Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chefcraig
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Apr 2004

The "Only In Florida" Police Blotter - Living Proof That Hell Is Other People

For one odd reason or another, just about every major national news story has ties to or originated in Florida. Be it embarrassing, horrific, insipid or just fucking strange, more often than not the roots are formed here. A cursory glance at a map reveals the state to be shaped much like a penis. This would suggest that by and large, the local residents are dicks. I would include myself in this category, primarily for being too moronic to have left the area screaming in abject horror by now. Then again, I'm probably immune to it all by at this point.

Or so I thought. Reading the following article in my local paper this morning, it dawned upon me that others should be warned about exactly what goes on around here. So for those that do not live here, thank your lucky stars. And for those that do, I feel your pain. Sartre was correct - "Hell is other people."

Men stabbed when sign language mistaken for gang signs

Hearing-impaired patrons recovering after Hallandale bar stabbing

Local chowderheads Barbara Lee (left) and Marco Ibanez (Photo courtesy of the Broward Sheriff's Office)

Ihosvani Rodriguez Sun Sentinel

MIRAMAR— Two hearing-impaired men are recovering from stab wounds they suffered when a patron of a Hallandale Beach bar apparently mistook their sign language for gang signs.

Neither Alfred Stewart nor the other man, whose name could not be confirmed, could be reached for comment on Tuesday, four days after the attack at Ocean's Eleven Lounge. But Stewart's mother, Brenda Stewart, had a lot to say.

She is still livid over the incident that sent her 31-year-old son to the hospital, where he spent more than two days. A knife wound across the upper left side of his back required about 20 stitches to close.

"If I was there [at the bar], things would've been really ugly," said Stewart, 51, of Miramar. "I don't know if they were drunk or stupid, but how can you confuse sign language as a gang sign?"

According to Stewart, her son met up with several of his friends for a birthday get-together — not his — on Friday night at the bar in the 800 block of Federal Highway.

Most of the friends are graduates of Miami Central High School in Miami-Dade, where they took classes for the hearing impaired.

Alfred Stewart told his mother that a woman approached the group at the bar and yelled at them, but since they could not comprehend what she was saying, they paid little attention to her. The woman left the bar and returned moments later with a man carrying a knife.

"He doesn't remember much [about] what happened," Brenda Stewart said of her son. "He only remembers everyone fighting and then he ran to the bathroom, where he noticed blood all over his shirt."

Stewart's son, who became deaf following an illness when he was 4, was resting at home on Tuesday with a sore back. He works for a Coral Gables restaurant, she said.

A woman who answered the phone at Ocean's Eleven on Tuesday said the bar's bouncer tried to break up the fight but was hit on the head with a beer bottle. The bouncer, who was not seriously hurt, was back at work the next evening, added the woman, who declined to give her name.

She said police arrived quickly and arrested the man and woman who started the fight.

"What happened here was stupid, very stupid," she said before hanging up.

Hallandale Beach police charged Barbara Lee, 45, with aggravated battery causing bodily harm, two counts of aggravated battery with a deadly weapon, and probation violation, according to court records.

They also arrested Marco Ibanez, 19, who is charged with one count of aggravated battery with a deadly weapon.

Both were listed as incarcerated at the Broward County Main Jail on Tuesday afternoon.

Hallandale Beach police could not be reached for comment on Tuesday. They told other news outlets that the suspects believed the victims had been flashing gang signs.

Shana Williams, a psychologist at the Center for Hearing and Communication in Fort Lauderdale, called the incident "bizarre." She said it is not rare, however, for hearing-impaired people to be caught up in angry confrontations.

"Most of the time it's someone thinking they are being made fun of through sign language, or being mimicked," she said. "But I've never heard of something that has led to such violence."
    Last edited by chefcraig; 05-04-2011, 11:57 AM.

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
    ― Stephen Hawking
  • Dan
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Jan 2004

The Dude On The Right-Hand Side Looks Like A Lady.
    First Roth Army Kiwi To See Van Halen Live 6/16/2012 Phoenix Arizona.

Comment

• fifth element
      Commando
      • Nov 2010

just to let you know that you are NOT alone.....
      (and I apologize up front for the lack of pics, etc)...

here in the Mid-West a woman is undergoing a trial this week because, as she got a new boyfriend, she decided that she was afraid to reveal that she had a child with Down's Syndrome....
      told him about her other 2 children,
      and pulled a "Flowers in the Attic" trick, hiding the boy from everyone.

Thank goodness the womans PARENTS had the nerve to step in and call for an investigation.....
      and thanks to a "heads up " officer
      (they are so few and far in between around these parts)

who noted that when questioned, the younger brother kept looking at the ceiling,

the boy with Down's Syndrome was found, nearly dead,
      and the mother is being charged w/ not only the standard charges of abuse,
      neglect and child endangerment, but w/ attempted murder.

Anyway.....Florida does not see to be alone in their......own little version of hell
      it seems to have spread ....
      Last edited by fifth element; 05-04-2011, 07:43 PM.
      “Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending.” ~~Maria Robinson

Comment

• lesfunk
        Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

Damn Obama supporters!
        http://gifsoup.com/imager.php?id=4448212&t=o GIFSoup

Comment

• fifth element
          Commando
          • Nov 2010

excuse me?
          “Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending.” ~~Maria Robinson

Comment

• chefcraig
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • Apr 2004

Bartow teacher charged with drug possession

Submitted by Eric Glasser, WTSP.com

Bartow, Florida --
            A Polk County high school teacher was Tasered by police and arrested for drug possession on Monday.

Bartow police say they pulled over 33-year-old Bradley Gummow for a traffic stop shortly before 11 a.m. at the intersection of Polk Street and Baker Avenue.

While talking with Gummow, cops say they observed a plastic bag in his mouth and called in a K-9 unit.

Police say when they asked Gummow what was in his mouth, the suspect turned and refused to cooperate with officers.

Gummow allegedly began resisting police until he was shot with a Taser stun gun. He then spit out what turned out to be five individual bags containing marijuana, weighing a total of 4.7 grams.

Gummow is an 11th and 12th grade teacher at Bartow High School, assigned to teach International Baccalaureate and Advanced Placement students.

Before Monday's arrest, Gummow was on probation for reckless driving involving alcohol. He is now charged with possession of marijuana, violation of probation, and resisting an officer without force or violence.

Atheist Official Wachs Charged With Simulating Sex Act

By Jason Geary & Matthew Pleasant THE LEDGER

LAKELAND | In her second arrest this year, the Atheists of Florida's legal coordinator was jailed Sunday on a charge of simulating a sex act in the presence of a 10-year-old boy.

Ellenbeth Wachs, 48, of Lakeland, is accused of purposely making noises from inside her home March 13 to pretend as if she were having sex while the boy and his father overheard, according to the Polk County Sheriff's Office.

Wachs made the noise in an effort to make the boy stop playing basketball outside her house on Lake Victoria Drive, a complaint affidavit says. She told him to stop shooting baskets because she was trying to sleep.

A Polk County sheriff's detective began investigating after the boy's father, Otto Lehman, filed for an injunction for protection against Wachs in April.

A complaint affidavit says the boy played basketball near Wachs' home about 8:30 a.m. and she yelled through an open window for him to stop.

Lehman and his son, Forrest, returned later and she started to yell "Oh John," repeating it "over and over again and kept increasing the volume until it was a loud scream," according to the complaint affidavit.

Wachs was also moaning and making other sounds that "sounded like a woman experiencing sexual gratification in an extremely loud fashion," the affidavit says. She continued until the father and son left.

On March 3, Wachs was jailed on a charge that she posed as a licensed lawyer. She remained at the Polk County Jail on Tuesday without bail for being arrested while on bail for the previous charge.

John Liguori, a lawyer representing Wachs, said he would schedule a hearing to argue that his client should be released. Wachs, who has multiple sclerosis, requires several types of medication, and her medical needs cannot be properly met while in jail, Liguori said.

He said the State Attorney's Office is using a dispute between neighbors to further prosecute Wachs.

She was trying to get rest after having chemotherapy when she asked the boy to stop playing basketball, Liguori said. He said Wachs was calling to a friend inside her home for help with taking medication.

"There is no simulation of a sex act here," he said. "The kid didn't see anything. Moaning is not a sex act. There is no evidence that a sex act was occurring."

He accused Assistant State Attorney Brad Copley of targeting Wachs on behalf of those who oppose her personal, religious and political views. "For him to deal with something like this is just an extraordinary waste of resources," Liguori said.

In court Monday, Copley denied that Wachs' beliefs were at issue. "We certainly live in a society where a little boy can go outside and shoot hoops," Copley said.

Attempts to reach the Lehmans were unsuccessful.

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
            ― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• chefcraig
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • Apr 2004

Woman accused of using fradulent cards in spending spree, hiding cards in her private parts

news-press.com

Lee County, FloridaA Pompano Beach woman is in custody at the Lee County Jail for possession of a counterfeit driver's license and a fraudulent credit card, which she allegedly hid inside her vagina.

According to the Lee County Sheriff's Office, Ann Marie Hernandez,46, was arrested during a traffic stop on Interstate 75 on Friday night when deputies discovered thousands of dollars in items bought with a fraudulent credit card aboard her vehicle.

Members of the Highway Interdiction Unit pulled her vehicle over at about 7 p.m.

Upon making contact with the driver, the detective immediately noticed the vehicle was full of high-end power tool equipment, some of which still had security tags attached.

As the investigation unfolded, a detective determined the items were recently purchased at a Cape Coral Home Depot using a fraudulent credit card account.

Home Depot was contacted and Citibank confirmed the fraudulent transactions totaling more than five-thousand dollars. Nearly half of the fraudulent items purchased were recovered during the traffic stop.

After a female deputy was called to the scene, Hernandez admitted to concealing a fraudulent credit card and fraudulent Florida driver’s license inside her vagina.

― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• Dan
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • Jan 2004

Damn,Nasty Place To keep your Cards.
                First Roth Army Kiwi To See Van Halen Live 6/16/2012 Phoenix Arizona.

Comment

• chefcraig
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Apr 2004

Police arrest man accused of urinating on cough drops at Walgreens

By Walter Pacheco, Orlando Sentinel

Police said Larry Donell White Jr. walked up to Aisle 8 of a Sanford Walgreens, unzipped his pants and urinated on an assortment of cough drops.

Sanford officers arrested White at police headquarters Thursday after a tip led them to interview him about the allegations.

Although White admitted to "having frequented several local Walgreens in the past," he did not confess to the crime.

Detectives also presented him with a surveillance recording showing a person resembling White. He became evasive and denied the accusations, the report shows.

A statement from Sgt. David Morgenstern of the Sanford Police Department summed up the case with the following observation: "So the question remains, why did he do it? Guess we'll never know."
                  Video: Behind the scenes of the Bin Laden raid

The arrest report shows White entered the Walgreens in the 200 block of South French Street around 10:23 p.m. April. 21.

The pharmacy's recording system caught him walking through the cough-drop aisle. He was observed unzipping his pants and urinating on the lozenges.

Police said White caused about $301 in damages.

He faces charges of criminal mischief with property damage over $200 and crimes against a person with culpable negligence. He left the Seminole County Jail after paying a $550 bond.

― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• fifth element
                    Commando
                    • Nov 2010

you win! lol

Comment

• VanHalener
                      ROCKSTAR

• Nov 2006

Originally posted by chefcraig
                      a patron of a Hallandale Beach bar apparently mistook their sign language for gang signs...The woman left the bar and returned moments later with a man carrying a knife...[/I]
                      I hate getting my .45 Sig dirty, but she would have most definitely needed a cleaning after that bullshit if I was there.
                      Many people are just rabid animals that need to be put down like Old Yeller. For the gun haters... If your mom and dad were the deaf couple at the table and I defended their lives with my Dirty Harry like open can of whoop ass you fucking KNOW your ass would appreciate a gun being pulled out of nowhere by one of the good guys.

Gang signs?!I got your fucking gang signs you filthy animals...
                      :dafinger:
                      ~Only you can prevent low volume~

Comment

• ashstralia
                        ROTH ARMY ELITE
                        • Feb 2004

mmmmkay.... i've heard of walmart, is walgreens where you buy your smoko over there?

Comment

• fifth element
                          Commando
                          • Nov 2010

Walgreens is a pharmacy / plus type of store, often open 24 hours

Comment

• chefcraig
                            DIAMOND STATUS
                            • Apr 2004

Originally posted by fifth element
                            Walgreens is a pharmacy / plus type of store, often open 24 hours
                            And, strangely enough, many of them have a liquor store. No, I am not joking. Pick up your prescription, along with something to wash it down with in one convenient location.

― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• VAiN
                              Use my hand, I won't look
                              ROCKSTAR

• Nov 2006

It's so true! I've had this conversation with a buddy not long ago. It seems that just about any ridiculous thing that happens happens in Florida. What the fuck?? I've always said 'welcome to Florida, it's not the heat it's the stupidity.'

I read the sign language/gang sign story also and was just shocked and impressed with a new level of stupid.
                              Originally posted by wiseguy
                              That shit will welcome you in the morning and pour the milk in your count chocula for ya.

Comment

Working...