10-17-2023 @ 11:02 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Randy Moss retires from the NFL

Link

Randy Moss decides to retire
    Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on August 1, 2011, 1:05 PM EDT
    Tennessee Titans v Kansas City Chiefs Getty Images

It doesn’t matter what kind of shape Randy Moss is in now: The surefire Hall of Fame player is going to retire.

ESPN’s Adam Schefter got the word from Moss’ agent Joel Segal: ”After weighing his options and contemplating offers, he’s decided to retire,” Segal said.

It’s not a huge shock to us. We suspect Moss did not have many attractive offers, and he didn’t want to take a huge paycut to do the Terrell Owens thing and keep taking one-year deals. We guessed more than once that Moss would ultimately hang em up because of low contract offers.

It’s a shame that Moss’ career ended on such a sour note, but most great careers do. One of the singular players of his generation, Moss is second all time in career touchdowns and fifth in yards. He’s in the discussion as one of the best receivers and big play threats ever.

Speculation will ensue that Moss will pull a Brett Favre and return at some point. We have our doubts.

Moss didn’t return to football because teams didn’t want to pay him. His pride is too big to battle for snaps and a roster spot on a low salary. We don’t expect to see him on the field again, but we do expect to see him one day in Canton.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

a.k.a. Flappo The Grate
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    10-17-2023 @ 11:02 AM
    Status
    Thanks

He was an unquestionably talented player that could have been the greatest receiver of all time if it weren't for his attitude problem, lack of motivation and immaturity. Does a player that is notorious for taking plays off and doesn't give it 120% every play deserve to be in the hall of fame?

Puts the ass in Class
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    09-23-2017 @ 12:50 PM
    Where the wind comes sweeping down the plains
    Status
    Thanks

+1

He got mighty lazy with the Raiders and admitted it. Did well with the Pats for the most part and of course didn't show up last year. He'll be back but he has to lose the laziness. Hall of Fame, I say no.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Perpetually Befuddled
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-01-2017 @ 12:20 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,052 Times in 2,583 Posts

I don't think the guy is a lock for the HOF, either. Even though he's second only to Jerry Rice in stats, the lousy work ethic could come back to haunt him. He might get in at a later date, but I seriously doubt he's a first ballot proposition.

The thing is, Moss likes training camp and practice about as much as Alan Iverson did. This could merely be a ploy to get out of more work, and just about every team short of Philadelphia and the Jets could use another receiver. I just wonder if the guy would be willing to be the second or third option on any roster.
    Last edited by chefcraig; 08-01-2011 at 06:50 PM.

Last Gasp
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    02-02-2017 @ 01:35 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Wella, I guess he had an intense offseason workout so he's still fit to join a team who's looking for him if anyone goes down. So I see him not being retired for to much longer ...

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    04-07-2016 @ 01:20 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,110 Times in 2,874 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Little Texan View Post
    He was an unquestionably talented player that could have been the greatest receiver of all time if it weren't for his attitude problem, lack of motivation and immaturity. Does a player that is notorious for taking plays off and doesn't give it 120% every play deserve to be in the hall of fame?
    Dude, he was a talented kid even.. Kinda surprised to see him retire so early too...wonder if he'll go back to our hometown and build some palace amongst the rubble of our decaying neighborhood...probably not...

I didn't hear anything about his work ethic issues until a few years ago, not like I really pay that much attention to football; but I was always interested to hear what he was up to, as one of the two people I knew growing up who "made it".

Thread Information