Open 8am-5pm M-F
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    01-08-2015 @ 01:06 PM
    Status
    Thanks

JOURNEY Passing On Performing 'Escape' For 30th Anniversary

I saw them in Vegas a few years ago after this new singer started. He is really good. I would for sure go see them again.
    y'know.

According to The Pulse Of Radio, JOURNEY co-founder and guitarist Neal Schon says that the band is too busy touring behind new music to celebrate the 30th anniversary of their mega-platinum "Escape" album. The Pulse Of Radio asked Schon point blank if, with such a momentous anniversary happening this summer, he even considered touring behind "Escape"'s 30th birthday. "No," he said. "I've seen what's been going on at some concerts with some bands and they're playing the whole record — I mean surely, we could do that at some point, but that's not happening this year or next year, 'cause we're here to support our new record. And, y'know, play bits and pieces from 'Escape', and all the other records that, y'know, that we're playing."

JOURNEY's latest album, "Eclipse", which debuted at Number 13 on the Billboard 200 is being sold exclusively through Wal-Mart outlets. The collection features 12 new tracks written by Schon, 30-year veteran keyboardist Jonathan Cain — and the band's lead vocalist, Arnel Pineda.

To follow the release of "Eclipse", JOURNEY will launch the "Eclipse Tour" with FOREIGNER, and special guest NIGHT RANGER, beginning July 21 at Rio Tinto Stadium in Salt Lake City, Utah. Fans can expect to hear new songs from "Eclipse" as well as classics such as "Don't Stop Believin'", "Any Way You Want It", "Faithfully", "Lights", "Separate Ways", "Wheel In The Sky", and many more.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

FUTUE TE IPSUM
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    10-31-2013 @ 07:41 PM
    Status
    Thanks

I'm not sure about that anyway.

Often with these entire album performances these bands have been performing the bulk of them for years (Rush "Moving Pictures", The Cult "Love", Deep Purple "Machine Head", Jethro Tull "Aqualung", to name but a few).

I would love a band to come out & play an obscure album from start to finish, like Judas Priest doing all of "Stained Class" or Ozzy's "Diary of a madman".

It'll never happen, though.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Use my hand, I won't look
    ____Van Fuckin' Halen____
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    10-27-2020 @ 08:17 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,707 Times in 1,035 Posts

I saw them a few years ago with the new singer guy and it's amazing how much he sounds like Perry... You just can't believe it even when seeing it.

Open 8am-5pm M-F
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    01-08-2015 @ 01:06 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by VAiN View Post
    I saw them a few years ago with the new singer guy and it's amazing how much he sounds like Perry... You just can't believe it even when seeing it.
    Yup. You know for Journey , Perry was such a signature sound for them. It's not like you could throw say DLR in the mix and things be the same. This new guy is so close it's not even noticable to me. I am glad they found him.

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:36 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,281 Times in 4,711 Posts

Fuck Escape.

The only Journey show I'm interested in is if they play ONLY the material before Escape, and do so with Steve Perry on vocals, Gregg Rolie on Keyboards & vocals, and Steve Smith on drums.

I'd pay to see that show. Not the tribute band singer, or that band destroying pussy Cain.

6. Thanked FORD for this KICKASS post:

Matt White (07-13-2011)

The Menace Is Loose Again
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    04-08-2015 @ 12:58 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,934 Times in 1,875 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FORD View Post
    Fuck Escape.

The only Journey show I'm interested in is if they play ONLY the material before Escape, and do so with Steve Perry on vocals, Gregg Rolie on Keyboards & vocals, and Steve Smith on drums.

I'd pay to see that show. Not the tribute band singer, or that band destroying pussy Cain.

I agree about Steve Perry. I don't care how good the new kid is, to me it's just not Journey without Steve. I don't care as much about the other guys as you do, just Steve & Neil mainly.

Rock God
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-03-2024 @ 04:13 AM
    A Small Dive in a trashy neighborhood somewhere on Fornax 9
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,616 Times in 1,647 Posts

I saw them on 2 or 3 tours, beginning summer of 1979 (when I almost opened for them - long story).

Was a good band, despite the fact they were a bit too "lite" for my taste. Still worth seeing though.

Knows what that'll ge'her
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    07-15-2018 @ 10:55 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Badguy View Post
    I'm not sure about that anyway.

Often with these entire album performances these bands have been performing the bulk of them for years (Rush "Moving Pictures", The Cult "Love", Deep Purple "Machine Head", Jethro Tull "Aqualung", to name but a few).

I would love a band to come out & play an obscure album from start to finish, like Judas Priest doing all of "Stained Class" or Ozzy's "Diary of a madman".

It'll never happen, though.
    I think Steely Dan did this a couple of years back. They would choose one album and play the whole thing. You didn't know which album you'd get until you got to the show. One night Aja, next night Goucho, etc.

Of course you'd have to be a SD fan to care about this, and I'm not a big enough fan to care. I have some albums but I wouldn't pay to go to a show.

10. Thanked Mr. Vengeance for this KICKASS post:

Mr Badguy (07-10-2011)

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 02:53 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,991 Times in 3,230 Posts

Blog Entries

Randy Jackson cracks me up in this. It must have been a Vegas gig they were playing.
    Last edited by Nitro Express; 07-10-2011 at 07:12 PM.

Fear the Elf
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    08-29-2021 @ 06:13 PM
    Status
    Thanks

I'd go to see Journey with the new guy.

Fuck if I care. As long as they're not ruining the band like Hagar did, I'll go see another lead singer in place if they're still doing the classics.

Downtown Akron actually does a cool thing with all the really good tribute bands and has a concert for them downtown. Some of them are damn good versions of the orignals.

"EVERYBODY UP!!!"™
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-20-2021 @ 05:28 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,978 Times in 1,378 Posts

Saw the Escape tour in '81. Most of the material played that night was from their back catalog.
    I think Arnel is a great singer for the band. I wouldn't exactly call him a Perry clone. The main thing they have in common is the tenor voice, which is
    the only voice that will work for Journey and it simply isn't because of Perry either. Robert Fleishman (original singer) had a tenor voice as well.
    Never thought much of Steve Augeri.
    As for Steve Perry? His voice is done, finished. He simply can't do it anymore, that's why he's turned down offer's from the band in the past (except in '95)...

"EVERYBODY UP!!!"™
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-20-2021 @ 05:28 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,978 Times in 1,378 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nitro Express View Post
    After Perry seized control of the band and fired Ross Valery (bass) & Steve Smith (drums) a close friend of mine, a co-founder/drummer for one of Canada's
    biggest international band's auditioned for Journey back in '85. They flew him out, and he stayed with the band for a week going through the set. He's a far better than the guy in this video.
    Said Schon was a complete arsehole. (Probably having to watch Perry pull rank on his own band probably explains this...) He (my buddy) knew Steve Perry from his pre-Journey days from when their bands would do the club circuit
    around New york state. They apparently got along like a house on fire. Perry was going to bat for my buddy trying to get him the gig but I guess he got outvoted....

Thread Information