Open 8am-5pm M-F
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

Angus: I’ve never rated myself tributes Eddie Van Halen

http://rocknewsdesk.com/world-news/a...d-myself/3328/

AC/DC axeman Young tributes Eddie Van Halen and compares him to Hendrix – but believes his own abilities fall short

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    C/DC hero Angus Young doesn’t rate himself as a guitarist – but he believes Eddie Van Halen is comparable to Jimi Hendrix.

The school-uniform-clad veteran reveals his analysis in an article he’s contributed to a coffee table book devoted to the Van Halen mainman.

In the publication he says: “AC/DC played on a bill with Van Halen back in 1978 or 1979. I didn’t know much about Van Halen then except that I remember seeing film clips of them, especially the one of Eddie playing the solo piece Eruption – and I was very impressed.

“I didn’t meet Eddie until years later when there was a Monsters of Rock open-air festival in England. I was shocked to hear he liked my playing, because I’ve never rated myself as a guitarist.”

Young describes Van Halen as an “innovator” and compares his influence to that of Hendrix, who followed English masters including Jimmy Page, Eric Clapton and Jeff Beck.

“When Eddie came along he spawned so many imitators,” says Young. “Like Hendrix, suddenly you started to see people wanting to buy the same guitars he played, and also play his licks. He turned the rule book upside down in terms of his approach.

“When Jimi Hendrix came along it was like, ‘Where did this guy come from?’ I think it was the same feeling with Eddie. When Eddie appeared on the scene every guitarist I ran into said, ‘You’ve gotta hear this guy!’”

Photographer Neil Zlozower’s book, entitled Eddie Van Halen, is due for publication on October 12. It includes contributions from Jimmy Page, Joe Perry, Les Paul, Steve Vai, Joe Satriani, Phil Collen, Mick Mars, Scott Ian, Dave Navarro, Tom Morello, Gary Moore, Zakk Wylde and many others.

Meanwhile, the mother of 70s AC/DC frontman Bon Scott has died at the age of 94. Isa Scott had lived in Western Australia since the family emigrated from Scotland in 1952. Singer Scott, who died in 1980, was born in Kirriemuir, Fife, in 1946. Isa had retained an interest in the band, attending shows when they played near her home up until recently

Open 8am-5pm M-F
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    This is kinda funny because I remember an interview form back in the day where Angus said he didn't really consider Van Halen a rock band.

Use my hand, I won't look
    ____Van Fuckin' Halen____
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Jagermeister View Post
    This is kinda funny because I remember an interview form back in the day where Angus said he didn't really consider Van Halen a rock band.
    I seem to recall the same thing... I always thought there was a mild rivalry between the bands...

The Frosty One...
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I'm actually surprised that Angus is so humble. I would easily put him in that upper echelon of guitarists alongside Hendrix and Van Halen.
    Everyone in the civilized world (and maybe in the uncivilized world) has heard AC/DC and regard them as legends.
    I challenge anyone to even look at a Gibson SG and not think of Angus, or not have an AC/DC riff running through their head at the very least. It's not even possible.

Angus is one of the very few guitarists who will never have anything to worry about. He has his own sound, his own legion of die-hard fans, and carved a permanent place in rock history that nobody can ever fuck with.

People do this comparison shit because they're extremely bored and have no life.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Actually Angus is one of Eddie Van Halen's favorite guitarists. He said that in an interview. Eddie also said the most intimidated he had ever been was following AC/DC at the Day on the Green. He said he was standing on the side of the stage being blown away by them and thinking we have to follow these guys. He said Van Halen was rarely intimidated by anyone. He also said one of his favorite albums is Powerage and it's played regularly over the 5150 monitors.

Tattoo Tattoo
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by hambon4lif View Post
    People do this comparison shit because they're extremely bored and have no life.
    Kinda like us......

Oh dear.

Sheep Pen Kiwi
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Shoes, Sensible View Post
    Kinda like us......
    How Dare You.
    First Roth Army Kiwi To See Van Halen Live 6/16/2012 Phoenix Arizona.

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Surprised at how humble Angus is.

I'll tell you something, when ever I hear the solo on 'Kicked In the Teeth Again', 'Up To My Neck In You' or 'Whole Lotta Rosie', my days suddenly feels infinitely better. I don't care how difficult or not it is to play, that's talent.
    The Power Of The Riff Compels Me

Foot Soldier

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitro Express View Post
    Actually Angus is one of Eddie Van Halen's favorite guitarists. He said that in an interview. Eddie also said the most intimidated he had ever been was following AC/DC at the Day on the Green. He said he was standing on the side of the stage being blown away by them and thinking we have to follow these guys. He said Van Halen was rarely intimidated by anyone. He also said one of his favorite albums is Powerage and it's played regularly over the 5150 monitors.
    Surprised Ed felt that way? Back in the day when they were hungry no one could touch them!!

Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Angus Young = good people.
    "Nothing gets a yak over a suspension bridge faster than 'Back in the Saddle Again' by Aerosmith" ~ DLR

The Australian.
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    angus is such a humble man, and he always venerates his brother. (i fucking love that.) we all know that he's in that group of iconic guitarists, even if he doesn't think so.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Carloscda View Post
    Surprised Ed felt that way? Back in the day when they were hungry no one could touch them!!
    Ed said AC/DC totally owned the crowd. He said the band was just chugging it out, the crowd was bopping like one big machine and Bon Scott was standing at the mike barely moving but had that whole crowd of people in his hands. Ed said it was an amazing thing to witness and was thinking how in the hell are we going to compete with this?

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    AC/DC=No Bullshit.

Probably the most respected band in rock. They are the real deal.

Last edited by Nitro Express; 09-03-2011 at 05:58 PM.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by hambon4lif View Post
    I'm actually surprised that Angus is so humble. I would easily put him in that upper echelon of guitarists alongside Hendrix and Van Halen.
    Everyone in the civilized world (and maybe in the uncivilized world) has heard AC/DC and regard them as legends.
    I challenge anyone to even look at a Gibson SG and not think of Angus, or not have an AC/DC riff running through their head at the very least. It's not even possible.

Angus is one of the very few guitarists who will never have anything to worry about. He has his own sound, his own legion of die-hard fans, and carved a permanent place in rock history that nobody can ever fuck with.

Comparisons and ranking musicians and bands IS fucking bullshit.

I will say that as impressive as technical prowess is, equally impressive is a stripped down, no frills approach.

Bands like AC/DC and The Ramones...I think it takes as much effort to be concise and simple as it does to be showy and clever.

One of the great things about Van Halen is that they were equally adept at both.
    Scramby eggs and bacon.

Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Ed said AC/DC totally owned the crowd. He said the band was just chugging it out, the crowd was bopping like one big machine and Bon Scott was standing at the mike barely moving but had that whole crowd of people in his hands. Ed said it was an amazing thing to witness and was thinking how in the hell are we going to compete with this?
    That's exactly how it played out in 78 at the Day on the Green... Pat Travers fired us up... AC/DC was ass-kickin killer... Then Van Halen finished it off!!!

One of the best damned shows I ever saw... with the one exception of the two 81 Oakland VH shows...
    "If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

it's getting hot in here
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    AC/DC=No Bullshit.

Probably the most respected band in rock. They are the real deal.
    Thanks for the clip. The media had been playing up the rivalry between the two bands leading up to the gig - I think members of the two bands indulged it a bit. Didn't Ed say that 'Powerage' was one of his fave albums at some point more recently?

One thing I remember on that day was Gary Moore playing a lot of extended solos at the end of a lot of the tunes his band did. At the time I thought he was trying and outgun Eddie / feeling the heat from having to play before the more legendary guitarist. But, if you see the Hot For Teach segment, Ed is relaxed and playing like a demon.

I remember dodging the bottles of piss and ... open cartons of yohgurt, which did fly through the air that day, along with a whole unsliced loaf of bread with a knife sticking in it, which hit my head with a thud at one point.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by ZahZoo View Post
    That's exactly how it played out in 78 at the Day on the Green... Pat Travers fired us up... AC/DC was ass-kickin killer... Then Van Halen finished it off!!!

One of the best damned shows I ever saw... with the one exception of the two 81 Oakland VH shows...
    Talk about a great time to be in Oakland. The Day on the Green in 78 and Fair Warning to boot. You experienced some history there.

Thread Information