Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Fairwrning
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    • Jan 2004

So do these athletic scholarships get to go to a deserving academic student or are they just gone?

Comment

• TJMKID
      Veteran
      • Mar 2004

Originally posted by BITEYOASS
      Of course with the majority of college football programs, the school is bigger than the coach or any other high ranking official. What happened at Penn St. would have had action taken upon this crime immediately afterwards and some would be shitcanned and sent to prison ASAP.

I think the NFL and NCAA should start working in tandem to prevent all these assholes from bailing out of the college scandals they helped create and get rewarded with big-money contracts in the NFL --- like Pete Carroll and Reggie Bush did with USC.

If I was Roger Goodell --- I would've told both Bush and Carroll they are banned from any NFL employment for minimum of 3 years as punishment for what they did at USC. The NCAA would also ban Carroll from getting another college coaching job.

Comment

• TJMKID
        Veteran
        • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Fairwrning
        So do these athletic scholarships get to go to a deserving academic student or are they just gone?

I think only football and basketball need to become paid leagues --- all other sports are OK to have student-athletes.

I never seen a ESPN report about a lacrosse player or swimmer on scholarship getting free cars and $100K cash.

Comment

• Fairwrning
          TOASTMASTER GENERAL
          • Jan 2004

Originally posted by TFM_Dale
          Sure can't wait for Suh to get another shot at rHomo. lol
          They wont meet until playoffs...Suh will be in jail by then.

Comment

• gbranton
            Veteran
            • Aug 2005

Originally posted by Va Beach VH Fan
            Those tickets are equivalent exactly to one four-year scholarship, my friend....
            Not trying to hammer on you, my point is the schools make big money off these kids, up to and including using their names and likenesses and yet like the guy I talked about above, he didn't have the money to buy a hamburger at McDonald's. Worse yet, it probably would have been some sort of NCAA violation if I had taken him there and bought him one. To me that doesn't seem very fair.
            "Don't want 'em to get you goat, don't show 'em where it's hid." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• gbranton
              Veteran
              • Aug 2005

Originally posted by TJMKID
              If I was Roger Goodell --- I would've told both Bush and Carroll they are banned from any NFL employment for minimum of 3 years as punishment for what they did at USC. The NCAA would also ban Carroll from getting another college coaching job.
              One of the few things you have written in this thread that I agree with. Not that the NFL has the actual power to do this. I just hate to see jerks flaunt the rules and get rewarded.
              "Don't want 'em to get you goat, don't show 'em where it's hid." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• TJMKID
                Veteran
                • Mar 2004

Originally posted by gbranton
                One of the few things you have written in this thread that I agree with. Not that the NFL has the actual power to do this. I just hate to see jerks flaunt the rules and get rewarded.

For the record --- there's a lot you say in here that I disagree with and for good reason.

But yes --- what kind of message are we sending if we allow scumbags like Reggie Bush and Pete Caroll to flaunt the rules and get rewarded with millions in the NFL ?? That only seems like justification to break the NCAA rules.

If we separated the system of college football and basketball from university life then there wouldnt any bullshit mixed messages anymore --- you either care about making money or getting an education. There is no shady middle ground.

Comment

• gbranton
                  Veteran
                  • Aug 2005

For the record --- there's a lot you say in here that I disagree with and for good reason.
                  Hopefully that "good reason" is merely that you have a different opinion than I do. Because that's all this is, there is no one right answer.

Comment

• TJMKID
                    Veteran
                    • Mar 2004

Hopefully that "good reason" is merely that you have a different opinion than I do. Because that's all this is, there is no one right answer.

Yeah, that's what good debate is all about --- getting your point across --- there is no "right" answer

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
                      ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
                      • Dec 2003

Not trying to hammer on you, my point is the schools make big money off these kids, up to and including using their names and likenesses and yet like the guy I talked about above, he didn't have the money to buy a hamburger at McDonald's. Worse yet, it probably would have been some sort of NCAA violation if I had taken him there and bought him one. To me that doesn't seem very fair.
                      OK, but I repeat, in return for their football (or any other sports scholarship, for that matter) skills, they are being provided a top-notch college education on the house.....

Why discriminate against the other student-athletes? Why discriminate against those who, God forbid, get an Academic scholarship? I'm sure plenty of those kids would like a burger at McDonalds too, ya know....
                      Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• TJMKID
                        Veteran
                        • Mar 2004

Why discriminate against the other student-athletes? Why discriminate against those who, God forbid, get an Academic scholarship? I'm sure plenty of those kids would like a burger at McDonalds too, ya know....

Good point --- if some kid on an academic scholarship is a computer wiz and might become the next Bill Gates and contribute billions to the economy --- shouldn't he/she be given the same perks as some dope who knows how to catch a football?

Comment

• gbranton
                          Veteran
                          • Aug 2005

Good point --- if some kid on an academic scholarship is a computer wiz and might become the next Bill Gates and contribute billions to the economy --- shouldn't he/she be given the same perks as some dope who knows how to catch a football?
                          Agree entirely. If a kid is working in a profit center for a university in a capacity that enhances the profitability of that department, then cut him in. It would encourage a lot of kids to get involved and hopefully make a difference in the their lives and in the school itself.

Comment

• TJMKID
                            Veteran
                            • Mar 2004

Agree entirely. If a kid is working in a profit center for a university in a capacity that enhances the profitability of that department, then cut him in. It would encourage a lot of kids to get involved and hopefully make a difference in the their lives and in the school itself.

I had college friends who worked part-time in science labs that were getting big government research grants --- some of the profs started their own companies and consulting firms and made nice bank --- but the students always got a fixed stipend and not a cut of the action.

It's an unfair system across the board.

Comment

• loucap81
                              Head Fluffer
                              • Apr 2012

I was watching interviews of PSU students all sad about the sanctions. I know they're kids so I'll cut them a little slack but it's still disturbing that not one kid said something like, "It sucks, but the victims are suffering far worse than we are." Basically, what you got from the interviews was sadness that they're not going to have nearly as much fun this fall as their predecessors.

Hopefully, by the time those kids graduate, they will have developed the maturity to see this from a proper perspective.

Comment

• PETE'S BROTHER
                                DIAMOND STATUS
                                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by loucap81
                                I was watching interviews of PSU students all sad about the sanctions. I know they're kids so I'll cut them a little slack but it's still disturbing that not one kid said something like, "It sucks, but the victims are suffering far worse than we are." Basically, what you got from the interviews was sadness that they're not going to have nearly as much fun this fall as their predecessors.

Hopefully, by the time those kids graduate, they will have developed the maturity to see this from a proper perspective.
                                what some are tryin' to convey, i feel, is it is a shame that they won't have the chance because of the actions/inactions of less than ten men they have probobaly never even met
                                Another one of those classic genius posts, sure to generate responses. You log on the next day to see what your witty gem has produced to find no one gets it and 2 knotheads want to stick their dicks in it... Well played, sir!!

Comment

Working...