X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Antman
    Commando
    • Jan 2004

Rolling Stone Strikes Again

Just saw the special issue of their Greatest 100 Bands of All Time. Guess who is absent from this list?
    When the shit hits the fan, close your mouth and duck.
  • Unchainme
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    • Apr 2005

The Clash? Bruce Springsteen?

Seriously that rag has always hated CVH, (and Rush, Kiss and Aerosmith for that matter). Not a shock.
    Still waiting for a relevant Browns Team

Comment

• VAiN
      Use my hand, I won't look
      ROCKSTAR

• Nov 2006

Grateful Dead? U2?
      Originally posted by wiseguy
      That shit will welcome you in the morning and pour the milk in your count chocula for ya.

Comment

• sadaist
        TOASTMASTER GENERAL
        • Jul 2004

Originally posted by Antman
        Just saw the special issue of their Greatest 100 Bands of All Time. Guess who is absent from this list?

Maybe VH is like Jesus Christ. You don't put Jesus in a list of the 100 greatest prophets.

“Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Comment

• sadaist
          TOASTMASTER GENERAL
          • Jul 2004

PS Antman...I thanked your post because you DID NOT include the link. Usually it's the opposite here. Links required. But in this instance I am glad you didn't include a link to that shit rag.
          “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Comment

• chefcraig
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • Apr 2004

Who cares? This "list" was created 7 years ago and is only being rehashed because it has been a slow week for music news. The same arguments get made every time Rolling Stone fobs one of these page-filling wastes of time on the public, so by now they should be greeted with a yawn of indifference. Ignore the damned thing, it wasn't worth getting worked up over the last time.

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
            ― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• Unchainme
              ROTH ARMY SUPREME
              • Apr 2005

Can we make our own list?

seriously.

I think this could be done. Of course there'd be some bias towards the mighty VH, but it would still be an interesting list to see. All of our musical tastes are pretty damn diverse, moreso than RS!

Comment

• sadaist
                TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                • Jul 2004

Originally posted by Unchainme
                Can we make our own list?

seriously.

I think this could be done. Of course there'd be some bias towards the mighty VH, but it would still be an interesting list to see. All of our musical tastes are pretty damn diverse, moreso than RS!
                No shit. I am still surprised at what many posters here enjoy. I for one really like Colin Hay. Some of the stuff Ford posts is way out there and I think Binnie craps thrash metal. The guitar heads listen to some pretty diverse characters too.

Yeah, fuck Rolling Stone magazine.

Comment

• Unchainme
                  ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                  • Apr 2005

Originally posted by sadaist
                  No shit. I am still surprised at what many posters here enjoy. I for one really like Colin Hay. Some of the stuff Ford posts is way out there and I think Binnie craps thrash metal. The guitar heads listen to some pretty diverse characters too.

Yeah, fuck Rolling Stone magazine.
                  I've got Fleetwood Mac, NWA, Kanye West along with Motley Crue, Van Halen and the old stand bys.

seriously, I want to see if we can get this started. Don't know how the ballot would look, but somebody could work something out.

Comment

• riggodrill44
                    Roadie
                    • Nov 2004

How the Classic Van Halen lineup could not make anyone's Top 10 Bands of all time list would show a lack of musical knowledge... or a bias. I backup this opinion with the following facts...

1. CVH sold 10s of millions of records.
                    2. Their tours were sold out everywhere they played. Out West, down South, up North, back East. Didn't matter. The people spoke with their dollars.
                    3. They heavily influenced music videos and how they are made. (My 14 year old daughter wanted to share with me a video by her favorite band, Escape the Fate. Good band, btw. It was a total ripoff of Hot for Teacher. Video was made in like 2008).
                    4. Eddie Van Halen is in the top 3 most significant rock guitarists of all time.
                    5. The infiltration of keyboards on heavy airplay songs on their last album changed how keyboards were used in a "rock" band.
                    6. David Lee Roth took the role of "front man" to a before unimagined place.

Music from the 6 pack still sounds fresh... 30 years later. That's why teenagers/young adults come up to me when I'm wearing my VHI logo t-shirt in public and give me the thumbs up. Think that would happen with an REM or Clash t-shirt? (Sorry if I offended any REM or Clash fans on this board. But... c'mon... those dudes put iced tea in Jack Daniels bottles!)
                    Last edited by riggodrill44; 06-12-2011, 02:17 PM.

Comment

• SunisinuS
                      Crazy Ass Mofo
                      • May 2010

Rolling Stone only likes The Rolling Stones and the rotating shit punk band that is the FOTM. No surprises here, move along...nothing to see here.
                      Can't Control your Future. Can't Control your Friends. The women start to hike their skirts up. I didn't have a clue. That is when I kinda learned how to smile a lot. One Two Three Fouir fun ter thehr fuur.

Comment

• FORD
                        ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Nothing wrong with the Rolling Stones or punk bands. Or the Rolling Stones trying to be a punk band, for that matter.....

Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• SunisinuS
                          Crazy Ass Mofo
                          • May 2010

Originally posted by FORD
                          Nothing wrong with the Rolling Stones or punk bands. Or the Rolling Stones trying to be a punk band, for that matter.....

I knew you would say that. I agree. But you love the rolling stones more than I could ever. I love "Ain't talking about love" as it sticks it in the stones face. Let any one of their many axe-slingers cover a single Van Halen Riff...and you will see Keith...sucking in his own dentures.

I am sorry I am a Rocker: Not a punk.
                          Last edited by SunisinuS; 06-12-2011, 05:27 PM. Reason: Clumsy Fungle Fingers was defined By Keith.
                          Can't Control your Future. Can't Control your Friends. The women start to hike their skirts up. I didn't have a clue. That is when I kinda learned how to smile a lot. One Two Three Fouir fun ter thehr fuur.

Comment

• BITEYOASS
                            ROTH ARMY ELITE
                            • Jan 2004

Let me guess, RS ranked Bob Dylan as it's No. 1 band. The music critics who work for that rag would give an album with nothing but Bob Dylan's fart noises five stars if they could.

Comment

• GreenBayLA
                              Sniper
                              • Jan 2006

Yes but I remember Eddie scoring quite high on the Rolling Stone top 100 greatest guitar players; 70th! Getting beat out by real innovators like #16 Johnny Ramone of the Ramones or #23 Warren Haynes who is no doubt a good player but can the average fan name one song or hum one riff he wrote? No. Rolling Stone is like SNL, living off their past.
                              "Nothing gets a yak over a suspension bridge faster than 'Back in the Saddle Again' by Aerosmith" ~ DLR

Comment

Working...