Terrible week in motor racing continues; simoncelli diead.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • katina
    Commando
    • Mar 2012

Comment

• katina
      Commando
      • Mar 2012

Misano now officially know as Misano World Circuit Marco Simoncelli

Saturday 09 June 2012
      Just a few days after the death of Marco Simoncelli and the pressing request by thousands of fans that launched a petition to Misano World Circuit to be renamed as a tribute to the late rider, the Misano World Circuit announced in November, that they would adopt the name of Simoncelli, and today in a brief press conference Dr. Trevi, president of Santamonica SpA (owners of the circuit) and the Simoncelli family, Rosella and Paolo Simoncelli, presented the new name and logo.

The circuit will now be known as “Misano World Circuit Marco Simoncelli“ and the new logo was created by Aldo Drudi. While the Italian designer couldn’t completely change the look of circuit’s name and logo for legal reasons (bureaucracy in Italy is always complicated), he did highlight the two red L’s - the red bands were also part of Sic’s AGV helmet that he designed - as a symbol of looking towards the future, where the two lines never never meet and continue to infinity.

Comment

• katina
        Commando
        • Mar 2012

Kevin Schwantz is leading a charity mammoth bicycle ride of 1.800 km. "Cycle of Wishes", from Donington Park in the U.K. via France, Switzerland to the newly renamed Marco Simoncelli Circuit at Misano.
        Joining Schwantz on the ride are other notable names from the world of two-wheels, including former motocross World Champion Jamie Dobb, BMX legend Jamie Bestwick, BBC television presenter Matt Roberts and former AMA Supercross star Jimmy Button, whose charity Road 2 Recovery will be one of several non-profit organisations to benefit from the effort as well as the Marco Simoncelli Foundation.

The group, who will split into three teams and complete four-hour relay legs on a non-stop pedal along the entire journey, plan to arrive in San Marino on Thursday lunchtime and will take the number 58 bus to Coriano, Marco's hometown, where they will be greeted by his father Paolo Simoncelli and the local Mayor. From there they will be joined by a host of MotoGP paddock regulars and riders as well as 58 paying members of the public to ride the final 10 kilometres to the Misano World Circuit Marco Simoncelli, finishing off with a lap of the track that will play host to round thirteen of the MotoGP World Championship from Friday morning.

The Grand Prix of San Marino and Riviera di Rimini promises to be a big party, an opportunity to combine his passion for engines a few days of vacation on the beaches of the Adriatic Sea. For a long weekend, the roar of the engines will be the soundtrack to the days and nights of Romagna, with many opportunities for fun, even outside the circuit dedicated to Marco Simoncelli. Lots of fun, but also charities that will be the theme of many events prepared for the week of the championship.

"It's a great honour to be on this inaugural ride to benefit the Simoncelli Foundation,” commented Schwantz.
        “Marco's death hit everybody associated with motorcycling hard but almost a year on and with his home Grand Prix on the horizon it feels like an appropriate moment to celebrate his life,” said Matt.

Comment

• katina
          Commando
          • Mar 2012

Comment

• katina
            Commando
            • Mar 2012

Kevin Schwantz with Paolo Simoncelli and fellow riders at Coriano, well done !!!

Comment

• katina
              Commando
              • Mar 2012

Kevin Schwantz with Rosella and Paolo Simoncelli as well as the mayor of Coriano

Comment

• katina
                Commando
                • Mar 2012

Misano World Circuit Marco Simoncelli is celebrating its 40 years.
                And today Alvaro Bautista records first-ever MotoGP podium at team’s emotional home race, he is replacing Marco at the San Carlo Honda Gresini Honda Team and riding Marco´s bike, he finished 3rd

Álvaro Bautista
                "It is always nice to finish on the podium but especially for me today with this being my first in MotoGP. Above all this is a very special weekend for me and the team because our memories of Marco are so strong coming here to the circuit named in his honour. After a few tough races we have worked well here and managed to fight for the podium at last. I am so happy for the team and for Marco because I am sure that wherever he is right now he was pushing us along. I could feel his hand on my shoulder today and I realised at the end that my name had come loose from my leathers so you could say it was Marco that was with us today.

Comment

• katina
                  Commando
                  • Mar 2012

Today is the anniversary of the death of Marco Simoncelli

Comment

Working...