Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Former Heavyweight Champion of the World, Smokin' Joe Frazier, has died...

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-28-2024 @ 04:08 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Hilarious....gotta watch this one...memories...

Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Here's Ali/Frazier...without fighting...I think...

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

"He's 32 and I'm 30...but I'm about 6 years younger because I haven't been hit in the head as much as he has..."

Ali about Frazier...

The Menace Is Loose Again
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    04-08-2015 @ 12:58 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,934 Times in 1,875 Posts

/Salute

Thanks Joe.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Head Fluffer

Member No
    Last Online
    03-08-2020 @ 09:38 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Well it sure didn't take FARK very long to come up with exactly the same asinine headline that was previously predicted in this thread...

Original article: abc news

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:53 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,337 Times in 6,024 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by POJO_Risin View Post
    Hilarious....gotta watch this one...memories...
    LOL!

That immediately reminded me of the scene from Sleeper where he wakes up in the future and is quizzed on 'historical artefacts', check the last 30 seconds...

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:53 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,337 Times in 6,024 Posts

Muhammad Ali has led tributes from around the world for former heavyweight boxing champion Joe Frazier, who has died aged 67 from liver cancer.

"The world has lost a great champion," said 69-year-old Ali, who fought Frazier three times.

"I will always remember Joe with respect and admiration. My sympathy goes out to his family and loved ones."

Former heavyweight champion Lennox Lewis said of Frazier: "He was one of boxing's greats. He was legendary."

The Briton added: "He has made his mark in boxing, everyone knows his history.

"Without him, other boxing heroes wouldn't be great either because they really tested his talent against him.

"In a room filled of great men, he is definitely one of them."

Frazier, who won Olympic gold in 1964, became world champion in 1970 after Ali had been stripped of his titles in 1967 for refusing to fight in the Vietnam War.

When Ali tried to reclaim his belts, Frazier beat him, winning their much-hyped clash in 1971.

It was Ali's first loss as a professional, but a defeat he avenged.

Frazier and Ali met a further two times in the ring, Ali winning both contests, including the epic "Thrilla in Manila" in 1975.

The American also fought compatriot George Foreman, another of boxing's heavyweight greats. They met twice, Foreman winning on both occasions.

JOE FRAZIER PROFILE

Born 12 January 1944, Beaufort, South Carolina
    Total fights 37 - 32 wins (27KOs), 4 losses, 1 draw
    Won gold for USA at 1964 Tokyo Olympics
    Won NYSAC version of world title with victory over Buster Mathis in 1968
    Won WBA and WBC versions of world title with victory over Jimmy Ellis in 1970
    Last world title fight in 1975 against Muhammad Ali
    Retired in 1976 and made a comeback in 1981, fighting just once, before retiring for good
    Dies 7 November 2011 after suffering from liver cancer
    "Good night Joe Frazier," Foreman wrote on Twitter. "I love you dear friend."

Other boxing names, past and present, were also quick to pay their respects.

Joe Bugner, who lost to Frazier five months after being beaten by Ali in 1973, told BBC Radio 5 live: "Joe Frazier was relentless. Here was a man about 5ft 10in, he weighed about a stone lighter than myself, but he was so courageous and ferocious. You literally had to hit him with a sledgehammer to put him away.

"In 1973, I was 23 years old. I became a man after that fight because I realised you can't go through a career like boxing without seeing and feeling the power of the greats.

"I happened to have the privilege of fighting Frazier and Ali, and a few others, but those two to me were the greatest.

"Joe took everything away I thought I had and made me realise I needed more. If I was going to succeed I needed a lot more.

"It hit me like a lightning bolt when I heard he died."

Former world champion Chris Eubank added: "In boxing, you look for an intense rivalry with men who are of the highest calibre in their abilities to fight.

"Muhammad Ali could not have been the mammoth character, fighter and man he became without Joe Frazier. He just couldn't have.

"You need someone to bounce off. You need another great. The operative word is great and indeed he [Frazier] was."

WBC champion Vitali Klitschko said: "He was a huge fighter, huge champion and a huge personality.

"I didn't have a chance to see his fights live because I was born in 1971. In the Soviet Union, professional boxing was forbidden but we studied about this fighter and after that we had a chance to see the fights. It was a great lesson for all new generations.

"I didn't have a chance to meet him personally, but I heard about him and that's why he is always in the memory of the next generation of great fighters.

"From me and my brother [fellow world champion] Wladimir, I want to say sorry that he has died. He was one of the great champions."

Eight-time world champion Manny Pacquiao said: "Boxing lost a great champion and the sport lost a great ambassador."

And five-time divisional world champion Floyd Mayweather added: "RIP Smokin Joe. My thoughts and prayers go out to the Frazier family. We lost an all-time great tonight."

Promoter Frank Warren believes Frazier's fights with Ali and Foreman mean the American will be remembered as one of the sport's finest.

"He was part of that era when we had the best heavyweights there had ever been," said Warren.

"People talk about Mike Tyson at the age of 21 - Joe Frazier, when he was a young fella, was every bit [as good as], if not better than, Tyson."

Truth is, however much Frazier might have protested, Muhammad Ali illuminated Frazier's own greatness while also managing to be the bane of his life

WBC light-heavyweight champion Bernard Hopkins, a fellow Philadelphia fighter, said Frazier was an icon in the city and that he should have his own statue.

"There's no way in the world you should come to Philadelphia and not recognise who Joe Frazier is," he commented.

"It's the perfect time to build the biggest statue in appreciation for all the heart and love he gave to Philadelphia. We didn't realise we had a super-special person among us that we all, in a way, took for granted. I said this when he was living, I say this now."

∞ SHEEP PEN GYPSY
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-25-2024 @ 06:27 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,031 Times in 685 Posts

Man.....Joe HATED Ali....that "Uncle Tom" & "Gorilla" stuff was too much

A great fighter.......

RIP JOE

Rock God
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-03-2024 @ 04:13 AM
    A Small Dive in a trashy neighborhood somewhere on Fornax 9
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,616 Times in 1,647 Posts

R.I.P. Joe!!! :-(

it's getting hot in here
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-15-2024 @ 01:55 PM
    Status
    Thanks

I used to be a big fight fan before it all went to pay TV.

If anybody likes writing about boxing you should track down a brilliant book - This Bloody Mary is The Last Thing I Own (click on title for link) by Jonathan Rendall - it's about the UK fight scene, and the writer was a one-time amateur and then sometime manager of a featherweight title contender

I have boxes full of junk, and I knew I had printed out a pic of DLR and Smokin Joe from the Army - years ago. Tried finding it online, but ended up scanning it.

So, not photoshopped!

Von loves Brady
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    12-09-2022 @ 10:36 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,465 Times in 1,023 Posts

RIP Joe, damn.

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Awesome PIC....shit....I don't remember that one....

Holy hell...

Thread Information