Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 LastLast

Thread: MLB 2014 Season thread

fourthcoming
    Couldn't agree with you more DLR. You would think the team would have come out inspired and would have their managers back last night. The thing that bothers me the most is the approach the hitters are taking in their at bats. Perfect example is Cano. The at bat before A-Rod choked and couldn't produce a sac fly. Cano is up there....men on 1st and 2nd 3-1 count and he is swinging at ball 4 low and inside and grounds out. Their whole hitting philosophy is what gets me. It's a very greedy approach. Instead of moving the lineup along and passing the baton, each guy is way too eager to be the hero. Too many guys swinging for the fences instead of cutting down their swing with 2 strikes or being happy with a walk. Cano walks in that spot their looking at bases loaded no out. Granted Alexis probably does nothing but there is still only one out. Swisher, who is also useless in the postseason gets up and hits what would have been a sac fly after Arod. It's not a given that Swisher would have produced a sac fly.....could have struck out or hit into a dp instead but if Cano, who if he was a smart ballplayer could be an all time great, would have approached his at bat smartly, your giving your team 2 chances to produce a sac fly instead of one. Very frustrating. It's frustrating too that there is a generation of Yankee fans now who don't know what it was like before 1996. 1993-1994-1995.....those were exciting, great years.....guys like Boggs and Donnie Baseball preached patience at the plate and led by example. None of these fugazzi Yankee fans even know who the hell Stump Merrill is or know about the lean years. Baseball isn't all about hitting home runs and star power....it's not a brutish game....it's still a game of thought combined with skill. Anyway,Go Yanks.

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    After Martin and Ibanez magical homers I thought this team would be going to rip through the O`s fast but here we are Game 5 WTF...
    Now who`s that babe with the fab-u-lous shad-ow?

fourthcoming
    You can't really look past a team like the O's and look to the next series, but the yankees would have been set up perfectly for Detroit if they had won last night. Carsten Charles needs to come through tonight. Then again, Hughes pitched his ass off last night....the bullpen too and it didn't make a difference. You would think the O's are throwing Palmer, Cuellarr and McNally against us this series.

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    CC tonight and the rotation is broken ......In hockey and baseball playoffs I have a rule to never put my money on a team that goes to the wire in the first round to win it all.....the fresher the players the better the odds...but thats just me...I still favor the bombers tonight

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    If the O's win, I'm gonna have an O'-face!

your last loose end
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Aaahh the lean years. Showalter was there. Seems like forever ago. I still remember how hard the Yanks fought Seattle in the '95 playoffs. You hit the nail on the head. Donnie baseball wasn't about one guy. It was a team wide mindset. I think I'd like to see him manage the Yanks at some point down the road still.

your last loose end
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Tonight's Yankee line up:

Jete
    Ich (eech)
    Robbie
    Tex
    RAAUUUUULLL!!
    Swish
    The Grandy Man
    Martin
    Chavez (the Spirit horse)

Anyone missing? Nah.

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    In my book your best player must be better than the opponents best....27 million dollar man on the bench really? in a decisive game 5? Can't wait to see those Girardi balls of steel...lol

your last loose end
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Are you saying A-Rod should be in there based on the amount of money he makes? If so, I couldn't disagree more. If he was making twice as much as he is now or half as much as Eduardo Nunez, his current numbers on the field drive the bus of the decision makers. Shit, Granderson should even get his butt sat down for this one.

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    ARod is making so much money because he is considered the best player....and no he shouldn't be playing if he can't handle the fucking pressure...but its a mental game...hes not alone Grande, swisher,cano...all I'm saying is your best player must be the best or you're fucked.

ALABAMA CHROME!
    Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by DLR Bridge View Post
    Shit, Granderson should even get his butt sat down for this one.
    Good thing that didn't happen! Maybe he'll get hot now after finally going deep! Hell, I'd take a productive 5 for his next 25 at this point!

Damn CC was good tonight! It did start to get a little tense in the 8th though.

Ok Tigers fans! Let's play for the pennant!!!
    You're gonna hear the angels sing...

Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Me Wise Cardinals Magic MotherFuckers ! Bring On The God-Damn Giants !

Mission : 12 in '12 !
    Last edited by Green Manalishi; 10-13-2012 at 01:56 AM.

fourthcoming
    Big C.....came up huge last night.

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Sooo......CC was great last night especially when he struck out McLouth on a changeup in the eight...great pitching!

Now Aroid...did not play against a right-handed pitcher last night ...do we play him at all against Detroit (all of their starters are right-handed)?

Sweet Talkin' Ladies Man
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by So this is love View Post
    ......In hockey and baseball playoffs I have a rule to never put my money on a team that goes to the wire in the first round to win it all.....the fresher the players the better the odds...but thats just me...
    So you won't be putting any money down on this years' World Series then.
    Talk Classic Rock - The Official Message Board For Classic Rock -- Now on XenForo!

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Make no mistake my favorite team is the Yankees but nope I wouldn't put any money on them for the WS...rules are made to be bent but sober I wouldn't

Sweet Talkin' Ladies Man
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by So this is love View Post
    Make no mistake my favorite team is the Yankees but nope I wouldn't put any money on them for the WS...rules are made to be bent but sober I wouldn't
    I hear ya dude. The point of my post was that all 4 teams had to go to 5 games to advance. Someone is going to win it. So, by default you will not be putting any money down on this years' World Series.

Sweet Talkin' Ladies Man
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Last edited by Bob_R; 10-13-2012 at 03:14 PM.

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob_R View Post
    I hear ya dude. The point of my post was that all 4 teams had to go to 5 games to advance. Someone is going to win it. So, by default you will not be putting any money down on this years' World Series.
    Now knowing this new fact, (didn't have time to check the other series...oops) I will have to reconsider...

ALABAMA CHROME!
    Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    The thing that's pissin me off about Mr. May and his reliable non-performance is that he doesn't even look like he's upset. I'd have emptied the bat rack, thrown every helmet and destroyed the closest Gatorade cooler night after night until I snapped out of it. This fucker can't even get frustrated right!

ALABAMA CHROME!
    Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    The Captain is done for the year and maybe he'll be healed to start spring training. Oh my. This doesn't look good at all.

I guess Nunez will be put back on the roster now...

ROTH KILL!
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    GO TIGERS! Although I wish Jim Leyland wouldn't take so damn long to call the bullpen and leave Valverde out there.

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I want Detroit and can't stand the Yankees, but it really sucks that Jeter is out, he's a great talent and apparently a pretty good guy. Even Red Sox fans like Derek Jeter!

∞ SHEEP PEN GYPSY
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    TIGERS all the way...............

sucks to see Jeter get hurt......Prince Fielder says hes the same guy he was as a rookie (Papp Cecil was on the Yankees that year)....a GRATE guy....

wishing Jeter all the best & a speedy recovery

fourthcoming
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickdfresh View Post
    I want Detroit and can't stand the Yankees, but it really sucks that Jeter is out, he's a great talent and apparently a pretty good guy. Even Red Sox fans like Derek Jeter!
    That's a classy post right there. Really sux that Jeets got hurt. Sux too that Ibanez, Ichiro and Tex and occassionally Martin and Nix are the only batters who bothered to show up. Detroit/Cardinals in the Series. Should be a grand total of 6 people watching, but good for them. That dude Smyley for Detroit and even Dotel pitched their asses off in game 1.

your last loose end
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I was at Saturday night's game. A friend scored dream seats from his work. Sat 5 rows behind that A-hole Guliani. I know the players heard my shout outs, because everyone is so uppity in that section. That wasn't going to shut my blue collar big mouth none. Best part of the game was watching the comeback from out in the giant hallway on the big screen over the Hard Rock Cafe enterence. Place was packed with people ready to push through the turnstiles to make a mad dash to catch the last NJ train. Ichiro home run, the place went nuts. Raul's, you could hear a pin drop after he hit it. Soon as it dropped in the crowd, the place went berserk. Complete strangers hugging. Best part of the game was standing in a concourse. Unfortunately, the night was all downhill from there. Lost the game, lost Jete and missed the last train by two fucking minutes and ended up taking a cab home from Newark. Oh well. As Curtis Granderson would deadpan, "that's baseball."

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I was at Saturday night's game. A friend scored dream seats from his work. Sat 5 rows behind that A-hole Guliani. I know the players heard my shout outs, because everyone is so uppity in that section. That wasn't going to shut my blue collar big mouth none. Best part of the game was watching the comeback from out in the giant hallway on the big screen over the Hard Rock Cafe enterence. Place was packed with people ready to push through the turnstiles to make a mad dash to catch the last NJ train. Ichiro home run, the place went nuts. Raul's, you could hear a pin drop after he hit it. Soon as it dropped in the crowd, the place went berserk. Complete strangers hugging. Best part of the game was standing in a concourse. Unfortunately, the night was all downhill from there. Lost the game, lost Jete and missed the last train by two fucking minutes and ended up taking a cab home from Newark. Oh well. As Curtis Granderson would deadpan, "that's baseball."
    Why has their been so many empty seats in Yankee Stadium in all these Playoff games?

your last loose end
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Von Halen View Post
    Why has their been so many empty seats in Yankee Stadium in all these Playoff games?
    I don't know. I noticed that all of the seats that were behind the foul poles on each section were empty. I assumed they wanted to keep the visibility for any close home run calls completely clear.

Damn, that umpire screwed up with that call at second last night. Would have been a lot easier for the sleepy Yanks to manufacture a run to tie if they got out of that inning. Bad call aside, they truly are not playing like a team that deserves to be there.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I don't know. I noticed that all of the seats that were behind the foul poles on each section were empty. I assumed they wanted to keep the visibility for any close home run calls completely clear.

Damn, that umpire screwed up with that call at second last night. Would have been a lot easier for the sleepy Yanks to manufacture a run to tie if they got out of that inning. Bad call aside, they truly are not playing like a team that deserves to be there.
    Tons of empty seats behind home plate, and the dugouts too. Crazy.

The Yanks run production is basically zilch. They are making some average pitchers look like Cy Young candidates. Now they get Verlander!

your last loose end
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    And they've been taking great outings by their own pitchers (no hitter into the 6th last night FFS!) and wasting them.

Back to the unfilled seat issue. They're too damn expensive. Bottom line. All of this big dumb money the players demand has ruined for the fans. I wouldn't doubt that most people who ended up at these games got in the way I did. Someone got comped some shmuze tickets from work. I'll always be a Yankee fan, but I also will forever be disgusted by how much money has ruined the enjoyment of getting to the stadium. It's not for families any more. Only fat cats. And the fat cats in the head office don't seem to mind that all of those seats towards the front are half empty. They got their money for them already. If I want to take my family out to a ball game, we do minor league games.

Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    This is how I heard it explained on MLB network the season the new stadium opened . Apparently this didn't go so un-noticed during broadcasts of Yankees games during the innaugural season of the new Yankee Stadium .
    The great majority of people simple cannot affords those seats . Apparently they are in the 4 figure range . Also , the powers that be for the Yankees begged the televisers to please show only certain strategic shots during Yankees games so that the empty seats wouldn't be so noticeable . They considered it " an embarrasment "
    Regardless , it's still on my " to do " list to see a game at Yankees Stadium someday . I appreciate and respect the history of the " classic " Yankees . On that note , I wish Derek Jeter a full recovery . I feel he could have played during any era and still be a All Star and a class act . Good Luck to the Captain !
    I'm still hoping for a Cards vs. Yanks World Series .

ROTH KILL!
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Oh yeah! 2-0 with Verlander at Comerica Park tomorrow! GO TIGERS!

fourthcoming
    Heard on WFAN this morning that dickhead Arod after he was benched in game 1 in the 9th was autographing 2 baseballs and sending them to 2 hot chicks with instructions to put their phone numbers on the ball and return to him. One did by the way. That's where this guy's head is at after being benched in a playoff game. And Swisher bitching and moaning about the fans? See ya Swish....good luck and have fun acting like a complete moron for all 2,800 fans in Kansas City next year when your playing for the Royals. I know it's Verlander tonight.....but it ain't over till it's over.....even if it is getting late early. Good for you DLR being a blue collar fan in a sea of lame, corporate, know nothing Manhattanite Yankee fans.

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Yeah saw the two womens pic in the NYPost...(not bad especially in comparison to Madonna)...the guy is an idiot for doing this in front of the camera or he wants out of NY fast...but who is to take his contract?

your last loose end
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by fourthcoming View Post
    Good for you DLR being a blue collar fan in a sea of lame, corporate, know nothing Manhattanite Yankee fans.
    People were looking at me like they were contemplating requesting that I be escorted out. I wasn't even drunk! They should consider themselves lucky.

Yeah, if that's true about A-Rod, he needs to die in a fire (apologies to jhale667). Swisher knows his days are numbered. Why he'd want to end this chapter of his life on a sour note is beyond me. I admire his positive attitude, but he's clearly immature as well. If you can't block out a dumb drunk fan exclaiming it was his fault Jeter got hurt, then go play with a paper thin skin somewhere else. Perhaps KC.

As far as the Yanks hopes go, I'm not giving up on them yet. They dropped the 1st two games of the '96 World Series at home and turned it around. This current team, all choking aside, could potentially be far more dangerous. The fat lady hasn't even cleared her throat yet.

ever wonder why u wonder
    Foot Soldier
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Tons of empty seats behind home plate, and the dugouts too. Crazy.

The Yanks run production is basically zilch. They are making some average pitchers look like Cy Young candidates. Now they get Verlander!
    Was At Friday's game 5 against the O's. I from Baltimore and had no problem getting seats cheap. At first pitch they were lucky to have 10k there. Sad very sad. On a side note just wish Jeter broke his ankle in our first game of series.

My tickets in the mail yet?

fourthcoming
    You have bigger things to worry about with your Ravens bro! Those fuckers cost me on a back door cover. They are banged up health wise......ok....I'll stop....it's a baseball thread. Camden Yards is friggin sweet by the way.....was there last month to watch the Yankees spank the O's in the final game of the series. The game after Tex was called out at first on a double play he beat by a mile.

ever wonder why u wonder
    Foot Soldier
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by fourthcoming View Post
    You have bigger things to worry about with your Ravens bro! Those fuckers cost me on a back door cover. They are banged up health wise......ok....I'll stop....it's a baseball thread. Camden Yards is friggin sweet by the way.....was there last month to watch the Yankees spank the O's in the final game of the series. The game after Tex was called out at first on a double play he beat by a mile.
    No doubt they are banged up. With 10 games left 6on the Road. Looks like the end of Ray Lewis career. Oh yeah baseball thread...
    Go to 20-30 games a year at The Yard even when losing 100 games a season. Karma is a bitch after CC broke Markakis hand 1 1/2 month ago.

ALABAMA CHROME!
    Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Just to contribute... Both A-Rod and Swisher are sitting tonight...

ROTH KILL!
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Fuckin' rain delay ruined my evening!

Thread Information