Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Pink Floyd - Another Sign Of The End Times

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Eddie Kramer was doing a recording workshop and during the question and answer thing one person in the audience asked why Page and Plant never included John Paul Jones in any of their post Zeppelin projects. Eddie flat out said John Paul Jones was an excellent musician and Pagie and Plant probably on purpose didn't want him involved due to the fear of being upstaged. Kramer also said Page is a complete control freak and nothing happens by accident with that guy. Everything is planned and calculated.

Underwhelmist
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitro Express View Post
    The only two people who ever pulled off a good Super Bowl performance were Prince who even had to play in the rain and Michael Jackson.
    I thought Michael Jackson's was shite, lazy, lip-synched nonesense (and I'm a fan). He even forgot to use his fake high-pitched voice when he spoke.

I've watched them with interest, though. I noted that The Who's just seemed weird rather than bad. Something was odd about it. Stones and McCartney were a bit "meh".

Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers were good, though they don't really suit all the fireworks, big stage set ups etc, do they? And also 3 out of the 4 songs were Petty solo songs. Prince and Springsteen nailed it, though.

Seeing as Prince's hasn't been posted yet...

Fast & Bulbous, Got Me?

Underwhelmist
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Oh...and I forgot to mention Janet Jackson's tits. Possibly the most avant garde Superbowl performance piece.

Rock God
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    A Small Dive in a trashy neighborhood somewhere on Fornax 9
    Status
    The next step is for George Michael to perform with a reunited WHAM! and for him to have a wardrobe malfunction and show his coch to the world.

That will give us all something more to laugh at him about, and also will give those of us with some sense something else to laugh at when the Conservative Right-Wing Fascists in our country go ballistic.

As for Led Zep, I have to agree. While Page, Plant and Bonham were exceptional at what they do, the real foundation and incredibly talented core of the band was Jonesy.

I have posted several times over the years of how I saw him in 2003? opening for King Crimson, he brought a ukelele and played this little riff (to much ridicule), but by the end of the tune we were all standing there with our jaws on the floor. From a FUCKING UKELELE.

Gave me a fucking lesson in where the real power lay with Led Zep.

Running with myself
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I thought I was the real power with Zeppelin. The lyrics even said so.

Well, the backwards lyrics anyway........

the tool shed, incidentally, was a little shed on the Aleister Crowley estate (now owned by Jimmy Page) where I inspired them to write that song.
    Eternally Under the Authority of Satan

Quote Originally Posted by Sockfucker View Post
    I've been in several mental institutions but not in Bakersfield.

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardrock69 View Post

As for Led Zep, I have to agree. While Page, Plant and Bonham were exceptional at what they do, the real foundation and incredibly talented core of the band was Jonesy.
    I do not agree. If there was any true talent in Zep is was Bonham. He truly revolutionized rock drumming and ever sine his death Page must have known he wasn't shit without him. To me, Page's endless riffs rip offs worked around Bonham heavy-handed snare, hi-hat, bass work.

As for Jones, while not the best bass player in rock he was by far the most methodical. By that I mean, unlike Page and his soul-sucking bullshit, Jones was a trained musician who took his craft a bit more seriously; in a way like Entwhistle, he learned to work his notes around Bonham knowing when to improvise and when to stick to script. Just listen to any shitty recorded Zep tune and focus solely on the bass playing. Jones is like a predatory hawk knowing when to come in and when to back off with the right notes constantly reinventing on how to play louder or softer giving them more interpretation to the song regardless what fuckstick plagiarist Page is doing with those highly annoying solos and sloppy chord work.

This is why Zeppy always sucked mega-balls: Page never knew how to work with the amazing musicians he had opting instead to riff-bash is pathetic small cock ego. Now look at him. I've heard some of Jones' solo work and it's quite good while the irksome crap Page festers out is complete unlistenable garbage. Fuck Page. I hope the plagiarizing asswipe gets cancer.

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by wolfsbane View Post
    Don't want to get into a pissing contest or a flame war. The point of the statement was that both are not even close to the talents they once were.

To be fair, Daltey's voice was bad on endless wire, the 2006 tour and at superbowl. He had surgery on the pipes since then and is much better now.

Sorry, couldn't help but try to piss farther than you.
    Truth is, all these old fuddy-duddies voices are shot: Dylan, John Hiatt, Daltry, Plant...if Freddie Mercury was alive this is not way he would be singing like he did. There is only so much abuse the vocal chords can take and time naturally wears them down.

By the way, rumor has it that Townshend is about 94% deaf. Good for him - retarded foolish cocksucker.

The Australian.
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    this just in... people age. every musician mentioned in this thread has achieved far far more than any of us keyboard warriors ever will.

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Not more than me.

The Australian.
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Kristy View Post
    Not more than me.
    pfffffttt.

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I made lasagna today. Has Zeppy plagiarist boy ever done that!? I mean, if he can't write or play anything original how is he expected to cook for himself?

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Now what does your bad cooking have to do with good music?
    RIDE TO LIVE, LIVE TO RIDE
    LET `EM ROLL ONE MORE TIME

"EVERYBODY UP!!!"™
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I do not agree. If there was any true talent in Zep is was Bonham. He truly revolutionized rock drumming and ever sine his death Page must have known he wasn't shit without him. To me, Page's endless riffs rip offs worked around Bonham heavy-handed snare, hi-hat, bass work.

As for Jones, while not the best bass player in rock he was by far the most methodical. By that I mean, unlike Page and his soul-sucking bullshit, Jones was a trained musician who took his craft a bit more seriously; in a way like Entwhistle, he learned to work his notes around Bonham knowing when to improvise and when to stick to script. Just listen to any shitty recorded Zep tune and focus solely on the bass playing. Jones is like a predatory hawk knowing when to come in and when to back off with the right notes constantly reinventing on how to play louder or softer giving them more interpretation to the song regardless what fuckstick plagiarist Page is doing with those highly annoying solos and sloppy chord work.

This is why Zeppy always sucked mega-balls: Page never knew how to work with the amazing musicians he had opting instead to riff-bash is pathetic small cock ego. Now look at him. I've heard some of Jones' solo work and it's quite good while the irksome crap Page festers out is complete unlistenable garbage. Fuck Page. I hope the plagiarizing asswipe gets cancer.
    Truth is, all these old fuddy-duddies voices are shot: Dylan, John Hiatt, Daltry, Plant...if Freddie Mercury was alive this is not way he would be singing like he did. There is only so much abuse the vocal chords can take and time naturally wears them down.

By the way, rumor has it that Townshend is about 94% deaf. Good for him - retarded foolish cocksucker.
    Are you even a musician?
    Judging by your highly critical statements, you must possess a number of degree's in various types of music theory and musicology....

Here's an idea. why not list the artists you appreciate, and explain their brilliance in great detail with as much exuberance as you express your hate....
    Somehow I doubt you are capable of this....
    Trolls take heed...LOG OUT & FUCK OFF!!!

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    By the way, rumor has it that Townshend is about 94% deaf.
    Judging from what you downgrade, you may want to get your hearing checked as well.

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I'm sorry, I did not know I was treading on your sacred Jimmy Page homoerotic ground.

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I'm sorry, I did not know I was treading on your sacred Jimmy Page homoerotic ground.
    It's not that. It's just that if i was a bad painter i wouldn't go into a museum and tell them that their art sucked. Thus, just because you have a bad ear you shouldn't take it out on us and these fine legends you speak of.

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Haha! "fine legends" good one.

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Haha! "fine legends" good one.
    That was pretty good wasn't it? Ha.ha. I tried my best to get you fired up but you weren't having any of it.

C.U.N.T. Ambassador
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    The age thing is manufactured lies from the from the corporate hitlers.
    The corrupt medias push the young because that is who they can exploit.

Willy DeVille - A dollar and a Grammy will buy you a cup of coffee.

Last edited by Blaze; 11-02-2011 at 10:20 PM.
    "I have heard there are troubles of more than one kind. - Some come from ahead and some come from behind. - But I've bought a big bat. I'm all ready you see. - Now my troubles are going to have troubles with me!" ~ Dr. Seuss
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

C.U.N.T. Ambassador
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Indeed, I miss Willy's music.
    I miss them both.
    Last edited by Blaze; 11-02-2011 at 10:19 PM.

Underwhelmist
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    ^^^
    The Johnny Cash clip alone absolutely disproves any theory that you lose your "powers" as you grow older. Quite possibly in the Top 5 most moving performances I've seen.

I made lasagna today. Has Zeppy plagiarist boy ever done that!? I mean, if he can't write or play anything original how is he expected to cook for himself?
    Dunno. Does he like lasagna? Ask him and find out. Although, I don't quite get how your logic is working. Firstly, I don't think he's ever claimed to have invented lasagna (to my knowledge...I may be mistaken), so the analogy kind of breaks down immediately. Secondly, cooking and musical ability are two very different things. Inability to play guitar would be one of the few things I WOULDN'T judge Gordon Ramsay for, for instance.

You really haven't thought this through. Maybe you should come up with a better metaphor and re-post.

*For the record, I'm not a Led Zep fan either, far from it...but I at least respect what they did. In terms of the plagarism...as much as Page only stole from, say, old blues guys, it was only in the way the old blues guys stole from each other. And that goes for any style of music...nobody has a go at Dion for nicking Runaround Sue from Gary US Bond's Quarter To Three, despite the fact that it's near identical. So I don't see why this should be such a big deal.
    Last edited by Shaun Ponsonby; 11-02-2011 at 10:25 PM.

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaun Ponsonby View Post
    ^^^

You really haven't thought this through. Maybe you should come up with a better metaphor and re-post.
    It was bland sarcasm, asshole. Try not to take everything so seriously

Running with myself
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Johnny Cash was making better records when he was literally at death's door, than most people do in the prime of their lives.

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Would have loved to have seen this guy

@2:56 - made my brain hurt.
    Last edited by Kristy; 11-03-2011 at 12:12 AM.

Running with myself
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Geez... that douchebag can't even get my super secret evil lyrics right. Give a Devil some credit, asshole!

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Forwards or backwards, Zep is shit.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Would have loved to have seen this guy

@2:56 - made my brain hurt.
    He shouldn't be allowed out on his own, he needs medical help as his brain is malfunctioning.

Perpetually Befuddled
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Forwards or backwards, Zep is shit.
    Hmmm. And this is well thought-out opinion is based upon what, exactly? Oh, yeah...

I would not know any of this - the godawful 80's were before my time.
    Which would also seem to suggest that the God-awful seventies were before your time as well, wouldn't it? Strangely enough, you continue to speak as an authority on the subject. Then there is this:

Interesting commentary to make, considering one of your final posts before flaming out and disappearing the last time. A plagiarist? It would seem that you are quite qualified to speak of such things, being one yourself.

The Shifting Coalition

Please note post # 37: http://www.rotharmy.com/forums/showthread.php?62523-The-Shifting-Coalition&p=1545380&viewfull=1#post1545380

Look, I am the last guy to defend Jimmy Page (and to an extent, Robert Plant) for his songwriting that is pretty much based upon deceit and outright theft. Morally, much of the man's past is abhorrent to me. By the same token, I choose not to go about blasting people when I have neither the openly acknowledged expertise to speak about them, nor the proven moral high ground to do so.

Of course, your mileage may vary, and you are free to act upon it. Yet the next time you open your "know-it-all" mouth, perhaps you might consider your own credibility before doing so. One more thing...

Do you see this?

Go fuck yourself with it.
    Knock it off, as you really have no ground to go about advising anyone about much of anything.

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
    ― Stephen Hawking

"EVERYBODY UP!!!"™
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

"EVERYBODY UP!!!"™
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Diamondjimi View Post
    Are you even a musician?
    Judging by your highly critical statements, you must possess a number of degree's in various types of music theory and musicology....

Here's an idea. why not list the artists you appreciate, and explain their brilliance in great detail with as much exuberance as you express your hate....
    Somehow I doubt you are capable of this....
    Pathetic comeback. Typical of one who simply can't answer the question.
    Nice copy and paste (in Chefs link) hypocrite.

Time for you to log out and fuck off..... AGAIN!

Underwhelmist
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    It was bland sarcasm, asshole. Try not to take everything so seriously
    It was hyerbolic sarcasm, arsehole. Try not to take everything so seriously.

Maybe we should trade. I'll take your blandness, you take my hyperbole.

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by chefcraig View Post
    Hmmm. And this is well thought-out opinion is based upon what, exactly? Oh, yeah...
    For someone who stalks another person and the friends of that person on the internet shouldn't speak so freely. Even since Panamark left and you took over as "supermodertor" you've been a downright asshole chastising those who don't quite agree with your point of view. I never claimed my "opinion" was "well thought out" nor do I need to as seeing many on here are not. And please don't tell me to knock it off when you're pulling the same tactics, asshole.

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaun Ponsonby View Post
    It was hyerbolic sarcasm, arsehole. Try not to take everything so seriously.
    I never do.

Perpetually Befuddled
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    For someone who stalks another person and the friends of that person on the internet shouldn't speak so freely. Even since Panamark left and you took over as "supermodertor" you've been a downright asshole chastising those who don't quite agree with your point of view. I never claimed my "opinion" was "well thought out" nor do I need to as seeing many on here are not. And please don't tell me to knock it off when you're pulling the same tactics, asshole.
    Interesting. Not only am I a stalker, but an asshole as well. At least I can occasionally come up with some concrete facts to support my ideas, rather than basing my opinions entirely on ignorance or stealing them outright. But then again, you admittedly are too young to have established anything like depth or life experience, so everyone gets the benefit of your insight-free pissiness whether they wish to hear about it or not. You are like an adolescent that screams "Listen to me, I have something to say!" yet given the opportunity, fails miserably to deliver. Repeatedly.

Why not go back beneath whatever rock you'd slithered under? It's not like your absence was remotely acknowledged, let alone recognized.

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Actually, it's not interesting at all that you're a stalker and an asshole. Your argument is old and noted but it doesn't change what you are. And really, try not to play the age card. It makes you look older and more ridiculous than you already are.

Perpetually Befuddled
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Actually, it's not interesting at all that you're a stalker and an asshole. Your argument is old and noted but it doesn't change what you are. And really, try not to play the age card. It makes you look older and more ridiculous than you already are.
    You have no idea of how ancient (and therefor ridiculous) I actually am. Trust me, I fart dust.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    The advantage of not existing in the 70's is not being around to be sexually molested with a mud shark by Jimmy Page.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by chefcraig View Post
    You have no idea of how ancient (and therefor ridiculous) I actually am. Trust me, I fart dust.

We already know that.

Perpetually Befuddled
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitro Express View Post
    We already know that.

"EVERYBODY UP!!!"™
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    The bag of bones from Denver avoids answering my questions because she knows I'm right. Why is she even here?

I have my doubts that she even likes Van Halen, let alone Dave...

Thread Information