Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    01-08-2015 @ 01:06 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Talking NASCAR leader loses license for 128 mph joy ride

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2011/...html?tag=stack

(AP) STATESVILLE, North Carolina - NASCAR points leader Kyle Busch lost his driver's license for 45 days on Tuesday for driving 128 mph on a road close to a day-care center and church in a car worth nearly $400,000. His lawyer said his client was not treated "like any other citizen."

Busch, who doesn't need a license to compete in NASCAR, also was fined $1,000, sentenced to 30 hours of community service and put on one year of unsupervised probation. He pleaded guilty to speeding and no contest to reckless and careless driving in North Carolina District Court.

Busch addressed the court before his sentencing, apologizing again for driving 128 mph in a 45 mph zone in a bright yellow 2012 Lexus on May 24.

"I think you'll be different in the future," District Court Judge H. Thomas Church said.

"I sure will, your honor," Busch replied.

Busch and his wife, Samantha, were in the car when he was pulled over on a two-lane road in an area near a subdivision, a day-care center and a church. The hand-built LFA sports car was on loan to Busch from Lexus for a 24-hour test drive.

Busch attorney Cliff Homesley argued that his client wasn't being treated the same as other people in similar circumstances, citing a July case of a 21-year-old convicted felon who was caught doing 128 mph and received a $300 fine and no loss of license.

"In 25 years of practicing law I've never seen someone not being offered better than this," Homesley argued before the court. "All I am asking is to treat Kyle Busch like any other citizen that appears before the court."

Homesley, calling Busch one of the best drivers in the world, said: "He had full control of that vehicle at all times.

"That automobile in his hands was like a scalpel in the hands of a surgeon. Not a knife in the hands of a 5-year-old."

Busch is coming off his Sprint Cup series-best fourth victory at Michigan on Sunday, and he holds a 10-point lead over five-time defending NASCAR champion Jimmie Johnson in the standings. His next scheduled race is Wednesday's Trucks Series event at Bristol, where he's won the last five races spanning NASCAR's top three national series.

"This is closure. That certainly was what we were looking for in this case," Busch said outside the court. "We've had a lot of people stand behind me and we've gone through this is as diligent as we could, as respectful as we could, and that's why I am here today in person to do it myself and to accept responsibility for my actions.

"Today's done. We move on to tomorrow and try to go win a truck race at Bristol."

Busch spoke only briefly outside court, where a hot dog vendor was set up roughly 100 feet away offering the "128 mph special." Busch headed in opposite direction of the stand as he left with his attorney.

In court, Homesley admitted Busch passed three different patrol cars following one another as the deputies headed to lunch. The first clocked him at 128 mph, the second clocked him at 79 and the third at 59 — numbers that proved Busch was in control of the car and able to slow it down quickly.

Busch did tell the deputy who pulled him over the Lexus was "just a toy," a remark he backed away from while apologizing for the incident in in a media session two days later.

"I'm certainly sorry that it happened," he said. "It wasn't a toy, it's a high-performance vehicle. It should be driven with caution. Obviously, I didn't have caution and I had a lack of judgment.

"There's probably reason why on the TV commercials that they always show at the bottom, `Professional driver, closed course.' Mine was not that. Again, I apologize sincerely. All I can do is make sure it doesn't happen again."

Busch will do his community service with the teen safe-driving program B.R.A.K.E.S., which was developed by drag racer Doug Herbert.

Herbert's two sons were killed in a 2008 accident attributed to speeding, and the drag racer established the "Be Responsible And Keep Everyone Safe" program to teach teenagers safety behind the wheel.

Busch agreed to sponsor 300 students in the program, as well as participate in some of the sessions. He'll have to do at least 30 hours as part of his sentence.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Perpetually Befuddled
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-01-2017 @ 12:20 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,052 Times in 2,583 Posts

Both Kyle and his brother Kurt are two of the biggest hosers in NASCAR. Yet despite one or two other nitwits getting into scuffles during and after races each week, they are about the only reliable source for entertainment in the sport these days. It sure isn't the racing itself, which has become so nondescript and cookie-cutter-like that watching a telecast from beginning to end is utter masochism. And the announcers certainly don't help. How many times can you listen to someone describe a pit stop ("OK, they are putting four tires on Jimmy Johnson's car, they clean the grill, fill it with gas and he's gone!") without nodding off? Come to think of it, the most excitement seems to come when no one is sure if the lead cars have enough fuel to make it to the end. Wow, the suspense is nothing short of spine-tingling.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Fear the Elf
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    08-29-2021 @ 06:13 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Johnson and the chase have sapped a lot of the energy out of the sport for me.

If Nascar was smart, they'd go back to the old system and just tweak it so the big races are worth more in points (Dayona being the Ultimate Crown)

And you know what? it's great to have CHARACTERS involved in racing. Fucking A. Don't punish those that bring excitement to the sport via being Dicks, celebrate it like you did in the old days

Heroes and Villians are what made the sport into what it is today. Not fucking Jimmie Johnson winning another fucking title.

Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    10-11-2020 @ 03:12 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Ha Ha. Fucking pathetic shitkickers

The Australian.
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    10-07-2023 @ 07:35 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,102 Times in 823 Posts

fantastic! our motorsport experts are legion. go marcos.

Thread Information