Thread: Rolling Stone puts 1984 at no. 81 on the list of greatest 80's albums.

Fear the Elf
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

Rolling Stone puts 1984 at no. 81 on the list of greatest 80's albums.

Good News: NO 0U812 OR 5150

Bad News: Rolling Stone still couldn't tell it's ass from a hole in the ground

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/li...-1984-19691231

Some of these records I have never heard, nor care to ever hear. Fucking Def Leppard ranked ahead of Van Halen? That's bullshit, outside of Rick Allen (who's a badass), what a bunch of wankers those guys are.
    Still waiting for a relevant Browns Team

Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Rolling Stone is a fucking joke! Fair Warning has to be the most underrated album of all time. At least by non Van Halen fans.

Fear the Elf
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by TAKIN WHISKEY View Post
    Rolling Stone is a fucking joke! Fair Warning has to be the most underrated album of all time. At least by non Van Halen fans.
    Fair Warning has really grown on me throughout the years. I used to think that VH I was their greatest record, but that's changed. That Album is probably Van Halen at their peak.
    Last edited by Unchainme; 04-20-2011 at 12:27 PM.

The Frosty One...
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Rolling Stone puts out this same lame-ass list every year to fill pages when they've got nothing to write about.

And in what fucking universe is Women And Children First not worthy of being on that list?

Once again, Rolling Stone proves they know fuck-all about anything.

Fear the Elf
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by hambon4lif View Post
    Rolling Stone puts out this same lame-ass list every year to fill pages when they've got nothing to write about.

And in what fucking universe is Women And Children First not worthy of being on that list?

They've kind of reduced themselves to the lowest common denominator.

They used to be kinda snobby about things, now they'll let any 15 minute pop group on the cover of the magazine to sell copies.

being honest, they're dying. If I'm debating on whether to download a song or a new record, or get a second opinion on a new song, and why it's shit or whether it's actually listenable, I could go to any number of places on the internet to search that out. I'm not going to go read it in a place where they kind of trashed the mighty VAN HALEN when they first came out in the 70's.

For example, Mark Mues and Todd in the Shadows are two kids my age, doing amazing work, and can be quite hillarious in their reviews of various things out their in pop culture. Pitchfork.com (hipster site that it is), is also kind of good for that. Or hell, just right here at the Army. FORD, Binnie and others post a ton of shit that I may have not even heard of, and has expanded my horizons in that regard.

Internetmaimment*TM
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Unchainme View Post
    Fair Warning has really grown on me throughout the years. I used to think that VH I was their greatest record, but that's changed. That Album is probably Van Halen at their peak.
    The album was listed by Esquire as one of the 75 Albums Every Man Should Own.

The front cover art features a detail from "The Maze," a painting by the Canadian artist William Kurelek which depicts his tortured youth.
    Last edited by SunisinuS; 04-20-2011 at 01:39 PM. Reason: Somebody Said "Fair Warning"!
    Can't Control your Future. Can't Control your Friends. The women start to hike their skirts up. I didn't have a clue. That is when I kinda learned how to smile a lot. One Two Three Fouir fun ter thehr fuur.

The Menace Is Loose Again
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by SunisinuS View Post
    The album was listed by Esquire as one of the 75 Albums Every Man Should Own.

Was also listed by the RothArmy as one of the 6 albums every man should own.
    “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I find it hilarious that the #1 album on their list was actually released in 1979.

London Calling was a damn good record, but let's face it, if you're gonna have a "Best Albums of the 80's" list, then they should actually be albums released in the 80's.

And I don't see how any objective person could NOT rank 1984 in the same vicinity as Born In The USA, The Joshua Tree, or (God help me for saying this) Thriller. Yeah, they all deserved to be in the Top 10 on such a list. But 1984 fits that list far more than the Talking Heads' "Remain in Light". Or anything Tracy fucking Chapman ever recorded.
    Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

The Frosty One...
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I noticed Rebel Yell is conspicuously absent from this list. Makes me wonder if they're still holding a grudge against Billy for telling them they can all go fuck themselves.

Fear the Elf
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Hasn't Rolling Stone always had a hard-on for the following people:
    Bruce Springsteen
    The Clash
    Tracy Chapman
    Patti Smith
    John Lennon
    Pearl Jam
    Bob Dylan
    U2

Don't get me wrong, I'm a fan of a good number of those groups, but they seem to have a narrow approach when it comes to whom they favor music-wise.

BTW, where's number of the beast on this? out of the cellar? texas flood? I notice they put "Kill 'em all", which doesn't do anything for me versus "Ride the lightning" "...And Justice for all" were much better. That's kind of one thing that pisses me off is that a lot of these lists, be it on VH1 or in a rolling stone list, is their insistance of having Metallica be the faces of the Heavy Metal genre, while ignoring groups that were either more influential or just better musically. (Maiden, Priest, Dio, etc_
    Last edited by Unchainme; 04-20-2011 at 02:52 PM.

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Billy's first two solo albums should definitely be in there. Maybe even his third, "Whiplash Smile". And for that matter, the last Generation X album was released in 1980, so it would be eligible. And it had one of the biggest hits of the 80's on it, for fucks sake.....

Perpetually Befuddled
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Fuck Rolling Stone. Any "magazine" that publishes (and therefore, endorses) a list of greatest eighties albums yet manages to include merely one album each from the Replacements and Husker Du (while notably choosing the wrong ones) is simply clue-free. Worse yet, by only including one album each, they are also guilty of pandering.
    Last edited by chefcraig; 04-20-2011 at 03:13 PM.

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
    ― Stephen Hawking

The Frosty One...
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Hasn't Rolling Stone always had a hard-on for the following people:
    Bruce Springsteen
    The Clash
    Tracy Chapman
    Patti Smith
    John Lennon
    Pearl Jam
    Bob Dylan
    U2

Don't get me wrong, I'm a fan of a good number of those groups, but they seem to have a narrow approach when it comes to whom they favor music-wise.

BTW, where's number of the beast on this? out of the cellar? texas flood? I notice they put "Kill 'em all", which doesn't do anything for me versus "Ride the lightning" "...And Justice for all" were much better. That's kind of one thing that pisses me off is that a lot of these lists, be it on VH1 or in a rolling stone list, is their insistance of having Metallica be the faces of the Heavy Metal genre, while ignoring groups that were either more influential or just better musically. (Maiden, Priest, Dio, etc_
    Lists are lame to begin with, but RS is just downright lazy. They didn't choose albums that they particulalrly liked, they chose the albums they think YOU would like.
    Take 100 popular 80's albums, throw 'em in a pile, and hit the random shuffle button. 'Cept of course for London Calling, which has to be #1 so they can appear to be cool and hip. It's a total joke!

Their last few issues have convinced me that they're just circling the drain. If Matt Taibbi has an article in there, that's the only reason I'll bother thumbing through an issue. Otherwise, I have no use at all for these inept, outdated asswipes.

TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Concur with the Billy Idol sentiments. Dude was just awesome. And even better if you ever saw him LIVE. Guy has pure attitude. Not faking any of it. And his music was the kind that metal heads & new wavers could enjoy without their friends giving them shit for it.

Perpetually Befuddled
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Lists are lame to begin with, but RS is just downright lazy. They didn't choose albums that they particulalrly liked, they chose the albums they think YOU would like.
    Take 100 popular 80's albums, throw 'em in a pile, and hit the random shuffle button. 'Cept of course for London Calling, which has to be #1 so they can appear to be cool and hip. It's a total joke!
    It's hard to imagine whom the magazine is even attempting to address, let alone if they have ever listened to the albums chosen. Lou Reed's New York? Abso-fucking-tively. The Blue Mask by the same artist? You have to be joking. Even Reed himself has forgotten about it. Steve Earl deservedly makes the list, but his foil Dwight Yoakam does not? Seriously, has anyone ever played The Specials debut album more than once? Why include any album Aretha Franklin recorded for Arista Records during the eighties, when it's all schlock and beneath her dignity? And really...Tom Waits' Rain Dogs over Swordfishtrombones ? Really?

The Frosty One...
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by chefcraig View Post
    It's hard to imagine whom the magazine is even attempting to address, let alone if they have ever listened to the albums chosen. Lou Reed's New York? Abso-fucking-tively. The Blue Mask by the same artist? You have to be joking. Even Reed himself has forgotten about it. Steve Earl deservedly makes the list, but his foil Dwight Yoakam does not? Seriously, has anyone ever played The Specials debut album more than once? Why include any album Aretha Franklin recorded for Arista Records during the eighties, when it's all schlock and beneath her dignity? And really...Tom Waits' Rain Dogs over Swordfishtrombones ? Really?
    I highly doubt that most of their current staff are even familiar with over half of these albums. In fact, when most of these albums were released, it was Rolling Stone that gave these very same albums the most horrific reviews, they just took a giant shit on them. Now, somehow, they show up on a 100 greatest list. It's all condescending bullshit.
    Rolling Stone is a hollow shell of what they used to be, and they've spent the last two decades doing nothing but coasting on their rep.

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by chefcraig View Post
    Why include any album Aretha Franklin recorded for Arista Records during the eighties, when it's all schlock and beneath her dignity?
    Well, maybe not ALL of it. This one turned out pretty good.....

"EVERYBODY UP!!!"™
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

Rolling Stone = SHIT !
    Trolls take heed...LOG OUT & FUCK OFF!!!

Beer-It does a body good.
    Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Why's everyone gettin their panties all bunched up? This is the magazine that puts Snooki and Justin Bieber on the cover and lists Jerry Garcia and Kurt Cobain ahead of EVH. Having said that, it does come in handy if you run out of TP.
    When the shit hits the fan, close your mouth and duck.

"EVERYBODY UP!!!"™
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Antman View Post
    Having said that, it does come in handy if you run out of TP.
    Or bird cage liner....

Open 8am-5pm M-F
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I don't subscribe to it anymore. I mean why pay for a rag when you can usually only find one maybe two articles in an issue worth reading? It's a fucking train wreck! Plus it's obviously an extreme left wing publication. And I mean extreme bullshit left wing.

Perpetually Befuddled
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Jagermeister View Post
    I don't subscribe to it anymore. I mean why pay for a rag when you can usually only find one maybe two articles in an issue worth reading? It's a fucking train wreck! Plus it's obviously an extreme left wing publication. And I mean extreme bullshit left wing.
    Exactly. We get it delivered at work, and even getting it for free is an insult. You can pretty much read what little there is to offer during the course of one early morning or late afternoon bathroom break. And as mentioned earlier, it comes in handy when the overnight crew fails to stock the stall with toilet paper.

TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I have only bought a few issues in the last 15 years. The most recent with the weird waxy preserved dead Vladimir Lenin looking EVH on the cover. The others were OLD issues I got on ebay that had VH on the cover. Um, I got the one with Van Hagar - Monsters On Tour where they all have the weird contact lenses in. Thought that was a kinda cool pic.

* whoops...that EVH cover was Guitar mag or something. See how much attention I pay to RS? LOL
    Last edited by sadaist; 04-20-2011 at 05:56 PM. Reason: wrong mag listed

Open 8am-5pm M-F
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    It mainly reads well for people who like mainstream music i.e. anything recorded by a black person, a chick named GaGa, or some obscure band no one gives a fuck about but thinks it's cool to listen to them cause no one know who the fuck they are.

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Jagermeister View Post
    It mainly reads well for people who like mainstream music i.e. anything recorded by a black person, a chick named GaGa, or some obscure band no one gives a fuck about but thinks it's cool to listen to them cause no one know who the fuck they are.
    Well, let's see here......
    7. Thriller - Michael Jackson

10. Tracy Chapman - Tracy Chapman

12. It Takes A Nation Of Millions To Hold Us - Public Enemy

23. Red - Black Uhuru

28. Control - Janet Jackson

36. Rapture - Anita Baker

37. Midnight Love - Marvin Gaye

42. Strong Persuader - The Robert Cray Band

47. Private Dancer - Tina Turner

51. Run Dmc - Run Dmc

58. The Indestructible Beat Of Soweto - Various Artists

59. Computer Games - George Clinton

64. Vivid - Living Colour

66. Fiyo On The Bayou - The Neville Brothers

69. Radio - Ll Cool J

89. Who's Zooming Who - Aretha Franklin

93. The Night I Feel In Love - Luther Vandross
    That's 17 "black" artists on a list out of 100. I could be generous and throw in Graceland and Sun City, since Paul Simon recorded with mostly African musicians on that album, and Little Steven had a number of African Americans on the Sun City record, along with white guys like Bono and The Boss. I haven't even heard " The Indestructible Beat Of Soweto", but since it's African musicians, I'd guess most of them were likely "black".

And while I can't endorse every album listed above, there's no denying that Run DMC, Public Enemy, and Living Colour belong on ANY "best of the 80's" list. Marvin Gaye's best material was in the early 70's, but the man's a fucking legend. As is George Clinton, and Tina Turner.
    Last edited by FORD; 04-20-2011 at 07:22 PM.

26-21
    ROTH ARMY ELITE

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Greatest 80's albums? Rolling Stone's list?

lmao!

I'd be proud if Rolling Stink left my albums off of that list. It didn't say anything about greatest "ROCK" album of the 80's.

Fuck 'em.

Sheep Pen Kiwi
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    What is A rolling stone?
    First Roth Army Kiwi To See Van Halen Live 6/16/2012 Phoenix Arizona.

shit faced
    Head Fluffer

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    its stoned and rolls. Whats up ?

Rock God
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    A Small Dive in a trashy neighborhood somewhere on Fornax 9
    Status
    A rolling stone is one which gathers no moss.

Metaphor for a touring musician. Always on the move.

Sheep Pen Kiwi
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by mug View Post
    its stoned and rolls. Whats up ?
    What Up Mr Mug?

Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    What is this Rolling Stone you speak of? Surely this publication has no connections to the musical group of similar name, no?
    "Nothing gets a yak over a suspension bridge faster than 'Back in the Saddle Again' by Aerosmith" ~ DLR

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    As soon as I read "Rolling Stone", I ignored everything else....
    Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Open 8am-5pm M-F
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by FORD View Post
    Well, let's see here......

That's 17 "black" artists on a list out of 100. I could be generous and throw in Graceland and Sun City, since Paul Simon recorded with mostly African musicians on that album, and Little Steven had a number of African Americans on the Sun City record, along with white guys like Bono and The Boss. I haven't even heard " The Indestructible Beat Of Soweto", but since it's African musicians, I'd guess most of them were likely "black".

And while I can't endorse every album listed above, there's no denying that Run DMC, Public Enemy, and Living Colour belong on ANY "best of the 80's" list. Marvin Gaye's best material was in the early 70's, but the man's a fucking legend. As is George Clinton, and Tina Turner.

I was refering to the magazine not that stupid list.
    Last edited by Jagermeister; 04-21-2011 at 10:27 AM. Reason: Fuck Off!

Fear the Elf
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    http://classic-web.archive.org/web/2...2308/van_halen

BTW, here's what RS had to say when VH1 first came out.

Fear the Elf
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Fuck, just realized they left off "Moving Pictures", from Canada's greatest gift to the world (outside of awesome beer).

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    http://classic-web.archive.org/web/2...2308/van_halen

BTW, here's what RS had to say when VH1 first came out.
    He was almost right... It was after six years they went down the toilet, not three....

Groupie
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Wow. The irrelevant RS comes out with another irrelevant list to show they are the ultimate authority in music and good taste. They're creeps. Just listen to some of Jann Wenner's interview with John Lennon in 1970. He's a mealy mouthed faggot wannabe.

Foot Soldier
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Paraphrased by DLR, "You know why critics like Elvis Costello? Because all the critics LOOK like Elvis Costello."
    I brought my pencil!!!

Thread Information