TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    04-08-2015 @ 12:58 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,934 Times in 1,875 Posts

Budweiser Blimp / Airship

Always fucking loved seeing blimps cruising around. The week leading up to Super Bowl XXXII in Jan 1998, San Diego...we had 4 of those fuckers floating around town. Budweiser, Goodyear, Fuji, & MetLife. Goodyear was by far the biggest. Fuji was the smallest.

I knew where these guys were landing and mooring in between flights and decided why not cruise up there & see if I could get a closer look. The Bud 1 Airship was parked out there. I saw a Budweiser work truck with a guy there and I went up & asked if it would be alright if I walked over to the blimp for a closer look. He said sure. Go ahead. Enjoy!

So I got to walk right up to the big fucker, and the couple guys working on it even asked if I would like to step inside, "FUCK YES I DO!" How fucking cool of these guys. (This was before 9/11 and people used to let you do cool shit like this if you asked nicely)

Anyways, took some pics and just found them this weekend. Thought I'd share as airships are fucking cool & maybe someone will like to see the inside of one.

The pilot chair is like a wheelchair with a large wheel on each side. This is how they steer. Weird, yet kinda cool. I asked what they do for bathroom & they take jugs up with them. Interior was tiny, but embroidered with the Budweiser name & logo.

2 pilot seats, 4 captain chairs behind, and a bench in the far rear. Can't imagine it being very comfortable packed with 8 people though. Oh, and the cabin has a sunroof thing with a thick clear plastic window where you can look up into the actual blimp part. Damn if I can't find a pic of that part though.

Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

2. 2 users say thank you to sadaist for this KICKASS post:

SunisinuS (05-22-2011),Unchainme (05-24-2011)

The Menace Is Loose Again
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    04-19-2024 @ 03:21 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,015 Times in 3,250 Posts

Blog Entries
    When I lived in New York City some old timer told us the story of him playing in the yard in Hoboken, New Jersey and the Hindenburg flew right over his house. He said it was huge and those big engines just roared. That would have been something to see when you were a kid going over your house.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Builder of Sites
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    02-08-2016 @ 02:28 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,705 Times in 2,513 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nitro Express View Post
    When I lived in New York City some old timer told us the story of him playing in the yard in Hoboken, New Jersey and the Hindenburg flew right over his house. He said it was huge and those big engines just roared. That would have been something to see when you were a kid going over your house.
    How did it handle?

Atomic Punk of Los Santos
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    01-28-2017 @ 09:31 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LoungeMachine View Post
    How did it handle?

Sluggish.....like a wet sponge.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:23 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,401 Times in 6,056 Posts

Light, tasteless and full of gas.

What gave Budweiser the idea to use a blimp to promote their beer...?

9. Thanked Seshmeister for this KICKASS post:

VAiN (05-23-2011)

TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Seshmeister View Post
    Light, tasteless and full of gas.

What gave Budweiser the idea to use a blimp to promote their beer...?

HAHA. Never thought of it that way. But if you notice, the nose of the blimp is a bottle cap.

Side note, the big white eyeball thing outside the cabin on the front is the camera they use for the TV shots of the football game. I bet that thing cost almost as much as the blimp itself.

Use my hand, I won't look
    ____Van Fuckin' Halen____
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    10-27-2020 @ 08:17 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,707 Times in 1,035 Posts

The GoodYear blimp down here lives in a hanger about 10 min from my place... It's cool to drive my and see it actual size. They're fucking HUGE!!

TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by VAiN View Post
    The GoodYear blimp down here lives in a hanger about 10 min from my place... It's cool to drive my and see it actual size. They're fucking HUGE!!

Yeah...I could see the GoodYear one just taking off a couple miles away at the other end of the giant field while we were looking at the Budweiser one. Much much bigger. Plus the side lights up. But I am glad I got to see the BUD 1. It seems to be the one at all the big football events. The size is breathtaking when you get up close. Hard to describe. MASSIVE. Pics don't really do it justice.

Fear the Elf
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    08-29-2021 @ 06:13 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by VAiN View Post
    Goodyear Hangar in NEOhio is just a few miles away from where I go to school. I see that damn thing a lot during the summer.

TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Unchainme View Post
    Goodyear Hangar in NEOhio is just a few miles away from where I go to school. I see that damn thing a lot during the summer.

The engines have a very distinctive sound/hum. I was sleeping in on a Saturday when I lived near the beach one year & heard it out the window. Knew instantly what it was. Looked out & sho nuff....thar she blows!

15. Thanked sadaist for this KICKASS post:

Unchainme (05-24-2011)

Perpetually Befuddled
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-01-2017 @ 12:20 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,052 Times in 2,583 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sadaist View Post
    The engines have a very distinctive sound/hum. I was sleeping in on a Saturday when I lived near the beach one year & heard it out the window. Knew instantly what it was. Looked out & sho nuff....thar she blows!
    That is going to change. The new ships will have three, much more quiet motors instead of two huge ones.

Goodyear to replace fleet of blimps with bigger zeppelins

The tire giant will work with a German firm to build three rigid-structure airships. Starting in 2014, Goodyear will begin to swap out the blimps, including the one based in Carson.

By W.J. Hennigan, Los Angeles Times/Sun Sentinel

May 18, 2011

The 33-acre grassy airfield in Carson doesn't appear much bigger than a postage stamp when pilot Jon Conrad begins steering the 12,840-pound Goodyear blimp in for a landing.

"It looks a little different from this vantage point, doesn't it?" he says with a chuckle. "That doesn't seem like much room when you're landing an aircraft that's comparable to a Boeing 747."

The tight squeeze will get a little tighter in the coming years with this month's announcement that Goodyear Tire & Rubber Co. will once again replace its helium-filled fleet of three silver, blue, and gold blimps with bigger, faster ones.

The Akron, Ohio, company said it would work with German manufacturer ZLT Zeppelin Luftschifftechnik to build three airships costing about $21 million each. Beginning in 2014, Goodyear will begin to swap out the three blimps, now based in Akron, Pompano Beach, Fla., and Carson.

The plump Goodyear blimps have been a regular sight in Southern California since before World War II, when the U.S. Navy used them to keep an eye on the Pacific coast in case of an attack. Rarely is there a high-profile occasion in the region without it buzzing overhead.

"Some people would say that it isn't a complete Rose Bowl event without the Goodyear blimp," Pasadena Mayor Bill Bogaard said. "It floats across the sky in a way that everybody enjoys. And it's slow enough that when you call your friends and family to take a look, it will still be there."

But if the current Goodyear blimp grabs attention, the new airships will be even more eye-catching.

At 246 feet, the replacements are 54 feet longer and can hit a top speed of 73 mph — compared with the current airships' 54 mph. They will have three propeller engines attached above the gondola, unlike the two noisy engines that currently flank the rear of the gondola.

Because they will have rigid skeletons, in this case made of aluminum and carbon-fiber, they will technically be zeppelins and not blimps. But rest easy; the airship will still be called the Goodyear blimp. It will carry 12 passengers — six more than today's blimps — and include state-of-the art avionics and flight control systems.

They're typically replaced every 10 to 15 years. The current blimp in Carson was built in 2001.

"It's like I'm getting a new car," said Conrad, 41, a onetime helicopter crop duster from Nebraska who's now Goodyear's head pilot at the airfield. "I'll enjoy showing it off."

Showing off the airship is the whole point.

Take, for example, the Super Bowl. Goodyear packs in a television cameraman and provides aerial shots — as long as ground crews snap some footage of the blimp during the game.

While companies are shelling out as much as $3 million for a 30-second commercial, Goodyear gets what amounts to a handful of 10-second commercials just by providing airborne footage, said Kelly O'Keefe, a marketing professor at Virginia Commonwealth University.

The company wouldn't say how much it benefits from the enterprise but said that the dollar value of the broadcast attention it gets over the course of year far outweighs the costs of operations. Goodyear said the advertising value is in the "millions of dollars."

"They get exposure at every highly trafficked public event," O'Keefe said. "That's a lot of value from an advertising perspective."

It's been so successful that other companies — Metropolitan Life Insurance Co. and Fujifilm Holdings Corp. among them — have slapped their names on the side of blimps, Kelly said.

"But Goodyear's blimps are iconic," he said. "It's gotten to the point that if you just saw a silhouette of a blimp in the sky, you'd assume it belonged to Goodyear."

The blimp in Carson, dubbed Spirit of America, flies about four tours for passengers every day, typically for Goodyear clients who clamber inside the six-passenger gondola. The 45-minute late-afternoon tours are not available to the public; they're invitation-only and free of charge to friends and customers of the company as well as charity auctions.

While some neighbors find it noisy at times, the blimp is a popular sight in the South Bay, including to motorists passing by the airfield, which is just east of the 405 Freeway.

When the announcement came that Goodyear was replacing the fleet, the company's Facebook page was barraged with well-wishing send-offs. One teenage girl posted a message asking for assurance that the outgoing fleet be handled with care and to "not destroy the blimps."

In 1991, people sent in get-well cards to the blimp after it collided with a remote-controlled model airplane and suffered a 1-square-foot gash.

And riding on the blimp is close-up and personal.

"If you want a nice view of what's below, this is the way to go," said Victor Gongora, a 45-year-old tire dealer from Santa Clarita. "A plane goes too fast. It's hard to see where you're at when you're traveling that fast."

The company got into the blimp business in 1910. During World War II, the U.S. Navy maintained a fleet of more than 150 blimps built by Goodyear, and many were used to patrol the California coast. Some were even outfitted with .50-caliber machine guns.

The region's blimp heritage still is visible at the two hangars at the defunct Tustin Marine Corps Air Station. The hangars are currently used to perform maintenance on the Goodyear blimp.

Goodyear and ZLT Zeppelin teams will build the new airships at Goodyear facilities near Akron. The two companies previously built massive airships designed to carry hundreds of people from continent to continent, starting in 1924. The early zeppelins were four times as long as the current blimps.

But the deal between the two companies took a hit after the Hindenburg burst into flames in 1937 in front of news cameras while mooring at Lakehurst, N.J., deflating the chances for lighter-than-air ships to become a popular mode of travel.

Goodyear blimps are filled with nonflammable helium, not hydrogen like the Hindenburg. The company has been operating out of Carson since 1968 and in that time has never had a major accident.

"Nobody's afraid of the Goodyear blimp," Conrad said before a recent flight over the South Bay. "People smile when they see it go by. You know, I didn't get that kind of reaction when I flew helicopters."

17. Thanked chefcraig for this KICKASS post:

sadaist (05-24-2011)

TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Damn Chef....we're gonna have zeppelins floating around? more than 50 feet longer than our current largest blimps too. Fucking crazy! Can't wait to see one, except I think I will always picture the Hindenburg on fire every time I see one.

Still though...these new ones will still only be about 1/3 the size of the old MONSTERS

*my buddy used to bring two GIANT joints with him when we would camp at the CO River for Spring Breaks. The Graf Zeppelin & the Hindenburg. Yep.....they always went down in flames.

A size comparison of the Hindenburg with a 747
    and the Titanic. The Titanic is only 78 feet longer
    than the Hindenburg at 882 feet long.

TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Sick....yet just plain awesome!

Graf Zeppelin

TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Graf Zeppelin in Los Angeles on its round the world flight in the 1929. Check out the Goodyear blimp next to it.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    04-19-2024 @ 03:21 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,015 Times in 3,250 Posts

Blog Entries
    Damn Chef....we're gonna have zeppelins floating around? more than 50 feet longer than our current largest blimps too. Fucking crazy! Can't wait to see one, except I think I will always picture the Hindenburg on fire every time I see one.

Still though...these new ones will still only be about 1/3 the size of the old MONSTERS

*my buddy used to bring two GIANT joints with him when we would camp at the CO River for Spring Breaks. The Graf Zeppelin & the Hindenburg. Yep.....they always went down in flames.

A size comparison of the Hindenburg with a 747
    and the Titanic. The Titanic is only 78 feet longer
    than the Hindenburg at 882 feet long.

Yeah. The old dude that saw the Hindenburg going over his house said it was HUGE! He said it had huge engines that just roared as it went overhead.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Graf Zeppelin

Where's Indy?

ROTH KILL!
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-17-2021 @ 08:52 PM
    Status
    Thanks

I wonder how many football games and races the Bud blimp flew over.

Perpetually Befuddled
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BITEYOASS View Post
    I wonder how many football games and races the Bud blimp flew over.
    It's a good question, but a better one would be why is there so little on the internet about the craft? Seriously, try a Google search on "Budweiser blimp" or "Bud One Airship". Other than models, lamps or banks, you can't seem to find a word about the damned thing.

TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by chefcraig View Post
    It's a good question, but a better one would be why is there so little on the internet about the craft? Seriously, try a Google search on "Budweiser blimp" or "Bud One Airship". Other than models, lamps or banks, you can't seem to find a word about the damned thing.
    Yeah dude, it's weird. In fact when I did a Google search to try to find some stuff to post here....this thread came up on page 1 of the results.

Oh well. Maybe in the future some airship fans will find their way to the RothArmy and become CVH fans.

26. Thanked sadaist for this KICKASS post:

chefcraig (05-26-2011)

Internetmaimment*TM
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    02-12-2017 @ 06:39 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Hesse, Germany, June 12, 2011
    The Goodyear blimp flies in Hesse, Germany, during the Hessentag festival. One pilot and three passengers — journalists taking aerial shots of the celebrations — were on board the flight on June 12, 2011, when the craft burst into flames.

Read more: http://www.time.com/time/photogaller...#ixzz1PDA4M998

http://www.time.com/time/photogaller...html?hpt=hp_t2

I am A Root Vegetable
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    06-21-2021 @ 10:28 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Graf Zeppelin
    I know for a fact < never been there) from pics I have see thru the years there aren't many -High Places- around the piramyds in or in a desert, or in Egypt...So to me the biggest thrill here is something rare, being on top of one of the piramyds for a photo oportunity.

The Khafre pyramid is in the image, they must be sitting,... I am not saying on top, but why NOT!..of the Khufu .

I am having wood.

TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SunisinuS View Post
    Hesse, Germany, June 12, 2011
    The Goodyear blimp flies in Hesse, Germany, during the Hessentag festival. One pilot and three passengers — journalists taking aerial shots of the celebrations — were on board the flight on June 12, 2011, when the craft burst into flames.

Read more: http://www.time.com/time/photogaller...#ixzz1PDA4M998

http://www.time.com/time/photogaller...html?hpt=hp_t2

So fucking sad. When the pilot told the others to jump to safety when they were only 7 feet off the ground, I bet he didn't realize the weight loss would make him rise up....and he would jump out after the passengers did. If I were a passenger, I would feel like shit knowing that by me jumping out it caused the blimp to rise & not allow pilot to jump out. So sad. They could hear him screaming. That will haunt them.

Not a picture of a blimp I really like showing. But there is something a bit mesmerizing watching one of these beasts demise. I don't know if it's the sheer size or the slow motion way in which the destruction takes place. It is very surreal.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

It was called 'The Spirit of Safety' which is kind of asking for trouble.

You would think these things would be completely impossible to go on fire these days made of flame retardant material and full of helium.

Apparently both engines went on fire.

Perpetually Befuddled
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Not a picture of a blimp I really like showing. But there is something a bit mesmerizing watching one of these beasts demise. I don't know if it's the sheer size or the slow motion way in which the destruction takes place. It is very surreal.
    Zeppelin Shoots - "They fell so much more gracefully than grouse." From Bruce McCall's bizarrely entertaining book of surreal alternate history, art and commentary Zany Afternoons, published in 1982.

Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-25-2018 @ 08:44 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    So fucking sad. When the pilot told the others to jump to safety when they were only 7 feet off the ground, I bet he didn't realize the weight loss would make him rise up....and he would jump out after the passengers did. If I were a passenger, I would feel like shit knowing that by me jumping out it caused the blimp to rise & not allow pilot to jump out. So sad. They could hear him screaming. That will haunt them.

Very sad. And, being knowledgable in his craft, and about the aircraft he was flying,
    the pilot probably knew what would happen...
    yet proceeded to save the lives of his passengers

Not a day that I would like to have to remember.

I am curious about the cause of the fires.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Thread Information