Perpetually Befuddled
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

New Documentary God Bless Ozzy Osbourne To Premiere This Weekend

Ozzy Osbourne Opens Up About the Bad Old Days in New Film

'I sometimes wonder, 'Is that really me? What the f--k was I smoking at the time?'' he tells Rolling Stone

ROLLING STONE

By Jennifer Vineyard

It's been five years since Ozzy Osbourne put an end to the bad old days. Back then, Osbourne used to scare even fellow musicians who would otherwise revel in drunken rock & roll debauchery. As drummer Tommy Lee reveals in the new documentary God Bless Ozzy Osbourne, screening tomorrow and Saturday at the Tribeca Film Festival, the metal icon once invited him to his hotel room while Osbourne was on tour with Mφtley Crόe – where he promptly undid his pants and defecated on the floor.

"He starts smearing shit all over the walls," Lee recalls in the film. "He's painting with it! And I thought, 'This is some next level shit. I'm not ready for this!' I'm cool with just taking a shit in the toilet."

Osbourne's old antics might be funny if they hadn't often rendered him unconscious afterwards and unable to recall what he had done. He couldn't remember making music videos, and he couldn't remember his own children's birthdays (watch a clip from the movie below). Asked in the documentary what year his eldest daughter Jessica (from his first marriage) was born, he has to guess. "I think it was 1971? '72? I really don't know. I'll find out for you." Even more disturbing, he couldn't remember trying to strangle his wife Sharon in 1989 after drinking four bottles of vodka.

"When you're on the bottle, you don't realize you're as bad as you are," Osbourne told Rolling Stone. "We've all done something that makes us say, 'Did I do that?' I have all these old photographs of me in the Eighties, Nineties, and I can't remember taking them. I sometimes wonder, 'Is that really me? What the fuck was I smoking at the time?'"

In some of these photographs and video footage, Osbourne's face is so flaccid and expressionless that his Black Sabbath mates used to hold his smile in place for photo shoots. Eventually, they got tired of their wasted singer, and fired him.

For Osbourne, every personal loss – from Black Sabbath to the breakup of his first marriage and the 1982 death of guitarist Randy Rhoads – would be another excuse to seek oblivion. Over the years, he said, he went into rehab more than 10 times, and he estimates that there were 40 to 50 other attempts to sober up that only lasted a few days, months at most. Nothing stuck – not even when he was on the MTV reality show The Osbournes, much of which was shot when he was either drunk or stoned.

"I'm not proud of all that," he said. "But it's been part of my journey."

"The Osbournes was done at a strange time in our family," his son Jack, who produced the documentary, told Rolling Stone. "My dad isn't the same person he is today as he was back then."

Osbourne was eventually able to clean up – possibly for good – once his son got sober, too. "I don't drink. I don't do drugs. I don't smoke," he said of his current state. At long last, he's even been able to get his driver's license. "It's a kind of freedom," he said. "I couldn't drive before because I was fucked up. And I'm tired of being that crazy fucked-up person. It wasn't fun being fucked up all the time."

The original members of Black Sabbath – guitarist Tommy Iommi, bassist Geezer Butler, and drummer Bill Ward – all appear in the doc, and they seem to be on good terms with their old leader. Could that mean that a long-rumored reunion is now a real possibility?

"I'm willing," Osbourne said. "But there are three other guys as well." And one of them – Butler – publicly ruled out a reunion in February. "It goes backwards and forwards. One day this, one day that. I'm up for it. But we'll see. If it's meant to happen, it'll happen."

Osbourne did admit that the prospect of the reunion is a little daunting. "The pressure of doing a new Black Sabbath album is enormous, and for it to be as good as what we did back then," he said. "It's been 30 years since we actually sat down and tried to write together, and we've all changed so much. I know I have."

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
    ― Stephen Hawking

Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    The original members of Black Sabbath – guitarist Tommy Iommi, bassist Geezer Butler, and drummer Bill Ward – all appear in the doc, and they seem to be on good terms with their old leader.
    Their leader? WTF is that about? more sharon rewriting history.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    The only thing I regret that Ozzy ever did is he didn't finish the job of strangling Sharon.

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitro Express View Post
    The only thing I regret that Ozzy ever did is he didn't finish the job of strangling Sharon.
    Supposedly that's why Jake E. Lee got the axe...was living with them at the time, heard what was going on, ran to Sharon's defense and busted up the altercation by knocking Ozzy the F out (which in my experience is kinda what you HAVE TO DO to a violent belligerent drunk)... but sounds on par for the Mrs. ...."Thanks for saving my life, now GTFO we're replacing you with a 22-year old from New Jersey..."

The Frosty One...
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    It doesn't matter whether Ozzy remembers strangling her or not, as long as I remember it, that's good enough for me.

"We've decided......that you.....have to go!"

Fuckin' classic!

Puts the ass in Class
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Where the wind comes sweeping down the plains
    Status
    This thing looks like a train wreck. Why would Sharon or Jack think this is a good thing to put out? "Hey let's make another buck off of Ozzy and how fucked up his life is/was. Jackie, you can make a name for yourself. " I'll pass.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by hambon4lif View Post
    It doesn't matter whether Ozzy remembers strangling her or not, as long as I remember it, that's good enough for me.

"We've decided......that you.....have to go!"

Fuckin' classic!
    That WAS pretty classic...I guess "we" being the voices in Ozzy's head...they were probably onto something there...
    Scramby eggs and bacon.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by lesfunk View Post
    Their leader? WTF is that about? more sharon rewriting history.
    Osbourne was in no way ever close to being "the leader" in Black Sabbath back when it mattered.

When they reunited in the 90s? Quite possible Ward, Butler and Tony may have found it necessary to defer to the Osbournes at THAT point on a business level...I'd never downplay what Osbourne brought to the group as a frontman and vocal stylist, but the dude didn't write any of the music (nor much of the lyrics) and he wasn't calling the shots in terms of the musical directions Sabbath took or the business choices Sabbath made.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by jhale667 View Post
    Supposedly that's why Jake E. Lee got the axe...was living with them at the time, heard what was going on, ran to Sharon's defense and busted up the altercation by knocking Ozzy the F out (which in my experience is kinda what you HAVE TO DO to a violent belligerent drunk)... but sounds on par for the Mrs. ...."Thanks for saving my life, now GTFO we're replacing you with a 22-year old from New Jersey..."
    Never heard that one before, sounds unlikely...

Oakland '81...WTF?
    Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Zakk was already in the band and NRFTW was out almost a year when the failed strangling occured.
    Ozzy was given the vodka as a gift when they went to Russia to play the Moscow Music Peace Festival in '89.
    I guess Jack felt badly about how his dad was portrayed and how the majority of the world perceived him to be from the MTV show, which is why he set out to make this doc: to show those who were unaware that he actually was/is a superstar and there was a time when his name struck fear instead of being a punchline. That's some harsh reality from Louis and Jessica. Talk about living with shame and regret. No one but one of his own family would be able to hit him with these questions. It certainly doesn't look like a fluff piece, though.
    How is one considered a frontman or a leader when they wind up standing stage left?
    Jake was canned sometime in the Spring of '87, after the close of the US tour in Japan. Ozzy and Sharon were off promoting the Tribute album and allegedly Jake was either at home with his lady, or working on his cars, or showing up hours late for writing and rehersal sessions. Eventually, word got back to Sharon and Jake was out.
    Last edited by tojoro; 04-28-2011 at 07:22 AM.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    To be fair I think most of us would want to strangle her after 1 bottle of vodka never mind 4.

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I hope this is a good documentary.

The revelations that Ozzy was a crap father are hardly surprising though are they?
    The Power Of The Riff Compels Me

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Not many of those guys are. Usually they have a first family that suffers even more than the second as in Ozzy's case.

In fact I think everyone that is a high achiever has to sacrifice their family to some degree.

My current hero the Nobel scientist Richard Feynman said if he ran into one of his kids in the street he was pretty confident he would recognise them...

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Seshmeister View Post
    Not many of those guys are. Usually they have a first family that suffers even more than the second as in Ozzy's case.

In fact I think everyone that is a high achiever has to sacrifice their family to some degree.

My current hero the Nobel scientist Richard Feynman said if he ran into one of his kids in the street he was pretty confident he would recognise them...
    I know exactly what you mean - so many of the leaders in my line of work either never married or left a trail of devastation behind them.

Part of me admires their dedication; part of me thinks its cowardice on their part. It is very easy to be excellent at one thing, but difficult to be very good at many.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Yeah top academics are worse than musicians, shocking.

Fuck even Stephen Hawking managed to have an affair FFS...

C.U.N.T. Ambassador
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    There are many people that are high achievers, which excel in exemplary lives. However, part of being exemplary is being modest and not calling attention to one's greatness.
    "I have heard there are troubles of more than one kind. - Some come from ahead and some come from behind. - But I've bought a big bat. I'm all ready you see. - Now my troubles are going to have troubles with me!" ~ Dr. Seuss
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Internetmaimment*TM
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

Good for him.
    Last edited by SunisinuS; 04-28-2011 at 11:05 PM. Reason: Hope he lights up another one before he is gone.
    Can't Control your Future. Can't Control your Friends. The women start to hike their skirts up. I didn't have a clue. That is when I kinda learned how to smile a lot. One Two Three Fouir fun ter thehr fuur.

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

In revenge his wife took the plug off his wheelchair charger

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Does anyone think that this documentary can restore Ozzy's place as a MUSICAL icon?

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Was he ever?

The Osbournes TV show really shows the power of the medium.

It increased his fame at least 10 fold maybe more like 100.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by binnie View Post
    Does anyone think that this documentary can restore Ozzy's place as a MUSICAL icon?
    Doubtful.

I'd say right around The Ultimate Sin, Ozzy started turning out stuff more from the angle of "product" rather than "music".

I liked parts of No Rest For The Wicked and No More Tears, but even so the albums post-Bark overall come across as things released just to have an excuse to go on the road. Back then most bands NEEDED a new album as a precursor to hitting the concert circuit. Once that whole classic rock model began to be dismantled in the mid 1990s, these aging rock stars gradually started not even bothering to put out new stuff before touring.

Just as well, really. Every Ozzy release post-Tears, to my ears, screams of "contractual obligations" rather than inspiration. And Osbourne is hardly alone in this newer cycle of againg rock acts issuing flat, listless contemporary releases that don't measure up to the salad days.

Kind of makes me glad Plant DIDN'T bow to pressure to reunite Zeppelin a few years back.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    You could be right but the alternative theory is that he went to mediocrity once he lost Bob Daisley.

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    Doubtful.

I'd say right around The Ultimate Sin, Ozzy started turning out stuff more from the angle of "product" rather than "music".

I liked parts of No Rest For The Wicked and No More Tears, but even so the albums post-Bark overall come across as things released just to have an excuse to go on the road. Back then most bands NEEDED a new album as a precursor to hitting the concert circuit. Once that whole classic rock model began to be dismantled in the mid 1990s, these aging rock stars gradually started not even bothering to put out new stuff before touring.

Just as well, really. Every Ozzy release post-Tears, to my ears, screams of "contractual obligations" rather than inspiration. And Osbourne is hardly alone in this newer cycle of againg rock acts issuing flat, listless contemporary releases that don't measure up to the salad days.

Kind of makes me glad Plant DIDN'T bow to pressure to reunite Zeppelin a few years back.
    I agree with most of this, although i think that 'Scream' showed some real fire and ambition. With all the 'celebrity' around Ozzy these days though, I think we're in danger of forgetting that he made some classic albums and is - without question - one of rock's greatest frontman.

Interesting you mention Plant - I saw a documentary with him recently and his philosophy on Zep is very interesting. I love the fact that he doesn't want to be constrained by his 25 year old self (much as I'd love to see Led Zepp.)

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    You could be right but the alternative theory is that he went to mediocrity once he lost Bob Daisley.
    I'd be inclined to agree with that.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I agree with most of this, although i think that 'Scream' showed some real fire and ambition. With all the 'celebrity' around Ozzy these days though, I think we're in danger of forgetting that he made some classic albums and is - without question - one of rock's greatest frontman.

Interesting you mention Plant - I saw a documentary with him recently and his philosophy on Zep is very interesting. I love the fact that he doesn't want to be constrained by his 25 year old self (much as I'd love to see Led Zepp.)
    Plant has the luxury of being able post-Zep to play widely different styles of music and still find a degree of acceptance.
    Ozzy is stuck in a genre that is very limited in terms of what his fans will accept musically. Within that genre, it's damn near impossible to get much better than early Sabbath and early Ozzy solo...damn hard to even equal that stuff as Ozzy found out in the mid 80s onward.

I think it's the IDEA of Led Zeppelin performing mostly because Plant won't that makes it so appealing...unlike The Who or the Rolling Stones, Zeppelin hasn't been trading in on their legend for the last thirty years, thus they never got a chance to wear out their welcome.

The 2008 one-off was undoubtedly the best rehearsed performance Page, Plant and Jones have turned in together since Bonham died. It was cool, possibly BECAUSE it was a one-off. If Zep reformed and started beating the dead carcass into the ground year after year in arenas across the world, that enthusiasm for seeing them reform would wane quickly.

There's perhaps more value in the Zeppelin myth than in any contemporary incarnation the band could undertake.

Oakland '81...WTF?
    Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I'd be curious to see if Jack put the screws to Ozzy concerning Bob Daisley, or if Sharon instructed her son to leave that particular subject be. NMT was a decent album, but that is also where the revolving door of outside writers began. The making of that album was a very long and tense process, as lots of ideas, lyrics and music were written, presented and rejected for one reason or another.
    It is interesting to note that at least a quarter of the setlist from each tour of his 30 year solo career is from the debut. Here is an example from the Phoenix show of the Scream tour in January that a member from the Sabbath boards had posted:

Bark At The Moon
    Let Me Hear You Scream
    Mr. Crowley
    I Don't Know
    War Pigs
    Suicide Solution
    Road To Nowhere
    Fairies Wear Boots
    Shot In The Dark
    Instrumental Breaks w/ Rat Salad
    Iron Man
    I Don't Want To Change The World
    Crazy Train
    Mama I'm Coming Home
    Paranoid

As much as folks like Scream, he's only performing one track from the album he's touring in support of?
    The next most represented album here is twenty years old, which sort of compounds the idea that the first ten years of his discography is what matters most. Everything since has been a product to tour behind, play the one or two new "hits", but otherwise, crank up the jukebox of tunes that are three or four decades old.
    From what I understand, Fairies Wear Boots, Into The Void, Killer of Giants, and Fire In The Sky have been part of this tour too, on a rotating basis.
    Whether the fans or bands want to admit it, all of these groups have become nostalgia acts. Something 25 years of age is considered antique. Folks go to these shows to hear Crazy Train, or Run To The Hills, or Tom Sawyer, or Sweet Emotion. Fans tend to hit the restroom or the beer stand when new material is played.
    It's nice these bands are being prolific by recording new material, but it must be sobering knowing that your latest effort pales in comparison to the juggernaut that is your past.
    I believe Ozzy will always be considered a great frontman, but so many people now have the knowledge that the man cannot play an instrument, nor can he write lyrics or music. He has a unique voice and does have a knack for some truly catchy melodies, but he's also known for screwing over those who played a large part in the success he enjoyed today.
    His wife is largely responsible of course, but it is his name up there in lights.

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    Plant has the luxury of being able post-Zep to play widely different styles of music and still find a degree of acceptance.
    Ozzy is stuck in a genre that is very limited in terms of what his fans will accept musically. Within that genre, it's damn near impossible to get much better than early Sabbath and early Ozzy solo...damn hard to even equal that stuff as Ozzy found out in the mid 80s onward.

I think it's the IDEA of Led Zeppelin performing mostly because Plant won't that makes it so appealing...unlike The Who or the Rolling Stones, Zeppelin hasn't been trading in on their legend for the last thirty years, thus they never got a chance to wear out their welcome.

The 2008 one-off was undoubtedly the best rehearsed performance Page, Plant and Jones have turned in together since Bonham died. It was cool, possibly BECAUSE it was a one-off. If Zep reformed and started beating the dead carcass into the ground year after year in arenas across the world, that enthusiasm for seeing them reform would wane quickly.

There's perhaps more value in the Zeppelin myth than in any contemporary incarnation the band could undertake.
    The other way of saying it that Plant is a lot more talented - Ozzy is a hell of a frontman and a great melody writer, but he's no singer or lyricist. I also think he's not all that curious about music anymore. Plant - unlike so many rock stars - is not afraid to grow old and evolve. That's why he's interesting.

Completely agree about Led Zepp and mystique. 'In Through The Out Door' aside, we never really got to see them decline and consequently they're fixed in our memories as God's. The contrast is Deep Purple: an absolute powerhouse in the '70s has become an 'old man's band' by going on too long and declining. Purple were crucial to rock/metal, but how many young bands do you here cite them as an influence? I think that's because we see them as old, old men.

Underwhelmist
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by indeedido View Post
    Why would Sharon or Jack think this is a good thing to put out? "Hey let's make another buck off of Ozzy and how fucked up his life is/was. Jackie, you can make a name for yourself. "
    I think you answered your own question there.
    Fast & Bulbous, Got Me?

"EVERYBODY UP!!!"™
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Sup Katie?
    Trolls take heed...LOG OUT & FUCK OFF!!!

"EVERYBODY UP!!!"™
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    The contrast is Deep Purple: an absolute powerhouse in the '70s has become an 'old man's band' by going on too long and declining. Purple were crucial to rock/metal, but how many young bands do you here cite them as an influence? I think that's because we see them as old, old men.
    Still a fan of the Purple of today. Unlike other aging acts, they don't add backup singers or slow tempos to suit their ageing. They still play with astonishing musicianship and power. They're not afraid to take chances live. Purple still have amazing impromptu jams live.
    Sure they play the "hits" the fans expect, but they also catered to us diehards who enjoy the less popular or mostly unknown tracks.

Perpetually Befuddled
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Diamondjimi View Post
    Still a fan of the Purple of today. Unlike other aging acts, they don't add backup singers or slow tempos to suit their ageing. They still play with astonishing musicianship and power. They're not afraid to take chances live. Purple still have amazing impromptu jams live.
    Sure they play the "hits" the fans expect, but they also catered to us diehards who enjoy the less popular or mostly unknown tracks.
    Most importantly, they deliver the goods. Yeah, they are no longer 21 year olds, but ya know what? Who cares? Just like anybody else (and that includes everyone from the guy handing you your change from a ten dollar bill when you buy a can of beer, smokes or Hustler magazine at the convenience store on the ride home to a beyond middle age rock musician), they have a right to plying their trade. Sadly, not everyone does so with dedication. The fact that Purple (and only a handful of other bands in roughly the same position) do take the effort to do their job in a serious fashion should not only be noted, but commended and celebrated. And isn't it a sad commentary in general when simply doing what is expected and doing the right thing is the exception, rather than the rule?

"EVERYBODY UP!!!"™
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Deep Purple is def. the exception to the rule with "aging" bands. These guys are true musicians who challenge an explore the (musical) unknown at each show, not a band that plays a cookie cutter st list each night. Blackmore's been gone 17 years people.
    The spirit and soul of DP didn't rest solely with him. If you ask me, the soul of DP lies in Ian Paice and John Lord, respectively.....

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    my point is not that Purple don't rock any more but rather that interest in them has dwindled by virtue of the fact that they're still here.

They don't have the giant legacy in rock'n' rolll they should have - find me a 14 year old in a Deep Purple T Shirt, y'know....

Underwhelmist
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Diamondjimi View Post
    Sup Katie?
    If you're referring to ye olde rumour that Katie and I were/are one and the same there, I'd like to point out that the very idea defies all logic. If we were, it would be a pretty elaborate joke. One where I would go as far as to create a website of bootlegs I don't actually own but are inexplicably available to trade...and seeing as it was Katie who sent me "No Holds BBQ" means I somehow managed to trade with myself (this was before she went mental, obviously), which is just weird...found somebody to pose for several pictures that I could upload and a whole host of other discrepancies...discrepancies which, had I the time and put in the effort, I might have well just killed myself then and there due to the very fact that my life was stuck in a worthless vortex in which the only thing that mattered to me was tricking people I don't really know (and in some cases, even like) and I'll never meet into thinking I'm someone I'm not.

If you think I am the alias and Katie is the real one in this equation, then I can assure you I am sitting drinking tea from a Who mug in Liverpool, synching the new Urban Voodoo Machine album to a 160GB iPod Classic and weighing up whether or not to crack open the Complete Frasier box set I bought at the HMV in Liverpool One for £39.

On the other hand, if I've completely misread the situation, I just look paranoid and probably just confirm the beliefs of anyone who still believes it.

Thread Information