Thread: 100th Anniversary Running Of The Indy 500.....

Rock God
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-03-2024 @ 04:13 AM
    A Small Dive in a trashy neighborhood somewhere on Fornax 9
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,616 Times in 1,647 Posts

100th Anniversary Running Of The Indy 500.....

Really interesting race. I drool over Danica Patrick and want to lick her pussy!!!

That said, she is in 7th place at lap 158.

No major wrecks so far, but half a dozen cars are gone due to running into walls and other minor stuff.

Interesting thing I discovered is that Honda makes the engines for ALL cars in the Indy 500.

Info here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IndyCar_Series

Honda engine:

Honda also came to the IRL in 2003, and by 2005 was clearly the dominant engine manufacturer. Starting in 2006, they became the only engine manufacturer in the IndyCar Series, and will continue in that capacity through 2011. The Honda engine is designed and produced by Ilmor, which is part owned by Roger Penske.
    A 2008-spec Honda Indy V8

Since the IndyCar Series has only one engine manufacturer, that manufacturer concentrates on minimizing engine failure and minimizing costs instead of defeating rivals. As such, the engines are moderately de-tuned. The engines have proven themselves to be quite durable — there have been no engine failures at Indy from 2006-2010, which also lowers the number of crashes. Most of the engines, including those used for the Indy 500, are used for multiple races and are intended to last 1,200 miles (1,931 kilometers) between rebuilds.[13] The Honda engines are only available via lease arrangement from Honda, which, for the 2010 full season, costs $935,000 U.S. per season, per car. Honda techs travel with the series, as well as attending all IRL team testing sessions.[14]

IndyCar Series engines are rev-limited to 10,300 rpm and produce approximately 650 hp. The valve train is a dual overhead camshaft configuration with four valves per cylinder. The crankshaft is made of alloy steel, with five main bearing caps. The pistons are forged aluminum alloy, while the connecting rods are machined alloy steel. The electronic engine management system is supplied by Motorola, firing a CDI ignition system. The engine lubrication is a dry sump type, cooled by a single water pump.
    One other cool thing....relevant to the history of the Indy 500.....they interviewed the son of the guy who won the FIRST Indy 500 race in 1911! Dude was 96, and still had his shit together. Short interview, but really cool, even so.
    Last edited by Hardrock69; 05-29-2011 at 02:52 PM.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Perpetually Befuddled
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-01-2017 @ 12:20 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,052 Times in 2,583 Posts

Did anyone else catch the F-1 Monaco GP this morning? Holy crap, what a race! I won't spoil it for those planning on watching the replay, which will be tomorrow morning on SPEED at 11:30AM, but damn...
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

The Menace Is Loose Again
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    04-08-2015 @ 12:58 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,934 Times in 1,875 Posts

Back in the 70's & 80's my Grandpa owned a Chevy dealership. My Mom would drive cars with dealer plates until they hit like 10k miles and then the lot would sell them discounted. So she always had a sweet new ride. She had a thing for Corvettes and her all time favorite was the Corvette pace car from the 1978 Indy 500. She always talked about how much she loved that car. It had all the writing on it & everything. Sure felt fucking cool getting picked up at school in that thing. I bought her a 1/24 model of it for her birthday one year & she kept it on her night stand.

AWESOME CAR!

Been an Indy 500 fan ever since. But that car is what got me interested in what it was all about.

"The extremely high demand for the pace car continually increased the quantity produced and in the end Chevrolet decided to build one for every Corvette dealer, a total of 6,502."

If you wanna read about that Corvette....

http://www.mathewscollection.com/cor...Coupe_Pace.htm
    Last edited by sadaist; 05-29-2011 at 03:32 PM.

4. Thanked sadaist for this KICKASS post:

chefcraig (05-29-2011)

The Menace Is Loose Again
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    04-08-2015 @ 12:58 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,934 Times in 1,875 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Hardrock69 View Post
    Really interesting race. I drool over Danica Patrick and want to lick her pussy!!!

That said, she is in 7th place at lap 158.

Hold up. The slutty 'Go Daddy' girl races cars?

Rock God
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Oh my god!

J R Hildebrandt...rookie driver...was in the lead, going into the FINAL turn....and he ran into the wall and the second place guy won! How HEARTBREAKING! He was in first place in the last lap...got down to the wire only to see his win waving "bye-bye". :-(

Danica Patrick came in 8th place. :-/

Rock God
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Interesting Sadaist....I just saw one of those cars the other day!

Perpetually Befuddled
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sadaist View Post
    Hold up. The slutty 'Go Daddy' girl races cars?

One of them does. Candice Michelle on the other hand, can barely walk in high heels while speaking. Not that it's a bad thing...

Rock God
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Ugh....I was wrong. Danica finished 10th overall. Funny, they were showing her in 8th place at the finish.

Oh well. She ran a clean race, and did extremely well. Too bad she had to refuel at the end....she would have finished higher. But they wanted her to be able to get up in the pack, as she started at 25th, so they set the airfoils so the car would hug the track a bit tighter. This caused the car to run a few mph slower, even when running flat out. So even in first place, she was lapping at 218 mph, while the person who overtook her was doing 222.

She just needs to do better in qualifying. I admire her. Not just for her droolable hotness, but for succeeding in a male-dominated sport.

She kicks fucking ass.

Perpetually Befuddled
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

This might have been her last 500, as it looks like she's headed to NASCAR full time next year.

GoDaddy eyes Danica Patrick move

ESPN

INDIANAPOLIS -- Bob Parsons, CEO and founder of Danica Patrick sponsor GoDaddy.com, said Sunday he expects her to make the move full-time to NASCAR next season.

"She hasn't told me she will, but I believe she will and we'll be ready," Parsons said. "Here's the fact: She loves [NASCAR], it's much more exciting than IndyCar, with all due respect, and the TV audience for NASCAR is off the hook."

Parsons was at Indianapolis Motor Speedway Sunday to watch Patrick compete in the event. Patrick is working on a plan to race full-time in the Nationwide Series is 2012 and move to Sprint Cup in 2013, sources confirmed earlier this week.

"She came up to me right after she did her first NASCAR race [the 2010 Nationwide race at Daytona]," Parson said. "She said to me, 'I absolutely loved it. This is what I was born to do.' "

Parsons emphasized he is behind her whatever decision she makes.

"As long as I can stroke the check," he said. "I tell you what, she doesn't exactly work for minimum wage. I usually don't get into that too much until the decision's been made. But I've told her I would sponsor her if she started ice skating."

Parsons said a move to NASCAR full-time by Patrick would benefit GoDaddy.com.

"It would be good for us," he said. "The races she's in now in Nationwide, whether in front or in the back, it's still fantastic for us. I've had people tell me, 'I'm going to start watching NASCAR to see Danica.' She is the one person that America roots for. America loves her."

Parsons said GoDaddy.com's market share has tripled from $300 million to $1.1 billion in sales since his company started backing Patrick in 2005.

"And we've done a lot to help her become a household name,'' Parsons said. "They see her in our commercials and on the website. Over a million people come to our site every day.

"She's edgy like we are, and a little inappropriate like we are. But you notice whenever we do a commercial, she's always the hero. She's never the brunt of the joke. And her recognition is off the hook. She's perfect for GoDaddy."

Parsons was asked if he needs Patrick to make an announcement soon.

"It matters, but not in terms of whether I will sponsor her or not," he said. "She stuck by us and I'm definitely going to stick by her."

Along with Patrick's IndyCar ride at Andretti Autosport and her Nationwide car at JR Motorsports, GoDaddy also sponsors Mark Martin's Cup car at Hendrick Motorsports.

Martin is leaving after this season and Kasey Kahne is taking over in that car. Will GoDaddy sponsor Kahne in 2012?

"We're working on that," Parsons said. "I can tell you Mr. [Rick] Hendrick runs an awfully good team and he's been a great business partner for us."

Parsons also was asked whether he would sponsor Patrick if she tries to continue to run the Indy 500 while competing full-time in NASCAR.

"I think you know the answer to that," Parsons said. "Sure we will."

Fear the Elf
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    08-29-2021 @ 06:13 PM
    Status
    Thanks

watched this on dvr, as I had to work..

incredible!

What a fucking race, Hildebrand just had a Cleveland Sports team like ending..but my god that's amazing, hopefully a bright future for this kid.

Congrats to Wheldon! A class guy and a great person. Everything you'd want in a two-time indy champion.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:17 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,015 Times in 3,250 Posts

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sadaist View Post
    Back in the 70's & 80's my Grandpa owned a Chevy dealership. My Mom would drive cars with dealer plates until they hit like 10k miles and then the lot would sell them discounted. So she always had a sweet new ride. She had a thing for Corvettes and her all time favorite was the Corvette pace car from the 1978 Indy 500. She always talked about how much she loved that car. It had all the writing on it & everything. Sure felt fucking cool getting picked up at school in that thing. I bought her a 1/24 model of it for her birthday one year & she kept it on her night stand.

AWESOME CAR!

Been an Indy 500 fan ever since. But that car is what got me interested in what it was all about.

"The extremely high demand for the pace car continually increased the quantity produced and in the end Chevrolet decided to build one for every Corvette dealer, a total of 6,502."

If you wanna read about that Corvette....

http://www.mathewscollection.com/cor...Coupe_Pace.htm
    My daughter is dating someone who's mom inherited a 1989 corvette. She put some money into it and got it running good and then it wouldn't run anymore. I said I would take a look at it and it was just a bad air conditioning compressor clutch that was dragging on the engine and stalling it.

I don't have much experience with Corvettes but I loved the easy access to the engine and the fuel injectors were such easy access. I just changed the injectors on a Range Rover and had to tear a bunch of stuff out just to get clear access to all the injectors.

So whoever laid out the engine well on that Corvette had the mechanic in mind. I can see why they are popular from that standpoint.

Rock God
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

They are not the Great American Sports Car for nothing! Factory is only about an hour north of here in Kentucky. Someday if I ever get out of Financial Ruinsville, it is one of my minor goals in life to go check it out.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries

When I was a kid the guy across the street had a 66 Stingray. Same color as the one in the video but his was the hardtop fast back. I always thought it was a great looking car. Those are my favorite vettes.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    They are not the Great American Sports Car for nothing! Factory is only about an hour north of here in Kentucky. Someday if I ever get out of Financial Ruinsville, it is one of my minor goals in life to go check it out.
    My wife drives a Suburban and I took it into the dealer to have the speedometer replaced on warranty and they had about five or six Corvettes in the showroom. I asked how they were selling and they said they had sold more in 2011 already than they did in 2010. Depending on what you get the prices vary but you can get into a base model vette for reasonable money.

Internetmaimment*TM
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    02-12-2017 @ 06:39 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    My brother used to flip Vettes and had 6 of them until the last one had this one little strange hole in the back fender.

Game Over.
    Last edited by SunisinuS; 05-30-2011 at 05:23 AM. Reason: He had bought that one in Detroit.

26-21
    ROTH ARMY ELITE

Member No
    Last Online
    10-07-2020 @ 08:27 PM
    Status
    Thanks

I owned a white '72 for a short time back in '93...the last year for the chrome bumpers.....nothing special, just a 350 auto, 4bbl, dual exhaust...I had cars with those engines before, but the light weight and stance of that thing made it run like a scolded dog! Insurance was outrageous...I sold it to my brother for 4 bills. It was cool....just impractical...couldn't carry shit with me, and kinda didn't like climbing down to get in...it was all hood!

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by hideyoursheep View Post
    I owned a white '72 for a short time back in '93...the last year for the chrome bumpers.....nothing special, just a 350 auto, 4bbl, dual exhaust...I had cars with those engines before, but the light weight and stance of that thing made it run like a scolded dog! Insurance was outrageous...I sold it to my brother for 4 bills. It was cool....just impractical...couldn't carry shit with me, and kinda didn't like climbing down to get in...it was all hood!
    It's thrust to weight. Cutting weight equals more engine in a heavier car. I've driven some light little cars that go zero to 60 as fast as some big muscle car.

Rock God
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Some guy in my neighborhood back in the 60s had a 66 Stingray as well. I used to walk by his house, and would go up and stare at it really closely, wishing someday I could own one. It was a hardtop as well, but was a sky-blue color.
    Last edited by Hardrock69; 05-31-2011 at 02:10 AM.

Internetmaimment*TM
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    02-12-2017 @ 06:39 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Some guy in my neighborhood back in the 60s had a 66 Stingray as well. I used to walk by his house, and would go up and stare at it really closely, wishing someday I could own one. It was a hardtop as well, but was a sky-blue color.
    As I remember Stock Color that year. My first two were a '74 and then a '64 Cad Convertible. Front wheel drive on a 500 cubic inch engine on that '74. Used to the cover the whole car in Grey Smoke when she took off. She was Black. The 2nd one was pure White.

The Australian.
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    10-07-2023 @ 07:35 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,102 Times in 823 Posts

i was a member of the 02 aussie pit crew, and have the photo's.

Dick The Bruiser
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    02-05-2021 @ 09:51 PM
    Status
    Thanks

It was a pretty good spec 500. Finally we can forget about DP and GoDaddy in Indycar. They’re moving to NASCRAP. (Spec series also). They let go Tom Anderson at Andretti for lack of results. Long Beach must have been a long ride back (Mike Conway). I wonder if they’ll let go Marco for lack of results?

The double file restarts were a joke. The cars and drivers usually make the race interesting, not the rules. Let them double file in NASCRAP. Ask Cheever about restarts after the Andretti’s stormed Cheever’s entrance into turn 1 Lap 1 back in 1992. The Andretti’s had an issue with Cheever that year anyway.

Paul Tracy, get your act together. Reputations are important. Still had the best quote: "some people say the car qualifies and starts the race not the driver, then why don't they put the image of the car on the Borg Warner Trophy"

Penske was funny to watch if you like watching a stellar organization turn into the Keystone Cops.

Graham Rahal is the real deal. 29th to 3rd.

Chevy will return to real IndyCar. Ganassi gets to be the anchor Honda engine team.

Congrats to St Petersburg resident Dan Wheldon. Well Done.

The Australian.
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

world champ 02 cristiano da matta pitting during the surfers paradise indy 300... yep, ol' ash was pretty close to the action.

Rock God
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Stupid question.....shows how long I have been out of the loop on this....so they have jacks built-in to the car now to change the tires? I fucking tripped out on the pitstops....WTF?
    That surely saves a few seconds, and means they only need four guys for tires and one for gas.....nobody out there jacking the car up or down....

The Australian.
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

dunno HR..back in 02 they even had external starter motors to cut weight. unfortunately after the irl/cart split i kinda lost interest, and we don't get indy racing on free to air anymore. i will say that day in october 02 was one of the best days of my life. our v8 supercar series is much more popular here than open wheel racing, and the queensland government stopped funding the indy race a few years ago which is a terrible shame because all the drivers/teams/tourists i spoke to said it was their absolute favourite stop on the tour.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Stupid question.....shows how long I have been out of the loop on this....so they have jacks built-in to the car now to change the tires? I fucking tripped out on the pitstops....WTF?
    That surely saves a few seconds, and means they only need four guys for tires and one for gas.....nobody out there jacking the car up or down....
    You would think they would avoid that because it adds weight to the car. I guess the extra weight vs. time in the pits is the opportunity cost of doing it. You could make the jack out of aluminum, titanium, or even carbon fiber but something has to make it move and that means a pump or motor of some kind. Even if it's air pressure something has to inflate that. You could use the exhaust of the engine but again you are adding weight.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    You would think they would avoid that because it adds weight to the car. I guess the extra weight vs. time in the pits is the opportunity cost of doing it. You could make the jack out of aluminum, titanium, or even carbon fiber but something has to make it move and that means a pump or motor of some kind. Even if it's air pressure something has to inflate that. You could use the exhaust of the engine but again you are adding weight.

The Australian.
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

faaaaarrrrrk yeeeeeaaaaahhh!!!!
    i'd love to drive one.

Rock God
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Exactly what I was thinking Nitro, but I never once saw any pit crew guy sliding a jack under the car. Used to be that was a given, but I kept watching the pit, going WTF? Unless some top secret government agency has leaked anti-grav technology to the Indy car teams....

Rock God
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Seems it is some kind of pneumatic jack system. Check out this thread at hotrodders.com:

http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/indy...em-108582.html

Rock God
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Here....Anatomy Of An Indy Car...note items 9 and 20:

http://www.aaim1.com/pdfs/anatomy.pdf

Here is the answer:

http://jimsgarage.wordpress.com/2007...dy-500-techno/

Complete description of what happens when they change tires at a pit stop is at the link above, but here is a short history of the air-jack system:

Changing Tires

Actually it is changing wheels and tires as a unit. You see a lot of tire changes during the race and it sure happens fast. Back in the very early seventies Roger Penske was the guy who brought the “unfair advantage” to every form of racing his teams participated in. One of the innovations that really made a difference was the air jack system. That is where a pressurized hose is connected to a quick disconnect on the car and it pops the car in the air so that the tires can be pulled off and a fresh set can be installed. This reduced pit time tire changes to a matter of seconds rather than dozens and stunned the competition. The next year at Indy everyone used them............

............First the car rolls up and needs to stop exactly where it should. There are marks in the pit for that. The tire changers have the replacement wheel and tire set in a specific spot, too. Just as the car reaches the marks the gun goes to the wheel’s nut and it is loosened. Meanwhile the guy with the air hose plugs it in and the car is immediately jacked up. By this time the wheel is being pulled off the hub and dropped in position and the tire guy has picked up the replacement to push it on the hub. When he spun the nut off the hub he dropped the gun on its side. In doing so the push pin struck the ground and was slid over so that the gun would now rotate in the opposite direction. That way, when the tire guy picked up the wrench he didn’t have to waste any time flipping a switch on the wrench, he just shoved it on the hub and pressed the trigger. The tire changer on the right front side of the car has to be sure the gun and hose gets out of the way of the car so he tosses it toward the pit wall and a team mate pulls it out of the way from the other side of the wall. By that time the air hose has been pulled from the connector on the car and the car slams to the ground.

So it takes four people, one on each wheel, plus someone on the air hose. In a race there is also the guy handling the fuel hose and the guy at the nose of the car telling the driver when it is safe to hit it and take off for the track.

Open 8am-5pm M-F
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    01-08-2015 @ 01:06 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Danika kicks ass. She is smokin hot and talented. I actually hope she makes the switch to NASCAR for 2 reason. 1 the cars are safer should she fuck up she is less likely to be seriously injured. 2. more races and a bigger spot light.

Dick The Bruiser
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    02-05-2021 @ 09:51 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Smoking hot part is true. When she doesn't produce in NASCRAP, expect to see her in Playboy. That should get her one more year behind the wheel. She was heavy drinker back in her road racing days where she wasn't worth a shit. Indycar doesn't need a gimmick, it needs it's reputation back. IMS will always be there because you can take your track and move it to another city.

Real engines will be back to Indycar and the Dallara chassis will anchor the monocoque. Manufacturers can kit the rest of the assembly taking cost down and insuring better races. Tony Cottman did a great job. The new Indycar will require less inventory and needs to head in the direction of F1. Let the designers and engineers complete the aero kits and let the drivers drive.

Thread Information