Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 LastLast

Thread: MLB 2014 Season thread

your last loose end
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Yeah, he did a lights out job on the sleeping batters for an inning.

fourthcoming
    At least Jeets got a hit......that's pretty much all I can say for that lame ass game. Go Yankees

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by chi-town324 View Post
    all star game....yawn
    Did you happen to play for the AL?

Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by fourthcoming View Post
    Thank God the All Star crap is done. What a waste of friggin time. It's rediculous how the worst game of the year determines home field in the World series......dumbest thing baseball has ever done.
    Good job N. L. ! However , I'm not too convinced that this is the proper way to determine World Series home field advantage .

I'm happy for Tony Larussa , the second most victorious manager in the history of MLB . You can't deny that he defines baseball success .

Dumbest thing baseball has ever done ? No , that would be denying proven black players entry into the league till the late 1940's .
    A close second would be the D.H. If you wear a uniform and handle the ball , you should swing the bat as well . The D.H. just allows watered down baseball . At the least , it has provides some players with eroded or inadequate fielding skills to swing the bat and possibly further their careers .
    Last edited by Green Manalishi; 07-11-2012 at 06:01 PM.

ALABAMA CHROME!
    Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I think home field advantage should go to the team with the best record. Plain and simple.

I have no idea why it's never been done that way...

On a different note... WTF happened to the Dodgers? They pretty much fell apart. BTW, the Bombers are still hitting bombs. Fuckin mashers ovadare...
    You're gonna hear the angels sing...

fourthcoming
    C.C. looking good last night.....

ALABAMA CHROME!
    Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    And Kuroda tonight...

fourthcoming
    OOFA......A's did a number on the bombers this weekend. Not a bad team in Oakland.....very scrappy.

ALABAMA CHROME!
    Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Yes they did.... Didn't they win every game on a walk off? I guess loosing 4 in a row isn't a big deal when your team is about 20 games over .500...

ALABAMA CHROME!
    Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Lots of big news!!! Cole resigns with the Phils, Yanks get Ichiro, Dodgers get Hanley! Oh and A Rod goes down for at least 6 weeks...

Enemy of the Clique

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by qikgts View Post
    Lots of big news!!! Cole resigns with the Phils, Yanks get Ichiro, Dodgers get Hanley! Oh and A Rod goes down for at least 6 weeks...
    Good for Ichiro. The Mariners showed no respect for the guy for not defending him against the comments Buehner was making. Ichiro did much for that club. He deserved at least a we'd like to keep him let's see if we can work something out. Fuck Boner. Even if he felt that way his comments showed about as much class as Clyde Drexlers recent comments about Magic Johnson. None.

Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I took off a half day from work to go watch the Cardinals vs. the Dodgers at Busch Stadium .
    My Cards won 7 - 4 and took 3 outta 4 from the Dodgers . They are still in it and it looks like it's
    gonna come down the wire once again in the N.L. Central .

Interesting stat : The Cards and Dodgers have played eachother 2,010 times .
    The Cards have won 1,004 games , the Dodgers were victorious in 1,006 games .

Enemy of the Clique

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I was watching baseball highlights today and saw where the commisioner is considering using instant replay for trapped ball catches and foul line calls. I don't see how that would work. The players are gonna react by the call on the field. What would they do in the event of a bad call? I think instant replay might work on close baserunning calls but that's about it.

Mind-Roaster
    Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I agree. How do you fix a bad call in most of these cases?

How about when guys dive into the stands and don't catch the ball?
    David Lee Roth's the greatest motherfucker who ever lived!
    — Brian Moore (@brianpmoore666) June 26, 2012

Enemy of the Clique

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by damngoodtimes View Post
    I agree. How do you fix a bad call in most of these cases?

How about when guys dive into the stands and don't catch the ball?
    If you try to catch a foul ball touch it and then drop it is it a live ball? Can you tag up and advance after a foul ball is caught in the air?

ever wonder why u wonder
    Foot Soldier
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by motherchicken View Post
    If you try to catch a foul ball touch it and then drop it is it a live ball? Can you tag up and advance after a foul ball is caught in the air?
    No if you drop it its just a foul ball and runners can not advance . But if you catch it you may advance .

My tickets in the mail yet?

Sweet Talkin' Ladies Man
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Yanks are 3-8 in their last 11 games. These are the things baseball teams have to deal with since it is such a long season. Luckily they were way out in front so they are still in good shape.
    Talk Classic Rock - The Official Message Board For Classic Rock -- Now on XenForo!

ALABAMA CHROME!
    Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    For the Yankees sake, they took 2 of 4 from Detroit. Now just a 5.5 game lead they have over the O's since KC beat them tonight...

Anyone see the call in the NYY vs Detroit game today that led to Girardi getting tossed and leading to the game being played under protest? I saw the clip. A weak fly ball was hit to left field and it landed kicking up some chalk. From Girardi's prospective, he claimed the 3rd base umpire called the ball foul then changed his mind and signaled it fair causing the left fielder (Ibanez) to pull up on it and then have to go full speed again. The mishap may have led to the, at the time, go ahead run scoring. In the end it didn't matter because Mark Teixeira and Eric Chavez hit back-to-back home runs giving the Yankees the lead and eventual win... It was fun to watch Girardi lose his shit and get run though...

ROTH KILL!
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Its fuckin' neck to neck between the Tigers and the White Sox, holy shit!

your last loose end
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Was at the Yankee game last night. Casey McGehee got up to the plate with Unchained blasting. Love hearing that song at a game. Tino Martinez used to bat to that tune, back when the old stadium sound system was a stack of car speakers.

ALABAMA CHROME!
    Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by DLR Bridge View Post
    Was at the Yankee game last night. Casey McGehee got up to the plate with Unchained blasting. Love hearing that song at a game. Tino Martinez used to bat to that tune, back when the old stadium sound system was a stack of car speakers.
    Good to know McGehee is a classic VH fan albeit a little younger than most...

How bout King Felix going perfect! I'm so glad it was against the Rays too!

your last loose end
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Good to know McGehee is a classic VH fan albeit a little younger than most...
    Just looked up his age. 29. Born in '82. God, this getting old is for the birds.

Professional Smartass
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    How bout King Felix going perfect! I'm so glad it was against the Rays too!
    Couldn't happen to a better guy, either. He's all about the team, and I think he genuinely wants to stay here. It would certainly be nice if we could keep him. I'm more than a bit tired of our best players always getting traded away.

All Hail the King!
    ROTH ARMY MILITIA

Originally posted by EAT MY ASSHOLE
    Sharky sometimes needs things spelled out for him in explicit, specific detail. I used to think it was a lawyer thing, but over time it became more and more evident that he's merely someone's idiot twin.

Sweet Talkin' Ladies Man
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Guitar Shark View Post
    Couldn't happen to a better guy, either. He's all about the team, and I think he genuinely wants to stay here. It would certainly be nice if we could keep him. I'm more than a bit tired of our best players always getting traded away.

All Hail the King!
    Great pitcher. Is he a free agent after this season?

Sweet Talkin' Ladies Man
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

ALABAMA CHROME!
    Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Bucky "Fuckin" Dent!!!!

Tonight those Massholes are screaming Nick "Fuckin" Swisher!!!
    Last edited by qikgts; 08-17-2012 at 11:58 PM.

ALABAMA CHROME!
    Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by DLR Bridge View Post
    Just looked up his age. 29. Born in '82. God, this getting old is for the birds.
    I wonder if heard any VH in the womb? No doubt, the clock never stops...

Ya know, he's been in the lineup for the last few nights and I've watched most of the games on TV but I haven't heard Unchained being played. I'll keep listening for it though!
    Last edited by qikgts; 08-17-2012 at 11:57 PM.

ALABAMA CHROME!
    Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Guitar Shark View Post

All Hail the King!
    That's a great attitude to convey especially for a guy who's had as much success as he's had. From the size of free agent pitcher contracts these days it's really refreshing to think he would want to stay. I'd like to see the M's win more too being a small market team and all.

fourthcoming
    Seriously, this guy Derek Jeter is one of the all time greats. Dude is leading the league with hits at the age of 38.

16 consecutive years with 10 or more home runs
    batting .320 at age 38
    191 postseason hits (record)
    only person besides Willie Mays to have over 3,000 hits, 250 HR, 300 SB and 1,2000 RBI over his career.

And, he was smart enough to get rid of skanks like Mariah and Minka.

ALABAMA CHROME!
    Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Seriously, this guy Derek Jeter is one of the all time greats. Dude is leading the league with hits at the age of 38.

16 consecutive years with 10 or more home runs
    batting .320 at age 38
    191 postseason hits (record)
    only person besides Willie Mays to have over 3,000 hits, 250 HR, 300 SB and 1,2000 RBI over his career.

And, he was smart enough to get rid of skanks like Mariah and Minka.
    Jeter is a first ballot choice, no doubt. But, why ya gotta slight Rickey Henderson like that bro... I know, I know, "The Man Of Steal" only had like 1100 RBI's...

fourthcoming
    No slight against Rickey at all......he was an amazing ballplayer. I definitely was not trying to slight anyone, especially Rickey. That dude was great. I remember sitting on the left field line at Yankee Stadium and the Yanks were playing the A's in 1994. Yanks scored 12 runs in the 6th inning I believe and there were a ton of pitching changes. Rickey was playing Left field that day.....don't remember why...but every time there was a pitching change he came over to the left field wall and was talking to the fans. At the time there was a rumor he might be coming back to the Yanks. The fans were asking him about it and he said he would love to come back. Fans were asking him about Billy martin who had died 5 years earlier and he kept saying how much he missed him and how much of a father figure he was to Rickey. Guy was totally cool. A few weeks later, with Donnie baseball and my Yankees in first place by 5 games over Baltimore, baseball went on strike and killed the season.

fourthcoming
    BTW........Buck Foston.
    Last edited by fourthcoming; 08-20-2012 at 09:09 AM.

ALABAMA CHROME!
    Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Guess I should have added an emoticon or lol somewhere. I was just bustin your chops...

I have a great Rickey story too. In the spring of 1985 I got to be a bat boy for the Yankees in Ft. Lauderdale. (FWIW. I was a bat boy for the Ft. Lauderdale Yankees from like 81-86 and then I worked in the clubhouse for the Greensboro Hornets (Class A) for about 1/2 the season in 1991. Pettitte, Posada, Shane Spencer and after I had left Jeter was on that 1991 club too. I could talk about guys like Jose Rijo, Orestes Destrade, Bob Tewksbury, Brian Butterfield, Rex Hudler, Buck Showalter- a lowly coach at the time, Bucky "Fuckin" Dent- a not so great manager at that point and kind of funny with the direction this thread is going right now, the list goes on and on.)

Anyway, Rickey was hurt that spring and spent a lot of time in the clubhouse and needless to say I did too with stars like Winfield, Pinella, Berra, Whitey Ford and all the others being around. Well, there was an article written about me that appeared in the local newspaper I guess at the behest of my Dad, and I shit you not (lol), Rickey was in the can reading the paper and he starts calling out to me to get him a pen. I got him one, and he slides the article out from under the stall with his signature on it! I couldn't believe it! It was crazy! What I remember taking away from him that spring was how much he loved playing baseball. It was all he ever wanted to do and he not only got to do it but he OWNED IT! I have mad respect for his passion...

Here's a pic of the article. Andre Robertson signed it after Rickey because he was right there...

Last edited by qikgts; 08-21-2012 at 10:23 PM.

fourthcoming
    Very cool shit bro!!!.....wow....Andre robertson, Orestes Destrada.......damn....haven't heard those names in centuries!!! Those were some lean years.....the Dallas green Years were tough. That must have been really cool for you to have done that.....thanks for sharing man.

ALABAMA CHROME!
    Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    It really was a lot of fun. I got to experience stuff most people only dream of and I guess I kind of took it a little for granted.

I'll say this though, I would kill to have seen as many games in Yankee Stadium as you have. I know it has to be a ton!

You're definitely right, most of those 80's teams didn't bring much joy to Yankee fans. The Boss just spent and spent and wound up with nothing but an empty trophy case. They won games, just not enough to win the division...

fourthcoming
    It's funny cuz they won the most games of any team in the 1980's but had nothing to show for it. Never had enough pitching and the Boss was batshit crazy back then. If there was a wild card in the 80's they would have been there every year. I do enjoy going to games, love the new stadium, but it's just not the same. I miss the old stadium.

ALABAMA CHROME!
    Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    It's funny cuz they won the most games of any team in the 1980's but had nothing to show for it. Never had enough pitching and the Boss was batshit crazy back then. If there was a wild card in the 80's they would have been there every year. I do enjoy going to games, love the new stadium, but it's just not the same. I miss the old stadium.
    Right on the money. Who knows how many more WS they could have won.

Looks like Nova may be headed to the DL. On his way back to NY today to check his sore shoulder. Did you hear about Pineda's DUI? I think he also has Pavano disease.

Almost forgot, how bout Clemens making a start Saturday?
    Last edited by qikgts; 08-22-2012 at 07:12 PM.

Enemy of the Clique

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    That's a great attitude to convey especially for a guy who's had as much success as he's had. From the size of free agent pitcher contracts these days it's really refreshing to think he would want to stay. I'd like to see the M's win more too being a small market team and all.
    Felix is making $19,700,000 this year. Not bad for a player on a small market team.

Professional Smartass
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob_R View Post
    Great pitcher. Is he a free agent after this season?
    No, he is signed through 2014. Apparently he went on the local radio yesterday and "promised" that he would never leave Seattle. I don't read too much into that, but he does seem genuinely interested in staying.

ALABAMA CHROME!
    Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by motherchicken View Post
    Felix is making $19,700,000 this year. Not bad for a player on a small market team.
    Fuck n a right it ain't bad! I didn't know he already had the cheese!

Thread Information