Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: The Roth Army All Star Band Jams thread..

C.U.N.T. Ambassador
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    In the mean time I got a paypal scam letter asking me for an update. It is soooooo good.
    it was listed as -> e.paypal.com
    It might be ligit, nonetheless, because it asked me to confirm I am sending a copy to paypall security for their review.
    "I have heard there are troubles of more than one kind. - Some come from ahead and some come from behind. - But I've bought a big bat. I'm all ready you see. - Now my troubles are going to have troubles with me!" ~ Dr. Seuss
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

C.U.N.T. Ambassador
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Ummm. I do not see this file getting past whatever it is that blocks me.

Rock God
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    A Small Dive in a trashy neighborhood somewhere on Fornax 9
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Blaze View Post
    In the mean time I got a paypal scam letter asking me for an update. It is soooooo good.
    It might be ligit, nonetheless, because it asked me to confirm I am sending a copy to paypall security for their review.

LOL! I see those all the time. Fucking Nigerians.

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I got a PayPal letter myself the other day, and it looked legit. But I didn't have any reason to change anything in my account there, so I didn't go to their website to investigate. Didn't seem like a phishing scam to me.
    Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Rock God
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Don't bet on it. PayPal does not send emails like that.
    I do work on the side dealing with Nigerian 419 scammers and other online fraudsters, and they can occasionally create websites, email formats, etc. that look absolutely real.

If you want to know if it is a legit email, just log in to your real PayPal account. IF they would have actually sent that email, the message will be in your account in your inbox. What tips me off in most cases is when I get such an email at an email address that is not the one associated with my PayPal account.

Better safe than sorry.

"EVERYBODY UP!!!"™
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    [QUOTE=Blaze;1540354]Yea, yea, yea, This would be throw away for me.

chop it, crop it.. do whatever..

I am chomping to pull some of these tracts and lay down next to them.
    I just authorize you send it.
    It it 5.96MB Geronimo.wma
    sorry about the wma.. better luck next time

What are you using for a DAW, Blaze?
    Last edited by Diamondjimi; 05-08-2011 at 04:47 AM.
    Trolls take heed...LOG OUT & FUCK OFF!!!

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Blaze View Post
    It's almost certainly a scam.

Did it have your actual name in the email? That's the first test.

C.U.N.T. Ambassador
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

Exclamation

This would be a good time to remind everyone of basic security.

As we are downloading from people, we may or may not know. One thing for sure, we are not certain where everyone has stuck, or is sticking their computers along the Internet tubes. Nor their extent of protection used while probing the great vast space of the Internet. Depending on your own internet situation, extra precaution is in order.

This site and others that clearly show who has or has not donated provides information to would be criminals. Whoever has donated, most likely they have a PayPal account.

A simple hack of the site as have occurred in the past, would provide the mailing list for those registered. That list and other data gleaned while the site was in exploit mode is useful to sell to help fund the operations of the criminal. Or used directly not only for theft but also for Business Intelligence. In addition, a criminal applying social engineering can corrupt, mislead, or force person/s into doing things they otherwise might not do.

Keep in mind, not only this site, but other sites you attend, like Sony’s recent breach of Playstation.
    I know some of you are thinking OMG there is no way to be safe and have a life. Security is a commodity. Most of us do not want nor can take the time and money to have an unbreachable system. And quite honestly, no system is unbreachable including the one’s behind locked doors not connect to the internet.

What there are is unknown systems. Moreover, being unknown is relatively free for most people.
    That sounds like you have to be a masked freak all the time and you do not want to do that. You want to be free, you want to make friends, be friends, and have a social life. I feel ya. I want, also!
    Here is the solution that will work for most people.

Never use facts for your security questions. Do not give your mother’s maiden name, your hometown, or anything of that nature. Instead, choose a password. Do not use this password anywhere else on the web. Create three of them. You have high, middle, and low-level security zones. Security is fluid. Do not hesitate to move different parts of your life into different zones. Do not write these down anywhere. However, if you must, write them on paper and place them behind lock and key. Do not write “super secret passwords” on top of the list. A name and random looking addresses will do. You will know what they are. So will your significant other, when they ask what those are while rifling through important papers, but that is another topic…

You now no longer have to worry about talking about your childhood, family, or other such stuff in general conversation. You can tell that story about how your first pet, Fido ate your second pet in a rose bed and that is why that is your favorite flower. Or answer those silly data-mining-who-are-you questionnaires. OMG, you almost feel like a real person again. You cannot wait to start telling the world about just who you are and why. Glad to help

Now that you have removed personal information as your access to your online identity giving you one less known key, let us get the other keys just as unknown.

Remember the best security is the criminal not knowing.

However, how do you throw off an on-the-hunt criminal, or a nosy neighbor?

You want to be social, you want to have places to go, and you want to connect.

Your passwords into the cyber word let you be you. You must have a 100 of them and your comment about how fast grass grows is important! You got to get on!

To create secure passwords use a formula, a recipe so to speak, I will show you an example.

I would again create three levels.

Let us create a password:
    Select a phrase such as:
    Blue dogs named Sam have feet

Smash it, keep the capitols, and sprinkle a few numbers
    Blu3dogsnam3dSamhavef33t
    You can use a shorter one for example Arr3st3d

Choose two letters from the site you are visiting or making home.

We will use Roth Army as an example.
    Choose the first and last letter, the first two letters, or fourth and sixth letters. It does not matter what two or three, just keep it consistent so you know which ones. You will place these letters somewhere in your passphrase.

For example, I will take the ‘my’ from rotharmy.com
    I will take these letters and tack them somewhere in my phrase. I am going to choose for this example to place them after the first 3.
    Blu3mydogsnam3dSamhavef33t
    Arr3myssted

There you go, a unique password for every place

Here is an again in a nutshell
    Auniquephrasewithcapitolsandnumberswithaplacemento fselectlettersofthesiteyouarevisiting
    4uniquePhrasewithcap1tolsandnumberswithaplacemento fselectlettersofthesiteyouarevisiting.
    4uniquePhrasewith(place select letters into the phrase)cap1tolsandnumberswithaplacementofselectlet tersofthesiteyouarevisiting.

Your password is your key. Don’t let it get breeched.
    Here is a how long using a brute force program to hack your password.

Password Length/ All Characters/ Only Lowercase
    3 characters/ 0.86 seconds/ 0.02 seconds
    4 characters/ 1.36 minutes./ 046 seconds
    5 characters/ 2.15 hours/ 11.9 seconds
    6 characters/ 8.51 days/ 5.15 minutes
    7 characters/ 2.21 years/ 2.23 hours
    8 characters/ 2.10 centuries/ 2.42 days
    9 characters/ 20 millennia/ 2.07 months
    10 characters/ 1,899 millennia/
    11 characters/ 180,365 millennia/
    12 characters/ 17,184,705 millennia/
    13 characters/ 1,627,797,068 millennia/
    14 characters/ 154,640,721,434 millennia/

Roth Army defends against brute force, but lesser sites might not. And you might use that password here.

You say that does not matter. Nobody knows where I go or bank. Well that file you just downloaded from Billy Bob, who uses little to no security while visiting Russian Mafia sites, got a brief peek-a-boo into your system with a lesser known hack before you or your system shut it down. Now those cookies are only a password away from in.

Data logging is a whole other fiend, and best dealt with by using separate computers on separate intra and Internet networks and are topics unto themselves.

"EVERYBODY UP!!!"™
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Yeah, yeah, blah, blah ~Data~!

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondjimi View Post
    What are you using for a DAW, Blaze?

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Started thinking, based on what Kwame had to say about what he was sending, that I'd rather have separate stereo tracks for the kick, snare, toms & overheads rather than one stereo mix I'm stuck with on my own tunes. Imaging for CPU space I'll eventually have to bounce it down to a master drum mix I'm stuck with, but I want to be 100% OK with the version I'm stuck with.

Rock God
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    You are talking about the final drum track, not the mp3 we are all going to use to track our individual stuff, right?

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardrock69 View Post
    You are talking about the final drum track, not the mp3 we are all going to use to track our individual stuff, right?

Yeah, totally...long as I can hear the drums on the MP3 well enough to track my part(s), I'm cool. Sorry, I was talking about for my own stuff, and also kinda wondering out loud what'd be best for final mixing purposes there and in this context, as to what DJ wants....

"EVERYBODY UP!!!"™
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Well, if Kwame breaks his kit into 4+ controllable tracks ( In wav.) for his final take , the more tracks the merrier. Ideally a stereo overhead setup (2 mics) / 1 kick (2 if possible, one inside and one about 6' off the front head with a horse blanket encasing the entire front like an igloo sounds amazing The natural low end girth blended with the beater mic inside will melt your brain, it's so good) and one on the snare (2 if possible. One for each head) .

I've always wondered about the possibility of the conversion to mp3 has timeline robbing effects, even in the millisecond realm. Regardless, I think a lossless mixdown of the drums should be passed out to ensure exact timeline.
    Then I guess bass and rhythm can get slapped on and then we can divvy up solo times. Or we can each do full passes and pick the best bits and transitions. It could go either way.

C.U.N.T. Ambassador
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Yeah, yeah, blah, blah ~Data~!
    Aouuu, Forgive me for getting kicked off the Internet!

I am using NCH

I used Movie Maker to record that evening. I thought I would be able to pop out the file. But then I realized, I couldn't access any of my recording programs.

BTW
    Modzilla and Chrome released an update. This update includes a patch for invalid certificates that were issued.
    I knew I had an exploit. I was having trouble finding it.
    I was pretty certain that I had a certificate issue. And that was what it was.
    It is nice to be able to use my pointer properly again

If you have not updated, those two browsers do so TODAY.... NOW.
    If you are not sure check for an update. to update Chrome click on the About Chrome section.

Also, Scype has a known security issue on a mac.
    Update it today.

For the geeks:
    ~I couldn't find it. It must have not got saved before the crash.

You know what really annoys me, is I did a complete reset and reformat of my phone looking for the issue.
    Last edited by Blaze; 05-08-2011 at 11:43 PM.

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Ideally, a .WAV file of the drums would be better even to track against, huh?

"EVERYBODY UP!!!"™
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by jhale667 View Post
    Ideally, a .WAV file of the drums would be better even to track against, huh?
    Yeah, why not it's the real deal. Are we gonna run with HR's idea? I dig it. If thats the case, Kwame learns it, tracks it shoots me the tracks. I can mix it and shoot it over to HR for bass and guitar, and from there he can continue with his tracking . He can shoot me back the basic rythym and bass and I can one again mix it and send an updated mix around asap etc....

C.U.N.T. Ambassador
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Ok back up and running....

C.U.N.T. Ambassador
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Good Lord! 4.5 Kb/s I just might wait until my next trip to town. Which will be tomorrow.

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Yeah, why not it's the real deal. Are we gonna run with HR's idea? I dig it. If thats the case, Kwame learns it, tracks it shoots me the tracks. I can mix it and shoot it over to HR for bass and guitar, and from there he can continue with his tracking . He can shoot me back the basic rythym and bass and I can one again mix it and send an updated mix around asap etc....
    Sounds like a plan...you play master producer/engineer and send out the backing tracks you want us to work off of...we send you separate .wav files of our part(s), bam!

Rock God
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Well, all I need is a stereo mp3. Long as I can hear the kick/snare cleanly, I am fine. I need to make an adjustment though to my initial drum track idea. The very first section, the drum part is:

kick......snarekick. The kick right after the snare needs to be delayed a bit to match the guitar and bass line(kick......snare......kick). I will fix it and post a fixed version in a day or so. Want Kwame to learn the best version for the song. As once he has it tracked, no need for him to redo anything.

"EVERYBODY UP!!!"™
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Sounds like a plan...you play master producer/engineer and send out the backing tracks you want us to work off of...we send you separate .wav files of our part(s), bam!
    If it's cool with you guys. I live for this stuff. It's great to work on something other than my own project that's literally consumed the last 14 months of my life...

Well, all I need is a stereo mp3. Long as I can hear the kick/snare cleanly, I am fine. I need to make an adjustment though to my initial drum track idea. The very first section, the drum part is:

kick......snarekick. The kick right after the snare needs to be delayed a bit to match the guitar and bass line(kick......snare......kick). I will fix it and post a fixed version in a day or so. Want Kwame to learn the best version for the song. As once he has it tracked, no need for him to redo anything.
    Fuckin A!

Rock God
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Heh...this is the first new song I have written in almost a year. Got burned out on my album-project-in-the-making and slacked off, then was able to get the original multi-tracks of some demos I did back in the 90s, and have been going balls to the wall on that as of late.

This track is quite inspirational!

Perpetually Befuddled
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I've come up with one or two melodic ideas for the bass part, but tell me what you guys think about this: I'd like to wait until kwame has tracked his drum parts, in order to play off of that. To me, it would create a far more organic feel, as I would be performing with a person. He might do a fill that could set my thinking in a totally different direction, and quite frankly, I wouldn't be so tempted to overplay in order to beef up the rhythm. If you guys are going to be soloing on top of this, about the last thing you need is a too-busy bass part. Come to think of it, it might make sense to track the bass part last, as I could create one or two off-hand harmony lines with the leads.

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
    ― Stephen Hawking

The true JBC
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I was gone for the weekend and haven't caught up with what's going on, yet.

I'll give HR's tune a listen after work................
    Quote Originally Posted by vandeleur View Post
    E- Jesus . Playing both sides because he didnt understand the argument in the first place

The true JBC
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by chefcraig View Post
    I've come up with one or two melodic ideas for the bass part, but tell me what you guys think about this: I'd like to wait until kwame has tracked his drum parts, in order to play off of that. To me, it would create a far more organic feel, as I would be performing with a person. He might do a fill that could set my thinking in a totally different direction, and quite frankly, I wouldn't be so tempted to overplay in order to beef up the rhythm. If you guys are going to be soloing on top of this, about the last thing you need is a too-busy bass part. Come to think of it, it might make sense to track the bass part last, as I could create one or two off-hand harmony lines with the leads.
    That's fine with me, Craig.........even if the reverse happens and a bas lick inspires a drum part, it's easy enough to rerecord a part.

Rock God
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I agree.

The true JBC
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Started thinking, based on what Kwame had to say about what he was sending, that I'd rather have separate stereo tracks for the kick, snare, toms & overheads rather than one stereo mix I'm stuck with on my own tunes. Imaging for CPU space I'll eventually have to bounce it down to a master drum mix I'm stuck with, but I want to be 100% OK with the version I'm stuck with.

Sending WAV files is no problem from my end.......I was thinking the file sizes may be a bit much for some to download. Whatever you guys want is cool with me.

The true JBC
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Well, if Kwame breaks his kit into 4+ controllable tracks ( In wav.) for his final take , the more tracks the merrier. Ideally a stereo overhead setup (2 mics) / 1 kick (2 if possible, one inside and one about 6' off the front head with a horse blanket encasing the entire front like an igloo sounds amazing The natural low end girth blended with the beater mic inside will melt your brain, it's so good) and one on the snare (2 if possible. One for each head) .

I've always wondered about the possibility of the conversion to mp3 has timeline robbing effects, even in the millisecond realm. Regardless, I think a lossless mixdown of the drums should be passed out to ensure exact timeline.
    Then I guess bass and rhythm can get slapped on and then we can divvy up solo times. Or we can each do full passes and pick the best bits and transitions. It could go either way.
    The only reason I was only going to use four tracks was to keep the file size and tracks down to a minimum because of the number of people playing on a song......more for track space.

I do like the the four track setup, though......gives a great drum tone but I can record eight tracks live!

Perpetually Befuddled
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    So I'm assuming I would run a line out of the computer into my Fostex X-14, record the song onto one or two tracks, then overdub my part. What I'm unsure of is getting the recording back to you guys. Barring issues on my end, I could probably mail someone the tape and have them upload it, right?

Rock God
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Can you run a direct line out into the line in of your sound card on your PC, Craig? All you have to do is record the part you record on your Fostex onto a .wav file through the line in of your sound card and send it. We can deal with issues about aligning it with the other tracks so it synchs properly.

Unless you don't have a great sound card or software to record. You can always just dump it to a casette, and DJ can clean up tape hiss, etc.

And Kwame, however many tracks is fine. Your worries about file size are sort of irrelevant. If you are sending to DiamondJimi, track the drums at 24-bit 44.1, send them to DJ then he can convert to a stereo mp3 for the rest of us to track to. And that file would only be a few megabytes. Ask him how many tracks he wants for his mixdown though.
    Last edited by Hardrock69; 05-09-2011 at 10:30 AM.

The true JBC
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Craig....or if you can go out from your computer to the Fostex, you should be able to take the output from the Fostex and run it back into your computer. Most sounds cards have a mic or stereo inputs. Might have to go to Radio Shack or a music store and get a 1/4" to RCA cable or whatever the output from the Fostex to the computer would require.

That way you are in the digital domain and can make any edits you need on your end........like I said before, getting you some editing software is no problem, bro

The true JBC
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Shit......HR beat me to it!

The true JBC
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Can you run a direct line out into the line in of your sound card on your PC, Craig? All you have to do is record the part you record on your Fostex onto a .wav file through the line in and send it. We can deal with issues about aligning it with the other tracks so it synchs properly.

Unless you don't have a great sound card or software to record. You can always just dump it to a casette, and DJ can clean up tape hiss, etc.

And Kwame, however many tracks is fine. Your worries about file size are sort of irrelevant. If you are sending to DiamondJimi, track the drums at 24-bit 44.1, send them to DJ then he can convert to a stereo mp3 for the rest of us to track to. And that file would only be a few megabytes. Ask him how many tracks he wants for his mixdown though.
    For sure I'll be recording in 24/44.1!

Perpetually Befuddled
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Yeah, I'm going to need to experiment a bit here. After all, I've never used this computer for any sort of home recording, In fact, I have not used it for much other than looking at porn and posting on websites.

Rock God
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    It's pretty simple. Between all of us we can make sure you can get it taken care of.

Only thing to worry about with the PC is how good the sound card is. If it is built into the motherboard, it could be a bit iffy. And you may record it as a .wav file only to find there are a buncha pops and clicks and stuff. But even if you can only record it from the Fostex onto a standard cassette, we have the capability to transfer it into the digital domain, and like the 6-million-dollar man "We can rebuild it. We have the technology". In fact, however good you get it, we have the capabilities to make it sound much better, lol.

The true JBC
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Yeah......we will be able to get your parts on, Craig!

Perpetually Befuddled
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by kwame k View Post
    Yeah......we will be able to get your parts on, Craig!
    I really need to start wearing my newer set of glasses. I could have sworn that read "we will be able to get your pants on...", which creeped me out to no end. For a minute there, I thought Dan was producing the damned thing.

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by chefcraig View Post
    I really need to start wearing my newer set of glasses. I could have sworn that read "we will be able to get your pants on...", which creeped me out to no end. For a minute there, I thought Dan was producing the damned thing.

Rock God
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

Rock God
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @