some sort of confidentiality agreement, Woods' reputation could even sink lower.

" Littering and...."
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Mickelson is playing the Greenbriar..I can get passes for $40...may have to go walk the grounds Saturday.

Perpetually Befuddled
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Fairwrning View Post
    Mickelson is playing the Greenbriar..I can get passes for $40...may have to go walk the grounds Saturday.
    That's one of the nice things about following Phil: Chances are he'll make the cut and still be there on the weekend.

" Littering and...."
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I think he will be playing late Saturday as well..

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I don't think he's missed a cut this year yet...

Of course, knowing wrning's luck...

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I love links golf...I've always liked watching European golf as a whole...

" Littering and...."
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Now I will feel bad if Phil misses the damn cut

Perpetually Befuddled
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Tiger commits to World Golf Championships-Bridgestone

PGATour.com

AKRON, Ohio -- Tiger Woods officially committed to the World Golf Championships-Bridgestone Invitational today, marking his return to competitive golf at a venue that has been very kind to him throughout his career. Firestone Country Club's historic South Course has served as the event's host venue for 11 of the last 12 years and was the stage for all of Woods' seven victories. Woods and a field that includes Charl Schwartzel, Rory McIlroy, Darren Clarke, Luke Donald, Nick Watney, K.J. Choi, Phil Mickelson, Hunter Mahan and Dustin Johnson will again challenge the South Course at Firestone Country Club for the season's third World Golf Championships event, Aug. 3-7.

The field will be finalized when the commitment deadline passes at 5 p.m. ET today.

Woods, who won the Bridgestone Invitational from 1999-2001, 2005-2007 and again in 2009, joins a field comprised of tournament winners from around the world and one that annually ranks as one of the strongest and deepest of the year. Joining Woods among the players already qualified are 2011 major championship winners Schwartzel (the Masters Tournament), McIlroy (U.S. Open) and Clarke (British Open).

The winners of the season's first two World Golf Championships events, Donald (Accenture Match Play Championship), and current FedExCup points leader Watney (Cadillac Championship), have also qualified and will both have the opportunity to become the first player since Mickelson (Cadillac Championship/HSBC Champions) in 2009 to capture two World Golf Championships events in a single season. Mickelson is qualified for the Bridgestone Invitational via his victory in April at the Shell Houston Open.

"Tiger Woods' record here at the Bridgestone Invitational truly speaks for itself, and we're excited he has joined what is shaping up to be an incredible field," said Executive Director Donald Padgett III. "We look forward to welcoming our fans to Firestone Country Club and those from around the world through our international television partners for what promises to be a memorable and thrilling week of competition."

The Bridgestone Invitational will mark Woods' first competitive start since he withdrew from THE PLAYERS Championship in May after just nine holes with injuries to his left knee and left Achilles tendon. In five starts in 2011, not including THE PLAYERS, Woods' best result was a T4 at The Masters. In two previous starts this year in World Golf Championships events, he lost in the first round to Thomas Bjorn at the Accenture Match Play Championship and finished T10 at the Cadillac Championship.

Woods is one of four past champions already qualified for the Bridgestone Invitational along with Clarke (2003), Stewart Cink (2004) and defending champion Hunter Mahan (2010).

If not otherwise qualified, the winner of this week's Greenbrier Classic on the PGA TOUR and Irish Open on the European Tour would have the opportunity to join Woods and the game's best in the field at the Bridgestone Invitational. Both events are expected to have an Official World Golf Ranking Strength of Field Rating of at least 115 points. In addition, any player not otherwise qualified who moves into the top 50 of the Official World Golf Ranking on Monday, Aug. 1, will earn a last-minute trip to Firestone.

Perpetually Befuddled
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

That's one of the nice things about following Phil: Chances are he'll make the cut and still be there on the weekend.
    Quote Originally Posted by POJO_Risin View Post
    I don't think he's missed a cut this year yet...

Of course, knowing wrning's luck...
    Quote Originally Posted by Fairwrning View Post
    Now I will feel bad if Phil misses the damn cut
    Crap, aren't we the kiss of death. Phil shot 3 over and missed the cut.

The Australian.
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ashstralia View Post
    if adam can learn to roll the pressure putts, he could win a few big ones. smart move all round imho.
    hehe... nice win at the wgc scotty! bring on the uspga. go aussies!

" Littering and...."
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Crap, aren't we the kiss of death. Phil shot 3 over and missed the cut.
    Sorry Phil

On a lighter note<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/jNRbvRuRO60?version=3"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/jNRbvRuRO60?version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></object>

The Australian.
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

hehehe... asian chicks, good at oral, not so good at aural. i'm going out for a smash today.

The Australian.
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

i had 86 hits today in extremely testy windy conditions off the back tees. short game and putting above average. leading by five strokes.

The Australian.
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

i should clarify, i was drinky celebratory. it was round one of our club championships. rds 2 and 3 next saturday and sunday, round 4 the following saturday. woohoo!!!! had a birdie on the 575 yard par 5 5th. not many birdies out there yesterday.

The Australian.
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

ladies and gentlemen; your 2011 c grade club champion is....... ashstralia!!!!!! thangya verra mush.

a.k.a. Flappo The Grate
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    10-17-2023 @ 11:02 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Is Tiger back? He won his first tournament in 2 years this weekend. Sure would be great if he could get it going again.

http://www.cbssports.com/golf/story/...ar-win-drought

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-11-2024 @ 11:19 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,990 Times in 3,229 Posts

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Texan View Post
    Is Tiger back? He won his first tournament in 2 years this weekend. Sure would be great if he could get it going again.

http://www.cbssports.com/golf/story/...ar-win-drought
    I never understood what the fuss was about Tiger and all those women. He was just doing his job. Golfers sink their balls into a hole and then move onto the next hole.

Thread Information