U2 enters the "megadeluxe remaster sweepstakes" with 20th Anniversary of Achtung Baby

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kristy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Aug 2004

I just now picked this up used for @$10. Noticeable differences are Clayton's bass lines which are punchy and clear and Bono's exasperated singing. The second disc which is unissued b-sides and remixes does leave a lot to the imagination; much is filler like the same shit they pulled on the deluxe of Joshua Tree where there was major studio gimmicky going on. This is going on first listen but I cannot believe how prevalent the bass is brought to the fore here without sounding too boomy. Still, worth the $10 indeed.

Comment

• Etienne
      Commando
      • Aug 2010

Originally posted by Kristy
      ... Noticeable differences are Clayton's bass lines which are punchy and clear and Bono's exasperated singing. ...

This is going on first listen but I cannot believe how prevalent the bass is brought to the fore here without sounding too boomy. ...
      Are you a sound engineer, Kristy. You must have good ears.

Comment

• Nickdfresh
        SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Originally posted by Kristy
        I just now picked this up used for @$10. Noticeable differences are Clayton's bass lines which are punchy and clear and Bono's exasperated singing. The second disc which is unissued b-sides and remixes does leave a lot to the imagination; much is filler like the same shit they pulled on the deluxe of Joshua Tree where there was major studio gimmicky going on. This is going on first listen but I cannot believe how prevalent the bass is brought to the fore here without sounding too boomy. Still, worth the $10 indeed.
        You should hear Kinder-Achtung Baby with everything stripped down and in proto-form...

Comment

• Kristy
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Etienne
          Are you a sound engineer, Kristy. You must have good ears.
          Most "remasters" sound tweaked to me. I always thought this was The Edge's most bombastic guitar playing than on any other U2 record but it seems to overshadow the work between Clayton and Mullen. Those two play pretty tight together and on the Lanois-produced tunes, you can see that Lanois sort of stripped Mullen's playing by taking away the snare and have him alternate between kick and floor tom and er, desnared snare. Clayton seems to have this dreamy, no, almost murky Fender (I assume he is playing a Fender) Precision sound that I never noticed before; together they create a really unique sonic backdrop for The Edge to go nuts over. I have a 10" sub and its rattling the place.

The b-sides of Lou Reed's 'Satellite of Love' should have been left alone along with the Stones 'Paint It Black' However, the "The Perfecto Mix' of 'Mysterious Ways' is quite good.

Comment

• Etienne
            Commando
            • Aug 2010

Are you a Daniel Lanois fan, Kristy? Do you have the album Us from Peter Gabriel. It's a typical Daniel Lanois co-production. Lot's of different colors of instruments and the whole record with a tendency to the experimental side.

Comment

• Hardrock69
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • Feb 2005

The U2 concert DVD I am editing is fantastic. Here is just one aspect of the Nashville show....an impromptu version of the Wanderer thrown in at the end of "Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For":

Comment

• Kristy
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • Aug 2004

Wow. Has The Edge gained a lot of weight? U2 give props to Del Shannon. Who knew?

Comment

• Kristy
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Aug 2004

Are you a Daniel Lanois fan, Kristy? Do you have the album Us from Peter Gabriel. It's a typical Daniel Lanois co-production. Lot's of different colors of instruments and the whole record with a tendency to the experimental side.
                  I really, really love 'For The Beauty Of Wynona' although it is too dark at times too listen to. That whole record is about a man's decent into total madness over a woman although Lanois seems to pull it off without it becoming too personal. Odd.

To me, his best production efforts to date were on Peter Gabriel's 'So' and Emmylou Harris' 'Wrecking Ball' (which, by the way, Larry Mullen did play on). That album is extremely dark as well. Sometimes it's like Lanois channels some strange spirits before a single note is ever played.
                  Last edited by Kristy; 03-30-2012, 07:25 PM.

Comment

• Etienne
                    Commando
                    • Aug 2010

For me Lanois is a master of "painting" soundscapes, so imaginative. When I listen to his music I can see sceneries of movies.

Did he also made some film soundtracks in the past?

Comment

• Kristy
                      DIAMOND STATUS
                      • Aug 2004

For me Lanois is a master of "painting" soundscapes, so imaginative. When I listen to his music I can see sceneries of movies.

Did he also made some film soundtracks in the past?
                      I'm not sure. Perhaps you're thinking of Ry Cooder?

Comment

• Etienne
                        Commando
                        • Aug 2010

Not Ry Cooder. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daniel_Lanois

Wikipedia says Lanois made two soundtracks. Lost In Mississippi and Sling Blade.

Must be very dark movies, maybe too dark for somedays.

Comment

• gbranton
                          Veteran
                          • Aug 2005

Ry Cooder sounds like something you would stay away from down South, lest you have to go see the doctor for a shot.
                          "Don't want 'em to get you goat, don't show 'em where it's hid." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• chefcraig
                            DIAMOND STATUS
                            • Apr 2004

Originally posted by gbranton
                            Ry Cooder sounds like something you would stay away from down South, lest you have to go see the doctor for a shot.
                            Wait a minute, wasn't he the mechanic on the Dukes Of Hazzard?

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
                            ― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• gbranton
                              Veteran
                              • Aug 2005

Originally posted by chefcraig
                              Wait a minute, wasn't he the mechanic on the Dukes Of Hazzard?

You are thinking of Wry Cooter.
                              "Don't want 'em to get you goat, don't show 'em where it's hid." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• FORD
                                ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Y'all have heard Ry Cooder, even if you didn't know it was him. Like on slide guitar here, for example.....

Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

Working...