Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    04-16-2013 @ 11:32 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Original line-up of Black Sabbath have reformed

http://metaltalk.net/news/2010882.php

The original line-up of Black Sabbath have reformed and have begun rehearsing for a forthcoming tour and possible new album.

While the MetalTalk.net troops converged on Bloodstock Festival, the spies went further afield to find Bill Ward and Geezer Butler lurking around in another part of the Midlands and today, we bring you our best ever exclusive and can tell you first that the original Black Sabbath line-up have reunited.

A decision was made fourteen days ago and this morning (Monday 15th August), Ozzy Osbourne, Tony Iommi, Geezer ('it will never happen') Butler, and Bill Ward gathered in their secret rehearsal studio and began the process of putting the show back on the road.

Much, much more to follow on this story. For now, the original line-up of Black Sabbath have reformed and will be back in action very soon...
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    12-27-2016 @ 08:33 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,785 Times in 1,252 Posts

From blabbermouth

_____________________________________-

It's Official: Reunited Original Lineup Of BLACK SABBATH Working On New Album - Aug. 16, 2011

BLACK SABBATH guitarist Tony Iommi has confirmed to Birmingham Mail that the band's original lineup has reunited and is rehearsing for a tour and new studio album.

Iommi and singer Ozzy Osbourne wrote new material in June for a record that will be released next year.

"We're really looking forward to it and I think the stuff we've been writing is really good," said Iommi. "It's more back to the old original stuff."

He added that the reunion has been kept under wraps for some time.

"It's all been very hush-hush. Ozzy's been the worst at trying to hold it back. He's doing a lot of TV and he's being asked stuff about a reunion and he's going, 'Well, I never say never.' He told me, 'I don't know what to say."

Iommi told the Birmingham Mail that his only concern about a reunion of BLACK SABBATH's original lineup was the health of drummer Bill Ward who in 1998 suffered a heart attack.

"He hasn't been 100 percent. He had an operation a few months ago, so we'll see how he is."

Ozzy was asked by QMI Agency in a recent interview why the four members of SABBATH couldn't seem to agree on playing together again. Ozzy replied, "I haven't got a clue. If they want to call me, they can call me. I never say never. If it works, fine. If it don't, I'll move on. It ain't the end of the world. I ain't gonna get a box of Kleenex and cry my eyes out for the rest of my life."

Ozzy added, "I would love to do a great album with BLACK SABBATH. I would love to get the credit we so roundly deserve. At the same time, the pressure would be really intense. I could go tomorrow and make an album with them, but it wouldn't necessarily be something I would be proud of."

The original SABBATH lineup has not toured together since summer 2005, and last convened for their induction into the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame in early 2006.

SABBATH did try to record a new album 12 years ago, their first since 1978, but abandoned the attempt after just a couple of songs.

Osbourne and Iommi last year amicably resolved their problems over the ownership of the BLACK SABBATH name and court proceedings in New York were discontinued.

Ozzy filed a lawsuit against Iommi in May 2009, claiming that Iommi illegally took sole ownership of the band's name in a filing with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office.

Osbourne sued Iommi for a 50 percent interest in the "Black Sabbath" trademark, along with a portion of Iommi's profits from use of the name.

The Manhattan federal court suit also charged that Osbourne's "signature lead vocals" are largely responsible for the band's "extraordinary success," noting that its popularity plummeted during his absence from 1980 through 1996.

Lawyer Andrew DeVore argued that Osbourne signed away all his rights to the BLACK SABBATH trademark after he quit the band in 1979.

Osbourne's lawyer, Howard Shire, called that agreement a "red herring" that was "repudiated" when the singer rejoined in 1997 and took over "quality control" of the band's merchandise, tours and recordings.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I think this will be underwhelming. As much as the latter work with Dio was surprisingly good, I just don't think the stuff with Ozzy will be able to meet expectations.

The songs they did in '97 were utter dogshit.

Puts the ass in Class
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    09-23-2017 @ 12:50 PM
    Where the wind comes sweeping down the plains
    Status
    Thanks

I take it a Wylde-less Ozzy hasn't done well and is seeking a monetary increase in Sabbath. Who cares really.

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I doubt it's about money: Ozzy could probably make more on his own tour because he'd be taking a majoirty %.

Plus, 'Scream' was very well received by the critics - it's not saying much, but it is easily his best record since 'No Rest For the Wicked' (i.e. better than most of Wylde-era work).

They're all multi-millionaires, so I guess at this stage its just a case of whether they can be bothered to deal with one another and a 'now or never' mentality.

Rock N Roll Outlaw
    Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

2012 and The Return Of Black Sabbath, Hmmmmm.....,

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:31 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,281 Times in 4,711 Posts

Not surprised at all if they do another tour, but I'll believe there's an album when I hear it. I just hope they can do something better than "Psycho Man" and "Selling My Soul".

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-28-2024 @ 09:22 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,517 Times in 2,422 Posts

Frankly, not concerned with the new stuff at all...

But I have to admit, I saw them in concert when they reunited in '99, and the atmosphere in that crowd was amazing... It was like, well, what WOULD have been if MA were back....

Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    11-16-2021 @ 10:37 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Listened to the first Sabbath album a few days ago... fucking amazing!

10. Thanked Mr Walker for this KICKASS post:

kissfan1976 (08-16-2011)

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:31 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,281 Times in 4,711 Posts

Sabbath is another one of those cases where the first 6 albums are all you ever really need.

12. 2 users say thank you to FORD for this KICKASS post:

kissfan1976 (08-16-2011),Matt White (10-26-2011)

Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    08-17-2021 @ 02:53 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Techincal Ecstasy was pretty bad!

Puts the ass in Class
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    09-23-2017 @ 12:50 PM
    Where the wind comes sweeping down the plains
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by binnie View Post
    I doubt it's about money: Ozzy could probably make more on his own tour because he'd be taking a majoirty %.
    EVERYTHING with Sharon is about money. They probably would stand to somehow make more or she wouldn't do it. But I guess since he has no new album on his own to support, this would give them a chance to go back out and make some dough. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Rock N Roll Outlaw
    Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Tony Iommi Denies Reunion Talk, calling it "absolute nonsense"
    The net has been abuzz the last 24 hours with a ton of reunion talk of Mk I Black Sabbath. It's all mostly fueled on an article from the Birmingham Mail newspaper where Tony Iommi reported to have talked about a reunion, etc... There were no official statements on the matter.

Until now.

Tony Iommi just issued this statement on his site (which is overloaded at the moment, as has been mine). Check this:

Black Sabbath Re-Union Speculation 16th August 2011
    Black Sabbath Re-Union

I'm saddened that a Birmingham journalist whom I trusted has chosen this point in time to take a conversation we had back in June and make it sound like we spoke yesterday about a Black Sabbath reunion.

At the time I was supporting the Home of Metal exhibition was merely speculating shooting the breeze on something all of us get asked constantly "Are you getting back together?"

Thanks to the internet it's now gone round the world as some sort of "official" statement on my part, absolute nonsense. I hope he's enjoyed his moment of glory, he won't have another at my expense.

To my old pals, Ozzy, Geezer and Bill, sorry about this, I should have known better.

All the best,Tony

Open 8am-5pm M-F
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    01-08-2015 @ 01:06 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kissfan1976 View Post
    Tony Iommi Denies Reunion Talk, calling it "absolute nonsense"
    The net has been abuzz the last 24 hours with a ton of reunion talk of Mk I Black Sabbath. It's all mostly fueled on an article from the Birmingham Mail newspaper where Tony Iommi reported to have talked about a reunion, etc... There were no official statements on the matter.

Until now.

Tony Iommi just issued this statement on his site (which is overloaded at the moment, as has been mine). Check this:

Black Sabbath Re-Union Speculation 16th August 2011
    Black Sabbath Re-Union

I'm saddened that a Birmingham journalist whom I trusted has chosen this point in time to take a conversation we had back in June and make it sound like we spoke yesterday about a Black Sabbath reunion.

At the time I was supporting the Home of Metal exhibition was merely speculating shooting the breeze on something all of us get asked constantly "Are you getting back together?"

Thanks to the internet it's now gone round the world as some sort of "official" statement on my part, absolute nonsense. I hope he's enjoyed his moment of glory, he won't have another at my expense.

To my old pals, Ozzy, Geezer and Bill, sorry about this, I should have known better.

All the best,Tony
    Who do these guys think they are? Van Halen?

Rock God
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-03-2024 @ 04:13 AM
    A Small Dive in a trashy neighborhood somewhere on Fornax 9
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,616 Times in 1,647 Posts

I know. Here is the new twist:

Van Halen used to have a rep for hiring sucky/lame bands to open for them back in the early 80s. Or at least it always seemed whoever opened for them would totally suck.

Twist it around, so it is like an even earlier tour: 1978!

So they could do a big reunion tour with two bands who toured together before. Recreate all the original stuff. Their original stage clothes. Their original gear.

Van Halen could open for Black Sabbath every night of the tour, and blow them off the stage much like they did in 1978, lol.

The ORIGINAL lineup with Mike. THE ONLY TRUE BASSPLAYER OF VAN HALEN!

Black Sabbath could play their standard set, while Ozzy would stumble over to the mic and yell "LET'S GO FUCKING CRAZY! at the 4,000 fans left in the arena....

And an entirely new generation of fans could tell their grandkids someday: "Goddammit! I saw Van Halen blow Black Sabbath away in 2012!!! What you kids listen to these days ain't shit!..."
    Last edited by Hardrock69; 08-16-2011 at 09:14 PM.

18. Thanked Hardrock69 for this KICKASS post:

kissfan1976 (08-17-2011)

FUTUE TE IPSUM
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    10-31-2013 @ 07:41 PM
    Status
    Thanks

I have to be honest, paying a fortune to see a bunch of old guys who are well past their best doesn't interest me at all.

Yes, the are legends, but it's over.

As for a new album?

No thanks.

20. Thanked Mr Badguy for this KICKASS post:

tojoro (08-18-2011)

THE SHOWSTOPPA
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    03-18-2024 @ 11:26 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Well, this "official news" got smacked pretty quickly, eh?

The original Sabs best years are behind them. Time to move on.

22. Thanked Vinnie Velvet for this KICKASS post:

Mr Badguy (08-18-2011)

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:15 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,267 Times in 1,488 Posts

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Badguy View Post
    I have to be honest, paying a fortune to see a bunch of old guys who are well past their best doesn't interest me at all.

Yes, the are legends, but it's over.

As for a new album?

No thanks.
    Frankly, Iommi and Butler put together such a great reunion with Dio (at least in terms of delivering excellent live performances) several years back that I seriously doubt anything Ozzy and Ward would bring to the table these days would mean much by way of comparison.

It's not like the original four would get together in some shitty, burnt-out factory in Birmingham, and create new tunes purely for the sake of making music.

Plus, these guys already reunited once already.

I mean, much of the stuff they did with Ozzy WAS pure brilliance. Fantastic work with Dio as well. Hell, even the one-off with Gillan had moments of greatness. Nothing will ever tarnish that output. However, the idea that if one only gets the members of the "best" or classic lineup of whatever band back together...that this in and of itself will reslut in rekindling the old magic...the track record for this actually happening is usually quite the opposite.

Atomic Jerk
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    09-12-2020 @ 06:51 AM
    Status
    Thanks

This is one of the only big bands I have yet to see. Please don't skip Florida like everyone else does these days....

Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

TONY IOMMI Confirms Original BLACK SABBATH Lineup Rehearsed For First Time In Years - Oct. 21, 2011
    Guitarist Tony Iommi has told U.K.'s Terrorizer magazine that the four original members of BLACK SABBATH recently got together in a rehearsal room for the first time in years, adding, "[We] played some of the old stuff and to be together again was great. We're all on good terms and we're at a stage where we can play together again. It would be good if we could and I suppose it's the closest it's been to be able to do that. It could happen!"

Singer Ozzy Osbourne told Billboard.com last week that a reunion of the original BLACK SABBATH lineup was a "very, very strong possibility." He added, "It's in the very early stages, so we haven't recorded anything yet. If it works out, it'll work out. If it doesn't, I'll keep doing my thing."

The Birmingham Mail reported in August that the original SABBATH lineup — Ozzy, Iommi, bassist Geezer Butler and drummer Bill Ward — had begun rehearsing and writing music in secret for a new album. The Mail based its story around remarks made by Iommi, who later said the comments were off the record and taken out of context. Iommi's manager, however, did not deny that a reunion was underway.

Speculation about a reunion was fueled later that month when Ozzy skipped the Hollywood premiere of the documentary about his life, "God Bless Ozzy Osbourne". Both his son Jack and daughter Kelly hinted at the time that their dad was "doing something that is very, very exciting."

Perpetually Befuddled
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-01-2017 @ 12:20 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,052 Times in 2,583 Posts

Enough, already! Two months ago, Iommi denied this was happening, calling it "absolute nonsense." Great. Shit or get off the pot, but most of all, shut the fuck up until then, Tony.

27. Thanked chefcraig for this KICKASS post:

Little Texan (10-23-2011)

Use my hand, I won't look
    ____Van Fuckin' Halen____
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    10-27-2020 @ 08:17 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,707 Times in 1,035 Posts

I hear VH is in the studio... just sayin...

Open 8am-5pm M-F
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    01-08-2015 @ 01:06 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Walker View Post
    TONY IOMMI Confirms Original BLACK SABBATH Lineup Rehearsed For First Time In Years - Oct. 21, 2011
    Guitarist Tony Iommi has told U.K.'s Terrorizer magazine that the four original members of BLACK SABBATH recently got together in a rehearsal room for the first time in years, adding, "[We] played some of the old stuff and to be together again was great. We're all on good terms and we're at a stage where we can play together again. It would be good if we could and I suppose it's the closest it's been to be able to do that. It could happen!"

Singer Ozzy Osbourne told Billboard.com last week that a reunion of the original BLACK SABBATH lineup was a "very, very strong possibility." He added, "It's in the very early stages, so we haven't recorded anything yet. If it works out, it'll work out. If it doesn't, I'll keep doing my thing."

The Birmingham Mail reported in August that the original SABBATH lineup — Ozzy, Iommi, bassist Geezer Butler and drummer Bill Ward — had begun rehearsing and writing music in secret for a new album. The Mail based its story around remarks made by Iommi, who later said the comments were off the record and taken out of context. Iommi's manager, however, did not deny that a reunion was underway.

Speculation about a reunion was fueled later that month when Ozzy skipped the Hollywood premiere of the documentary about his life, "God Bless Ozzy Osbourne". Both his son Jack and daughter Kelly hinted at the time that their dad was "doing something that is very, very exciting."
    I read something similar weeks ago. It would be great if it were treu and I see no reason to think it's not at this point.

Knows what that'll ge'her
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    07-15-2018 @ 10:55 AM
    Status
    Thanks

I have every Sabbath album. From Black Sabbath to Seventh Star to that abomination Forbidden, to Devil You Know. While I was stoked as hell for the Dio reunion and album (which delivered the goods) I really am done with the Ozzy-Sab. They did so much great stuff that it can never be touched. I think that the band still had work to do with RJD, and that's why the album was good. A reunited Sabbath album will likely be disappointing as hell. I'll buy it of course if it happens, and that's probably why it will happen. $$$$$$$

31. Thanked Mr. Vengeance for this KICKASS post:

binnie (10-22-2011)

Running with myself
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    06-13-2016 @ 11:12 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Here's my final word are the subject: Either deliver a damned reunion, or buy back your souls, because right now they aren't doing shit for Hell's bottom line.

33. 2 users say thank you to Satan for this KICKASS post:

Mr Badguy (10-23-2011),SunisinuS (10-22-2011)

FUTUE TE IPSUM
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    10-31-2013 @ 07:41 PM
    Status
    Thanks

As much as everyone thinks a Sabbath album wouldn't be good because of Ozzy, in reality it's down to Tony.

If he doesn't come up with the riffs, the thing will be sunk before Ozzy sings a note.

ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    04-12-2014 @ 11:20 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,202 Times in 757 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Badguy View Post
    If he doesn't come up with the riffs, the thing will be sunk before Ozzy sings a note.
    Absolutely. It comes down to the quality of the tunes. My problem with Ozzy is that he can't hit stuff like Hole in the Sky which frankly makes me wonder why the Asbury Park concert wasn't released officially as it really delivered.

(the following isn't Asbury Park but there's video at least)

36. Thanked ThrillsNSpills for this KICKASS post:

Mr Badguy (10-24-2011)

Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Rumour - BLACK SABBATH, JUDAS PRIEST, MOTÖRHEAD To Tour Together?
    Hot Flashes
    Posted on Tuesday, October 25, 2011 at 10:04:31 EST

While the original members of BLACK SABBATH - guitarist Tony Iommi, singer Ozzy Osbourne, bassist Geezer Butler and drummer Bill Ward - appear to be reuniting with one rehearsal already in the can, there's talk that a tour will happen in early 2012. According to rumours passed along to BraveWords.com, the godfathers of heavy metal will be teaming up with fellow UK metal gods JUDAS PRIEST and the legendary MOTÖRHEAD for a tour of North America in the spring, before Sabbath heads over to Europe for the summer festival season in June/July. More news as it develops. No other details are available at this time. Once again, these should be taken as rumours and have not been confirmed by band management.

Running with myself
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    06-13-2016 @ 11:12 AM
    Status
    Thanks

I thought Priest was calling it quits, after the scab guitarist tour is over?

Perpetually Befuddled
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Satan View Post
    Yeah, and I thought both The Who and KISS were going away after their so-called "farewell" tours in 1982 and 2000.

40. Thanked chefcraig for this KICKASS post:

Mr Badguy (10-26-2011)

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 12:31 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,749 Times in 2,061 Posts

Blog Entries
    Looks like Sharon needs a new wing built to her mansion - and she has the right tools to do it.

The Menace Is Loose Again
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    04-08-2015 @ 12:58 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,934 Times in 1,875 Posts

Might be like The Police where they tour for 2 years. Judas Priest still draws huge crowds on their own so as long as they can fill arenas & amphitheaters they should keep it going. Let everyone have a chance to see them one last time.

Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I think they've already backed off on the quitting thing... it turned into the 'no more world tours of this scale anymore farewell tour'. I think Tipton has even mentioned doing a new LP. I mean... what else are these guys gonna do? Open a golf course or something?

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 02:53 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,991 Times in 3,230 Posts

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by chefcraig View Post
    Yeah, and I thought both The Who and KISS were going away after their so-called "farewell" tours in 1982 and 2000.
    I can remember Paul Stanley saying,"This is it. It's better to leave with people saying "why are you going?" than to have them say "why don't you go already?".

I think they just made so much money it was hard to hang it up. According to Gene they average a million dollars a show. I mean that's a lot of cow sperm or money bag hats.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:43 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,347 Times in 6,031 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Walker View Post
    I think they've already backed off on the quitting thing... it turned into the 'no more world tours of this scale anymore farewell tour'. I think Tipton has even mentioned doing a new LP.
    A big enough 'roll eyes' smiley doesn't exist...

I wish Van Halen would do a farewell tour so that we would know that they were planing on working together for the next 10 years.

Rock N Roll Outlaw
    Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Black Sabbath To Hold Press Conference On 11/11/11

Black Sabbath are holding a press conference to make a “special announcement” on November 11, at 11:11 a.m., no less, in Los Angeles. It will be held at the Whisky A Go Go , where the band made its Los Angeles debut 41 years ago. All four original members—Ozzy Osbourne, Tony Iommi, Geezer Butler, and Bill Ward—will be present and it will be hosted by Henry Rollins.
    Last edited by kissfan1976; 11-04-2011 at 02:08 PM.

THE SHOWSTOPPA
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    03-18-2024 @ 11:26 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kissfan1976 View Post
    [IMG]//http://www.revolvermag.com/news/black-sabbath-post-teaser%e2%80%a6what-does-it-mean.html[/IMG]
    Black Sabbath To Hold Press Conference On 11/11/11

Black Sabbath are holding a press conference to make a “special announcement” on November 11, at 11:11 a.m., no less, in Los Angeles. It will be held at the Whisky A Go Go , where the band made its Los Angeles debut 41 years ago. All four original members—Ozzy Osbourne, Tony Iommi, Geezer Butler, and Bill Ward—will be present and it will be hosted by Henry Rollins.
    Is this bullshit?

Where is this from?

Perpetually Befuddled
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Vinnie Velvet View Post
    Is this bullshit?

Where is this from?
    It is being reported at something called Noisecreep.

Rock N Roll Outlaw
    Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Rock N Roll Outlaw
    Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

The Original Sabs Are Back!!

BLACK SABBATH
    REUNITES TO RECORD FIRST NEW STUDIO ALBUM IN 33 YEARS
    AND LAUNCH MASSIVE WORLD TOUR IN 2012

OZZY OSBOURNE, TONY IOMMI, GEEZER BUTLER AND BILL WARD
    UNVEIL PLANS ON 11/11/11
    AT A LOS ANGELES PRESS CONFERENCE
    AT THE WHISKY A GO-GO,
    WHERE THE BAND PERFORMED THEIR FIRST LOS ANGELES DATE EXACTLY 41 YEARS AGO

After much speculation, the original four members of BLACK SABBATH--OZZY OSBOURNE (vocals), TONY IOMMI (guitar), GEEZER BUTLER (bass) and BILL WARD (drums)--have reunited to record their first new studio album in 33 years with producer Rick Rubin (seven-time Grammy winner, two of those as Producer of the Year) and to embark on a massive world tour in 2012.

OSBOURNE, IOMMI, BUTLER and WARD as well as Rubin all gathered today on 11/11/11 to announce the news at a Los Angeles press conference at the legendary club, the Whisky A Go-Go, the site of the groundbreaking and influential band’s first L.A. concert exactly 41 years ago (Nov 11, 1970). The event was hosted by the revered musical and spoken word artist Henry Rollins who has said that “Any band worth their weight in napalm wishes they had written ‘War Pigs.’”

Selling over 70 million albums together, the Grammy-winning, Rock and Roll Hall of Fame inductees have signed a new record deal worldwide with Vertigo and Vertigo/ Universal Republic in the U.S., the band’s original label. BLACK SABBATH is now in the studio recording the as-yet-untitled new album for release in the fall of 2012 (exact date TBA). It will mark their ninth studio album together and their first since 1978’s Never Say Die!

Next summer, BLACK SABBATH will headline the mammoth multi-day UK Download Festival in the U.K. on June 10. The new album will then be supported with a worldwide headline arena tour (dates TBA).

BLACK SABBATH also announced today the launch of www.blacksabbath.com, the first-ever official BLACK SABBATH website for all authorized BLACK SABBATH news. In addition, the band’s online presence will also be supported by social media via Facebook and Twitter--again, marking the band’s first-ever foray into the social media world.

BLACK SABBATH released their self-titled debut album in 1970. “Black Sabbath is credited with creating heavy metal,” according to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. “The success of their first two albums--Black Sabbath and Paranoid--marked a paradigm shift in the world of rock. Not until Black Sabbath upended the music scene did the term ‘heavy metal’ enter the popular vocabulary to describe the denser, more thunderous offshoot of rock over which they presided.” The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame also noted, “…they remain one of the most misunderstood bands in rock history,” adding: “The band’s musicality was generally overlooked, but they possessed an inventiveness and fluency that, in hindsight, makes them seem as much of a progressive-rock band as a heavy-metal one.”

In 1998, BLACK SABBATH released Reunion from their 1997 concerts in Birmingham, England, a two-CD live set that featured two new studio songs. The band has also sporadically reunited for shows in 1999, 2002 and 2004; in 2005, the four performed concerts together when they toured Europe and then headlined the 10th anniversary of Osbourne’s namesake festival OZZfest. Also in 2005, they were inducted into the UK Music Hall of Fame by Brian May of Queen. This was followed by their induction in 2006 into the U.S. Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, an honor bestowed on them by Metallica’s James Hetfield and Lars Ulrich.

Thread Information