X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Little Texan
    Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

Powerman 5000 does a Jump cover

Most here will probably hate this and think it's shit, but I kinda like it because it's not a note for note copy of the original and it sounds a bit different. That said, it still doesn't measure up to the original.

• GreenBayLA
    Sniper
    • Jan 2006

Well if nothing else it's a testament to the far reach and lasting power of Classic Van Halen.
    "Nothing gets a yak over a suspension bridge faster than 'Back in the Saddle Again' by Aerosmith" ~ DLR

Comment

• binnie
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • May 2006

Seem to remember that this is Rob Zombie's younger brother.

It's good to see CVH being covered: even if this does stink like some cheap Euro-pop brothel boogie music.
      The Power Of The Riff Compels Me

Comment

• chefcraig
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • Apr 2004

At first listen, this seems somewhat slight, as they retained Roth's vocal line (including the asides), the complete chorus and the guitar solo in their original form. Then you realize that VH did virtually the same thing with their cover of "Pretty Woman", the main difference being that at least Powerman 5000 bothered to learn the entire song.

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
        ― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• Coyote
          ROTH ARMY SUPREME
          • Jan 2004

I like it, mainly because it doesn't sound like a "note-for-note" cover.
          Why settle for something you have, if it's not as good as something you're out to get?

Originally posted by Seshmeister
          It's like putting up a YouTube of Bach and playing Chopstix on your Bontempi...

Comment

• DlocRoth
            ROCKSTAR

• Jan 2004

Good stuff!
            Fuck Scott Weiland. Fucking asshole. I get trashed all the time and still go to work. And my job sucks ass. -ODShowtime

Comment

• TJMKID
              Veteran
              • Mar 2004

For being a current cover, it ain't half bad ---- much more tolerable than hearing a retarded tequila salesman butcher it for years

Comment

• slimdon
                Roadie
                • Feb 2004

This is pretty cool. It'll be pumpin' at high volume in my stripclub anytime I'm pulling DJ booth duties. I've interviewed Spider One (Zombie's brother) a couple of times, and he's pretty cool; a rock n' roller true at heart.

I'm not necessarily a fan of covertunes, but when you run a stripclub that plays sh*t tunes nightly (because that's what the tiny boppers want), I welcome these kind of new-age versions to spice up the nights.

Amen,
                The Reverend

Comment

• VAiN
                  Use my hand, I won't look
                  ROCKSTAR

• Nov 2006

Hmm, not too bad. I can appreciate it. I'm very impressed with the guitar solo - I had no idea the guy from powerman 5000 could play like that. Good on them for keeping it true to the original.
                  Originally posted by wiseguy
                  That shit will welcome you in the morning and pour the milk in your count chocula for ya.

Comment

• mohican
                    Head Fluffer
                    • Jul 2011

Comment

• ThrillsNSpills
                      ROTH ARMY ELITE
                      • Jan 2004

Not bad. I thought it was interesting that he made up something new for the main riff. Seems unusual for a cover but it works.

Comment

• Dan
                        DIAMOND STATUS
                        • Jan 2004

Sweet As.
                        First Roth Army Kiwi To See Van Halen Live 6/16/2012 Phoenix Arizona.

Comment

• DlocRoth
                          ROCKSTAR

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by DlocRoth
                          Good stuff!
                          I still like it.
                          Fuck Scott Weiland. Fucking asshole. I get trashed all the time and still go to work. And my job sucks ass. -ODShowtime

Comment

• NATEDOG001976
                            Veteran
                            • Apr 2004

Pretty freakin' cool....
                            http://img220.imageshack.us/img220/8...19yc8872wu.jpg

http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/5...0269il5.th.jpg

Originally posted by fuckhowardstern - dude - you sounded cool as a cucumber - totally relaxed and spoke with authority - must say I was a bit surprised but you sounded really at ease - super cool-like.

Originally posted by DavidLeeNatra - nate, you are the fucking attention whore of the day and you DESERVE it

Originally posted by Jérôme Frenchise - BTW, bravo NATE! Soon Dave will mention the Army by himself!

Originally posted by franksters Have you heard Nate properly, We now moved up to an ''Organisation'' Awesome man!!
                            Roth army....more than an army....it's a gr8 Organization!!

Originally posted by Northern Girl
                            Nate, so cool. I'm listening to the Dallas feed, so it'll be coming up in a while. Can't wait!

Comment

• ZahZoo
                              ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by VAiN
                              Hmm, not too bad. I can appreciate it. I'm very impressed with the guitar solo - I had no idea the guy from powerman 5000 could play like that. Good on them for keeping it true to the original.
                              That surprised me... was wondering if he actually played it, brought in a studio guitarist or was it sampled.
                              "If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

Comment

Working...