Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:12 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,397 Times in 6,054 Posts

Würzel from Motorhead dead

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2011...uary-motorhead

Few fans of the English heavy metal band Motörhead would recognise the name Michael Burston, but if presented with his stage name, Würzel, the majority would respond with unequivocal enthusiasm. The guitarist, who has died aged 61 after suffering from heart disease, came closer than any of the group's many members to being the face of the band, with the exception of Motörhead's founder, Ian "Lemmy" Kilmister. Much of Burston's enduring popularity came from his unaffected good nature, his reluctance to avoid playing the role of the rock star and his expert musicianship.

Fans also identified with Burston because of the unlikely manner of his emergence into the public eye. Before joining the band, he worked as a builder and played rock guitar at small club and pub gigs. Although he had developed a dexterous, blues-indebted style that impressed local audiences, his childhood dream of stardom was fading rapidly. "I knew deep down that the only thing I would really be happy doing was playing rock'n'roll," he recalled, "but I did think, 'I'm 30 years old – am I going to do anything? How am I going to carry on playing these pubs forever?'"

Burston read, in an interview with Lemmy, that the guitarist Brian Robertson had recently left Motörhead. As he remembered, "I wrote [Lemmy] a letter and sent a tape, and he phoned me up for an audition. He also said, 'We'll probably end up with an unknown guitarist', and there was no one in the country who was more unknown than I was."

Born in Cheltenham, Burston served in the army as a corporal before playing in a series of unsuccessful local rock bands. He earned the nickname "Wurzel" as a soldier because of his West Country background and dishevelled appearance, which led his fellow recruits to compare him with the TV character Worzel Gummidge. When Burston joined Motörhead in 1984, Lemmy – who described him as "nearly a basket case" in his 2002 autobiography – encouraged him to add an umlaut, in line with the spelling of the band's name. Würzel became the madcap court jester and counterfoil to Lemmy's sterner image.One of his first performances with the band was in an episode of the cult comedy The Young Ones, in which Motörhead performed their signature tune, Ace of Spades.

Würzel onstage in 2008.
    He continued to make guest appearances with Motörhead years after leaving the band. Photograph: Neil Lupin/Redferns

For the next decade, the British rock press regularly reported on Burston's antics, including a memorable encounter with the Rolling Stones at the 100 Club in London. "It was downstairs in the basement," remembered Lemmy. "Würzel ran down there, all excited, and, just as he comes to the bottom, [Stones bassist] Bill Wyman comes along, and he hits him full-on and lands him flat on his back ... Great start to the evening, you know? 'Hello, Bill, I've always been a fan of yours. Oh sorry, have I knocked you out?'"

Despite his comic image, Burston was a serious musician whose composing and performing skills benefited Motörhead greatly. He played on nine studio and live albums between 1984 and his departure in 1995, with the interplay of his guitar and that of his fellow six-stringer Phil Campbell lending the music great versatility and power. Motörhead's lineup, never a particularly stable entity, changed frequently during Burston's time in the band. He finally left after a series of confrontations with Lemmy about publicity and income.

After leaving Motörhead, Burston performed as a guest on releases by metal bands such as Warhead, and on the 2001 album Artful Splodger by the punk group Splodgenessabounds. He had accumulated a loyal fanbase during his time in Motörhead and many expected him to commence a solo career, but apart from a 1998 album of ambient music, Chill Out Or Die, this failed to materialise.

His friendship with Lemmy remained strong, despite their earlier troubles, and he was often invited to perform guest spots at Motörhead's shows, including the Guilfest event in 2009. In recent years, Burston had formed a new band, Leader of Down, but none of their music has been released.

He is survived by his partner, Jem.

• Würzel (Michael Burston), guitar player, born 23 October 1949; died 9 July 2011
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

2. Thanked Seshmeister for this KICKASS post:

Mr Badguy (07-10-2011)

FUTUE TE IPSUM
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    10-31-2013 @ 07:41 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Seen him play a couple of times with Motörhead.

R.I.P.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

"EVERYBODY UP!!!"™
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-20-2021 @ 05:28 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,978 Times in 1,378 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Badguy View Post
    Seen him play a couple of times with Motörhead.

R.I.P.
    Same here...

R.I.P.

∞ SHEEP PEN GYPSY
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-25-2024 @ 06:27 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,031 Times in 685 Posts

same here.....

rock on Wurz!!!!

RIP

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    12-27-2016 @ 08:33 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,785 Times in 1,252 Posts

R.I.P.

At one point in time he emboddied Motorhead almost as much as Lemmy.

Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    12-24-2022 @ 04:08 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Great camera work on the yourng ones, they show phil campbell when wurzel is soloing, must be union guys...
    RIP

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:12 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,397 Times in 6,054 Posts

That was the 80s for you, directors were particularly stupid.

By the laws of average you would think they would occasionally get it right but they would usually home in on the bass players right hand during guitar solos.

9. Thanked Seshmeister for this KICKASS post:

Mr Badguy (07-13-2011)

Thread Information