Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So, The New VH Album Will Be Released NEXT Year...By COLUMBIA?

Perpetually Befuddled
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

Question So, The New VH Album Will Be Released NEXT Year...By COLUMBIA?

This brief mention came in one of those doofy little Google Updates. I get around 12 of them per day in my email, and they usually are redundant articles involving the tequila salesman, his underwhelming side project or what someone you never heard of thinks of David Lee Roth. So I nominally ignore them, but one sentence near the end of this one caught my eye.

...After spending its entire 35-year career at WB, Van Halen, with David Lee Roth back in the fold, recently completed work on its first album for new label Columbia, coming early next year…

To provide some context for this, here is the full article:

I.B. BAD FINDS HIMSELF BETWEEN ROCK & A HARD PLACE

Rock May No Longer Be as Gigantic as It Once Was, but It Ain’t Dead Yet

HitsDailyDouble.com

September 16, 2011

In an era that embraces divas, rappers and dance tracks, a number of the majors have moved away from rock. Concurrently, and perhaps not coincidentally, rock radio has also fallen on hard times, as evidenced by the recent demise of Q101, leaving only adult-leaving WXRT in Chicago, while New York and Cleveland now have no contemporary rock stations whatsoever—a situation that would have been incomprehensible in past decades. On the other hand, rock stations in Top 10 markets L.A., Philly, Boston, Detroit, Dallas and Houston are all extremely successful. But while guitar-based music is struggling in some areas, it’s absurd to say rock is dead at a time when the form contains such potent acts as U2, Coldplay, AC/DC, Kings of Leon, Muse, Foo Fighters, Dave Matthews Band, the Red Hot Chili Peppers, Green Day, Linkin Park, Paramore, the Black Keys, Florence & the Machine, Thirty Seconds to Mars, MGMT, Death Cab for Cutie, Arcade Fire, Radiohead, Pearl Jam, Phoenix, Vampire Weekend and Mumford & Sons, each with its own loyal fan base. What’s different is that few rock singles get massive spins these days, though when they do, as with KOL’s “Use Somebody” and Mumford & Sons’ “Little Lion Man,” they sell big numbers of albums, with KOL’s Only by the Night selling 2.18m (without a hit, the following Come Around Sundown got to 657k) and Mumford’s Sigh No More now at 1.79k—achieving this impressive total with zero Top 40 spins. At this point in time, a rock album with sufficient sustained airplay can typically do between 600-900k, as with the Black Keys’ Brothers (832k), Florence & the Machine’s Lungs (780k) and Arcade Fire’s The Suburbs (680k). Currently carrying the rock banner at rock radio is Foster the People, whose “Pumped Up Kicks” has become one of 2011’s definitive hits, resulting in album sales on Torches of 275k to date, while RCA and Warner Bros. are presently attempting to cross the Foo Fighters and the Chili Peppers to pop. Be that as it may, some labels have opted to put rock on the back burner, deeming it too risky and expensive. One of the first to do so was Interscope, which has been hugely successful with the likes of Lady Gaga, Black Eyed Peas and Eminem, while parting ways with Beck, Weezer, Snow Patrol, Papa Roach and Nine Inch Nails during the last couple of years, and is now down to U2, No Doubt, Blink-182, All American Rejects and Rise Against. The irony here is that the company is led by Jimmy Iovine, who built his reputation working with Bruce Springsteen, Patti Smith and Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers. Now, Warner Bros., another label headed by a big-time rock producer in Rob Cavallo, while still entrenched in the rock business, would like to become a more well-rounded operation, in keeping with today’s mainstream. The label still has the Black Keys, Green Day, Muse, Linkin Park and the Chili Peppers, and though Metallica is out of contract, WBR is putting out the band’s collaborative LP with Lou Reed, despite the fact that it has little mainstream potential, based as it is on a pair of German Expressionist plays. While industry observers point to the reduction of Warner/Reprise promotion from two staffs to one under new overall department head Peter Gray as evidence of the label’s desire to become a more stylistically eclectic and competitive label, those in the know point out that this two-to-one move has been in the works for years. Lyor Cohen would have been done so long ago, they say, having concluded that WBR’s A&R staff wasn’t signing enough viable acts to warrant two departments, but he was thwarted by a clause in Tom Whalley’s contract stipulating such a structure—and this issue was believed to be one of the issues leading to their acrimonious relationship. All eyes are now on Gray as he reorganizes the company’s promotion team… The same can be said for Epic promotion—a clear-cut priority for newly installed label head L.A. Reid considering the radio-centric acts he signs—under newly hired leader Erik Olesen. He succeeds Jacqueline Saturn, who is staying at the label in an as yet unspecified role, making for an awkward situation… After spending its entire 35-year career at WB, Van Halen, with David Lee Roth back in the fold, recently completed work on its first album for new label Columbia, coming early next year… And though rock record revenues have diminished, the concert business, led by acts with multi-decade careers playing arenas and stadiums, has held steady and in some cases has actually increased. The same is true with high-profile festivals like Coachella, which has locked in No Doubt and Radiohead as two of next year’s headliners… Names in the rumor mill: Bernstein and Mensch, Bono, Dave Grohl , Ken Levitan, Ian Montone, Bob Rock and Brian Eno.

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
    ― Stephen Hawking

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    This can be seen as both good and bad news..... Bad news, being that we're probably looking at another 6-8 months. While it may seem kinda dumb to "sit" on an album that's done until (presumably) next spring, it could be arguably even more risky to release the record now, if they don't have any plans to tour until next summer. I remain convinced that the best scenario for this band is a spring album release, followed by a summer tour. I'm just not sure why it's taken 5 summers since the initial reunion to get to that scenario.

As for Columbia as opposed to WB, this is the first I've heard of it, but if true, it might actually work out for the best. I've heard Columbia has a good reputation for promoting "legacy" artists, so they might go all out to sell this album, where WB might not have spent a dime on it (just like they didn't on VDIII, or that horrible compilation in 2004 with the three horrid Hagar turds on it.)

Better yet, if Columbia makes money off Van Halen, WB is going to want to cash in on it, and that means we could finally get some of the "vault" audio & video released.
    Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    hmmm. maybe Sony showed the most cash.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    If Columbia had signed Van Halen why wouldn't they announce it?

your last loose end
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Oh my friggin' God already. I keep thinking of how Dave said in his book how brutally long it took to make 1984. Anyone here good at math? Hide Your Sheep tour ends in late '82 or early '83. Recording 1984 wraps up in...1983!!!! How is Dave containing himself through all of this? Man, that must be some gag order. (Cue the Pulp Fiction basement scene boys.)

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Well, in fairness, Dave hasn't been cranking out the records all that fast himself in the years since the original breakup. 1986..1988...1991...1994....1998.....2003 (and that one was almost all covers)

Granted, there was the 2 Van HALEN songs in 1996, and at least an attempt at another VH record around 2000-01. And of course the sisters recording output is pretty much the same schedule, except they took 2003 off, and put out the three Hagar turds in 2004.

So up until that point, you could have made the argument that both Dave & Ed got lazy without each other. But that excuse no longer applied as of 2007.

your last loose end
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I realize the current bass player had his own high school graduation to attend (can't believe that statement actually makes sense with regards to Van Halen) but, they really needed to strike while the iron was hot. There's no reason why there wasn't any new music released by '09 or '10. It pains me that they're being lapped by that other band. Sadly, their legacy means way more to us than it does to them. Dammit, we can't have good things!

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    how are they being lapped? i hear no buzz about the next (you know who) disc, and when they tour they will be in far smaller rooms than VH (eventually) will play. Fatso is gonna run his mouth no matter what...i wouldn't be surprised to hear him say VH backed off because they didn't want to compete with (you know who). just because that fat fuck says something don't mean it's true...

ROTH KILL!
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by FORD View Post
    Well, in fairness, Dave hasn't been cranking out the records all that fast himself in the years since the original breakup. 1986..1988...1991...1994....1998.....2003 (and that one was almost all covers)

Granted, there was the 2 Van HALEN songs in 1996, and at least an attempt at another VH record around 2000-01. And of course the sisters recording output is pretty much the same schedule, except they took 2003 off, and put out the three Hagar turds in 2004.

So up until that point, you could have made the argument that both Dave & Ed got lazy without each other. But that excuse no longer applied as of 2007.
    Well the reason for that was due to touring, changing record companies, finding a new guitarist, las vegas, writing an autobiography, having a radio show and dealing with the Van Liars back in 96.

your last loose end
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by twonabomber View Post
    how are they being lapped? i hear no buzz about the next (you know who) disc, and when they tour they will be in far smaller rooms than VH (eventually) will play. Fatso is gonna run his mouth no matter what...i wouldn't be surprised to hear him say VH backed off because they didn't want to compete with (you know who). just because that fat fuck says something don't mean it's true...
    Agreed. I just mean lapped in the sense of actually doing something. Both Poultry Toes CD's done and released since VH ended their tour. However bland or just bad the body of Sam's work has been since '96, He's done an aweful lot. We're discussing the obvious here, but if VH put out half of the volume of what he has done since then, aaahh you know what I mean. at this point, my interest in Ed Van Halen with David Lee Roth on record again is more about closure than seeing them continue with a new version of the band. I had hopes of seeing this incarnation pick up steam and run with it. Instead, as usual, they let the hot iron freeze. If it takes this long for them to do something, they're missing the boat...again. Boo.

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Seshmeister View Post

I agree 100%. If Columbia really did sign VH, then we would've already seen a press release about it.

Also consider the "Get Ready" message on DLR's site since July 2. I highly doubt he leaves that on there if the record or first single wont be released until spring 2012. That's a long time to "get ready".

Use my hand, I won't look
    ____Van Fuckin' Halen____
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Seshmeister View Post
    Good question... Maybe they're waiting to do an all-out whiz-bang announcement and record release at the same time?

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Wouldn't make much sense for Columbia to announce anything if a relase isn't immediately forthcoming, and although the business has changed over the years the best promotion for a new album release is still a tour. So if there isn't a tour planned until next year, at this point it makes just as much sense to hold the album back.

I do find it amazing that Warner Brothers hasn't put something out already, even without consent from the band...who knows? Too many contractual particulars I'm not aware of, and even if said info was available it's secondary to my end of it all as a fan / customer: if there's something put out, I can buy it. If there isn't, understanding the reasons why this is so won't produce anything for me to listen to or watch.
    Scramby eggs and bacon.

The Menace Is Loose Again
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    how are they being lapped? i hear no buzz about the next (you know who) disc

My older brother hit 48 in June. Always been a VH fan & Sammy Hagar fan. I took him to the 2007 reunion. We saw the Sam & Dave tour. He took me to see Sammy in San Francisco. We saw Sammy solo a couple other times as well. So the other day we are both out in his driveway after a day of work while he is unloading his truck. I start mentioning what we know so far about VH and what the current best bet rumors are......then....

I ask if he had heard the new Chickenfoot album (I have not. Nor did I ever hear the first one save but 2 youtube videos). He asks who's Chickenfoot? HAHAHA!

So there I am explaining how the foot is Sammys "supergroup". Satch, Michael Anthony, Sammy, and the drummer from the Peppers (poor Chad. zero name recognition). So after I explain he seems mildly interested....very mildly. "Oh, I dig the Peppers" was his only substantial comment. Yeah bro, we all dig the Peppers.

So there you have it in a nutshell. Even Sammys casual fans which constitute the majority of his listening base have no clue wtf a chickenfoot is. My point is, if you make an album and no one in the forest listens to it.....did you truly ever really make an album?
    “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by sadaist View Post
    I ask if he had heard the new Chickenfoot album (I have not. Nor did I ever hear the first one save but 2 youtube videos). He asks who's Chickenfoot? HAHAHA!

So there I am explaining how the foot is Sammys "supergroup". Satch, Michael Anthony, Sammy, and the drummer from the Peppers (poor Chad. zero name recognition). So after I explain he seems mildly interested....very mildly. "Oh, I dig the Peppers" was his only substantial comment. Yeah bro, we all dig the Peppers.
    This is classic!! Bravo, sir!

=OWWWWWWWWW=
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Released next year, eh?
    Well wash my balls and pat them dry. Seems we are waist deep in horse shit again. Better use a little baby powder too.

At this point, I believe any Van Halen related news about as much as I believe anything my pet BigFoot says.
    He too is a fooking liar.
    ~Only you can prevent low volume~

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by TJMKID View Post
    I agree 100%. If Columbia really did sign VH, then we would've already seen a press release about it.

Also consider the "Get Ready" message on DLR's site since July 2. I highly doubt he leaves that on there if the record or first single wont be released until spring 2012. That's a long time to "get ready".
    I think Dave initially put that up on his site as a premonition to the Aussie festival thing. Now that the promoters crash & burned that whole fiasco, he had to revert to that message, for lack of anything else. I don't know who's running Dave's website these days. I'm assuming it's neither The Keepers or Brad $tarks, but beyond that, I have no idea. But they don't seem to do updates any more often than El Mushroom does.

ROTH KILL!
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Shit, I need to get my ass in gear and form my own band called "Hot Bangin' Action" ASAP!

ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Hot Bangin' Action and Van Halen in 2012. I'm in!!

ROTH KILL!
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by VAiN View Post
    Hot Bangin' Action and Van Halen in 2012. I'm in!!
    Well I don't know about that. But I do plan the have the religious reich throw a shit-fit about my anti-abstinence song and many other antics that I'll use to piss em' off.

ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    You just don't hear enough pro-anti-abstinence songs these days..

C.U.N.T. Ambassador
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Hot Banging Action will they playing shirtless at the carpenter's union this year?
    "I have heard there are troubles of more than one kind. - Some come from ahead and some come from behind. - But I've bought a big bat. I'm all ready you see. - Now my troubles are going to have troubles with me!" ~ Dr. Seuss
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Beer-It does a body good.
    Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Fuck these guys already.
    When the shit hits the fan, close your mouth and duck.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Wolfie got hungry and ate the rest of the band.

Puts the ass in Class
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Where the wind comes sweeping down the plains
    Status
    sounds about right
    This space for rent.

Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by FORD View Post
    I think Dave initially put that up on his site as a premonition to the Aussie festival thing. Now that the promoters crash & burned that whole fiasco, he had to revert to that message, for lack of anything else. I don't know who's running Dave's website these days. I'm assuming it's neither The Keepers or Brad $tarks, but beyond that, I have no idea. But they don't seem to do updates any more often than El Mushroom does.
    Seems odd Dave would have a webmaster or shall we say one on salary given his site just mirrors V-H.com or has a smashing 2 word and 3 dot in your face statement... zzzzzzz

He may as well coat-tail Starks and Van Halen's for what it's worth. Nothin...

Brad obviously still has some decent web skills. He does the Bass Players site madanthonycafe.com and it's got a nice look and constant updates...
    "If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by ZahZoo View Post
    Seems odd Dave would have a webmaster or shall we say one on salary given his site just mirrors V-H.com or has a smashing 2 word and 3 dot in your face statement... zzzzzzz

He may as well coat-tail Starks and Van Halen's for what it's worth. Nothin...

Brad obviously still has some decent web skills. He does the Bass Players site madanthonycafe.com and it's got a nice look and constant updates...

I would strongly guess that Dave doesn't even have his own webmaster these days. His site is now officially controlled by Eddie Van Hitler and his brother Alex Pol Pot.

If Dave didnt have that tight muzzle on him since 2008 --- we would've enjoyed many leaked photos and audio clips from deep inside Camp Howdy Doody by now. Big Diamond loves his fans and doesn't shit on them.

Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by TJMKID View Post
    Big Diamond loves his fans and doesn't shit on them.
    The last 5 years doesn't quite support that rosy picture... actions speak far louder than words. In this case exponentially given that there ain't no words...

You can't sit around calling the Van Halen brothers cunts for giving the fans a huge blow off... then Dave doing exactly that and calling it cool or taking the fucking high road. No free passes anymore...

Puts the ass in Class
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Where the wind comes sweeping down the plains
    Status
    Dave's career honestly has been out in left field for the last decade. Only the hard core knows he has even been around. He may not feel like there is that large of a fan base to warrant bucking the sisters silence. May not be worth it to him. Who knows.

Atomic Punk of Los Santos
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by ZahZoo View Post
    The last 5 years doesn't quite support that rosy picture... actions speak far louder than words. In this case exponentially given that there ain't no words...

You can't sit around calling the Van Halen brothers cunts for giving the fans a huge blow off... then Dave doing exactly that and calling it cool or taking the fucking high road. No free passes anymore...
    I gotta agree with that sentiment. If the target is now next fucking year, then Dave should change his website from "Get Ready" to "I'd love to give you guys new music right fucking now, but I'm stuck under Eddie's thumb. Thank you for your patience."

Maybe they could record a new version of "I'll Wait" with lyrics about how long it took to make this fucking record.
    Originally posted by perilouspete
    fryingdutchman you pretty much own everyone.....sick comebacks, well put. top class wit.

King of the Jews
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Blaze View Post
    Hot Banging Action will they playing shirtless at the carpenter's union this year?
    I'm not sure about the band name, or the playing shirtless part, but if there is a band made up of carpenters, count Me in!

ever wonder why u wonder
    Foot Soldier
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesus Christ View Post
    I'm not sure about the band name, or the playing shirtless part, but if there is a band made up of carpenters, count Me in!

I was there at the crucifiction and the band playing was ---- Pontius Pilate and the nail driving five-----

was that a bad joke???

My tickets in the mail yet?

King of the Jews
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Fortunately for thee, I hath a sense of humour. However, Pilate's band sucked. Let's just say he was the Samuel Hagar of Rome

ROTH KILL!
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Fortunately for thee, I hath a sense of humour. However, Pilate's band sucked. Let's just say he was the Samuel Hagar of Rome
    Not to mention that Pilate was a god-awful harp player as well.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by indeedido View Post
    Dave's career honestly has been out in left field for the last decade. Only the hard core knows he has even been around. He may not feel like there is that large of a fan base to warrant bucking the sisters silence. May not be worth it to him. Who knows.
    Fair enough. I mean, not denigrating the guy, but when your last couple of full-length studio releases sell around 100,000 copies each and your average concert audience size is around 2,000 people...it's just not 1985 anymore, when Roth was at his commercial peak (videos being played on MTV around the clock, cover of Rolling Stone, etc.) and had the promise of a successful solo career should he decide to leave Van Halen.
    Were I in his shoes at this stage of the game, it'd probably be more logical to stick with Van Halen as inactive as they are...at least when they do tour they can fill 10,000 + arenas and can (I assume) land a record contract with decent distribution. Perhaps Dave just doesn't want to have to be out there constantly recording and touring anymore, especially in a situation like the one he had prior to the reunion where he's gigging to small audiences and selling ziltch in terms of albums.
    While many of us here obviously kept up on what he was doing, career-wise, there are probably many more people out there who can't be bothered with him unless he's in Van Halen.
    I suppose I can be more empathetic to Dave hitching up to the slow-moving Van Halen wagon; the dude worked pretty steadily from 1996 to 2006. He's earned a breather. In some ways, I can't blame Mike Anthony for working with Hagar; at least they actually put some stuff out there for the fans to enjoy. From 1986 to 1996, Roth and the Van Halens were fairly equal in terms of new albums released and tours undertaken. From 1996 onward, the Van Halens got lazy.

Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    well kids .... i think its safe to say " youve got a better chance of getting struck by lightning then vh puttin out anything new .......guess you will have to visit van halen day care center ,that explains ed and al"s childish bullshit for the last 20 years ......done .

C.U.N.T. Ambassador
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

You have your own facebook page too!
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Jesus...07404569302274

Groupie
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Rumour....again...

Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    hmmm. maybe Sony showed the most cash.
    or, as said...are willing to do more promotion...
    or are easier to work with....

not everything comes down to dollars and cents...
    “Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending.” ~~Maria Robinson

Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by VAiN View Post
    Good question... Maybe they're waiting to do an all-out whiz-bang announcement and record release at the same time?
    Commercially, that makes sense, and is done quite often w/ movies.
    The toys/action figures/posters/ (and other crap) hit the shelves aprox 1-2 weeks before the release date of the movie,
    which has been hyped to the hilt on TV, Radio and internet....

it's all a "formula" built up for success....
    and would make sense for Columbia to start their hype shortly before VH is ready to start their tour and release the damned album

Thread Information