DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    06-02-2022 @ 11:33 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,377 Times in 1,853 Posts

my pinchie pooped on me
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:17 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,281 Times in 4,711 Posts

KTVA reporter quits on-air, reveals herself as owner of Alaska Cannabis Club

Laurel Andrews
    September 21, 2014

Reporter Charlo Greene quit on-air during KTVA-TV's 10 p.m. newscast Sunday, revealing herself as the owner of the medical marijuana business Alaska Cannabis Club and telling viewers that she would be using all of her energy to fight for legalizing marijuana in Alaska.

Greene had reported on the Alaska Cannabis Club during Sunday night’s broadcast, without revealing her connection to it. At the end of the report, during a live shot, she announced that she was the club's owner and would be quitting.

“Now everything you've heard is why I, the actual owner of the Alaska Cannabis Club, will be dedicating all of my energy toward fighting for freedom and fairness, which begins with legalizing marijuana here in Alaska," she said. "And as for this job, well, not that I have a choice but, fuck it, I quit.”

And with that, she walked off camera.

Alaska Cannabis Club had urged its Facebook followers to tune in to the broadcast Sunday evening.

Reached later, Greene said KTVA had no idea she was going to quit, or that she was connected to the Alaska Cannabis Club.

Asked why she quit in such a dramatic way, she said, "Because I wanted to draw attention to this issue. And the issue is medical marijuana. Ballot Measure 2 is a way to make medical marijuana real ... most patients didn’t know the state didn’t set up the framework to get patients their medicine."

"If I offended anyone, I apologize, but I’m not sorry for the choice that I made," she said.

In a statement posted on KTVA's Facebook page Sunday night, news director Bert Rudman said, "We sincerely apologize for the inappropriate language used by a KTVA reporter during her live presentation on the air tonight. The employee has been terminated."

Started in April, the Alaska Cannabis Club connects medical marijuana cardholders with other cardholders who are growing cannabis. Growers are offered "donations" as reimbursement for the costs of growing marijuana, the club said in an interview with Alaska Dispatch News in August. The club said it hopes to increase access to medical marijuana patients, despite operating in a legal gray area within Alaska's murky medical marijuana laws.

Video clips of the broadcast were quickly uploaded to YouTube and shared on Reddit Sunday night.

Marijuana legalization opposition group “Big Marijuana. Big Mistake. Vote No on 2” posted on its Twitter page “#KTVA reporter covering ballot measure 2 loses her mind, confesses to being an owner of the cannabis club and quits while on the air.”

Alaska voters will decide on Nov. 4 whether to legalize recreational use of pot in the state, as Colorado and Washington have.
    Contact Laurel Andrews at laurel@alaskadispatch.com, Google+ or Twitter

Usually, I despise the practice of recording TV videos on your cell phone and posting the low resolution crap online, but in this case, it's actually worth watching......

Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Willie Nelson Becomes Maureen Dowd's 'Marijuana Miyagi'

By Kory Grow | September 22, 2014

In his Rolling Stone cover story, Willie Nelson said that New York Times columnist Maureen Dowd was welcome on his bus to get high properly "anytime" after reading her account of a bad experience with a marijuana-infused candy bar. Dowd took him up on the offer and penned her Sunday Review op-ed column about how welcoming and enlightening Nelson was, calling him her "marijuana Miyagi."

The columnist met with Nelson before his recent concert at Washington, D.C.'s 9:30 Club, where he invited her onto his tour bus, the Honeysuckle Rose. After she got over her nerves ("The 81-year-old Redheaded Stranger is an icon," she wrote, "one of America's top songwriters and, as Rolling Stone said, 'a hippie's hippie and a redneck's redneck'"), she asked him what she should know about legal pot so she does not have a repeat episode.

"The same thing that happened to you happened to me one or two times when I was not aware of how much strength was in whatever I was eating," Nelson told her. "One time, I ate a bunch of cookies that, I knew they were laced but I didn't worry about it. I just wanted to see what it would do, and I overdid it, naturally, and I was laying there, and it felt like the flesh was falling off my bones.

"Honestly, I don't do edibles," he continued. "I'd rather do it the old-fashioned way, because I don't enjoy the high that the body gets. Although I realize there's a lot of other people who have to have it that way, like the children that they're bringing to Colorado right now for medical treatments. Those kids can't smoke. So for those people, God bless 'em, we're for it."

"I thought the article was great," Nelson tells Rolling Stone. "Pretty funny."

In his Rolling Stone interview, Nelson had said that, after Dowd's bad trip, "maybe she'll read the label now." In her column, Dowd wrote, "Nelson humored me as I also pointed out that the labels last winter did not feature the information that would have saved me from my night of dread." (New labeling laws have since been passed in both of the states where weed is legal, Colorado and Washington.)

Elsewhere in the column, Nelson explained why he had started smoking weed in the first place. "I found out that pot is the best thing for me because I needed something to slow me down a little bit," Nelson told Dowd. Referring to his past as a "mean drunk," to use Dowd's phrasing, he also said that if he had continued to drink heavily, "there's no telling how many people I would have killed by now."

Additionally, the country singer shrugged off California Governor Jerry Brown's claim that America's superiority would be threatened if everyone indulged in marijuana and humored a question about a time when he allegedly smoked a joint on the roof of the White House, during the Carter administration. "It happened a long time ago," he said. "I'm sure it happened."

As for possibly smoking pot in the Lincoln bedroom, Nelson told Dowd, "I wouldn't do anything Lincoln would have done."

" Littering and...."
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-06-2024 @ 06:43 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Fuck it..I quit

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Charlo Greene explains why she said "Fuck It" and walked off the set.....

6. Thanked FORD for this KICKASS post:

Fairwrning (09-23-2014)

your last loose end
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:00 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,335 Times in 1,435 Posts

Now, if she's lucky, she can be a clerk at a WaWa. How ultra stupid.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 02:53 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,991 Times in 3,230 Posts

Blog Entries
    I say everyone go on strike and shut the fucking world down!

" Littering and...."
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-06-2024 @ 06:43 PM
    Status
    Thanks

I kinda like it..sounds like she was forced to quit or be fired..so she did it without going quietly..

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:40 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,562 Times in 3,449 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DLR Bridge View Post
    Now, if she's lucky, she can be a clerk at a WaWa. How ultra stupid.
    I think she owns a pot shop somewhere...

your last loose end
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:00 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,335 Times in 1,435 Posts

Didn't realize. Just figured burning a bridge and tarnishing yourself for future employment was something only lottery winners should do.

Quote King™
    Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    10-08-2020 @ 05:24 PM
    Status
    Thanks

I believe the issue is that she was reporting on or had reported on stories that included reference or feature of the shop she has an ownership interest in and did not disclose or recuse herself.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DLR Bridge View Post
    Didn't realize. Just figured burning a bridge and tarnishing yourself for future employment was something only lottery winners should do.
    If she plans to make a future living selling legal pot what she did will make her a big hero with her potential customers. Hey she took a stand for what she believes in. At least she's not a sheep like most people and because we have so many sheep it's why the citizens get rolled by the big corporate machine. Why? Because they are sheep and the man knows it.

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:57 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,750 Times in 2,061 Posts

Blog Entries
    More CNN anti-weed propaganda.

Sheep Pen noob
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    10-02-2021 @ 02:52 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,941 Times in 2,103 Posts

Weed makes you swear ... Proof right there

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by VetteLS5 View Post
    I believe the issue is that she was reporting on or had reported on stories that included reference or feature of the shop she has an ownership interest in and did not disclose or recuse herself.
    That is entirely possible, since she used a different name on the air than she did as the owner of the cannabis club. Maybe somebody at the TV station was curious why she (as a reporter) couldn't land an interview with the owner, despite having no apparent problems getting access to the business otherwise?

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Hagar Fans Eat £4,000 worth of weed in the UK

Sheep munch through £4,000 of cannabis plants dumped in their field
    The animals accidental feast on the class B drug at Surrey farm

Uhhhhh.... like baaaaaaaaaaa, maaaaaaaaan!

By Nicola Fifield11:33AM BST 18 Oct 2014

A flock of sheep were left feeling rather woolly-headed after accidentally munching on thousands of pounds worth of cannabis plants.
    The animals began stumbling about after getting high on seven bags of the intoxicating plant, which had been dumped in their field.
    Police won’t be taking action against the sheep for tucking into their illegal meal, but are determined to catch the “irresponsible” crooks who grew and discarded the class B drug.
    The £4,000 hoard of cannabis plants, each about 3ft tall, was found by the flock at the edge of Fanny’s Farm in Merstham, Surrey.
    Farm shop manager Nellie Budd said: "My sheep being inquisitive had an interesting feast on it. They weren't quite on their backs with legs in the air but they probably had the munchies.

"They haven't had any other side effects but I'll tell you about the meat next week.
    "At first I thought it was someone's hedgerow rubbish. I went down to collect the bags so the sheep weren't eating black plastic.
    "When I got there I realised it was a form of herbal cannabis plant. They were very strong in scent."
    Investigating officer Detective Constable David Fair said: "It is extremely irresponsible for whoever dumped these illegal plants in this way.
    "We are doing all we can to find out how the drugs came to be at the location and who is responsible for growing and discarding the plants."
    However, bringing the criminals to justice will be a challenge because the sheep chomped their way through quite a lot of the evidence.

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Just in time for Halloween..... Pumpkin Spiced Buds???

Feds Seize 11 Tons of Pumpkin Spiced Marijuana in New York Warehouse
    October 23, 2014

By Adam Braunschweiger

Tipped off by a disgruntled forklift operator, federal agents on Wednesday confiscated 11 tons of pumpkin spiced marijuana and $6 million in cash and coupons at a nondescript Manhattan warehouse. Three men and two women, all wearing cracked skull masks and skeleton costumes, were taken into custody without incident.

U.S. authorities said the marijuana was laced with traditional pumpkin spices like cinnamon, nutmeg and clove, along with other natural and artificial flavors, in addition to unspecified sweeteners, thickeners and thinners. The drug haul, intended for distribution at Halloween parties throughout New York City, has a combined medical, emotional and spiritual value of roughly $23 billion, according to Psychology Today magazine.

Taking a page from the Starbucks and Dairy Queen playbooks, marijuana dealers this autumn have scrambled to satisfy customer demand for flavors both novel and traditional. For example, recently confiscated marijuana menus—or “weed lists”—have included flavors such as Fudge Pecan, Bubble Gum, Caramel Apple, Rhubarb-Strawberry, Oreo Oblivion, White Chocolate Mocha Blast, and Creamy-Dreamy Butterfinger Haze.

In late September, U.S. Customs agents in the Gulf of Mexico intercepted a group of smugglers carrying 900 pounds of Triple Fudge Marshmallow-Toffee Xtreme marijuana. Yet many other flavors got through, according to Ralph Wickersham, deputy director of drug interdiction in the Land of Dixie.

“Demand for these flavors of the month is infinite,” he said. “We could deploy the entire U.S. military in an effort to stop the Oreo Caramel Cheesecake Pot trade and still get nowhere. I think we’re coming around to the belief that it’s idiotic (and I mean really, really stupid) to spend all these resources trying to prevent people from getting high off weed, leaning way back in their sofas, and wiping whipped cream from their lips.”

19. Thanked FORD for this KICKASS post:

Angel (10-29-2014)

Idle No More
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    10-09-2020 @ 08:56 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,591 Times in 1,076 Posts

Yuck. I want my weed to taste like weed...

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Weed is becoming like microbrews. I can't wait for the huckleberry infused buds to come out. I heard the state of Colorado and the DEA were busting growers in that state. Yeah. Legalize it but bust the suppliers. Oh the tangled webs we weave.

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

11 Months After Marijuana Legalization, Here's What's Happening to Mexican Cartels

By Tom McKay December 2, 2014

Legal weed in the United States is undercutting Mexican competition.

With either recreational or medical marijuana legal in more than half of U.S. states, drug cartels south of the border are beginning to find that growing, smuggling and distributing pot is a much less lucrative business.

What's happening: NPR's John Burnett reported from the ground in the northwestern Mexican state of Sinaloa, where drug-related crime is so intense that its coverage is now restricted. One farmer told him that business was not going so well:

"Two or three years ago, a kilogram [2.2 pounds] of marijuana was worth $60 to $90," says Nabor, a 24-year-old pot grower ... "But now they're paying us $30 to $40 a kilo. It's a big difference. If the U.S. continues to legalize pot, they'll run us into the ground."
    If the price slumps to $20 a kilogram, Nabor speculates that the Mexican weed market will collapse. The culprit, Burnett says, is much better domestic weed proudly made in America:

U.S.-grown marijuana - some of it cultivated in high-tech greenhouses - is three or four times more expensive than Mexican marijuana. [High TImes editor Dan Vinkovetsky] says prices for Mexican weed continue to slide because it's so much weaker. He says American cannabis typically has 10% to 20% THC, the ingredient that makes a person high, whereas the THC content of so-called Mexican brick weed is typically 5% to 8%.
    Burnett's findings dovetail an April Washington Post report, which found that drug cartels were instead trying to push cheap heroin after wholesale cannabis prices in Sinaloa crashed from $100 per kilogram five years ago to less than $25. "It's not worth it anymore," longtime marijuana farmer Rodrigo Silla told the Washington Post. "I wish the Americans would stop with this legalization."

The background: As Mic's Coleen Jose previously reported, Mexican drug cartels remain incredibly dangerous, killing on average 12,896 people per year from 2007 to 2013, making them far deadlier than terrorist group Islamic State.

But there's a very simple explanation for all this violence: The illegal drug trade generates more money on an annual basis than the GDP of many individual countries, and Mexican authorities are relatively weak and corrupt. (The recent massacre of 43 Mexican university students by drug cartels likely happened after police handed them off to the criminals for execution.) Drug prices are very difficult to estimate, since no one is actually keeping track of the market, but marijuana is a major revenue stream for drug cartels. This chart from Information Is Beautiful roughly estimates that a square kilometer of marijuana is worth approximately $47.6 million dollars.

Source: David McCandless

Crushing the weed market and cutting off one of its main sources of revenue is essential to destroying Latin American drug cartels. Cocaine is worth more money, but Mexican cartels may ultimately earn more from weed since they don't have to first buy cocaine in bulk from Colombian suppliers.

Why you should care: Legalization in the U.S. won't be a death blow for cartels, who will shift their efforts to pushing other substances or perhaps other ventures entirely (like human smuggling). Western Mexico's Knights Templar cartel, for example, may make most of its money from illegal mining, logging and extortion.

An astonishing 2012 New York Times profile of the El Chapo Guzman organization documented the cartel's amazing, corporate-style complexity, including staff accountants and armies of independent contractors. Drug cartels are complex, dynamic organizations that shift with the times. They're not going away anytime soon.

But marijuana legalization will severely undercut the value of one of their most profitable products. A 2012 study from the Mexican Competitiveness Institute found that U.S. state legalization would wipe out around 30% of the cartels' marijuana market. Another by the RAND Corporation in 2010 speculated that if American weed pushed out cartel-grown pot, the latter's profits from marijuana could plummet by 85%.

If defeating cartels is a priority, than the federal government should ease up marijuana by removing it from the Schedule I category of substances with no known medical purpose (a lie) and allow dispensaries in states where marijuana has been legalized to function normally, instead of taxing them to death. Or Congress could legalize the sale of recreational marijuana, which would deal a far more effective blow to cartels than piecemeal legalization on a state-by-state basis. Considering most Americans now support marijuana legalization, that day might not be far off. But for the nearly 13,000 people a year murdered by the drug trade in Mexico, it's still not soon enough.

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    This is nothing new. Take out the prohibition you take out the crime. As for:
    "If defeating cartels is a priority, than the federal government should ease up marijuana by removing it from the Schedule I category of substances with no known medical purpose (a lie) and allow dispensaries in states where marijuana has been legalized to function normally, instead of taxing them to death."

That is an entirely different animal that has it roots deep in America's ridiculous "War On Drugs" and private-prison-for-profit systems. As long as weed remains a Schedule I, the insanity of locking up people for it and destroying their lives will continue.

24. Thanked Kristy for this KICKASS post:

Angel (12-06-2014)

Banned
    REPENT AND SINS NO MO!

Member No
    Last Online
    11-04-2021 @ 07:27 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,233 Times in 2,449 Posts

Blog Entries
    And if you would stop smoking it and come up for some fresh air, you'd see how much of a dunce you are...

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Yawn....

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ELVIS View Post
    And if you would stop smoking it and come up for some fresh air, you'd see how much of a dunce you are...
    You trollin' for my attention?

28. Thanked Kristy for this KICKASS post:

ashstralia (01-27-2015)

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    New study: weed may promote the growth of brain cells:

"Cannabidiol (CBD), the main non-psychotomimetic component of the plant Cannabis sativa, exerts therapeutically promising effects on human mental health such as inhibition of psychosis, anxiety and depression. However, the mechanistic bases of CBD action are unclear."

Technical research here:
    http://journals.cambridge.org/action...ne&aid=8930251

"Unclear" is promising. Meaning about time valid and non-bias/governmental research done by individuals not associated with big-pharma voodoo tactics.

More promising findings:
    "Apart from the psychotropic compound Δ9-tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), evidence suggests that other non-psychotropic phytocannabinoids are also of potential clinical use. This study aimed at elucidating the effect of major non-THC phytocannabinoids on the fate of adult neural stem progenitor cells (NSPCs), which are an essential component of brain function in health as well as in pathology.

That research here:
    http://www.sciencedirect.com/science...97018613002106

More promising news on how weed may aid in the prevention of Alzheimer's, stroke victims, people with severe head trauma and certain brain cancers.

Way to go weed.

Banned
    REPENT AND SINS NO MO!

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kristy View Post
    New study: weed may promote the growth of brain cells:
    Certainly not in your case...

The true JBC
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    11-14-2018 @ 03:27 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,298 Times in 1,690 Posts

What is pot calling the kettle black, Alex

Banned
    REPENT AND SINS NO MO!

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    What is a dumbass kwame, look in the mirror...

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

roth beer pest
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    06-02-2022 @ 11:33 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,377 Times in 1,853 Posts

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:43 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,347 Times in 6,031 Posts

Amount spent annually in the U.S. on the war on drugs: More than $51,000,000,000

Number of arrests in 2014 in the U.S. for drug law violations: 1,561,231
    Number of these arrests that were for possession only: 1,297,384 (83 percent)
    Number of arrests in 2014 in the U.S. for marijuana law violations: 700,993
    Number of these arrests that were for possession only: 619,809 (88 percent)
    Number of Americans incarcerated in 2014 in federal, state and local prisons and jails: 2,224,400 or 1 in every 111 adults, the highest incarceration rate in the world

Proportion of people incarcerated for a drug offense in state prison who are black or Latino, although these groups use and sell drugs at similar rates as whites: 57 percent

Number of states that allow the medical use of marijuana: 23 + District of Columbia

Number of states that have approved legally taxing and regulating marijuana: 4 (Alaska, Colorado, Oregon and Washington)

Number of states that have decriminalized marijuana by eliminating criminal penalties for simple possession of small amounts for personal use: 20

Estimated annual revenue that California would raise if it taxed and regulated the sale of marijuana: $1,400,000,000

Number of people killed in Mexico's drug war since 2006: 100,000+

Number of students who have lost federal financial aid eligibility because of a drug conviction: 200,000+

Number of people in the U.S. who died from a drug overdose in 2014: 47,055

Tax revenue that drug legalization would yield annually, if currently-illegal drugs were taxed at rates comparable to those on alcohol and tobacco: $46.7 billion
    Number of people in the U.S. who have acquired AIDS directly or indirectly from syringe sharing: 360,836 people, or 30 percent of all people diagnosed w/AIDS in the U.S.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention found that syringe access programs lower HIV incidence among people who inject drugs by: 80 percent

U.S. federal government support for syringe access programs: $0.00, thanks to a federal ban reinstated by Congress in 2011 that prohibits any federal assistance for them

Redneck Army
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    12-01-2020 @ 08:53 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,464 Times in 2,541 Posts

Just think of all the guns that money could have bought....what a shame.

Running with myself
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    06-13-2016 @ 11:12 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Best pro-weed speech from a non-stoner ever

Henry Rollins is well known for being "straight-edge", but he is VERY pro-cannabis.... without partaking of it himself.

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

An issue of grave consequence that affects the lives of millions of Americans

Ford -

I am writing you about an issue of grave consequence that affects the lives of millions of Americans and greatly impacts our democracy - namely the continued federal prohibition on marijuana and the need for reform of our criminal justice system.

As you know, a number of states (including my state of Vermont) have decriminalized or legalized the possession, use and sale of marijuana in recent years. Under the Obama Administration, the Justice Department took no action against these states or the people in those states. However, the Trump Administration has taken a very different stance with Attorney General Jeff Sessions threatening to prosecute. That would be a huge mistake and move us in exactly the wrong direction.

Here's why:

Millions of Americans have had their lives impacted by the federal prohibition on marijuana - arrests, convictions and even jail time. Even when people don't go to jail, the criminal record they receive makes it harder for them to find a job, get housing or go to college. Is this a widespread problem? It sure is. In 2016 alone, over half a million people were arrested for marijuana possession.

These harmful impacts are felt far more acutely in communities of color and poor communities because enforcement of marijuana laws is much stricter there than in more affluent, white communities. Incredibly, African Americans are four times more likely to be arrested for marijuana even though marijuana usage rates are basically the same across racial lines.

Of course, marijuana prohibition is part of a larger failed war on drugs that has led to the great national crisis of mass incarceration. Some 1.5 million people were arrested for a drug related offense in 2016 - over 80 percent of which were for possession alone. We need to stop criminalizing addiction. We need to stop criminalizing recreational marijuana use.

The criminal justice system is not the answer to drug abuse. Addiction is a health problem and we should start treating it that way. While communities all across the country lack adequate resources for treatment or prevention, we are spending approximately $50 billion a year on the war on drugs. That's absurd. We need to get our priorities right.

And that starts with making our voices heard:

Sign my petition if you agree it is long past time for the government to end its failed war on drugs and instead invest in programs that focus on treatment and prevention of drug abuse. This is an important issue that impacts almost everyone and we should all make our voices heard.

This so-called war on drugs has led us to have over 2 million people in prison - disproportionately poor and from communities of color. Our incarceration rate is the highest in the world - higher even than authoritarian countries like China, Saudi Arabia, and Russia.

Further, what is not often discussed is how the war on drugs and mass incarceration is impacting the essence of our democracy. People with felony convictions cannot vote in many states. Today, for that reason alone, over 6 million Americans are denied access to the ballot.

Uneven enforcement and the fact that people of color receive longer sentences for the same offenses than white defendants means more felony convictions in those communities. And that means - surprise, surprise - fewer voters.

In other words, the war on drugs is robbing those minority and lower income communities of their political power. In Florida, Kentucky and Tennessee over 20 percent of voting age African Americans are disenfranchised because of felony convictions. It's not too hard to figure out what's going on here. The communities most impacted by these policies are systematically stripped of their ability in our democratic system to politically fight back.

Why hasn't something been done to fix this problem? You know the reason. The sad truth is that some politicians benefit from people not being able to vote. All too often these are the same politicians who are trying to disenfranchise voters in other ways, such as restrictive voter ID laws or extreme gerrymandering.

This has got to change.

We need the highest voter turnout in the world, not the highest incarceration rate. We need to provide treatment for people with substance abuse problems, not lock them up.

As a first step, we need to remove marijuana from Category 1 of the federal Controlled Substances Act where it is currently ranked alongside drugs like heroin. In fact, marijuana is classified more harshly than cocaine. That doesn't make any sense.

Let's have states decide the issue of marijuana for themselves like they do with alcohol. More and more states are moving in the direction of decriminalization. Let them make those decisions without federal interference.

Let's invest in the prevention and treatment of substance abuse.

Let's reform our criminal laws and take other steps to dismantle mass incarceration. Among other steps forward we need to ban private prisons and create new federal policing standards.

Let's restore the voting rights of all Americans.

If you share my goal of making these important reforms please sign this petition.

In Solidarity,

Bernie Sanders

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

John BONER and Bill Weld to join Acreage Board of Directors???

John Boehner and Bill Weld to join Acreage Board of Directors
    Appointments Add Unmatched Experience to Acreage Holdings’ Board of Advisors

New York City, NY – April 11, 2018 – Acreage Holdings (“Acreage”) (www.acreageholdings.com), one of the nation’s largest, multi-state actively-managed cannabis corporations, announced the appointments of former Speaker of the United States House of Representatives John Boehner and former Governor of the State of Massachusetts Bill Weld to its Board of Advisors.

As members of the Board, Speaker Boehner and Governor Weld will bring an immense, collective and unique set of experiences in government affairs, unmatched leadership and guidance to help drive Acreage towards its strategic mission.

In concert with this announcement, Speaker Boehner and Governor Weld have issued this joint statement:

While we come at this issue from different perspectives and track records, we both believe the time has come for serious consideration of a shift in federal marijuana policy. Over the past 20 years a growing number of states have experimented with their right to offer cannabis programs under the protection of the 10th amendment. During that period, those rights have lived somewhat in a state of conflict with federal policy. Also, during this period, the public perception of cannabis has dramatically shifted, with 94% of Americans currently in favor of some type of access, a shift driven by increased awareness of marijuana’s many medical applications.

We need to look no further than our nation's 20 million veterans, 20 percent of whom, according to a 2017 American Legion survey, reportedly use cannabis to self-treat PTSD, chronic pain and other ailments. Yet the VA does not allow its doctors to recommend its usage. There are numerous other patient groups in America whose quality of life has been dramatically improved by the state-sanctioned use of medical cannabis.

While the Tenth Amendment has allowed much to occur at the state level, there are still many negative implications of the Federal policy to schedule cannabis as a Class 1 drug: most notably the lack of research, the ambiguity around financial services and the refusal of the VA to offer it as an alternative to the harmful opioids that are ravishing our communities.

We are excited to join the team at Acreage in pursuit of their mission to bring safe, consistent and reliable products to patients and consumers who could benefit. We have full confidence in their management team and believe this is the team that will transform the debate, policy and landscape around this issue.
    On the appointments, Acreage Founder and CEO Kevin Murphy said, “Acreage has a mission to make cannabis available to any patient who can benefit from safe and reliable access. The addition of Speaker Boehner and Governor Weld to our Board will lead to even greater access for patients by changing the conversation overnight. These men have shaped the political course of our country for decades and now they will help shape the course of this nascent but ascendant industry.”

Both the Speaker and the Governor have agreed to immediately join the Company’s Board of Advisors and have committed to join the Company’s Board of Directors once it has been formed and other qualified directors have been appointed.

ABOUT ACREAGE HOLDINGS

Acreage Holdings is a vertically integrated, multi-state owner of cannabis licenses and assets in states where either medical and/or adult use cannabis is legal. Headquartered in New York City and currently operating in 11 states, Acreage owns cultivation, processing and dispensary operations and has among the largest footprints of any cannabis company in the U.S. The company is focused on building and scaling the best-in-breed operations and creating the best consumer-focused cannabis experiences and brands in the space.
    CONTACTS

Communications Contact:
    Lewis Goldberg/Jon Goldberg
    KCSA Strategic Communications
    212-896-1282
    Acreage@kcsa.com

Corporate Contact:
    Harris Damashek
    Acreage Holdings
    Chief Marketing Officer
    917-877-1766
    h.damashek@acreageholdings.com

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Considering BONER's past association with big tobacco, I'm a little suspicious about this one. Two companies that should never be allowed anywhere near the cannabis industry: Phillip Morris and MonSatan.

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online