Thanks
    Thanked 6,298 Times in 4,722 Posts

Exclamation Stop Coddling the Super-Rich - by super rich guy Warren Buffett

The New York Times

August 14, 2011
    Stop Coddling the Super-Rich
    By WARREN E. BUFFETT

Omaha

OUR leaders have asked for “shared sacrifice.” But when they did the asking, they spared me. I checked with my mega-rich friends to learn what pain they were expecting. They, too, were left untouched.

While the poor and middle class fight for us in Afghanistan, and while most Americans struggle to make ends meet, we mega-rich continue to get our extraordinary tax breaks. Some of us are investment managers who earn billions from our daily labors but are allowed to classify our income as “carried interest,” thereby getting a bargain 15 percent tax rate. Others own stock index futures for 10 minutes and have 60 percent of their gain taxed at 15 percent, as if they’d been long-term investors.

These and other blessings are showered upon us by legislators in Washington who feel compelled to protect us, much as if we were spotted owls or some other endangered species. It’s nice to have friends in high places.

Last year my federal tax bill — the income tax I paid, as well as payroll taxes paid by me and on my behalf — was $6,938,744. That sounds like a lot of money. But what I paid was only 17.4 percent of my taxable income — and that’s actually a lower percentage than was paid by any of the other 20 people in our office. Their tax burdens ranged from 33 percent to 41 percent and averaged 36 percent.

If you make money with money, as some of my super-rich friends do, your percentage may be a bit lower than mine. But if you earn money from a job, your percentage will surely exceed mine — most likely by a lot.

To understand why, you need to examine the sources of government revenue. Last year about 80 percent of these revenues came from personal income taxes and payroll taxes. The mega-rich pay income taxes at a rate of 15 percent on most of their earnings but pay practically nothing in payroll taxes. It’s a different story for the middle class: typically, they fall into the 15 percent and 25 percent income tax brackets, and then are hit with heavy payroll taxes to boot.

Back in the 1980s and 1990s, tax rates for the rich were far higher, and my percentage rate was in the middle of the pack. According to a theory I sometimes hear, I should have thrown a fit and refused to invest because of the elevated tax rates on capital gains and dividends.

I didn’t refuse, nor did others. I have worked with investors for 60 years and I have yet to see anyone — not even when capital gains rates were 39.9 percent in 1976-77 — shy away from a sensible investment because of the tax rate on the potential gain. People invest to make money, and potential taxes have never scared them off. And to those who argue that higher rates hurt job creation, I would note that a net of nearly 40 million jobs were added between 1980 and 2000. You know what’s happened since then: lower tax rates and far lower job creation.

Since 1992, the I.R.S. has compiled data from the returns of the 400 Americans reporting the largest income. In 1992, the top 400 had aggregate taxable income of $16.9 billion and paid federal taxes of 29.2 percent on that sum. In 2008, the aggregate income of the highest 400 had soared to $90.9 billion — a staggering $227.4 million on average — but the rate paid had fallen to 21.5 percent.

The taxes I refer to here include only federal income tax, but you can be sure that any payroll tax for the 400 was inconsequential compared to income. In fact, 88 of the 400 in 2008 reported no wages at all, though every one of them reported capital gains. Some of my brethren may shun work but they all like to invest. (I can relate to that.)

I know well many of the mega-rich and, by and large, they are very decent people. They love America and appreciate the opportunity this country has given them. Many have joined the Giving Pledge, promising to give most of their wealth to philanthropy. Most wouldn’t mind being told to pay more in taxes as well, particularly when so many of their fellow citizens are truly suffering.

Twelve members of Congress will soon take on the crucial job of rearranging our country’s finances. They’ve been instructed to devise a plan that reduces the 10-year deficit by at least $1.5 trillion. It’s vital, however, that they achieve far more than that. Americans are rapidly losing faith in the ability of Congress to deal with our country’s fiscal problems. Only action that is immediate, real and very substantial will prevent that doubt from morphing into hopelessness. That feeling can create its own reality.

Job one for the 12 is to pare down some future promises that even a rich America can’t fulfill. Big money must be saved here. The 12 should then turn to the issue of revenues. I would leave rates for 99.7 percent of taxpayers unchanged and continue the current 2-percentage-point reduction in the employee contribution to the payroll tax. This cut helps the poor and the middle class, who need every break they can get.

But for those making more than $1 million — there were 236,883 such households in 2009 — I would raise rates immediately on taxable income in excess of $1 million, including, of course, dividends and capital gains. And for those who make $10 million or more — there were 8,274 in 2009 — I would suggest an additional increase in rate.

My friends and I have been coddled long enough by a billionaire-friendly Congress. It’s time for our government to get serious about shared sacrifice.

Warren E. Buffett is the chairman and chief executive of Berkshire Hathaway.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

2. 2 users say thank you to FORD for this KICKASS post:

Coyote (08-18-2011),jhale667 (08-15-2011)

Open 8am-5pm M-F
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    01-08-2015 @ 01:06 PM
    Status
    Thanks

You know that's all great. We should just tax the rich in a fair manner then the debt problem will be solved. Really using his own numbers it would generate a few billion dollars. Then you have to ask would that money get pissed away on a toilet seat?
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:40 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jagermeister View Post
    You know that's all great. We should just tax the rich in a fair manner then the debt problem will be solved. Really using his own numbers it would generate a few billion dollars. Then you have to ask would that money get pissed away on a toilet seat?
    Actually, those kind of abuses would stop, if the rich were taxed.

Why?

Because there would be no incentive to submit fraudulent bids on government contracts and pocket the extra money, if you had to pay tax on it.

Open 8am-5pm M-F
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FORD View Post
    Actually, those kind of abuses would stop, if the rich were taxed.

Why?

Because there would be no incentive to submit fraudulent bids on government contracts and pocket the extra money, if you had to pay tax on it.
    I don't know dude. I think many of them would just find a way around it just like the corporations are doing as noted in the 60 minutes story I posted today.

Rice Cooker
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-07-2024 @ 03:10 PM
    Status
    Thanks

dude, it's not a one-solution type thing. buffett never said that all of the country's problems will be solved if you simply increase taxes on the rich. but it is part of the solution.

republicans have it tough, because they say things that aren't usually borne out by facts, like, "any tax increase on the rich harms the job creators and will be bad for the economy." they said it in 1993, and we balanced the budget with a booming economy. they're saying it now. sure, i wouldn't trust kucinich or pelosi or reid or obama to know the private sector. but isn't it kind of telling when republicans ignore warren buffett?

C.U.N.T. Ambassador
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    12-10-2014 @ 10:07 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    You know, I said last week I was going to start with my own..... All right here it goes...

The issue is there are sorts out there that cannot even pay for thier own children higher education that think they are part of the wealthy because they "Believe". It is the stupidest shit I have ever seen to be living in a sub-par location "penthouse suite" on the 16th floor dock side with a used jet-ski and an old boat that looks gypsy rich when placed next to the children's home. all the while telling their off-spring if you can't get it on your own it is not worth having. It is complete and utter bullshite.

Who the fuck brainwashed these penny stock drowning, I got a dream, but it ain't black unless it is a rich black nitwits should be shot.

It is a damn fucking shame!

C.U.N.T. Ambassador
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    It is the same as that ni55er shite I heard about bastard children, "Don't you have family?"

C.U.N.T. Ambassador
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    People are brainwashed. Pure and simple. There is a reason shite on television is called programming!

The true JBC
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    11-14-2018 @ 03:27 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,298 Times in 1,690 Posts

She seems to care....about what I have no idea.......

C.U.N.T. Ambassador
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kwame k View Post

She seems to care....about what I have no idea.......
    Hmm... maybe it is time to see if the handwriting fits Love you, No, really I do!

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    04-07-2016 @ 01:20 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,110 Times in 2,874 Posts

Amazingly, checked my Facebook news feed this morning to find people I know that are nowhere NEAR "super-rich" railing on Buffet for suggesting the rich pay their share...I mean, WTF? Could these people be any more brainwashed? I mean, not only are they against their own self-interests, how DARE that rich guy suggest he himself should pay more taxes!!!

13. 2 users say thank you to jhale667 for this KICKASS post:

Coyote (08-18-2011),FORD (08-16-2011)

Open 8am-5pm M-F
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

http://www.cnn.com/2011/OPINION/08/1...html?hpt=hp_c1

Editor's note: Jeffrey Miron is senior lecturer and director of undergraduate studies at Harvard University and Senior Fellow at the Cato Institute. He is the author of "Libertarianism, from A to Z."

Cambridge, Massachusetts (CNN) -- In a recent New York Times op-ed article, Warren Buffett asserts that the super-rich do not pay enough taxes. He suggests that any new budget deal should raise rates on the super-rich, especially on their "unearned" income from interest, dividends and capital gains.

Buffett is wrong. Bad government policies play a major role in generating inappropriately high incomes, but singling out the super-rich is misguided. And the policy Buffett criticizes most -- low tax rates on capital income -- should be expanded, not eliminated.

The first problem with Buffett's view is that the number of super-rich is too small for higher rates to make much difference to our budget problems.

In 2009, the income earned by the 236,833 taxpayers with more than $1 million in adjusted gross income was about $727 billion. Imposing a 10% surcharge on this income would generate at most $73 billion in new revenue -- only about 2% of federal spending. And $73 billion is optimistic; the super-rich will avoid or evade much of the surcharge, significantly lowering its yield.

Yeah that's what I thought.

Focusing on the super-rich also fosters a counterproductive attitude toward material success. The way to promote a hard-working, entrepreneurial and innovative society is to celebrate great wealth so long as it has been earned by legitimate means. When this is not the case, policy should target the wrongdoing directly, not demonize everyone who hits it big.

Most importantly, singling out the super-rich distracts from the real problem: the myriad policies that make no sense in the first place because they inhibit economic growth and that simultaneously redistribute from low-income households to the middle and upper classes.

The deductibility of home mortgage interest encourages excess investment in housing. High-income taxpayers get the benefits, since low-income taxpayers own little or no housing and do not itemize deductions in any case.

The favorable tax treatment of employer-paid health insurance generates overconsumption of health care and contributes to rising health care costs. The benefits go mainly to middle- and upper-income households, since those without jobs get no employer-provided benefits.

Numerous loopholes for favored industries in the corporate tax code distort the market's investment decisions and reward the well-funded and politically connected.

And it is not just the tax code that harms the economy while favoring the better off.

Excessive licensing requirements, permitting fees, restrictive examinations and other barriers to entry into medicine, law, plumbing, hair styling and many other professions are bad for economic productivity because they artificially restrict the supply of these services. And these barriers redistribute income perversely by raising incomes for those protected and raising prices for everyone.

Crony capitalism -- the special treatment of favored industries like autos -- runs counter to economic efficiency because it protects businesses that would otherwise fail, and it maintains high incomes for executives and shareholders.

The too-big-to-fail doctrine, exhibited most recently in the TARP bailout of Wall Street banks, distorts efficiency by encouraging excess risk-taking. Meanwhile, bailouts generate huge incomes for the lucky few who keep gains in good times and pass losses to taxpayers in bad times.

In contrast to these and other policies, the one Buffett criticizes -- low tax rates on capital income -- is beneficial for the economy, including lower-income households.

Economists agree broadly that an efficient tax system should avoid taxing income, dividends and capital gains to promote savings, investment and growth. Tax rates on capital income should therefore be low or even zero. The U.S. is far from this ideal, especially given the high tax rate on corporate income and the additional taxation at the personal level.

Buffet asserts that taxing capital income has never deterred anyone from investing. Well, then he has never discussed the issue with me or many of my friends.

More importantly, taxing investment returns plays a huge role in what kinds of investments occur, and where, even if it has minor effects on the amounts. These tax-induced distortions in investment choices then reduce economic growth. High U.S. taxation on capital income drives investment overseas.

So raising capital tax rates will not make the super-rich pay their "fair" share; it will encourage capital flight, driving factories and innovation abroad. The rich will still get their high returns, but U.S. workers will have fewer jobs and lower wages.

Buffett errs, most fundamentally, by focusing on outcomes rather than policies. The right question is which policies promote differences in incomes that reflect hard work, energy, innovation and creativity, rather than reward the unethical, the politically connected and the tax-savvy.

In economics, as in sports, we should adopt good rules and insist that everyone play by them. Then we should stand back and applaud the winners.

The opinions expressed in this commentary are solely those of Jeffrey Miron.

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:33 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,580 Times in 3,459 Posts

Editor's note: Jeffrey Miron is senior lecturer and director of undergraduate studies at Harvard University and Senior Fellow at the Cato Institute. He is the author of "Libertarianism, from A to Z."

Cambridge, Massachusetts (CNN) -- In a recent New York Times op-ed article, Warren Buffett asserts that the super-rich do not pay enough taxes. He suggests that any new budget deal should raise rates on the super-rich, especially on their "unearned" income from interest, dividends and capital gains.....

The opinions expressed in this commentary are solely those of Jeffrey Miron.
    So I guess we should never cut entitlement programs like welfare--or the classic high school level complaint mantra of dopes regarding "foreign aidz!"--because these programs are also a relative pittance in spending when compared to things like the Pentagon?
    Last edited by Nickdfresh; 08-16-2011 at 06:17 PM.

Rice Cooker
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

The first problem with Buffett's view is that the number of super-rich is too small for higher rates to make much difference to our budget problems.

In 2009, the income earned by the 236,833 taxpayers with more than $1 million in adjusted gross income was about $727 billion. Imposing a 10% surcharge on this income would generate at most $73 billion in new revenue -- only about 2% of federal spending. And $73 billion is optimistic; the super-rich will avoid or evade much of the surcharge, significantly lowering its yield.

Yeah that's what I thought.
    seriously, what part about, "it's not the only part of the solution" do you not get?

by your logic, we shouldn't cut any spending under several hundred billion because it's just a drop in the bucket, right?

Rice Cooker
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Nickdfresh View Post
    So I guess we should never cut entitlement programs like welfare--or the classic high school level complaint mantra of dopes regarding "foreign aidz!"--because these programs are also a relative pittance in spending when compared to things like the Pentagon?
    ha, you lousy sonofabitch. i didn't read yours before posting. in retrospect, the knuckleboner simply says, "ditto."

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:17 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,015 Times in 3,250 Posts

Blog Entries
    I own one share of Berkshire Hathaway. I might keep that one for a while.

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

FAUX now thinks Buffett is a "socialist"

The true JBC
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    11-14-2018 @ 03:27 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,298 Times in 1,690 Posts

Love what Jon Stewart said........‎"'Is Warren Buffett a socialist?' You really have no f**kin' clue what socialism is, do you?"

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kwame k View Post
    Love what Jon Stewart said........‎"'Is Warren Buffett a socialist?' You really have no f**kin' clue what socialism is, do you?"
    <div style="background-color:#000000;width:520px;"><div style="padding:4px;"><embed src="http://media.mtvnservices.com/mgid:cms:video:thedailyshow.com:394982" width="512" height="288" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullScreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" base="." flashVars=""></embed><p style="text-align:left;background-color:#FFFFFF;padding:4px;margin-top:4px;margin-bottom:0px;font-family:Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:12px;"><b><a href="http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/thu-august-18-2011/world-of-class-warfare---warren-buffett-vs--wealthy-conservatives">The Daily Show - World of Class Warfare - Warren Buffett vs. Wealthy Conservatives</a></b><br/>Get More: <a href='http://www.thedailyshow.com/full-episodes/'>Daily Show Full Episodes</a>,<a href='http://www.indecisionforever.com/'>Political Humor & Satire Blog</a>,<a href='http://www.facebook.com/thedailyshow'>The Daily Show on Facebook</a></p></div></div>

Damn shame that Jon & Steven Colbert are off the air for the next two weeks. They have had so much great material to work with lately

22. Thanked FORD for this KICKASS post:

kwame k (08-20-2011)

Thread Information