Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • FORD
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Malloy never claimed to be a journalist, though he did write for CNN back when it was an actual news network and not part of the CIA propaganda front company known as "AOL".

RT is probably the most honest news network around. Sad that it's not actually on TV in most of the country. MSNBC? I'd say Rachel Maddow qualifies as a journalist. She's put her ass on the line and gone after the story herself on many occasions. But what 60 Minutes did, in its prime, was true investigative journalism. They exposed a lot of corrupt bullshit. Crooked bastards would piss their pants when they heard Mike Wallace was coming to their office. They aren't scared of CIA embed Scott Pelley, or CIA reject (and rich inheritance kid) Anderson Vanderbilt Cooper at all. And they definitely aren't scared of "obamaisacommiekenyan" on YouTube.
    Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Nitro Express
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Aug 2004

Mike Wallace could be bought off. The Mormons did. He could have really ripped into the Mormon church but instead he threw softballs in his interview with the Mormon prophet, became friends, and even wrote the intro to the Mormon prophet's autobiography.

That all started with a 60 Minutes interview. Pure softball. Of course when you are allowed to be one of the few journalists allowed to interview the Mormon prophet that is a stroke to the ego. Gordon B. Hinckley had Mike Wallace wrapped around his little finger.
      No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• Nitro Express
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • Aug 2004

The only real journalists now are freelancers and there are very few of them. Probably the last decent journalistic publication is ironically Rolling Stone magazine. They suck at rating who is a good guitarists but they do publish some good journalism. All the rest of the media is pretty much Citizen Kane shit.

Comment

• Nitro Express
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • Aug 2004

To be honest, I think 60 Minutes should give Malloy Rooney's old job. The old fuck is full of enough anger to probably do some good ranting.

Comment

• mdstl
            Roth Army Recruit
            • Jan 2006

Andy should have gotten 60 Rollover Minutes. He'd probably still be alive.
            m

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
              ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
              • Dec 2003

It's kinda sad I guess, but the first thing I thought of when I saw HOW he died was ALinchainz....

Rooney was 92, granted, but he died from complications from surgery, basically like Mick did....

You just never know what can happen when you go under the knife....
              Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• Hardrock69
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • Feb 2005

His "Cantankerous Old Man" thing was what he did. Thing is, he did what a lot of great comedians do: He bitched about stuff we all think about, even though WE may not actually complain about it. He was a "critic" of those little odd things that no other news person would even bother with.

He led a good long life. He deserved his success. Love him or hate him, he deserved every bit of it. And watching him on 60 Minutes, after seeing some segments that absolutely would piss anyone off (about gummint corruption, political crap, corporate skullduggery, Wall Street thievery), he never failed to make me smile. Sorta like a little bit of comedic relief at the end of a depressing movie.

Some see him as just a bitchy old man. But he was funny, in his own way.

R.I.P. MISTER Rooney. Much respect to you sir. Thanks for everything you brought to TV news.
                Last edited by Hardrock69; 11-06-2011, 01:21 AM.

Comment

• High Life Man
                  Commando
                  • Jan 2004

60 Minutes should hire Lewis Black to take Rooney's chair.

Comment

• chefcraig
                    DIAMOND STATUS
                    • Apr 2004

Originally posted by High Life Man
                    60 Minutes should hire Lewis Black to take Rooney's chair.
                    I was thinking the same thing myself yesterday. Two minutes of Black is worth 2 hours of just about any other observational comic working these days.

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
                    ― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• High Life Man
                      Commando
                      • Jan 2004

Originally posted by chefcraig
                      I was thinking the same thing myself yesterday. Two minutes of Black is worth 2 hours of just about any other observational comic working these days.
                      He's funny, he's relevant and he has a message. Rooney was 2 minutes of inane bullshit.

Comment

• fryingdutchman
                        Full Member Status

• Feb 2005

Yes, Andy was a cranky old fuck, but he was the first one to admit it and he practically wore it like a badge of honor.

I think his last words on "60 Minutes" were something like ..."If you see me in a restaurant, just leave me be" or something to that effect.

It was observational humor, which grew increasingly political as years passed. Some like it, some didn't. But at the end of the day Andy didn't give a shit and he'd let you know that in no uncertain terms.

Rest In Peace, Andy.
                        Originally posted by perilouspete
                        fryingdutchman you pretty much own everyone.....sick comebacks, well put. top class wit.

Comment

• Seshmeister
                          ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Originally posted by chefcraig
                          Came across him through Curb, Louis CK is good too.

Actually what would be better would be 2 minutes of Doug Stanhope who is actually more successful here than over there.

Not sure CBS is quite ready for him though...

<object width="480" height="360"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/QjsikRTIX28?version=3&amp;hl=en_GB"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/QjsikRTIX28?version=3&amp;hl=en_GB" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="480" height="360" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Comment

• Hardrock69
                            DIAMOND STATUS
                            • Feb 2005

Saw the "memorial" piece on him on 60 M last night. Happened to be at my Mom's house and she had it on.

I still hold to my statement about his essays being comedic relief for the fucking corruption stories on earlier in the show. Last night was a fucking doozy....more crap about the corruption that goes on in the Republican Party (not saying Democrats are any less corrupt).

They showed some interviews with him that changed my opinion of him as a person.

He was a jackass. Yes, a cranky old motherfucker. Morley Schaffer asked him why he refused to sign autographs for people.

He said something like "I get PAID to write. What person in their right mind is going to find value in me writing my name on a scrap of paper?"

Fuck that motherfucker!

He should be HONORED that people think enough of him to want his autograph as a memento.

I can understand him not wanting to be hassled or bothered while eating in a restaurant....but he derides his viewing public....putting them down for thinking he is worthy of attention......

So, as stated above...his pieces on 60 minutes were quirky, curmudgeonly, etc. but they DID have some entertainment value. He pretty much despised rock music.

But yes, he was a cranky old bastard and I have decided after watching interviews with him last night that I am not going to miss his crap at all. If I need comedic relief after watching 60 Minutes, I can read some of the bullshit posted here by some of the troll fucks that stop in from time to time.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                              DIAMOND STATUS
                              • Aug 2004

I think we are seeing the parties themselves have been hijacked. After looking at how the Obama Administration has behaved I swear the Koch Brothers probably bought the Democrats off too. Once you own all the candidates it does not matter if the public can vote or not. I really don't think Mitt Romney would be much of a change from Barrack.

They showed some interviews with him that changed my opinion of him as a person.

He was a jackass. Yes, a cranky old motherfucker. Morley Schaffer asked him why he refused to sign autographs for people.

He said something like "I get PAID to write. What person in their right mind is going to find value in me writing my name on a scrap of paper?"
                              I hated the guy when I saw him on some World War II documentary on bombing crews. Rooney came off as such a pompous asshole that I lost all respect for him. Here you had US airmen going up in B-17's and Liberators getting slaughtered in day light bombing raids and the whining asshole Rooney just had to report on it and cry he was against the war in a pompous manner. Then he said he finally changed his mind on the war when he saw his first Nazi concentration camp. Something about the guy struck me that he was nothing more than a pompous whiner his whole life crying about life into his typewriter.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                                DIAMOND STATUS
                                • Aug 2004

Here's to you Andy Rooney. A man who was a legend in his own mind.

Comment

Working...