Thread: Does anyone care about Van Halen's new album?

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-28-2024 @ 09:22 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,517 Times in 2,422 Posts

Does anyone care about Van Halen's new album?

I didn't post this when I initially got the Google Alert on it, after reading it closely, this guy is one clueless fuck....

http://www.tgdaily.com/games-and-ent...lens-new-album

Does anyone care about Van Halen's new album?
    Posted on Jul 23rd 2011 by David Konow

Rumors have been spreading like wildfire, and apparently this time they're true.

Van Halen, with David Lee Roth on vocals, has actually completed an album, and as of this writing it's supposedly, allegedly, reputedly in the mixing phase. 

Slash mentioned this in a recent interview, and in another recent interview Mark Tremonti, guitarist from Creed (but don't hold it against him), said he heard the alleged album, and that it's great. The question is, is there anyone else left that still cares?

If anyone could get Van Halen to do a reality show, it would be the highest rated in history because there's more nonstop drama and tsuris going on with that band than possibly any other, with the exception of Axl's nu "Guns N' Roses." 

It's amazing Van Halen's been able to get anything done in the last decade or so with Ed's health and substance abuse problems, and the endless infighting with Roth, the result of decades of baggage that will never be resolved. (There have been reportedly at least three or four previous attempts to get Roth back in the band before this one miraculously stuck, but ten minutes from now, who knows?)

Most of the band did reunite for a 2007 tour that was a pretty shaky proposition. Some shows were reportedly very good, some were drunken disasters, and many Van Halen fans were furious that long time bassist Michael Anthony was thrown under the bus by Ed. (He even took the step of having Anthony's photo removed from the classic Van Halen album covers on the band's website, and when the fans revolted, it was quickly put back.)

It's a given that musicians can't always have a good day when they're out in public, but both Dave and Ed are well known for being very unpleasant towards their fans, and like a lot of musicians can't get their head around the fact they didn't buy their big pimpy houses and cars, the people who paid good money for their albums and concerts did.

There are indeed fans that don't care how badly certain bands treat them, saying they don't owe you anything other than music, but the real question is does anyone care about new Van Halen music.

Past a certain point, some audiences just want to hear the old stuff, which Black Sabbath and The Police wisely stuck with on their reunion tours, and no matter how many new albums a band will put out, nobody buys 'em or cares. 

Considering Van Halen hasn't put out an album of original material since 1998, the lamentable Van Halen III, or an album with Hagar since 1995, they may be out of the public eye too long for anyone to do more than shrug, like everyone did for GNR's Chinese Democracy, aka the Axl solo project masquerading as Guns N' Roses.

Van Halen also took so much time trying to keep a singer and get an album finished that the music business collapsed from under them. They no longer have a deal with their longtime label Warner Brothers, and their best bet would be putting an album out through Wal-Mart, which is what their current manager, Irving Azoff did for Journey. Bet you didn't know Journey's still putting albums out, because again people want to hear the old sh*t, even if they're basically doing karaoke with another singer.

Some will tell you with all this time out of the loop the next Van Halen album better be amazing, but even if it is, can the music still get out there for people to hear it (the band completely blew their Guitar Hero opportunity), and will the fans that don't want to hear anything recorded past 1984 care? 

I didn't think Metallica had it in 'em anymore to do a good album, but they pleasantly surprised me with Death Magnetic. As much as they squabble and complain, at least Metallica has a real musical camaraderie, and they weren't stupid and self-destructive enough to throw it all away.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Va Beach VH Fan View Post
    Most of the band did reunite for a 2007 tour that was a pretty shaky proposition. Some shows were reportedly very good, some were drunken disasters, and many Van Halen fans were furious that long time bassist Michael Anthony was thrown under the bus by Ed. (He even took the step of having Anthony's photo removed from the classic Van Halen album covers on the band's website, and when the fans revolted, it was quickly put back.)
    What the fuck is this guy talking about ??

It's a given that musicians can't always have a good day when they're out in public, but both Dave and Ed are well known for being very unpleasant towards their fans, and like a lot of musicians can't get their head around the fact they didn't buy their big pimpy houses and cars, the people who paid good money for their albums and concerts did.
    Again, what the fuck is he talking about?? Sure, they're private people, but "unpleasant" ??

=OWWWWWWWWW=
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    09-02-2013 @ 10:05 PM
    Status
    Thanks

What a coch throttler.
    I'd like to put on my most expensive pair of corner kicking boots and break my foot off in his ass.

Fuck you, dick muncher!!!
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Perpetually Befuddled
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-01-2017 @ 12:20 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,052 Times in 2,583 Posts

David Konow supposedly has contributed to Guitar World, but curiously also lists Creative Screenwriting on his resume. Having written a so-so book on metal (Bang Your Head - The Rise and Fall of Heavy Metal) that only warranted a paperback edition, it should be noted his other claim to fame seems to be a book about Al Adamson (me neither) called Schlock-O-Rama: The Films of Al Adamson. And yes, that was a paperback as well. According to the reviews of both, if you haven't read them (let alone heard of them), you haven't missed anything.

5. Thanked chefcraig for this KICKASS post:

Little Texan (10-03-2011)

Open 8am-5pm M-F
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    01-08-2015 @ 01:06 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Some what related guess how Rolling Stone eluded to the news of a new album? Go on guess.

Perpetually Befuddled
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jagermeister View Post
    Some what related guess how Rolling Stone eluded to the news of a new album? Go on guess.
    In a brief mention during an interview with Justin Bieber or Katy Perry?

8. 2 users say thank you to chefcraig for this KICKASS post:

Hardrock69 (07-25-2011),Little Texan (10-03-2011)

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    04-07-2016 @ 01:20 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,110 Times in 2,874 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by chefcraig View Post
    In a brief mention during an interview with Justin Bieber or Katy Perry?

Yeah, cuz inquiring minds want to know what Katy Perry thinks of the new Van Halen disc...scratch that, inquiring minds want more nude photos of her...

Imagining a Justin Bieber quote "Yeah, so I hear those geezers from the T-shirt my manager keeps making me wear for photo ops is doing a new CD?"

Member No
    Last Online
    04-05-2014 @ 08:34 PM
    Status
    Thanks

On the album covers that are on the VH website, there was a time when Michael Anthony's photo from the VH1 cover was replaced with one of Wolfgang. People did raise hell, and they put the original with Mike back on.

∞ SHEEP PEN GYPSY
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-25-2024 @ 06:27 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,031 Times in 685 Posts

The guy is obviously a pickle-sniffer................

BWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Love it when Sheepeople pop off like that.......

Still bitter over the demise of van haggis.............................

The Reverend
    Roadie

Member No
    Last Online
    01-15-2023 @ 12:23 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Thumbs down Wrong

I met Dave, and what he said to me made my f**king life better!

I told him," Dave, thank you for all the blues skies and sunshine you've given me my whole life." Then thee mighty one responded, "Well thank you very much. With the way the world is today, everybody could use a little bit of sunshine."

I hold that moment as one of my coolest experiences.

13. 3 users say thank you to slimdon for this KICKASS post:

chefcraig (07-25-2011),Matt White (07-25-2011),Satan (07-25-2011)

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    04-07-2016 @ 01:20 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,110 Times in 2,874 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by slimdon View Post
    I met Dave, and what he said to me made my f**king life better!

I told him," Dave, thank you for all the blues skies and sunshine you've given me my whole life." Then thee mighty one responded, "Well thank you very much. With the way the world is today, everybody could use a little bit of sunshine."

I hold that moment as one of my coolest experiences.

He's good for quotable quotes like that one...the time I met him was a couple of weeks after our birthdays, told him "happy belated, we actually share a birthday" and he smiles, says "Thanks. And, I'm in good company!"

15. Thanked jhale667 for this KICKASS post:

Matt White (07-25-2011)

Groupie
    Member No
    Last Online
    02-15-2012 @ 01:44 PM
    Status
    Thanks

ive never met him, but we share something in common. we have both experienced antisemitism.

17. Thanked hotsummerknight for this KICKASS post:

VAiN (07-25-2011)

Perpetually Befuddled
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Yep. Everyone that has reported meeting the man has come away with a positive experience. Here's mine...(pardon the goofy writing style, I apparently had a few in me. )

Dignity, Plain And Simple

19. Thanked chefcraig for this KICKASS post:

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    12-27-2016 @ 08:33 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,785 Times in 1,252 Posts

The problem is that the article is written as a polemic.

Yes, many of us are/were pissed that Mike isn't there; yes, the career of Van Halen has been something of soap opera (especially in recent years); and yes, despite immense enthusiasm at the announcement of the reunion tour, even the most ardent fans would have to admit that Ed in particular had some (or even plenty) of off nights.

You could find all of those points on this board. How this guy adds them up into 'no-one cares about the new album' is beyond me, however. We all care, even those of us who are bracing themselves for disappointment (like me). Sure, it won't be a million seller, but if VH actually do some promo it could be a significant event.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:43 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,347 Times in 6,031 Posts

Yeah I didn't think the article was that far off, just maybe a bit harsh on Roth. There were drunk performances on the last tour by Ed, no one wants the kid on bass, they have repeatedly fucked up their career pissed away their opportunities and the same thread linked by Chefcraig to Roth being cool has fans saying the Van Halens were unpleasant to them.

The Menace Is Loose Again
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    04-08-2015 @ 12:58 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,934 Times in 1,875 Posts

If no one cares about a new Van Halen album, why did this guy write a long piece about it? If he truly believes what he is saying, surely he assumed even less people would read his article.

No one cares that I stubbed my toe.

They will care even less about the thread I will write about it.

Tattoo Tattoo
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    02-18-2015 @ 05:43 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,001 Times in 676 Posts

How did they screw up the Guitar hero release? Did I miss something?

Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-01-2016 @ 03:22 AM
    Status
    Thanks

guy makes a couple valid points - lots of time has passed .. will people care ?

Did people expect Death Magnetic to be more than St. Anger .. probably not .. but it was damn good..

stones bigger bang was good - it was a thud of a release .. went no where

new journey ? - Malaysian singer kinda makes it a so what ..

New VH CD???- well VH & DLR tour sold out mighty quick .. is there pent up demand - you betcha ..

.. and 1/2 of VH is Eddie and his guitar - if Ed is en fuego so too is the CD - if Ed pussifies his playing ... it will be a who cares imho

up for breakfast / Me wise Magic = who cares .. but TOUR!!!!!!!!!! tour ! tour !!!!!!!!! TOUR!

Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Shoes, Sensible View Post
    in the sense they didnt capitalize on the fad - no VH guitar hero edition spose'

Perpetually Befuddled
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Shoes, Sensible View Post
    I'm uncertain how the guy meant the reference to Guitar Hero. Was he saying the band "blew it" by limiting the song selection to the CVH era, or was he implying that the group should have waited and tied the new album to the game? Either way, it doesn't matter as Activision is currently revamping the franchise, so a new platform and games will be flooding the market soon. Van Halen will certainly have another opportunity to join in on the fun.

Forbes: New Studio ‘Reinventing’ Guitar Hero
    Last edited by chefcraig; 07-25-2011 at 02:35 PM. Reason: spellliiingg

27. Thanked chefcraig for this KICKASS post:

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Headly1984 View Post
    new journey ? - Malaysian singer kinda makes it a so what ..
    Filipino... I knew the guy a little when I was stationed there in the '80's....

Atomic Punk of Los Santos
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    01-28-2017 @ 09:31 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Headly1984 View Post
    in the sense they didnt capitalize on the fad - no VH guitar hero edition spose'
    What are you talking about?

There is a Guitar Hero - Van Halen...and it's available for all game platforms. I own it for PS3...and I actually got it for free packaged with another game.

However, they didn't capitalize on it. There was nothing on the VH website, no publicity, no NOTHING from anyone in the band. In fact, the only real publicity they got surrounding the whole thing was largely negative, based on their ongoing hissy fit involving Michael Anthony.

The VH boys opted to (again) exclude Michael Anthony from the game, instead replacing him with Wolfgang....much the way they tried with their infamous "airbrush" scandal on their website when they replaced bassplayer on the album cover art.

It's even sillier when you see Wolfgang playing in the "Classic" Van Halen Guitar Hero songs (Dave with the long hair, Eddie in his "Dice" shirt, etc...). Those were the days when Wolfgang wasn't even an itch in his daddy's pants.

Atomic Punk of Los Santos
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    01-28-2017 @ 09:31 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sadaist View Post
    If no one cares about a new Van Halen album, why did this guy write a long piece about it?
    Because he cares about garnering attention for himself, and he knows there's still a big CVH fanbase out there that would go fucking nuts over this article and give it a longer life span.

ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    04-12-2014 @ 11:20 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,202 Times in 757 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sadaist View Post
    If no one cares about a new Van Halen album, why did this guy write a long piece about it?.
    Listen to the lyric at 5:15

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    10-31-2021 @ 04:25 PM
    Status
    Thanks

The question is, is there anyone else left that still cares?

So who we supposed to care about --- Chickenshit and more retarded lyrics from Poodle-Head ??

Rock God
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-03-2024 @ 04:13 AM
    A Small Dive in a trashy neighborhood somewhere on Fornax 9
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,616 Times in 1,647 Posts

No...those are for the idiot who wrote that article to jack off over...

Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

that steve via is really bad ..

wow awful really

ok, I missed the guitar hero VH - I haven't played video games since my atari 2600 lol!!!

seems they missed good PR - but nothing else

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 02:53 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,991 Times in 3,230 Posts

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TJMKID View Post
    So who we supposed to care about --- Chickenshit and more retarded lyrics from Poodle-Head ??
    Like some kind of alien looking for the opening, shit comes marching in. Hey baybee! I'm gay, I'm up for breakfast and I'm here to ruin your day. You just a sucker, a sucker in a three piece you just a sucker because you bought my album mother fucker. Now I'm marching to Mars, with all your money, because you gave it to me, is pretty damn funny because I'm Sammy. I wear children's jammies.

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    10-31-2021 @ 04:25 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Nitro Express View Post
    Like some kind of alien looking for the opening, shit comes marching in. Hey baybee! I'm gay, I'm up for breakfast and I'm here to ruin your day. You just a sucker, a sucker in a three piece you just a sucker because you bought my album mother fucker. Now I'm marching to Mars, with all your money, because you gave it to me, is pretty damn funny because I'm Sammy. I wear children's jammies.
    " Some kind of alien....waits for the opening....simply pulls a string....love cums walkin' in "

I always thought pulling the string referred to Poodle-Head's tampon getting yanked out of his smelly twat.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:43 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,347 Times in 6,031 Posts

<object width="480" height="390"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/GQge_Yn-SLM?version=3&amp;hl=en_GB"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/GQge_Yn-SLM?version=3&amp;hl=en_GB" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="480" height="390" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

38. 4 users say thank you to Seshmeister for this KICKASS post:

indeedido (07-25-2011),lesfunk (07-25-2011),mh5150 (07-25-2011),ThrillsNSpills (07-26-2011)

Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    10-11-2020 @ 03:12 PM
    Status
    Thanks

I got a chuckle out of that

Dr. Lulz
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-02-2020 @ 09:51 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,443 Times in 997 Posts

I don't think the article is that bad.

Yes, they replaced Mike with Wolf on the VH I picture, and quickly put it back.
    Yes, there was some pretty drunken performances from Ed. I remember hearing reports of Wolf getting pretty pissed at his Dad.
    Hell, I'll even agree that a lot of people may not care much about a new VH album at this point. We all do, but VH missed their best opportunity, what, 15 years ago?

Pretty fuckin' crazy to think how much time has went by since they stepped out together at the VMAs and lit the excitement of the music world on fire with just 3 minutes on stage together.

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Now THAT is one nice... chair....

Ron
    Head Fluffer

Member No
    Last Online
    10-09-2014 @ 05:49 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    I like her... shirt!!

Use my hand, I won't look
    ____Van Fuckin' Halen____
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    10-27-2020 @ 08:17 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,707 Times in 1,035 Posts

For the record, I care about the new album.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:23 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,267 Times in 1,488 Posts

Blog Entries
    The diehard fans still care.

The question is how many of THEM are still around?

I'd imagine the Van Halen fanbase has so many subsets (people who like CVH only, Chedheads, Eddie Grunts) and while there were millions upon millions of fans 25 years ago, how many of them are waiting with baited breath for a new album?

Hey, I'm as hardcore as they come, but after 15 years of fuckups and the natural onset of age, personally if the band never did anything again it wouldn't be that much of a loss to me. I'm not in my teens anymore, where it was a real bummer when Roth quit...or when I anxiously waited for the band to release 1984...or when I was counting down the days after I bought my tickets to see them on the 1984 tour to the day of the actual concert. When I bought my tix to see them in 2008 several months before the gig, life went on in the meantime. When the show day came and Ed was a drunken mess, I really wasn't bummed on a major scale beyond irked that I had paid decent money to see a drunken bum.

My illusions of the band and the nature of rock stars in general are too far gone to get all that hyped about what they're doing now.

All that being said, a new Van Halen album with Roth that rocks well would be pretty fucking sweet.

If that doesn't happen, whatever.

Tattoo Tattoo
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    02-18-2015 @ 05:43 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,001 Times in 676 Posts

I've always felt I missed out on the first years due to my own addiction to work. So it means a lot to me to be "current" with the band that literally changed my life.

Thread Information