Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: WTF Is Up With The Damn Price Of Gas??

Open 8am-5pm M-F
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    01-08-2015 @ 01:06 PM
    Status
    Thanks

WTF Is Up With The Damn Price Of Gas??

OK. Obama does what he should have done 6 months ago and releases some of the strategic oil reserve and what does gas do?

IT FUCKING GOES UP!
    What gives? Pisses me off.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:36 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,281 Times in 4,711 Posts

Glad you asked. As usual, it's the KKKoch Brothers, Pig Oil & Wall $treet felons to blame......

JP Morgan, Koch, Other Oil Traders May Buy Discounted Strategic Petroleum Reserve Oil And Simply Store It

By Lee Fang on Jul 5, 2011 at 3:37 pm

To stem supply disruptions from Libya and to disrupt the grip of nonconsumer oil speculators, the U.S. Department of Energy announced the sale of 30 million barrels of crude as part of the International Energy Agency’s effort to release 60 million barrels into the global oil market. The sale of oil from the Strategic Petroleum Reserve, as well as the suggestion from the Obama administration that more sales could be announced in the future, has already lowered the price of crude. As the Baker Institute’s Amy Myers Jaffe has noted, the release sends a “signal that should keep rampant speculation at bay.”

However, as Bloomberg reported last week, “some of the oil being released from the U.S. Strategic Petroleum Reserve to bring down prices may be held by traders for later sale rather than sent directly to refiners for processing into gasoline or other fuels.” Some of the purchasers have claimed that they will immediately refine the SPR crude. But many banks and large oil speculators looking to purchase the oil may intend to simply hoard it:

Representatives of trading companies including JPMorgan Chase & Co., Morgan Stanley (MS), Hess Trading Company and Koch Supply & Trading LP joined Valero Energy Corp. (VLO) and Statoil ASA in questioning Energy Department officials June 28 about shipping options and requests for waivers of the Jones Act.

The Jones Act “restricts the shipment of goods between U.S. ports to American-flagged vessels.” Because most oil tankers are foreign-flagged ships, the traders looking to store in the oil offshore must request Jones Act waivers.

Argus Media reports that Koch Industries has already shown interest in leasing super tankers for storage of crude in the Gulf of Mexico. The Economist points out that the small rebound in oil prices have already provided an incentive for oil traders to store, rather than refine, the oil: “If a trader was able to purchase West Texas Intermediate—the oil held in America’s Strategic Petroleum Reserve (SPR)—at the spot price on June 24th, they would already be sitting on a tidy profit.”

In December 2008, when oil prices crashed from a record high to $33 a barrel, speculators with the capability to store massive quantities of crude oil bought in bulk and stored the oil for later sale. As Fortune magazine reported, the rush to store oil instead of refining it pushed prices for consumers back up. Now, the contango — a market situation when the spot price is much lower than the future price of oil — is less significant than back in 2008.

Nevertheless, its not clear what oil traders will do. In Europe and Japan, much of the oil released as part of the IEA effort was sent directly to industry. In the U.S., the release was entirely crude with less strings attached. “Our inventories are in good shape and our markets are well supplied here in the United States,” Rayola Dougher, an economic adviser with the American Petroleum Institute, the largest oil lobbying group, told Reuters. “It may be that our refiners are buying it to store up.”
    http://thinkprogress.org/green/2011/...store-spr-oil/
    Fucking pieces of treasonous shit.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Open 8am-5pm M-F
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

No shit.

Of course with the market taking a dump today they may stand to lose their ass also.

Then you have to wonder why it takes weeks for the price to drop 10 cents but only hours for it to rise 15. Fuckin makes me so mad I can't stand it!

4. 2 users say thank you to Jagermeister for this KICKASS post:

lesfunk (07-08-2011),Mushroom (07-08-2011)

Open 8am-5pm M-F
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Stocks dive after dismal June jobs report
    Stock indexes fell sharply Friday, erasing most of the week's gains, after a dismal report on the job market stifled hopes for a quick economic rebound.

U.S. employers created only 18,000 net jobs in June, the fewest in nine months and a fraction of what many economists expected. Private companies added jobs at the slowest pace in more than a year. The unemployment rate edged up to 9.2 percent, its highest level this year.

A broader measure of weakness in the labor market was even worse. Among Americans who want to work, 16.2 percent are either unemployed or unable to find full-time jobs. That was up from 15.8 percent in May.

The Standard & Poor's 500 index dropped 15 points in afternoon trading, or 1.1 percent, to 1,338. That eliminated the index's gains from Thursday and left it down for the week.

The Dow Jones industrial average fell 108, or 0.8 percent, to 12,611. Prior to Friday the Dow had only one down day over the past eight. The Nasdaq composite index fell 31, or 1.1 percent, to 2,842. That index is on track for its first daily loss in two weeks.

Stocks fell broadly. All 10 industry groups in the S&P 500 index fell. Job-hunting service Monster Worldwide Inc. plunged 5 percent, one of the worst declines of any stock in the index.

Manufacturers had the worst declines in the Dow average. Heavy-equipment maker Caterpillar Corp., industrial conglomerate General Electric Co. and networking equipment maker Cisco Systems Inc. each lost 2 percent. So did Bank of America Corp.

Hiring slumped in May due partly to high fuel prices and disruptions of industrial supplies because of the earthquake and tsunami disasters in Japan. Those problems now appear to be more persistent than many analysts had expected.

"There's just a lot more evidence than before that we're in an extended weak patch," said Brian Gendreau, market strategist for Cetera Financial Group. He said private economists will likely reduce their projections for overall economic growth this year.

Traders rushed to the relative safety of government bonds. The yield on the 10-year Treasury note fell to 3.02 percent from 3.19 percent just before the jobs report came out. Bond yields fall when demand for them increases.

Oil prices fell 3 percent. The lack of hiring suggests that demand for fuel will increase less than traders had expected. Lower fuel prices could eventually help the economy by leaving consumers with more money to spend on things other than gas.Weak economic data this spring pushed stocks near their lowest levels of the year two weeks ago. Markets recovered last week, giving the Dow its best week in two years, on signals that the economy was rebounding. Stock indexes closed near their 2011 highs on Thursday.

It now appears that those peaks, reached on April 29, will stand for the time being.

Thursday's gains were driven by a report from payroll processor ADP that private companies added 157,000 jobs in June. That raised investors' expectations that the broader Labor Department report, which has a greater influence on markets, would also indicate a pickup in hiring. The ADP report is sometimes, but not always, a reliable indicator of how the Labor Department's report will turn out.

"The market was just coming to the conclusion that this weak patch was coming to an end," Gendreau said. Noting that the government revised downward its jobs numbers for April and May, Gendreau said the report might signal a longer-term negative trend.

Despite the weak job market, analysts still expect earnings at big U.S. companies to be strong. Corporate America is benefiting from strong export growth as the weak dollar makes American goods cheaper, and therefore more competitive, in overseas markets. Aluminum maker Alcoa Inc., one of the 30 companies in the Dow average, will be the first major corporation to report second-quarter financial results on Monday.

With the economic picture so bleak, traders might not react that much even if U.S. companies report higher earnings, Gendreau said.

"This will be one quarter in which earnings don't really drive the market," he said. "The corporate sector is strong, but of course it looked strong at the peak in 2007, as well."

Rupert Murdoch's media conglomerate News Corp. fell 4 percent as a phone-hacking scandal at its News of the World tabloid deepened. A former editor of the paper who later served as spokesman for British Prime Minister David Cameron was arrested Friday.

News Corp. shuttered the 168-year old paper on Thursday in hopes of saving its deal to take over the lucrative British satellite TV company British Sky Broadcasting. Government approval of that deal will now be delayed because of the crisis, which has shocked Britain.

The Menace Is Loose Again
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    04-08-2015 @ 12:58 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,934 Times in 1,875 Posts

I want to poiint out something really shady I have been noticing at 3 different gas stations...all different chains. So this may be common practice everywhere.

You all know when you pump your gas there are typically 3 buttons. 87 89 91 for the octane you wish to use. Well I have noticed that they flip the buttons every few months. Now it is in opposite order 91 89 87

So if you are just so used to hitting the far left button for your cheapo regular gas, and suddenly they flip the buttons on you....you may not notice & just hit that far left button and pay the extra for 91 octane.

Sorry...I feel like I am not explaining this well. But just be aware of the number & price on the button you are choosing for your fill-ups. Humans are creatures of habit and I wouldn't doubt that this is common practice everywhere.

Open 8am-5pm M-F
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sadaist View Post
    I want to poiint out something really shady I have been noticing at 3 different gas stations...all different chains. So this may be common practice everywhere.

You all know when you pump your gas there are typically 3 buttons. 87 89 91 for the octane you wish to use. Well I have noticed that they flip the buttons every few months. Now it is in opposite order 91 89 87

So if you are just so used to hitting the far left button for your cheapo regular gas, and suddenly they flip the buttons on you....you may not notice & just hit that far left button and pay the extra for 91 octane.

Sorry...I feel like I am not explaining this well. But just be aware of the number & price on the button you are choosing for your fill-ups. Humans are creatures of habit and I wouldn't doubt that this is common practice everywhere.
    I don't think I have ever seen them flip the buttons. That's fucked up lol.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 02:53 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,991 Times in 3,230 Posts

Blog Entries
    One thing most people aren't aware of is it's the same gasoline in all three gradess. How they boost the octane is with additives which include ethanol. Most cars will do just fine on the lower octane. Unless you have a higher compression engine or are pulling a high elevation grade just run with the lower octane and save your money. I live at 6300 feet above sea level and do just fine on 83 octane unless I'm going over an 8,000 foot pass where my engine starts to ping then I have to go to a higher octane number to stop that.

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Haven't seen anything like that yet here, but there are a couple of gas pumps around here (forget exactly which stations) which will "default" to the most expensive gas if you don't hit a button in time.

I'll use the high octane on a road trip, because I know for a fact my engine performs better on it. But that's highway driving. Stuck in town, never going over 35 miles an hour, there's no point in wasting more money than I already have to because of the criminals.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    High octane works well in one of these too. I wouldn't mind putting those criminals responsible for the high gas prices on the receiving end of one.

Professional Smartass
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    04-05-2021 @ 07:55 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,578 Times in 878 Posts

The Wall Street oil speculators are a big part of the problem.

12. Thanked Guitar Shark for this KICKASS post:

LoungeMachine (02-24-2012)

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Hell yeah they are. We need to start treating economic treason as seriously as any other form of treason. And since corporations want to call themselves "persons", then like any other "person" they should be subject to the death penalty for treason.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by FORD View Post
    Hell yeah they are. We need to start treating economic treason as seriously as any other form of treason. And since corporations want to call themselves "persons", then like any other "person" they should be subject to the death penalty for treason.
    So who do we kill? The CEO? The board of directors for hiring the fuck? All of the stockholders? Or how about pulling the corporate charter like they used to do and put the ass raping monster out of business.

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Nitro Express View Post
    So who do we kill? The CEO? The board of directors for hiring the fuck? All of the stockholders? Or how about pulling the corporate charter like they used to do and put the ass raping monster out of business.
    Just to clarify, it's the corporate "person" I'm talking about killing. At least at first. If the humans behind the executed corporations form other corporations and commit the same treason, then it becomes obvious that THEY are treasonous. Two strikes and they're out.

TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Haven't seen anything like that yet here, but there are a couple of gas pumps around here (forget exactly which stations) which will "default" to the most expensive gas if you don't hit a button in time.

That's almost as fucked up. Haven't seen that down here, but I usually select pretty quickly. next time I will wait & see what happens.

Gas stations I use

7-11 Inexpensive and I'm usually there anyways for coffee & smokes
    Chevron Just cause it's the closest to the house if I'm running really low I go there as emergency
    76 Only cause they got a kick ass mexican fast food place inside.

Hardly ever use Arco - AM/PM. it's always cheapest, but the lines are ridiculous. Fuck that.

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-28-2024 @ 09:22 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,517 Times in 2,422 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Guitar Shark View Post
    The Wall Street oil speculators are a big part of the problem.
    That in itself is so fucked up as to how the price of gas is determined. Can't have no corruption involved there, no sir....

Professional Smartass
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    04-05-2021 @ 07:55 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,578 Times in 878 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Va Beach VH Fan View Post
    That in itself is so fucked up as to how the price of gas is determined. Can't have no corruption involved there, no sir....
    Yep. Say what you will about Dan Rather, but he had an interesting story on this topic earlier this year.

http://www.hd.net/press_articles/dan...in-fuel-costs/

One of the key parts of the story:

Most economists agree that some speculation brings stability to commodity markets. But in an interview with Dan Rather, hedge fund manager Michael Masters claims that a recent surge in speculation has thrown the oil market out of balance making prices at the pump rise and fall at the whim of Wall Street. “Speculators today have about 70 percent of the open interest in the commodity markets,” explains Masters. “Ten years ago-they controlled roughly 30 percent of the market.”

Congress attempted to reign in speculation with the Dodd-Frank Wall Street Reform and Consumer Protection Act. The landmark financial overhaul has a provision that requires federal regulators to restrict how much money speculators can pour into the oil market. But the financial industry has fought back, spending more than $100 million last year lobbying on Capitol Hill. And many of the new rules have been delayed, including the one that limits speculation.

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Hardly ever use Arco - AM/PM. it's always cheapest, but the lines are ridiculous. Fuck that.
    I used to avoid AM/PM because it seemed like their gas was watered down. Now I avoid them because they're owned by BP. After what they did to the Gulf of Mexico, that's a lifetime boycott. Same with Exxon after the Alaska thing.

Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:35 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Glad you asked. As usual, it's the KKKoch Brothers, Pig Oil & Wall $treet felons to blame......

Fucking pieces of treasonous shit.
    U.S. Department of Energy announced the sale of 30 million barrels of crude as part of the International Energy Agency’s effort to release 60 million barrels into the global oil market.

It's a joke because that amount is a drop in the bucket compared to our daily consumption: 19 million barrels per day

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    I used to avoid AM/PM because it seemed like their gas was watered down. Now I avoid them because they're owned by BP. After what they did to the Gulf of Mexico, that's a lifetime boycott. Same with Exxon after the Alaska thing.
    Maverick stores sell tank bottom gas. You can buy the tailings and tank bottoms for less money and yes it's full of water and crap. They filter it but it's still crap gas. I had a Ford van that would literally run like shit on Maverick gas. The think is everyone pretty much buys the same gas out of the same pipeline depot or refinery. Out gas here comes from Wyoming oil but it first goes to Utah to get refined and then the gas goes up a pipeline to Idaho where the depot is and then it comes by truck back into Wyoming to our gas stations. So the oil goes through two states and comes back home. One oil company may own the well and another may own the pipeline. Another may own the refinery and another may own the other pipeline. Then another company owns the trucks that fill all the other stations.

So the only thing BP is the franchise the station owner bought or it may be a corporate owned station. It's usually not BP fuel you are really buying but it may have BP additives in it which are added at the station. Sometimes I wonder if they even put those in you just have to trust them.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    I find the peak oil debate interesting. Nobody has a straight answer but if you read between the lines I think we are at peak oil now. The US has tried to militarily control the world's oil supplies in the middle east. Saddam Hussain was taken out because he would no longer sell his oil in US Dollars. Quadaffi is now targeted for similar reasons. It's not about terrorist as much as who controls the oil and the world's reserve currency. Why is this intesifying? Also the Saudis have given the same figure out for years on their oil reserves while pumping sea water into their wells. Obviously they are fudging their numbers and sea water is pumped into wells to get the last bit of oil out. Then why does NATO surround Russia and neocons want to attack Iran? Those are oil reserves we don't control. There are some major oil wars and currency wars going on right now.

Last edited by Nitro Express; 07-08-2011 at 06:01 PM.

roth beer pest
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    06-02-2022 @ 11:33 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,377 Times in 1,853 Posts

"am/fm" down here charge you to use a debit card there. fuck them, never use 'em.:fupunk:

Open 8am-5pm M-F
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Chris Kahn, AP Energy Writer, On Monday July 11, 2011, 11:00 am
    NEW YORK (AP) -- The latest readings on Chinese inflation and renewed worries about European debt are pushing oil lower.

Benchmark West Texas Intermediate crude fell $1.88 to $94.32 per barrel Monday on the New York Mercantile Exchange.

Oil declined following a weekend announcement that inflation in China hit a three-year high in June.

It fell further Prices as European officials disagreed over a second bailout package for Greece. Uncertainty about Greece's debt problems raised concerns that the economic crisis could spread to Italy and Spain.

The dollar shot up in morning trading, and that weighed on oil futures. Oil is traded in dollars and tends to fall as the dollar strengthens and makes crude more expensive for investors holding foreign money.

Meanwhile, retail gasoline prices in the U.S. increased to $3.63 per gallon.

a.k.a. Flappo The Grate
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    10-17-2023 @ 11:02 AM
    Status
    Thanks

What's up with the price of gas? One word:

GREED

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    12-27-2016 @ 08:33 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,785 Times in 1,252 Posts

Over the past 3-4 years, I have been walking a lot, lot more.

It's surprisingly refreshing walking 4 miles to work once you get used to it.....

27. Thanked binnie for this KICKASS post:

SunisinuS (07-11-2011)

Atomic Jerk
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    09-12-2020 @ 06:51 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Yep, I thought of that too and yep they do it in Florida at many stations.

Dick The Bruiser
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    02-05-2021 @ 09:51 PM
    Status
    Thanks

It’s pretty simple really. When Ubama released gasoline from the SPR he was too sub-moronic to know that this is a price control. You elected a shit stain that doesn’t understand when you flush a toilet that the water goes “somewhere”.

When this asshole tried his maneuver it forces the market price or a large percentage of transactions to take place at that price. This doesn’t work with simple supply and demand in a free market. It works great for a socialist nation but you can’t expect a retarded president to know this. The transaction price is either too high or too low.

Look around you for a second, the people here are REALLY smart people and will get this. Everything around you at this time; where you work; the club you go to for an evening out, or your home including what’s in the fridge all have one thing in common; everything around you has “touched” a truck. Fuel was used.

The price of fuel is too high – you stop driving. The price of fuel is too low – you use up the gas. What gets missed is that in both cases is not enough gas is sold. At the low price the gas you bought didn’t produce enough profit. It triggers exactly what you see now. At the high end, everything that “touched” a truck becomes more expensive.

I’ve tried to explain this with Ubamacare. In 1990, the feds tried to set a new drug price level for states with Medicaid. It was typical backroom lobbying bullshit and what happened was pharma raised prices on government sales. They muscled out the low drug prices because they could produce and or buyout in bulk.

What ultimately ends up happening is you have wasted resources and reduced entry and investment in the long haul. For example, oil drilling.

a.k.a. Flappo The Grate
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    10-17-2023 @ 11:02 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Bumping this, seeing as these greedy cocksuckers are at it again and we're staring at possible $5.00 a gallon gas by this summer. :fupunk:

Open 8am-5pm M-F
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Yeah no shit! Had a big debate on Hannity about it last night. Of course the left blaming the right and vis versa. Bottom line is tension with Iraq I think. It doesn't help that the Keystone pipeline keeps getting the boot form Obama's administration. Oh fuck don't get me started!

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/19/us...pagewanted=all

WASHINGTON — Rising gasoline prices, trumpeted in foot-tall numbers on street corners across the country, are causing concern among advisers to President Obama that a budding sense of economic optimism could be undermined just as he heads into the general election.

Enlarge This Image
    Rick Bowmer/Associated Press
    Speaker John A. Boehner told Republicans to embrace constituents' anger at gas prices.
    Election 2012 iPhone App
    A one-stop destination for the latest political news — from The Times and other top sources. Plus opinion, polls, campaign data and video.

Download Now | Learn More
    .Readers’ Comments
    Readers shared their thoughts on this article.
    Read All Comments (944) »
    White House officials are preparing for Republicans to use consumer angst about the cost of oil and gas to condemn his energy programs and buttress their argument that his economic policies are not working.

In a closed-door meeting last week, Speaker John A. Boehner instructed fellow Republicans to embrace the gas-pump anger they find among their constituents when they return to their districts for the Presidents’ Day recess.

“This debate is a debate we want to have,” Mr. Boehner told his conference on Wednesday, according to a Republican aide who was present. “It was reported this week that we’ll soon see $4-a-gallon gas prices. Maybe higher. Certainly, this summer will see the highest gas prices in years. Your constituents saw those reports, and they’ll be talking about it.”

Iran’s recent warnings of a disruption in the global oil trade have pushed the price of a barrel of domestic oil to more than $103, a six-month high and up about 34 percent since September. That has helped drive the average price of a gallon of regular gasoline in the United States to $3.52, a 30-cent increase in the past two months. It is already approaching $4 in some places.

Economists say the current price of oil is only a modest drag on the economy. But a big jump — combined with tensions over Iran and continuing European debt worries — could present a more significant challenge to America’s recovery, they say.

For the president’s economic team, the specter of such increases in oil prices comes on the heels of positive economic news that has lifted Mr. Obama’s approval rating, including better-than-expected job growth, a surging stock market and a payroll tax deal that will put more money in the pockets of millions of Americans.

But Mr. Boehner’s message to his members echoes the aggressive talk coming from the Republican campaign trail, where the men vying for the right to challenge Mr. Obama are increasingly blaming Mr. Obama’s administration for rising gas prices. A gallon of gas had dropped to $1.89 when Mr. Obama took office in 2009, in large part because of the fall in oil demand caused by the financial crisis, and has almost doubled since.

“They want higher energy prices. They want to push their radical agenda on the public,” Rick Santorum said at a campaign event last week, accusing Democrats of pushing alternatives to oil. “We need a president who is on the side of affordable energy.”

Newt Gingrich wrote on Twitter on Friday that “gasoline prices are unacceptable. We can do better!” He urged his supporters to sign a petition on his Web site calling for a return to $2.50-a-gallon gas. “Drill here. Drill now. Pay less,” the petition says.

And talking points from the Republican National Committee that go out to conservative commentators every Friday often include rising gas prices among the “Top Line Messaging” for the week. A recent “Pundit Prep” document cited the national debt, unemployment and the price of gas as the three best ways to define the “Obama economy.”

The president’s political advisers are bracing for battle as they envision the price of gas rising steadily through the summer, as it usually does. As the president’s motorcade whisked him through scenic Orange County on Thursday on the way to a California fund-raiser, one sign held by a protester read, “Gas prices up 91 percent under Obama.”

Aides say they know the attacks are inevitable. But they also say they are prepared to respond forcefully with a defense of the president’s energy policies and a critique of the Republican line.

“The president is keenly aware of the impact that higher gas prices have on families trying to make ends meet,” Jay Carney, the White House press secretary, said last week.

For Mr. Obama’s economic team, the increase in oil prices is an unwelcome reminder of how global events largely outside their control can hamper a recovery. For the third year in a row, a modest recovery faces head winds as winter turns to spring.

In the spring of 2010, debt crises in Europe, slowing stimulus spending and weakness in the housing market brought an abrupt halt to a brief turnaround in the United States economy. A year later, turmoil in the Middle East, the earthquake and tsunami in Japan and more debt problems in Europe did the same. Now, rising gasoline prices, concern over tensions with Iran and, once again, European debt are causing worries.

On a call with reporters on Friday, Alan B. Krueger, the chairman of the president’s Council of Economic Advisers, said rising oil prices threatened to eat into household budgets and sap confidence — as they did last year. But he said the agreement to extend last year’s payroll tax cut would help.

“The payroll tax cut provides some cushion for families in case they see their costs go up, possibly because of gasoline prices or for other reasons over the course of the year,” Mr. Krueger said.

In speeches this spring, aides said, the president will increasingly focus on his administration’s actions to raise the fuel efficiency of cars and to open new areas to oil and natural gas development. They said they hoped the moves would counter the accusation that he has stifled oil production. On Friday, the Interior Department announced an expansion of oil exploration in Arctic waters.

Mr. Obama has also begun once again to express his personal concern for the impact of gas prices on pocketbooks, as he did last week while pressing Congress to extend the tax cut, which is about $40 per paycheck for a family making $50,000 a year.

“If we start seeing significant increases in gas prices, losing that $40 could not come at a worse time,” the president said Tuesday.

A counterattack being planned by the Obama re-election team in Chicago is expected to point out, among other things, Mitt Romney’s actions to raise gas taxes when he was governor of Massachusetts. And Mr. Obama’s Democratic allies on Capitol Hill are eager to renew a nationwide discussion about tax subsidies to oil companies.

“House Republicans are very good at using every argument they can to shield oil companies from paying their fair share,” said Representative Steve Israel of New York, the chairman of the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee. “They have been relentless and fearless protectors of oil company profits.”

Republicans on Capitol Hill say they are eager to criticize the president as gas prices rise, in part with a flurry of legislation aimed at increasing domestic production.

They also plan to use Mr. Obama’s decision to block the immediate construction of Keystone XL, a 1,700-mile pipeline that would stretch from Canada to the Gulf Coast. A Republican bill was passed by the House on Thursday to expand offshore drilling and force a permit to be approved for the pipeline.

In an interview, Representative Kevin McCarthy of California, the House whip, mocked Mr. Obama’s claim to want an “all of the above” energy policy.

“He says it in his State of the Union, and then a week later he kills Keystone,” Mr. McCarthy said. “I think energy is going to be one of the major issues in this election, and it’s going to peak in two months.”

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Rebel by building yourself an electric commuting car. I doubt most of us drive over 150 miles a day and probably burn most the fuel on short commutes.

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:40 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,562 Times in 3,449 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jagermeister View Post
    Yeah no shit! Had a big debate on Hannity about it last night. Of course the left blaming the right and vis versa. Bottom line is tension with Iraq I think. It doesn't help that the Keystone pipeline keeps getting the boot form Obama's administration. Oh fuck don't get me started!
    Um, you mean Iran. The place our "allies" in Israel we fund to the tune of billion$ a year are threatening to bomb the place, as well as sanctions and a self-imposed oil embargo by Iran (which amounts to cutting their own throat) are what is mainly driving up prices this time....

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

And if you're worried about "cheap, shit" gas, use the retailers on the following list that self "Top Tier" gasoline in accordance with agreements with major auto manufacturers...

http://www.toptiergas.com/

If you're going to pay more, at least get more detergent additive...

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    The shell nitrogen enhanced gasoline makes a difference in my sports car engines. For my older engines I run Lucas fuel treatment in them to give the valves some lubrication. All gasoline comes from the same pipeline and it is the additives. Some of the convenience store gas like Maverik are actually tank bottoms. It's shit gas and I avoid it. You do get what you pay for.

What's nice about Wyoming is it's legal to fill your car up with 100 octane gas at the airport. Once you get use to running on av gas, man, all that stuff at the gas stations seems like shit.

Running with myself
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    06-13-2016 @ 11:12 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Wyoming is one of the few states where you could drive fast enough to get use out of 100 octane gas. Doesn't make much sense for a daily rush hour commute where 40 miles an hour is the top speed....and that's on the freeway.

TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Little Texan View Post
    we're staring at possible $5.00 a gallon gas by this summer. :fupunk:

My $0.02

Planned. By fall it will drop from $5 to $4 and everyone will suck Obamas butthole in thanks and vote him in a landslide.

And we will be thankful to pay $4! That's the fucked up part. They always raise it superficially high so they can lower it a bit & you will be thankful. Instead, we should be OUTRAGED it's over $2.50 a gallon.

I know....if we do this, that or the other it won't affect gas prices for 10 years. Yeah, I remember that argument 10 years ago. 20 years ago. etc.... DO IT NOW! Ten years is gonna come, lets do the prep work NOW!

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-28-2024 @ 09:22 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,517 Times in 2,422 Posts

Again, the fact that neither Obama, nor even if a Republican were to win the Presidency, has absolutely no say in the price of gas is astonishing to me....

Open 8am-5pm M-F
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Nickdfresh View Post
    Um, you mean Iran. The place our "allies" in Israel we fund to the tune of billion$ a year are threatening to bomb the place, as well as sanctions and a self-imposed oil embargo by Iran (which amounts to cutting their own throat) are what is mainly driving up prices this time....
    Yes i did mean Iran.

Anyway the had a deal on the news last night that said speculators are the real reason behind the price of gas. No shortage of supply and lower demand right now becasue it's winter. Now tell me that doesn piss you off. I'll see if I can find the story here in a bit.

Open 8am-5pm M-F
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I can't get it to embed but here is a link.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3032619/#46505223

Running with myself
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    06-13-2016 @ 11:12 AM
    Status
    Thanks

You watch MSNBC now? Won't they kick you out of the Klan for that?

Open 8am-5pm M-F
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Satan View Post
    You watch MSNBC now? Won't they kick you out of the Klan for that?
    I watch NBC nightly news most of the time. I like Brian Williams because I think he shoots straight.

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Nitro Express View Post
    The shell nitrogen enhanced gasoline makes a difference in my sports car engines. For my older engines I run Lucas fuel treatment in them to give the valves some lubrication. All gasoline comes from the same pipeline and it is the additives. Some of the convenience store gas like Maverik are actually tank bottoms. It's shit gas and I avoid it. You do get what you pay for.

What's nice about Wyoming is it's legal to fill your car up with 100 octane gas at the airport. Once you get use to running on av gas, man, all that stuff at the gas stations seems like shit.
    A Volkswagen Passat is a "sports car?" Or was it a Mazda Miata?

Thread Information