Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: U2 enters the "megadeluxe remaster sweepstakes" with 20th Anniversary of Achtung Baby

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:33 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,296 Times in 4,721 Posts

U2 enters the "megadeluxe remaster sweepstakes" with 20th Anniversary of Achtung Baby

And this might be the most goddamned confusing deluxe remaster yet.........

Achtung Baby Anniversary Edition: What It Has and What It's Missing

@U2, August 08, 2011
    By: Aaron J. Sams

U2 has announced a newly packaged version of Achtung Baby in time for the 20th anniversary of the original release. In some package variations, Zooropa is also being included.

Five versions of the album will be released: a one-disc version, a two-CD Deluxe Edition, a four-LP vinyl box set, a Super Deluxe Edition with six CDs and four DVDs, and finally, the Uber Deluxe Edition, which includes a staggering six CDs, four DVDs, five 7-inch vinyl records and two 12-inch vinyl records. The track list has been listed on Universal's Web store, although with a note that it may change before the release. This article is based on the initial list of tracks (which has since been removed).

Among the tracks included are rare remixes, new remixes, new demo versions of well-known songs, and new songs never before released, as well as the two albums we know and love, Achtung Baby and Zooropa. Both are described as "the original album" -- no mention has been made that they were remastered. They are both due to be part of the remastering project that has stopped at The Joshua Tree at this time, but so far the promotion of this collection has not mentioned that either has been remastered, although I remain hopeful.

2-CD Deluxe Edition

The deluxe edition is a two-CD set. The first disc is Achtung Baby and the second disc is a compilation of tracks from that era. This second disc does not appear in the deluxe box sets that are being released and thus far is listed as having a different track list:

"Lady With The Spinning Head (UV1)" / "Blow Your House – Analogue Mix Bono Edit 190711" / "Salomé" / "Even Better Than The Real Thing (Single)" / "Satellite Of Love" / "Wild Horses (Temple Bar Remix)" / "Paint It Black" / "Real Thing (Fish Out Of Water Mix)" / "Mysterious Ways (The Perfecto Remix)" / "Night And Day (Steel String Remix)" / "The Lounge Fly Mix" / "Fortunate Son" / "Alex Descends Into Hell For A Bottle Of Milk / Korova 1" / "Where Did It All Go Wrong"

If you buy one of the deluxe edition boxes with six CDs you will get all of the above tracks, but spread out over a number of discs. This CD is a mix of the material found on discs three, four and five of the box sets.

Many of the tracks here have been widely released on singles, which are still relatively easy to find and many fans will already own. The real story in this release is the new tracks, such as the track titled "Blow Your House." Also included is a new remix, "Even Better Than The Real Thing (Fish Out Of Water)," which may be familiar to fans as the version that recently opened the 360 tour. A final gift in this package is "Mysterious Ways (The Perfecto Remix)," which has been relatively difficult to find, appearing only on Melon, an Australian CD single, some rare vinyl releases and a couple of promotional CDs, most noticeably on Previously. All the other tracks on this release are taken from the b-sides to the commercially released singles.

Vinyl Box set

The vinyl box set offers Achtung Baby spread across two 12-inch records, as well as two 12-inch records filled with remixes. Two of the discs in this package are said to be a clear blue vinyl.

"Even Better Than The Real Thing (Perfecto Mix)" / "Night and Day (Twilight Remix)" / "Mysterious Ways (The Perfecto Remix)" / "Even Better Than The Real Thing (Fish Out Of Water Mix)" / "Salomé (Zooromancer Remix)" / "Mysterious Ways (Solar Plexus Club Mix)" / "Lemon (Perfecto Mix)"

No new songs here, but the set does include a new remix and a couple of rarer songs. The new remix, again, is "Even Better Than The Real Thing (Fish Out Of Water Mix)" as is the case with the deluxe CD. "Night and Day (Twilight Mix)" was only released on the Out Loud compilation on CD, and on the "Night and Day" promo vinyl. Strangely enough, if you want this track you will have to buy the vinyl as it currently is not listed on any of the CD options of this 20th anniversary package. Also, as mentioned above in discussing the deluxe CD, "Mysterious Ways (The Perfecto Mix)" isn't the easiest mix to find. "Lemon (The Perfecto Mix)" was not released on the "Stay" single in North America as it was in other territories.

"Night and Day (Twilight Remix)" may not be the only exclusive to this vinyl set, as old versions of "Mysterious Ways (Solar Plexus Club Mix)" are a different edit (4:01) than the "Mysterious Ways (Solar Plexus Extended Club Mix)" (7:01) that had previously been released.

Uber and Super Deluxe box sets

The discs appearing in the Uber Deluxe edition and the Super Deluxe edition both appear to be the same. There are six audio CDs released in each. Disc one and two are Achtung Baby and Zooropa, and are listed with no additional tracks.

The other four CDs are a mix of old remixes and b-sides, new songs, new remixes, and demo versions of the album tracks. These four bonus CDs are unique to the box sets, and are different from the CD included with the two-CD deluxe version, discussed above.

Disc Three (Uber Remixes)

"Night And Day (Steel String Remix)" / "Even Better Than The Real Thing (Perfecto Mix)" / "Mysterious Ways (Solar Plexus Extended Club Mix)" / "Lemon (Perfecto Mix)" / "Can't Help Falling In Love (Triple Peaks Remix)" / "Lady With The Spinning Head (Extended Dance Remix)" / "Even Better Than The Real Thing (V16 Exit Wound Remix)" / "Mysterious Ways (Ultimatum Mix)" / "The Lounge Fly Mix" / "Mysterious Ways (The Perfecto Remix)" / "One (Apollo 440) – Mix Master [S-109]"

No new songs there, right? But as a collector I am excited to see some previously hard-to-find mixes appearing on this set, as well as some that have never been released on vinyl. As with the releases above I will not be discussing mixes that appeared on the commercial singles in many territories.

The first thing to jump out is an Apollo 440 remix of "One" – this is a new remix, and in 1992 there were no remixes released of this song. Apollo 440 was heavily involved with remixing other tracks from that era including multiple mixes of "Mysterious Ways" and "Even Better Than The Real Thing."
    Some rarer tracks here include "Mysterious Ways (Ultimatum Mix)," which was released only on a 12-inch vinyl single, and a special free CD given away in Australia and various promotional releases. "Lemon (The Perfecto Mix)" was not released on the "Stay" single in North America as it was in other territories. "Mysterious Ways (The Perfecto Mix)" is also difficult to find, although a little easier, having appeared on the fan club release Melon.

Disc Four (Unter Remixes)

"Mysterious Ways (Tabla Motown Remix)" / "Mysterious Ways (Apollo 440 Magic Hour Remix)" / "Can't Help Falling In Love (Mystery Train Dub)" / "One (Apollo 440) – Ambient Master [S-109]" / "Lemon (Momo's Reprise)" / "Salomé (Zooromancer Remix)" / "Even Better Than The Real Thing (Trance Mix)" / "Numb (Gimme Some More Dignity Mix)" / "Mysterious Ways (Solar Plexus Magic Hour Remix)" / "Numb (The Soul Assassins Mix)" / "Even Better Than The Real Thing (Apollo 440 Stealth Sonic Remix)"

Disc four has another remix of "One" by Apollo 440 as a new track, this one called the "Ambient Master" in the notes supplied by Universal. All of the other remixes on this disc have been previously released; however, as with the other disc some of these have never been widely released. "Can't Help Falling In Love (Mystery Train Dub)" has been released only as a b-side to a promotional release of the "Salome (Zooromancer Remix)" and has never been released on CD. "Lemon (Momo's Reprise)" has likewise only appeared on vinyl, but at least one that was released commercially, a 12-inch yellow vinyl single for "Lemon." "Even Better Than The Real Thing (Trance Remix)" also only appeared on vinyl, on the 12-inch single and promo for "Even Better Than The Real Thing." Both the "Lemon" and the "Even Better Than The Real Thing" mixes were released in a compressed digital form as part of The Complete U2 in iTunes. One final rare remix is the "Mysterious Ways (Solar Plexus Magic Hour Remix)" which has long been one of my favorite remixes. This remix only appeared on the 7-inch vinyl and cassette releases of the single, and wasn't included on most pressings of the CD. One exception? You could find it on a 3-inch CD single pressed in Japan.

Disc Five (B-sides and Bonus Tracks)

"Lady With The Spinning Head (UV1)" / "Blow Your House – Analogue Mix Bono Edit 190711" / "Salomé" / "Even Better Than The Real Thing (Single)" / "Satellite Of Love" / "Wild Horses (Temple Bar Remix)" / "Heaven And Hell – In Truth Mix 211711" / "Oh Berlin – Analogue Mix 1 190711" / "Near the Island (Instr) Night Train From Rostock" / "Down All The Days (Vsn 1) [CD#4/07]" / "Paint It Black" / "Fortunate Son" / "Alex Descends Into Hell For A Bottle Of Milk / Korova 1" / "Where Did It All Go Wrong" / "Everybody Loves A Winner Edit Between Take 2+3" / "Even Better Than The Real Thing (Fish Out Of Water Mix)"

If you are not a fan of remixes, then disc five is the place to head to find some truly new released material from the band. On this disc "Blow Your House," "Heaven and Hell," "Oh Berlin," "Near The Island," "Down All The Days," and "Everybody Loves A Winner" are all new. These are six new songs unearthed from the material recorded during the Berlin sessions in 1990. Only one of these, "Blow Your House," appears on the two-CD deluxe version of the album.

This disc also features the new "Fish Out Of Water Mix" of "Even Better Than The Real Thing" which was used extensively in the live version performed during the recent 360 tour. The other songs on this CD are readily available on the commercially released singles from Achtung Baby.

Disc Six ("Baby" Achtung Baby)

"Baby" Zoo Station / "Baby" Even Better Than The Real Thing / "Baby" One / "Baby" Until The End Of The World / "Baby" Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses / "Baby" So Cruel / "Baby" The Fly / "Baby" Mysterious Ways / "Baby" Tryin' To Throw Your Arms Around The World / "Baby" Ultra Violet (Light My Way) / "Baby" Acrobat / "Baby" Love Is Blindness

This is a disc of early demo versions of the songs that would later make up Achtung Baby. We may have heard "Until the End Of The World" previously as part of a soundtrack of a movie with the same name, but I'm guessing this will be all new. I'm excited to hear the "work in progress" tracks as much as anything in the collection.

What's missing?

A couple of tracks appear to be missing here. "Slow Dancing" was released during this period. The original version of "Night and Day" from the Red Hot and Blue album is not included, nor is the original version of "Can't Help Falling In Love" from the Honeymoon In Vegas soundtrack. "I've Got You Under My Skin" was also released as a b-side to "Stay" and is not included. And "Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me" might fit better with this set than anywhere else.

There were also alternate versions of "Until The End Of The World," "Stay" and "The Wanderer" released during this time on soundtracks, none of which I expect to see based on the information in these track lists. And U2 could have easily included a seventh disc with the live tracks released during this period on singles or compilations, and even on the promo Zoo Radio Transmit.

The one remix I really would have liked to see included is the "Perfecto Mix" of "Numb" instead of the more commercially available remixes included here. That version has only been released on a promotional CD. I am still hopeful that the "Video Remix" of "Numb" is included in the DVD extras. Other mixes are not included here, including multiple mixes of "Lemon" and "Even Better Than The Real Thing," and a few mixes from the fan club-only release, Melon.

Finally, I'm hoping the sixth disc of demo versions solves the puzzle of the Achtung Baby Solicitation Kit that was released for promotion of the album in 1991. That promotional release contained a video with a different mix of "Mysterious Ways," as well as a different vocal take of "One." These were not full songs but just snippets of the alternate edits. I'm hoping these are the versions on this demo CD, or there will still be material I'll be searching for. But for now, this uber set sure has the collector in me drooling.

(c) @U2/Sams, 2011.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

It will be interesting to hear what "Heaven & Hell" sounds like, as a finished song, since it was probably one of the more interesting demos from that well publicized leaked demo tape that came out some 9 months before the original Achtung Baby album did.

I can see how it may have been left off the album, because it didn't really fit the style of the record.... but I still can't believe it sat around collecting dust for 20 years.

"EVERYBODY UP!!!"™
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-20-2021 @ 05:28 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,978 Times in 1,378 Posts

Like Pink Floyd , U2 is another band who certainly don't need the money. It's just another case of giving their fans everything they can.
    Ed and Shemp would do good by following suit. They offer nothing to their fans, yet somehow they maintain the ideal that VH is still on on the world stage. Sadly not. Only to
    casual & die hard VH fans...
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Always thought this one had potential too, so it should be interesting to see how they "finished" it...

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:23 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,579 Times in 3,458 Posts

I can't hardly wait. Achtung Baby is an album that could actually use a solid remaster...

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:14 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,752 Times in 2,062 Posts

Blog Entries
    It just never ends.

it's getting hot in here
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    04-02-2024 @ 07:15 PM
    Status
    Thanks

As far as digging into the vaults and giving the fans what they want - ditto The Who. I bought the 3x vinyl LP version of Who's Next a couple of years ago - it was quite modestly packaged, just three LPs in gatefold with an essay by Townshend on the inside fold-out. But, all welcome additions to the original single album. There's more, too - the Lifehouse releases are the Townshend demos for Who's Next, and there are a few versions of that.

They have done similar with Live at Leeds.

This below, which I snapped from a magazine ad, is more along the lines of the U2 mega reissue idea:

Last edited by VHscraps; 10-30-2011 at 08:11 AM. Reason: typos

it's getting hot in here
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Checked prices for The Who - Ł70.99 UK and $117.18 US. Good value.

As I said on another thread - the one speculating on the VH documentary - one way to sell the new album (i.e., persuade people to actually buy it, rather than just downloaded it, perhaps illegally) is to make a deluxe package.

Radiohead gave away an album online (or whatever the fans wanted to pay), but then still shifted a lot of copies when they released it physically as a box set with several vinyl albums, CDs, etc.

The problem up at Howdy Doody mountain, as Dave used to call it, is that they have zero marketing nous. I wonder sometimes what the role of Irving Azoff is - there's a guy, supposed to be the manager (rather than the PR wife, who does zero PR), who has managed some of the biggest acts in rock history - yet, you still get the impression VH will be totally clueless about marketing and packaging any new or reissued material.

Knows what that'll ge'her
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    07-15-2018 @ 10:55 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Remastered U2 albums...talk about polishing a turd.

Can they find a way to make Bono even more of a preachy bitch on the remasters?

10. Thanked Mr. Vengeance for this KICKASS post:

Yount (03-31-2012)

Perpetually Befuddled
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-01-2017 @ 12:20 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,052 Times in 2,583 Posts

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by Nickdfresh View Post
    I can't hardly wait. Achtung Baby is an album that could actually use a solid remaster...
    It may not have been remastered...

Achtung Baby: Not Remastered, After All

atu2.com

@U2, October 21, 2011
    By: Matt McGee / @mattmcgee

It looks like we can all put to rest the ongoing Is-it-remastered-or-not? question. Responding today to fans on Twitter, Neil McCormick reported that the Achtung Baby remaster -- which he received earlier this week -- is not remastered. His first tweet:

In answer to queries about Achtung Baby, I went to the source. It hasn't been remastered because it "didn't need to be", apparently ...

He followed that with more info:

It's been sonically tweaked & polished but not, technically, remastered. Hope that makes more sense to you than it does to me. #U2 #Achtung

And then one final tweet:

I'm just telling you what I've been told. Not remastered. But tweaked & boosted. Its definitely louder. #U2 #Achtung

This has been a really strange issue to follow. When the Achtung Baby anniversary edition was first announced in August, the official page at achtungbaby.u2.com made no mention of the word "remastered." But earlier this month, when the full track list was announced, that page had been updated and mentioned that the Achtung Baby CDs (but not Zooropa) were remastered. About a week ago, our friends at U2tour.de noticed that "remastered" had been removed from the official page. And the word currently doesn't appear on that official page. Strange, to say the least.
    Last edited by chefcraig; 10-30-2011 at 12:55 PM.

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by chefcraig View Post

I'm just telling you what I've been told. Not remastered. But tweaked & boosted. Its definitely louder.
    See? SEE? It's all a marketing rip off scam. Louder for the Mp3/ACC format listening. I made the same mistake when buying those Kraftwerk "remasters" - there was nothing remastered (and I'm not sure what remastered even means anymore) if anything, they were louder - annoyingly louder.

Perpetually Befuddled
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-01-2017 @ 12:20 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,052 Times in 2,583 Posts

They probably boosted the EQ levels on the master, in effect making it that when you twist the volume on your stereo, instead of starting at say 1, it now starts around 3 or 4. By jacking up the level, it creates a false sense of involvement by inundating the listener with sound. It is an annoying byproduct of the digital age, one that has been going on since sometime in the late 1990s and used by tone-deaf producers or those in charge of album mastering to disastrous effect, most notably on the last Metallica album. Virtually every instrument is amplified far beyond a realistic tonal range, thus making everything unnaturally loud and destroying any hope of subtlety. The effect is much like someone standing too close to you, invading your personal space and on top of that, yelling at you. Or a Michael Bay film, there is little distinction between the two.
    Last edited by chefcraig; 10-30-2011 at 02:04 PM.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    04-14-2024 @ 05:59 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,283 Times in 1,501 Posts

Blog Entries
    Meh.

My twenty year old cd of Achtung Baby is holding up just fine.

Suppose this deluxe version is a good thing for diehard U2 fans, but I've kind of reached the point where it's too tiring and redundant to keep repaying for things I already own just because new 'collector's/deluxe/remastered/director's cut' versions of various films/albums are released. Plus, these reissues tend to tinker with stuff that was done just fine the first time around, and is still holding up just fine today.

Some superfans probably want every bit of material they can get their hands on. Fair enough. I can understand it. I'm just getting tired of old material being repackaged across the board, regardless of the amount of outtakes and alternate versions.

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Achtung Baby was probably the last U2 album and certainly the last reputable one Daniel Lanois produced with the band (actually Lanois last decent production effort was 1995's Emmylou Harris 'Wrecking Ball'). In terms of songwriting it was one of Bono's best. The album was definitely dark (thanks to Lanois) but it has no true quality substance to back it up expect maybe in a few areas such as Love Is Blindness and So Cruel but what killed the potential that Achtung Baby could have been was Edge's overuse of effects - not only doubling up delays which gave him his tone but loads of other shit to the point where it almost sounded like a guitar-driven Kraftwerk album. You could blame that on Eno's influence to further generate a ambient atmosphere but on Achtung it just fails; Edge's guitar work is sloppy and unpredictable being too loud or too soft and at times you can almost feel Bono's frustration trying to fight around it. Still, it kicks the shit out of 'Pop' and 'Zooropa' two albums that should never be included in the U2 canon.

16. Thanked Kristy for this KICKASS post:

Nickdfresh (03-30-2012)

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:01 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,014 Times in 3,249 Posts

Blog Entries
    I think the Joshua Tree is their best album. Achtung Baby never did anything for me. It was the begining of the rediculous period of US morphing into that Pop Mart thing that was so horrid and they even admit that themselves.

Anyways. Our singer can not only sing like Bono but play like the Edge. We have done so many U2 songs and even though people love it and say we are good, I'm sick as shit playing U2 songs. I'm burnt on it.

it's getting hot in here
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I prefer Zooropa to Achtung Baby these days. I think the tunes are better - 'Stay' and 'Lemon' are two songs I particularly like - and it sonically kicks more ass. Never bought an album by them since, though.

What if Eno and Lanois produced VH?

U2 - Stay by guimolina

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by VHscraps View Post

What if Eno and Lanois produced VH?
    Be interesting but would never work. Don't think Eddie is one to have anyone to tell him to adjust his guitar amp settings then again Lanois would bring out Eddie's keyboard playing

it's getting hot in here
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kristy View Post
    Be interesting but would never work. Don't think Eddie is one to have anyone to tell him to adjust his guitar amp settings then again Lanois would bring out Eddie's keyboard playing
    And that's a shame, really. I think Eddie was probably more experimentally-minded in his 20s, and maybe more open to a producer telling him to try and forget what he would usually do. What did he do on his last album, the disaster that was VHIII? He hired the guy who wrote the theme tune to Hill Street Blues (Mike Post). (I only heard that for the first time about a year ago - truly, madly, godawful)

Excuse me for littering the thread with another clip of 'Stay', this one from the ZooTV concert film:

Last edited by VHscraps; 10-30-2011 at 07:03 PM. Reason: typos

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Vengeance View Post
    Remastered U2 albums...talk about polishing a turd.

Can they find a way to make Bono even more of a preachy bitch on the remasters?
    Have you actually ever listened to Achtung Baby? Not exactly preachy...

Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    04-14-2018 @ 02:00 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by VHscraps View Post
    I prefer Zooropa to Achtung Baby these days. I think the tunes are better - 'Stay' and 'Lemon' are two songs I particularly like - and it sonically kicks more ass. Never bought an album by them since, though. ...
    I also prefer Zooropa...

Running with myself
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    06-13-2016 @ 11:12 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Always preferred this one in its early hippy psychedelic phase, before Bono totally rewrote the lyrics and came up with the whole Judas and JC theme....

This ain't in the box, by the way.

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I'd like to see this one show up in the remaster, but I don't see it listed......

Pretty much the exact same musical track as the B-side "Lady With The Spinning Head", but the vocals here are totally different. Bono seems to have overdubbed himself, singing two entirely different things. At one point, he's singing "Wake Up Dead Man" which would later turn up on the Pop album, and there's another bit in here which would be cannibalized into the intro to "UltraViolet", but I always kinda liked this one as it is.

THE SHEEP PEN
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:30 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,044 Times in 486 Posts

Kind of sad to see ZOOROPA just thrown in there as a bonus with no extra content to represent it.

I have to say this: ACHTUNG BABY may be U2's second-best album, but ZOOROPA (to me) is the very best one. It just has an incredible edge, a complete lack of preachy-ness and songs with endless possibilities.

DADDY'S GONNA PAY FOR YOUR CRASHED CAR
    LEMON
    THE WANDERER (great Johnny Cash vocal)

...and my favorite, maybe my favorite U2 song...DIRTY DAY. This song smokes in the ZOO T.V. concert film from Sydney.

So, for this fantastic album to simply be a bonus disc on this box set (a box set just named after ACHTUNG BABY)...it's kind of disappointing. None of the bonus tracks represent ZOOROPA. SLOW DANCING was a nice B-Side (I own the CD-single for STAY, so I'm covered...but it should be on there). Also, the band stated in their autobiography that there were a few things left off ZOOROPA, and this would be a nice time for them to come out. An early version of WAKE UP DEAD MAN was supposed to be cut in '93. And few people know this, but the awesome single HOLD ME, THRILL ME was actually an outtake from the ZOOROPA sessions. It would be nice to hear the early version from '93 as a bonus track...and maybe also the final track from the soundtrack could be in the box set next to SLOW DANCING.

And frankly, ZOOROPA was such a progressive time for them that they could have at least included a half-hour documentary on the making of the album. Talk about recording on the go, literally cutting the album in a few weeks while they were still touring the world with ZOO T.V.

I love ZOOROPA...one of my Top 10 favorite albums.

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I'm a tad surprised by the love for Zoopora here, but I love it too. But Achtung Baby for me will always be the penultimate album not only by U2, but by anyone. It's hard to explain to anyone who was a bit young to remember, but I didn't particularly like U2 when in high school (I was offered free tickets to see them in Buffalo in 1987 during the concert famous for Bono losing his head and threatening a fan after said fan kept grabbing his broken arm in a cast) for their "preachy" nice guy image and declined. But the minute I heard the industrial guitar of The Fly on the radio, and literally saying "who the fuck are these guys?" I was hooked...

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Zooropa definitely had its good points, but I hate Lemon even more than I hate the disco crap on POP or some of the more useless "experiments" on the "Passengers" album.

What they really should have included in the box though, is the live show from Dublin in 1993. It was broadcast live worldwide on the radio at the time, and has been widely bootlegged since, in various degrees of quality, but at least one version circulating was very obviously a professional recording, so the tapes are in the vault somewhere.

THE SHEEP PEN
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Nickdfresh View Post
    I'm a tad surprised by the love for Zoopora here, but I love it too. But Achtung Baby for me will always be the penultimate album not only by U2, but by anyone. It's hard to explain to anyone who was a bit young to remember, but I didn't particularly like U2 when in high school (I was offered free tickets to see them in Buffalo in 1987 during the concert famous for Bono losing his head and threatening a fan after said fan kept grabbing his broken arm in a cast) for their "preachy" nice guy image and declined. But the minute I heard the industrial guitar of The Fly on the radio, and literally saying "who the fuck are these guys?" I was hooked...
    Well, that's just it right there, isn't it? THE FLY. Great fucking song. Absolutely perfect representation of rock 'n' roll simplicity being the ultimate. That Edge riff sounds like it was written in five seconds but it says so much. But the real thing is the contrast to that lighter, organ-drenched, falsetto-led chorus. That sound, ladies and gentlemen, is the sound of 1991-1992 for me right there. I get so damn nostalgic for my high school years just hearing it.

I now like 80's U2, but it took me getting into ACHTUNG BABY (and then ZOOROPA) to dig those albums. And frankly, JOSHUA TREE and UNFORGETTABLE FIRE are farther down on my list. I like WAR the most out of their 80's albums. And BOY is fucking great too.

THE SHEEP PEN
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FORD View Post
    Zooropa definitely had its good points, but I hate Lemon even more than I hate the disco crap on POP or some of the more useless "experiments" on the "Passengers" album.

What they really should have included in the box though, is the live show from Dublin in 1993. It was broadcast live worldwide on the radio at the time, and has been widely bootlegged since, in various degrees of quality, but at least one version circulating was very obviously a professional recording, so the tapes are in the vault somewhere.
    Gotta respectfully disagree with you on this one, FORD (talking about LEMON, PASSENGERS and POP). I'm one of those people that is happy to moan that POP was woefully under-rated. Not a perfect album...but there is some amazing stuff there. STARING AT THE SUN is one of the band's best singles. And I still like DISCOTHEQUE. PASSENGERS had some great material. Had another of my very favorite U2 songs on it, YOUR BLUE ROOM. And LEMON? I still love it. Danced to it at my wedding.

BUT...your description of the Dublin '93 has me seeking the torrents right after I press "POST QUICK REPLY" here...

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Try this link. It's been there a while, but there seems to be some seeds on it still.

THE SHEEP PEN
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Much obliged, bro. Been on Trader's Den for years, but never saw this. Used your link and got a good download speed going now. Gonna crank this tomorrow while I clean the house.

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Incidentally, I was one of the suckers that ponied up the $130+ for the Deluxe™edition...but the 10 CD and DVD discs are far worth it. Kinder Achtung Baby is completely fascinating in itself as one can see the transformative genesis of the album, especially with the often completely differently themed lyrics and choruses...

Quote Originally Posted by Rikk View Post
    Well, that's just it right there, isn't it? THE FLY. Great fucking song. Absolutely perfect representation of rock 'n' roll simplicity being the ultimate. That Edge riff sounds like it was written in five seconds but it says so much. But the real thing is the contrast to that lighter, organ-drenched, falsetto-led chorus. That sound, ladies and gentlemen, is the sound of 1991-1992 for me right there. I get so damn nostalgic for my high school years just hearing it.
    'Sup RIKK. Have you The Lounge (Fly Mix)? simply brilliant, building into a 'big-music' crescendo...

...Gotta respectfully disagree with you on this one, FORD (talking about LEMON, and POP). I'm one of those people that is happy to moan that POP was woefully under-rated. Not a perfect album...but there is some amazing stuff there. STARING AT THE SUN is one of the band's best singles. And I still like DISCOTHEQUE. PASSENGERS had some great material. Had another of my very favorite U2 songs on it, YOUR BLUE ROOM. And LEMON? I still love it. Danced to it at my wedding.

I respectfully agree in the context that the Pop songs are much better stripped down live with guitar fill. I downloaded the Sarajevo Popmart bootleg (where Bono's voice is shit, but surprisingly yields a better version of Discotheque with a low blues growl to compensate for his lack of mid-range). And the live Popmuzik intro fading into Mofo still gives me the chills sometimes. Gone maybe one of the best U2 songs written when performed properly...

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    I just now picked this up used for @$10. Noticeable differences are Clayton's bass lines which are punchy and clear and Bono's exasperated singing. The second disc which is unissued b-sides and remixes does leave a lot to the imagination; much is filler like the same shit they pulled on the deluxe of Joshua Tree where there was major studio gimmicky going on. This is going on first listen but I cannot believe how prevalent the bass is brought to the fore here without sounding too boomy. Still, worth the $10 indeed.

Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

... Noticeable differences are Clayton's bass lines which are punchy and clear and Bono's exasperated singing. ...

This is going on first listen but I cannot believe how prevalent the bass is brought to the fore here without sounding too boomy. ...
    Are you a sound engineer, Kristy. You must have good ears.

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I just now picked this up used for @$10. Noticeable differences are Clayton's bass lines which are punchy and clear and Bono's exasperated singing. The second disc which is unissued b-sides and remixes does leave a lot to the imagination; much is filler like the same shit they pulled on the deluxe of Joshua Tree where there was major studio gimmicky going on. This is going on first listen but I cannot believe how prevalent the bass is brought to the fore here without sounding too boomy. Still, worth the $10 indeed.
    You should hear Kinder-Achtung Baby with everything stripped down and in proto-form...

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Etienne View Post
    Are you a sound engineer, Kristy. You must have good ears.
    Most "remasters" sound tweaked to me. I always thought this was The Edge's most bombastic guitar playing than on any other U2 record but it seems to overshadow the work between Clayton and Mullen. Those two play pretty tight together and on the Lanois-produced tunes, you can see that Lanois sort of stripped Mullen's playing by taking away the snare and have him alternate between kick and floor tom and er, desnared snare. Clayton seems to have this dreamy, no, almost murky Fender (I assume he is playing a Fender) Precision sound that I never noticed before; together they create a really unique sonic backdrop for The Edge to go nuts over. I have a 10" sub and its rattling the place.

The b-sides of Lou Reed's 'Satellite of Love' should have been left alone along with the Stones 'Paint It Black' However, the "The Perfecto Mix' of 'Mysterious Ways' is quite good.

Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Are you a Daniel Lanois fan, Kristy? Do you have the album Us from Peter Gabriel. It's a typical Daniel Lanois co-production. Lot's of different colors of instruments and the whole record with a tendency to the experimental side.

Rock God
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-03-2024 @ 04:13 AM
    A Small Dive in a trashy neighborhood somewhere on Fornax 9
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,616 Times in 1,647 Posts

The U2 concert DVD I am editing is fantastic. Here is just one aspect of the Nashville show....an impromptu version of the Wanderer thrown in at the end of "Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For":

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Wow. Has The Edge gained a lot of weight? U2 give props to Del Shannon. Who knew?

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Are you a Daniel Lanois fan, Kristy? Do you have the album Us from Peter Gabriel. It's a typical Daniel Lanois co-production. Lot's of different colors of instruments and the whole record with a tendency to the experimental side.
    I really, really love 'For The Beauty Of Wynona' although it is too dark at times too listen to. That whole record is about a man's decent into total madness over a woman although Lanois seems to pull it off without it becoming too personal. Odd.

To me, his best production efforts to date were on Peter Gabriel's 'So' and Emmylou Harris' 'Wrecking Ball' (which, by the way, Larry Mullen did play on). That album is extremely dark as well. Sometimes it's like Lanois channels some strange spirits before a single note is ever played.
    Last edited by Kristy; 03-30-2012 at 07:25 PM.

41. Thanked Kristy for this KICKASS post:

kwame k (03-30-2012)

Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

For me Lanois is a master of "painting" soundscapes, so imaginative. When I listen to his music I can see sceneries of movies.

Did he also made some film soundtracks in the past?

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    For me Lanois is a master of "painting" soundscapes, so imaginative. When I listen to his music I can see sceneries of movies.

Did he also made some film soundtracks in the past?
    I'm not sure. Perhaps you're thinking of Ry Cooder?

Thread Information