X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nickdfresh
    SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Originally posted by ELVIS
    I guess the mighty nanny government should ban teeth in order to protect us...
    Maybe the nanny gov't can provide you with a brain so you stop making such stupid, gay strawman arguments...

Comment

• Nickdfresh
      SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Originally posted by FORD
      Sounds like Jeb put some bad coke on the streets down there.
      Sounds more like PCP...

Comment

• ELVIS
        Banned
        • Dec 2003

Originally posted by FORD
        Obama's not BCE. He just refuses to get rid of their fucked up policies.
        So, sow does that make him any different ??

Comment

• ELVIS
          Banned
          • Dec 2003

How even...

Comment

• chefcraig
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • Apr 2004

So, sow does that make him any different ??
            It's sorta like you or me getting a job at KFC. Although we did not invent the idea of ghastly chicken nor come up with it's style of preparation, we get the right to endorse it without actually having to be official members of Colonel Harland Sanders' family. It's kind of a "friends with benefits" thing, unfortunately lacking any of the sex but plenty of the remorse.

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
            ― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• ELVIS
              Banned
              • Dec 2003

And even more corruption...

Comment

• sadaist
                TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                • Jul 2004

I guess the mighty nanny government should ban teeth in order to protect us...

Nah. They'll just tax them and regulate them.
                “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Comment

• sadaist
                  TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                  • Jul 2004

Originally posted by Nickdfresh
                  Sounds more like PCP...

News story I watched last night said a strong strain of LSD. Although that seems like something only people who know nothing about drugs would say.

I'm gonna go with the Zombie story.

*I didn't see it here but the story I watched earlier said the victims eyes were gone. GONE!!!!
                  “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Comment

• Little Texan
                    Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

Here's another of those weird, only in Florida type stories...

Link

Florida man dies after winning cockroach-eating contest

Broward County

Eddie Archbold, 32, died Friday night after winning a giant cockroach-eating contest.

By Isolde Raftery, NBC News

Edward Archbold was, according to those who met him on Friday night, the life of the party – a bit of a showoff who was up for anything, even a giant cockroach-eating contest.

He won. And then, tragically, he died.

Now police from Deerfield Beach, Fla., about 40 miles north of Miami, are investigating the death of the 32-year-old, who on Facebook went by Edward William Barry.

According to the Broward Sheriff’s Office, Archbold, of West Palm Beach, and several other contestants signed up to eat a variety of insects at Ben Siegel Reptiles in Deerfield Beach. After eating dozens of giant cockroaches, Archbold was declared the winner of an ivory-ball python. (The prizes, Archbold indicated on his Facebook page that night, were less significant than the glory.)
                    Advertise | AdChoices

He had also entered a superworm-eating contest earlier in the night.

Follow @NBCNewsUS

But after winning, Archbold felt sick and started vomiting. He then collapsed in the store and was later pronounced dead. The medical examiner’s office is conducting tests to determine a cause of death, according to the sheriff’s office statement.

On Facebook, Ben Siegel Reptiles wrote that staff met Archbold the night of the Midnight Madness sale: “We all liked him right away. All of us here at Ben Siegel Reptiles are sad that we will not get to know Eddie better, for in the short time we knew him, he was very well liked by all.”

In the comments beneath the statement, the reptile store wrote that the prize “now belongs to his estate.”

Watch the most-viewed videos on NBCNews.com

In another Facebook comment, an attorney claiming to represent Ben Siegel Reptiles wrote that contest participants had signed waivers accepting their participation in this “unique and unorthodox contest.”

“The consumption of insects is widely accepted throughout the world, and the insects presented as part of the contest were taken from an inventory of insects that are safely and domestically raised in a controlled environment as food for reptiles,” wrote attorney Luke Lirot.

No other contestants felt sick, the Broward Sheriff’s Office said.

And Archbold seemed to be doing all right earlier in the night, according to his own account on Facebook. He took photos of the superworms and wrote: " Also side note im NOW in a super worm eating comp now.......what ever the hell a super worm is?"

Eating the bugs yielded valuable rewards, according to the store's Facebook page: “Eat the most bugs in 4 minutes, win the ball morph. That’s it. Oh yeah, any vomiting is an automatic DQ,” the advertisement stated. “Eat the most crickets, win a male lesser. Eat the most superworms, win a female orange belly. Eat the most discoid roaches, win a female graphite sired ivory!”

Michael Adams, a professor of entomology at the University of California, Riverside, told The Associated Press that he has never heard of someone dying after eating roaches.

"Unless the roaches were contaminated with some bacteria or other pathogens, I don't think that cockroaches would be unsafe to eat," Adams said. "Some people do have allergies to roaches but there are no toxins in roaches or related insects."

Meanwhile, Archbold's friends took to his Facebook page to remember him. Wrote one: "This goes out to one of the most funnest, craziest, and most energetic person I have ever met!!! I will never ever forget u Eddie... I don't think anyone could!!"

Comment

• chefcraig
                      DIAMOND STATUS
                      • Apr 2004

Yep, the cockroach eating story was the main headline in our local paper this morning. It is odd that none of the other "contestants" suffered any ill effects, leading one to suspect the victim had something wrong with him to begin with.

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
                      ― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• VAiN
                        Use my hand, I won't look
                        ROCKSTAR

• Nov 2006

I was at that event when it started. A coworker of mine was going to do it but he missed the registration.. Super gross event - they had qualifying rounds with meal worms, crickets, some blue squirting bug and then finally roaches. Disgusting.
                        I left early, but heard it was killer.

Too soon?
                        Originally posted by wiseguy
                        That shit will welcome you in the morning and pour the milk in your count chocula for ya.

Comment

• ashstralia
                          ROTH ARMY ELITE
                          • Feb 2004

Originally posted by VAiN
                          I was at that event when it started.
                          I left early, but heard it was killer.

Too soon?
                          Nah, I wonder if any roaches marched out of him during the autopsy, flipping the bird?

Comment

• jhale667
                            DIAMOND STATUS
                            • Aug 2004

EVERYONE KNOWS you're not supposed to mix giant roaches and superworms, especially if you're lactose intolerant, or on days ending in 'y' ....
                            Originally posted by conmee
                            If anyone even thinks about deleting the Muff Thread they are banned.... no questions asked.

That is all.

Icon.
                            Originally posted by GO-SPURS-GO
                            I've seen prominent hypocrite liberal on this site Jhale667

Originally posted by Isaac R.
                            Then it's really true??:eek:

The Muff Thread is really just GONE ???

OMFG...who in their right mind...???
                            Originally posted by eddie78
                            I was wrong about you, brother. You're good.

Comment

• chefcraig
                              DIAMOND STATUS
                              • Apr 2004

You just knew this would happen: One bonehead drops dead and ruins it for the rest of us...

Six Flags suspends cockroach-eating contest after Florida death

By Elisabeth Mistretta Daily Herald

Six Flags Great America in Gurnee has suspended its seasonal cockroach-eating contest, in response to reports of a man’s death after a similar competition at a Florida pet store.

The 32-year-old man reportedly collapsed last week after eating dozens of roaches and worms during a contest to win a python at a pet store in Deerfield Beach, according to the Associated Press. Six Flags Great America officials said they’ve suspended their contest, which happens weekly during its Halloween-themed Fright Fest, while the amusement park reviews the competitions nationwide.

Officials said the weekly contest attracts about 10 to 20 participants each week and an audience of roughly 50 people.

Katy Enrique, communications manager for Six Flags Great America, added that the theme park has never received reports of health problems following its contests, which began in fall 2006. “We are confident our eating contests are safe as the insects we use are raised specifically for human consumption,” said a prepared statement from Six Flags Entertainment Corp.. “Insects are considered a delicacy in many cultures; however, even though this appears to be an isolated incident, we are reviewing the eating contests at our parks to ensure we maintain a safe environment for our guests.”

Fright Fest runs this year through Oct. 28 and Enrique said Great America is not creating a replacement for the contest that allowed adults, ages 18 and older, to eat live adult Madagascar hissing cockroaches. The winner would have received a 2013 seasons pass and a one-day Flash Pass, which allows them jump to the front of the line on any ride in the park.

Madagascar hissing cockroaches are among the largest species of cockroach and can reach 2- to 3-inches in maturity. In previous years, the competition has also included contestants eating grasshoppers, snails and silk worms that shipped to the park dead, as well as super worms and night crawlers were alive during consumption.

Patrons at Six Flags Great America were required to sign a waiver before digging in during previous contests.

And when the contest launched in 2006, officials from the Lake County Health Department cautioned would-be eaters to think twice, “due to the risk of gastrointestinal illness and allergies.” Florida police are awaiting cause of death of Edward Archbold, pending an autopsy. The Associated Press reports Archbold collapsed shortly after consuming dozens of roaches and worms and was later pronounced dead at a Florida hospital. No other contestants reported medical problems after the competition, according to the Associated Press.

― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• Little Texan
                                Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

Are people in Florida just into eating cockroaches or what?

Comment

Working...