Does anyone care about Van Halen's new album?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Va Beach VH Fan
    ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    • Dec 2003

I didn't post this when I initially got the Google Alert on it, after reading it closely, this guy is one clueless fuck....

Posted on Jul 23rd 2011 by David Konow

Rumors have been spreading like wildfire, and apparently this time they're true.

Van Halen, with David Lee Roth on vocals, has actually completed an album, and as of this writing it's supposedly, allegedly, reputedly in the mixing phase. 

Slash mentioned this in a recent interview, and in another recent interview Mark Tremonti, guitarist from Creed (but don't hold it against him), said he heard the alleged album, and that it's great. The question is, is there anyone else left that still cares?

If anyone could get Van Halen to do a reality show, it would be the highest rated in history because there's more nonstop drama and tsuris going on with that band than possibly any other, with the exception of Axl's nu "Guns N' Roses." 

It's amazing Van Halen's been able to get anything done in the last decade or so with Ed's health and substance abuse problems, and the endless infighting with Roth, the result of decades of baggage that will never be resolved. (There have been reportedly at least three or four previous attempts to get Roth back in the band before this one miraculously stuck, but ten minutes from now, who knows?)

Most of the band did reunite for a 2007 tour that was a pretty shaky proposition. Some shows were reportedly very good, some were drunken disasters, and many Van Halen fans were furious that long time bassist Michael Anthony was thrown under the bus by Ed. (He even took the step of having Anthony's photo removed from the classic Van Halen album covers on the band's website, and when the fans revolted, it was quickly put back.)

It's a given that musicians can't always have a good day when they're out in public, but both Dave and Ed are well known for being very unpleasant towards their fans, and like a lot of musicians can't get their head around the fact they didn't buy their big pimpy houses and cars, the people who paid good money for their albums and concerts did.

There are indeed fans that don't care how badly certain bands treat them, saying they don't owe you anything other than music, but the real question is does anyone care about new Van Halen music.

Past a certain point, some audiences just want to hear the old stuff, which Black Sabbath and The Police wisely stuck with on their reunion tours, and no matter how many new albums a band will put out, nobody buys 'em or cares. 

Considering Van Halen hasn't put out an album of original material since 1998, the lamentable Van Halen III, or an album with Hagar since 1995, they may be out of the public eye too long for anyone to do more than shrug, like everyone did for GNR's Chinese Democracy, aka the Axl solo project masquerading as Guns N' Roses.

Van Halen also took so much time trying to keep a singer and get an album finished that the music business collapsed from under them. They no longer have a deal with their longtime label Warner Brothers, and their best bet would be putting an album out through Wal-Mart, which is what their current manager, Irving Azoff did for Journey. Bet you didn't know Journey's still putting albums out, because again people want to hear the old sh*t, even if they're basically doing karaoke with another singer.

Some will tell you with all this time out of the loop the next Van Halen album better be amazing, but even if it is, can the music still get out there for people to hear it (the band completely blew their Guitar Hero opportunity), and will the fans that don't want to hear anything recorded past 1984 care? 

I didn't think Metallica had it in 'em anymore to do a good album, but they pleasantly surprised me with Death Magnetic. As much as they squabble and complain, at least Metallica has a real musical camaraderie, and they weren't stupid and self-destructive enough to throw it all away.
    Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth
  • Va Beach VH Fan
    ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    • Dec 2003

Originally posted by Va Beach VH Fan
    Most of the band did reunite for a 2007 tour that was a pretty shaky proposition. Some shows were reportedly very good, some were drunken disasters, and many Van Halen fans were furious that long time bassist Michael Anthony was thrown under the bus by Ed. (He even took the step of having Anthony's photo removed from the classic Van Halen album covers on the band's website, and when the fans revolted, it was quickly put back.)
    What the fuck is this guy talking about ??

It's a given that musicians can't always have a good day when they're out in public, but both Dave and Ed are well known for being very unpleasant towards their fans, and like a lot of musicians can't get their head around the fact they didn't buy their big pimpy houses and cars, the people who paid good money for their albums and concerts did.
    Again, what the fuck is he talking about?? Sure, they're private people, but "unpleasant" ??
    Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• VanHalener
      ROCKSTAR

• Nov 2006

What a coch throttler.
      I'd like to put on my most expensive pair of corner kicking boots and break my foot off in his ass.

Fuck you, dick muncher!!!
      ~Only you can prevent low volume~

Comment

• chefcraig
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • Apr 2004

David Konow supposedly has contributed to Guitar World, but curiously also lists Creative Screenwriting on his resume. Having written a so-so book on metal (Bang Your Head - The Rise and Fall of Heavy Metal) that only warranted a paperback edition, it should be noted his other claim to fame seems to be a book about Al Adamson (me neither) called Schlock-O-Rama: The Films of Al Adamson. And yes, that was a paperback as well. According to the reviews of both, if you haven't read them (let alone heard of them), you haven't missed anything.

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
        ― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• Jagermeister
          Full Member Status

• Apr 2010

Some what related guess how Rolling Stone eluded to the news of a new album? Go on guess.

Comment

• chefcraig
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • Apr 2004

Originally posted by Jagermeister
            Some what related guess how Rolling Stone eluded to the news of a new album? Go on guess.
            In a brief mention during an interview with Justin Bieber or Katy Perry?

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
            ― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• jhale667
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • Aug 2004

Originally posted by chefcraig
              In a brief mention during an interview with Justin Bieber or Katy Perry?

Yeah, cuz inquiring minds want to know what Katy Perry thinks of the new Van Halen disc...scratch that, inquiring minds want more nude photos of her...

Imagining a Justin Bieber quote "Yeah, so I hear those geezers from the T-shirt my manager keeps making me wear for photo ops is doing a new CD?"
              Originally posted by conmee
              If anyone even thinks about deleting the Muff Thread they are banned.... no questions asked.

That is all.

Icon.
              Originally posted by GO-SPURS-GO
              I've seen prominent hypocrite liberal on this site Jhale667

Originally posted by Isaac R.
              Then it's really true??:eek:

The Muff Thread is really just GONE ???

OMFG...who in their right mind...???
              Originally posted by eddie78
              I was wrong about you, brother. You're good.

Comment

• BrownSound1
                ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
                • Mar 2003

On the album covers that are on the VH website, there was a time when Michael Anthony's photo from the VH1 cover was replaced with one of Wolfgang. People did raise hell, and they put the original with Mike back on.

Comment

• Matt White
                  • Jun 2004

The guy is obviously a pickle-sniffer................

BWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Love it when Sheepeople pop off like that.......

Still bitter over the demise of van haggis.............................

Comment

• slimdon
                    Roadie
                    • Feb 2004

Wrong

I met Dave, and what he said to me made my f**king life better!

I told him," Dave, thank you for all the blues skies and sunshine you've given me my whole life." Then thee mighty one responded, "Well thank you very much. With the way the world is today, everybody could use a little bit of sunshine."

I hold that moment as one of my coolest experiences.

Comment

• jhale667
                      DIAMOND STATUS
                      • Aug 2004

Originally posted by slimdon
                      I met Dave, and what he said to me made my f**king life better!

I told him," Dave, thank you for all the blues skies and sunshine you've given me my whole life." Then thee mighty one responded, "Well thank you very much. With the way the world is today, everybody could use a little bit of sunshine."

I hold that moment as one of my coolest experiences.

He's good for quotable quotes like that one...the time I met him was a couple of weeks after our birthdays, told him "happy belated, we actually share a birthday" and he smiles, says "Thanks. And, I'm in good company!"
                      Originally posted by conmee
                      If anyone even thinks about deleting the Muff Thread they are banned.... no questions asked.

That is all.

Icon.
                      Originally posted by GO-SPURS-GO
                      I've seen prominent hypocrite liberal on this site Jhale667

Originally posted by Isaac R.
                      Then it's really true??:eek:

The Muff Thread is really just GONE ???

OMFG...who in their right mind...???
                      Originally posted by eddie78
                      I was wrong about you, brother. You're good.

Comment

• hotsummerknight
                        Groupie
                        • Jul 2011

ive never met him, but we share something in common. we have both experienced antisemitism.

Comment

• chefcraig
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • Apr 2004

Yep. Everyone that has reported meeting the man has come away with a positive experience. Here's mine...(pardon the goofy writing style, I apparently had a few in me. )

Dignity, Plain And Simple

― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• binnie
                            DIAMOND STATUS
                            • May 2006

The problem is that the article is written as a polemic.

Yes, many of us are/were pissed that Mike isn't there; yes, the career of Van Halen has been something of soap opera (especially in recent years); and yes, despite immense enthusiasm at the announcement of the reunion tour, even the most ardent fans would have to admit that Ed in particular had some (or even plenty) of off nights.

You could find all of those points on this board. How this guy adds them up into 'no-one cares about the new album' is beyond me, however. We all care, even those of us who are bracing themselves for disappointment (like me). Sure, it won't be a million seller, but if VH actually do some promo it could be a significant event.
                            The Power Of The Riff Compels Me

Comment

• Seshmeister
                              ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Yeah I didn't think the article was that far off, just maybe a bit harsh on Roth. There were drunk performances on the last tour by Ed, no one wants the kid on bass, they have repeatedly fucked up their career pissed away their opportunities and the same thread linked by Chefcraig to Roth being cool has fans saying the Van Halens were unpleasant to them.

Comment

Working...