X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Seshmeister
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Originally posted by chefcraig
    Who cares? This "list" was created 7 years ago and is only being rehashed because it has been a slow week for music news. The same arguments get made every time Rolling Stone fobs one of these page-filling wastes of time on the public, so by now they should be greeted with a yawn of indifference. Ignore the damned thing, it wasn't worth getting worked up over the last time.
    To be honest 7 years ago I don't think they deserved to be on the list.

Eddie lying on the stage drunk out his mind with Hagar singing Up for Breakfast to empty arenas?

I wouldn't have voted for them.

Comment

• sadaist
      TOASTMASTER GENERAL
      • Jul 2004

Originally posted by Seshmeister

Eddie lying on the stage drunk out his mind with Hagar singing Up for Breakfast to empty arenas?

That was indeed a heartbreaking tour to watch. But you have to base it on their full career span. Without Appetite do you think GnR would stand a chance on any list anywhere? Look at all the fucking bullshit they have pulled since one great album made Axls ego larger than Godzilla...and the paying fans were just citizens of Tokyo. RAWR!
      “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Comment

• chefcraig
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • Apr 2004

To a certain percent, I'd agree, yet this would discount the Roth years. The Beatles were number one on the list, yet broke up in 1970. Say the same for Led Zeppelin (#14), a band that stopped working two decades before. Hell, Elvis, Hendrix, Ray Charles, Bob Marley and Buddy Holly made the top 15, despite being somewhat dead at the time. This would imply VH was being punished for outliving their legacy. In other words, being deceased and legendary trumps being alive and irrelevant.
        Last edited by chefcraig; 06-13-2011, 07:40 AM.

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
        ― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• Seshmeister
          ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

They took a flame thrower to their legacy for 20 years.

How many bands on the list made it embarrassing to say you liked them or made you have to always qualify it?

'I like early Van Halen'.

It's tiresome particularly when they were reaching such new lows of shit 7 years ago

How many people say 'I like Gary Glitter but only the early years'?

Comment

• chefcraig
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • Apr 2004

The thing is, in the preamble to the list, RS mentions who created it. It's quite revealing.

In 2004 — 50 years after Elvis Presley walked into Sun Studios and cut "That's All Right" — Rolling Stone celebrated rock & roll's first half-century in grand style, assembling a panel of 55 top musicians, writers and industry executives (everyone from Keith Richards to ?uestlove of the Roots) and asking them to pick the most influential artists of the rock & roll era. The resulting list of 100 artists, published in two issues of Rolling Stone in 2004 and 2005, and updated in 2011, is a broad survey of rock history, spanning Sixties heroes (the Beatles) and modern insurgents (Eminem), and touching on early pioneers (Chuck Berry) and the bluesmen who made it all possible (Howlin' Wolf).

The essays on these top 100 artists are by their peers: singers, producers and musicians. In these fan testimonials, indie rockers pay tribute to world-beating rappers (Vampire Weekend's Ezra Koenig on Jay-Z), young pop stars honor stylistic godmothers (Britney Spears on Madonna) and Billy Joel admits that Elton John "kicks my ass on piano." Rock & roll is now a music with a rich past. But at its best, it is still the sound of forward motion. As you read this book, remember: This is what we have to live up to.

So the list was compiled not by fans exactly, but by people who work within the industry itself. Considering the continuous back-biting, petty jealousies, outright corruption and substance abuse inhabiting this world, is it any surprise how things turned out? By and large it seems to be built entirely on envy or ignorance, and at times displays an overwhelming influence of both at the same time.

Van Halen fans should not be all that upset for being left out, as Queen, Creedence, Fleetwood Mac, B.B. King, Pink Floyd, Waylon Jennings, Willie Nelson, Tom Waits...fuck, even Frank Sinatra for that matter, all failed to make the cut as well. And how in hell is the entire spectrum of jazz covered by only including Miles Davis and Louis Jordan? Seriously, Louis Jordan?

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
            ― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• Matt White
              • Jun 2004

Rolling Stone is run by Old Hippies & young Emo fans................

They've NEVER been the experts on "Rock 'n' Roll".......all "Show" & no "Go"..............

It's ENTERTAINMENT TONIGHT....minus the old bearded movie critic

Comment

• chefcraig
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • Apr 2004

They took a flame thrower to their legacy for 20 years.

How many bands on the list made it embarrassing to say you liked them or made you have to always qualify it?

'I like early Van Halen'.

It's tiresome particularly when they were reaching such new lows of shit 7 years ago

How many people say 'I like Gary Glitter but only the early years'?
                More and more, this really points out what a disservice it was not changing the band's name when Hagar joined up. OK, I can see Eddie's "Fuck you, it's my name..." point, but it also brings into relief some indignant petulance on his part, reasoning that he was entirely responsible for the group's success. VH may or may have not have gotten by with his whiz-bang guitar playing alone, but David Lee Roth's presence surely put them over the top. And more truthfully, people most likely wouldn't have ever heard of Roth without Eddie Van Halen, as neither's success was mutually exclusive.

Renaming the band would have eliminated the absurd notion that half the group's catalog would be dismissed depending upon who just happened to be holding the microphone at a particular time. And the attempt at bringing in Gary Cherone completely put the final nail in the coffin, proving Ed simply wasn't up to the challenge of carrying things. So a decade goes by and what happens? Yup, yet another identity crisis, this time in the mind-numbingly goofy form of of nicknaming the "band" VHIV.

Christ, I hope these guys come up with a decent new album. By doing so, it will not quite dispel the certifiably absurd goings on of the past twenty years, but it would help. At this point, you have to wonder if things could possibly get any worse, legacy-wise.

― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• binnie
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • May 2006

That's the sa truth of it, Chef.

I think management has a lot to do with it - look at Motley Crue before 'The Dirt': the word's 'washed up' spring to mind. A little bit of heritage and BANG they're cool again. For CVH, it would be a case of opening the vaults an letting the world remember how good they were.
                  The Power Of The Riff Compels Me

Comment

• rocking ron
                    Head Fluffer
                    • Sep 2010

I like the Rolling Stones a lot, strange enough from begin 80's till now!!! Most "Stones" fans like the older stuff.

By the way, did you people know that they've NEVER played the (hit) single EMOTIONAL RESQUE from same named album LIVE during any concert !!!!!

I have some boots ( cd/dvd ) of this great band and also discussed this issue with some fans but nobody knows for sure.....!!!!

And about those music lists, yes indeed, let's make our own top 10 of favourite bands , I mean a list without VH & DLR but our other fave's, must be interesting to see of anyone what they like!!!

I'm gonne make my top 10 right now and will post this later!!!:

Comment

• FORD
                      ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

I'd guess that the reason they never played "Emotional Rescue" live, is that Mick hates to use the falsetto voice on stage. Other songs with that style of singing, like "Fool to Cry" or "Worried About You" have been played live, but not very often.

And of course Mick's funniest falsetto never made it to the record at all........

Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• rocking ron
                        Head Fluffer
                        • Sep 2010

Funny song indeed !!

And the video-clip, looks like JustLikeParadise footage and Mr Roth is climbing that mountain ( same outfit !!! )

I like also Mick's solo stuff!!!!! I,ve seen them 5 times playing live and they'll still rocks !!!

Comment

• Seshmeister
                          ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Originally posted by binnie
                          That's the sa truth of it, Chef.

I think management has a lot to do with it
                          You only have to look at wonderful campaign of the publicity genius Ed married - embracing the modern tools of building a grass roots buzz on multiple internet social media platforms towards their dates in Australia.

Well at least she has done astrological charts of all the band members...

Comment

• chefcraig
                            DIAMOND STATUS
                            • Apr 2004

Well at least she has done astrological charts of all the band members...
                            ""If I've told them once, I've told them a thousand times...Van Halen first and puppet show last!"

― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• Hardrock69
                              DIAMOND STATUS
                              • Feb 2005

That's about the way it goes. What do you wanna bet that if they sign any kind of distribution deal with one of the major labels, there will be huge fights over publicity and marketing....in that the major labels will want to publicize the shit out of it, but the sistaz will shoot that notion down in flames....

Comment

• Golden AWe
                                DIAMOND STATUS
                                • Jan 2004

I'm guessing Sonny and Cher, The Jackson 5 and Coldplay along with Lady Gaga's turd implants made the list.
                                Originally posted by Cato
                                Golden, why are you FAT?
                                Originally posted by lesfunk
                                Much like yourself as the Jim Morrison of Nazi bunker flies
                                http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u...TheDMCross.jpg

Comment

Working...