X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jackassrock
    Head Fluffer
    • Sep 2004

Ok, back on topic.

Last year I went amp shopping. I was looking for a rig for my bar band, so I was in the 50 watts and under market. I tried many different brands and models; Egnater, Fender, Peavey, Vox, H&K, Rivera, Bugera, Marshall, and Blackstar to name a few. To be honest, the Marshall Haze was pretty weak in the sound department. The GC I was in that day had the Haze set up right next to the Bugera V22 and the Bugera sounded a whole lot better to my ears, and the dude that was with me too (but he's a bass player, so...). I was really blown away by the fact that a company with a spotty reputation at best was producing better sounding stuff than the mighty Marshall, and at half the price. The Bugera was actually going to be my choice (I was as surprised as you), until I tried a Blackstar HT40.

For $650 I ended up with a brand new 40 watt 1x12 combo with two very USABLE channels (I'm looking at you Fender and Marshall), and a good tonal palate with fairly simple controls. I've had it for about a year now and I'm still in love with it. Soon I'm gonna retube with some good quality el34's and I'll probably change out the pre tubes as well. I haven't tried it yet, but am probably gonna swap out the 70/80 for an old Celestion G1275 that I have lying around and I'll report on that too. Oh, and it sounds absolutely effing killer through my 4x12 with greenbacks.

I also have a Marshall 6101 (the blue 30th anniversary model) that has become my at home practice amp. It can sound really good, but with three channels that each has it's own eq settings it's just a little too much to deal with on the fly with a cover band, and Marshall cleans are just not that good IMO. Plus I've had major issues with this amps reliability. This was a very expensive impulse buy several years back that I regret, and I'm waiting for the economy to bounce back so I can sell it for somewhere even close to what I paid for it.

Now, that being said, I will never, ever give up my JCM800 when it comes to my original band. Nothing compares. Unfortunately, it's a one trick pony, and it's way too loud for bar gigs, but that trick is just so goddamned sweet !
    It's a shame that families should be torn apart by something as simple as....wild dogs

Comment

• Matt White
      • Jun 2004

Originally posted by jhale667
      And some of us have a bag of them on hand at all times anyway...
      Yeah...those of us WITH hair!

HA!!!

Comment

• ashstralia
        ROTH ARMY ELITE
        • Feb 2004

Originally posted by Seshmeister
        Oooof!

Well that's you told!
        nah, i still love my jsx... incidentally, i used a valvestate half stack for years with no probs at all. the tone comes from your hands first after all.

Comment

• Coyote
          ROTH ARMY SUPREME
          • Jan 2004

Also has anyone tried the new Marshall MG things? Are they like the Valvestates or are they any good?
          I always thought MG's were Valvestates re-named...
          Why settle for something you have, if it's not as good as something you're out to get?

It's like putting up a YouTube of Bach and playing Chopstix on your Bontempi...

Comment

• Nitro Express
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • Aug 2004

Having to use Peavey Bandits for years in rehearsal studios in the late 80s early 90s has left me with a, no doubt now irrational, hatred of anything with Peavey written on it.
            They were built like a brick shit house though. I never heard of one breaking. I will say one thing about Peavey gear, it doesn't break. A lot of their new stuff is pretty damn good for the money you are paying. The one thing you do have to do with Peavey amps is play with the knobs. A little tweak especially in the EQ will totally change the sound. A little tweak can take you from shit to brilliant and back to shit again. Marshalls are less touchy.
            No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• ashstralia
              ROTH ARMY ELITE
              • Feb 2004

Originally posted by Coyote
              I always thought MG's were Valvestates re-named...
              the original valvestate amps are really good. quality joinery good speakers and stuff.

Comment

• jackassrock
                Head Fluffer
                • Sep 2004

Originally posted by ashstralia
                the original valvestate amps are really good. quality joinery good speakers and stuff.
                Yet still lacking in dynamic, like any solid state amp.

This dynamic effect went completely unnoticed by me for over 20 years of playing loud aggressive rock. It wasn't until just a few years ago that I truly got it. It's when you're trying to control the dynamic of your playing that it really becomes evident. With a good tube amp the sound just responds differently than getting loud or quiet, there's a different sound for every way you go at the strings. It actually cleans up a bit if you pick lightly, and get's louder and punchier as you add more bite to your attack. Dynamic folks, it's real !

Same goes for pickups. I've been touting the EMG 81 for so long that I almost feel like an endorsee (my wallet says different), and I wouldn't go any other way for the original band that is super amped up rock. It just sounds massive, but I tried my main LP for a different gig (much quieter gig) last week and it just didn't work for that application. I put it down for a LP special with some old Lawrences in it. It worked much better for what I was doing. Not nearly as compressed or maybe even "choked" sounding when I was trying to be subtle.

Anyhow, I've never met a SS amp that gave the same response as a decent tube amp. I mean, if you took the best of the best SS and paired it up with the worst of the tubies you might have a debate, but I'll put my Blackstar up against any transistor amp any day of the week and it just won't be a contest.
                Last edited by jackassrock; 06-28-2011, 09:42 AM.
                It's a shame that families should be torn apart by something as simple as....wild dogs

Comment

• Coyote
                  ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                  • Jan 2004

I've had good experiences with Marshalls AVT series... tube preamp, solidstate output.
                  Why settle for something you have, if it's not as good as something you're out to get?

It's like putting up a YouTube of Bach and playing Chopstix on your Bontempi...

Comment

• Reverberator
                    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                    • Aug 2004

I have had my 1997 marshall vs 100 valvestate for a few years and must admit it's not bad at all .... but it's been rendered virtually redundant now because of the Hiwatt.

Originally posted by Mr Grimsdale
                    the chazzers are so lucky
                    so fortunate to be served by the dump messiah
                    http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u...TheDMCross.jpg

Comment

• jhale667
                      DIAMOND STATUS
                      • Aug 2004

I'm a tube snob, I admit it...the only thing I'll use digital for is recording, as there are some usable sounds in that realm... but live I don't want to go near a solid-state amp. Totally agree with Jackassrock's dynamics assessment too...they don't REACT the same as a tube amp, no matter how good SS gets, it still can't cop that aspect of tone.

Last edited by jhale667; 06-28-2011, 02:58 PM.
                      Originally posted by conmee
                      If anyone even thinks about deleting the Muff Thread they are banned.... no questions asked.

That is all.

Icon.
                      Originally posted by GO-SPURS-GO
                      I've seen prominent hypocrite liberal on this site Jhale667

Originally posted by Isaac R.
                      Then it's really true??:eek:

The Muff Thread is really just GONE ???

OMFG...who in their right mind...???
                      Originally posted by eddie78
                      I was wrong about you, brother. You're good.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                        DIAMOND STATUS
                        • Aug 2004

I've heard some tube amps that have sounded awful and I have heard some solid state amps that sound great. Some of the solid state amps today are so good I don't think most people could tell the difference sound wise.

The problem with solid state for me is the feel and response. You don't have the sponginess of a tube amp. The whole system you are playing through changes with solid state. They have done a nice job of making them sound rounder and fuller but they just don't react with the strings and speakers like a tube job does.

Comment

• ashstralia
                          ROTH ARMY ELITE
                          • Feb 2004

also agree with jackassrock. the pickup thing is an important part of the equation too...realizing that different musical styles naturally call for different harmonic responses/attack/eq etc. for the highly compressed very gainy shreddy sound of the 80's 90's i found the vs series hard to beat. (sheer value for money, too!) you wouldn't take one to a blues jam though.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                            DIAMOND STATUS
                            • Aug 2004

Originally posted by ashstralia
                            also agree with jackassrock. the pickup thing is an important part of the equation too...realizing that different musical styles naturally call for different harmonic responses/attack/eq etc. for the highly compressed very gainy shreddy sound of the 80's 90's i found the vs series hard to beat. (sheer value for money, too!) you wouldn't take one to a blues jam though.
                            Very much so. On my bass I have a low impedance pickup wired through a variable switching transformer. I can eliminate a whole bunch of preamp settings and effects just on how I have my pickup set. A lot of people think it has active electronics but it's just a good pickup where the impedance can be changed. It goes from real mellow to a real cool overdriven sound.

Comment

• ashstralia
                              ROTH ARMY ELITE
                              • Feb 2004

interesting nitro. there's a whole other thread in that, which i'm sure already exists, but it's nice not having gar fuck 'em all up now. i've got emg's in my j bass; two active singles and a massive lump of wood sounds god-like. but that's bass, where cleanish loud and low is the order of the day.

anyway, back on topic......... yeah!!!!! blackstar's ROCK!!!!!
                              blackstar dudes, pm me

Comment

Working...