Thread: Official 2011 Election Results thread.

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:46 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,281 Times in 4,711 Posts

Official 2011 Election Results thread.

One would think that an "off year" election would be a big snore fest, but there's some noteworthy battles going on in some states which have national implications, so post news on those if you got 'em.

First up, we have good news out of Ohio, where the KKKoch/Kasich union busting bill has been defeated....

Ohio Issue 2: Controversial Anti-Union Law Defeated By Voters
    Ohio Issue 2

First Posted: 11/8/11 09:22 PM ET Updated: 11/8/11 10:08 PM ET
    React

WASHINGTON -- Ohioans overturned a divisive anti-union law on Tuesday, delivering a significant defeat to Republican Gov. John Kasich and a victory to labor unions.

Ohio voters rejected Issue 2, a ballot referendum on Senate Bill 5, a measure that restricts collective bargaining rights for more than 360,000 public employees, among other provisions. Opposition to the legislation inspired large protests from residents around the state this year.

Immediately after the results came in, union officials sent out statements declaring success.

"One message rang loud and clear tonight in Ohio and across the country: those who spend their time scapegoating workers and pushing a partisan agenda will only strengthen the resolve of working people," said AFL-CIO President Richard Trumka. "From the very beginning, it’s been clear that Gov. Kasich, and indeed many politicians, were pushing an agenda that was about politics, not about solving our nation’s problems or creating jobs."

"Even after John Kasich locked the doors to democracy and shut out everyday heroes from the Statehouse, in the cold, blister of February -- working people never lost hope. We marched in the spring, circulated petitions in the summer and now, this fall, we delivered a win for all working people by defeating Issue 2, repealing Senate Bill 5," added Becky Williams, president of SEIU District 1199 in Ohio.

Kasich held a press conference shortly after the fate of Issue 2 had been declared, saying it was time for him to "take a deep breath" and figure out what to do next.

"When I say it is a time to pause, it is right now, on this issue," he said. "The people have spoken clearly. You don't ignore the public. Look, I also have an obligation to lead. I've been leading since the day I took this office, and I'll continue to do that. But part of leading is listening and hearing what people have to say to you."

Kasich signed SB 5 into law on March 31, although the law was put on hold during the referendum campaign. The labor-aligned group We Are Ohio organized the anti-Issue 2 effort, and Building A Better Ohio led the pro-Issue 2 fight.

Tuesday's defeat may have nullified SB 5, but parts of the law may not be dead in the long term. While much of the public attention has centered on the law's ban on collective bargaining for public employees, the law also contained provisions to require public employees to contribute to their health care and pension benefits, along with pushing merit pay for teachers -- proposals that polled well in the run-up to the election.

Ohio State Rep. Mike Foley (D) said the Republican leadership in the legislature may try to pass these proposals one by one when they reconvene in January.

"They could act and take bits and pieces of it and try a new bill on teacher merit pay or health care...or any of the parts of the bill that they think they can get passed," Foley said. "I don't know if they will. We'll have to see. ... I think some of the Republican members on their side of the aisle are going to start looking at their leadership funny if they come back with another collective bargaining bill."

"We certainly are going to be ready for that, if we're still in the same kind of political situation of them controlling the state legislature and governor's office," added AFL-CIO Political Director Mike Podhorzer. "We're hoping the vote on Tuesday will have demonstrated this is enormously unpopular.

Kasich's spokesman recently said the governor had not been focusing on what-ifs in case the referendum was defeated.

Opposition to Issue 2 brought together a broad coalition of Ohioans -- as well as a significant amount of cash. With just under two weeks to go until Election Day, both sides had already spent more than $38.1 million, with those against Issue 2 outraising their opponents by nearly 4-to-1. The campaign saw a public service announcement by a former astronaut, shady tricks in television ads and a right-wing radio host taking the side of the unions.

While the Occupy movement has been at odds with police in Oakland, Calif., and New York, Issue 2 served as a way to unite the police and Occupy Cleveland members. The local police union said that the officers recognized they had support from the Occupy movement on Issue 2 and sought to work with the protesters. This included identifying at one point which members of the Occupy movement officers arrested. In addition, when police officers asked the Occupy Cleveland group not to use a police memorial plaza for a demonstration, Occupy leaders cooperated.

In the run-up to Tuesday's vote, polls showed that Issue 2 was headed for a decisive defeat.

SB 5 has defined Kasich's first year in the governor's mansion. While the Republican did not mention the issue in his campaign to unseat former Democratic Gov. Ted Strickland in the 2010 election, his quick embrace of the bill earlier this year made him the law's public face. Kasich ran a statewide campaign to save SB 5 in the run-up to the election.

Political experts in Ohio told The Huffington Post that the governor will not turn into a lame duck just yet, since he has three more years in office and other issues, including economic development and the budget, could be the ones to define him.

Issue 2 was one of three referendums on the Ohio ballot this year. Voters approved Issue 3, a largely symbolic measure that sought to amend the state constitution to prohibit the national health care law from taking effect in Ohio. Written by a conservative-leaning group, the measure sought to influence the coming battle in the U.S. Supreme Court over the future of the national health care law.

Ohio voters also faced Issue 1, a referendum raising the maximum age for judicial applicants from 70 to 75. Normally an under-the-radar referendum subject matter, Issue 1 languished in anonymity in this year's cycle, and was defeated by voters.

A spokesman for the International Association of Firefighters, who was not authorized to speak on the record, hoped Tuesday's victory would be a warning to other conservative governors around the country.

"Kasich ran on a platform of growth, and his first thing is to give tax breaks to the rich, increase the pay of his staff significantly -- while at the same time, he's trying to cut the firefighters and police and teachers and nurses. It's an overreach," he said. "They went a little too far, and what's happening here in Ohio is another step in what happened in Wisconsin."
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

More good news out of Mississippi: The "fertilized egg is a PERSON" amendment has been defeated. Embryos are not persons, but at least they can become persons. Unlike corporations.

3. Thanked FORD for this KICKASS post:

jhale667 (11-09-2011)

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:43 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,347 Times in 6,031 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FORD View Post
    More good news out of Mississippi: The "fertilized egg is a PERSON" amendment has been defeated. Embryos are not persons, but at least they can become persons. Unlike corporations.
    That was a ridiculous ignorant amendment.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Yeah, I could support a law that said, for example, if you kill a woman in the third trimester, it's a double murder charge, because there is another viable human being at that point. But the obvious intention of this was to prosecute abortion as murder, as a back door to overturn Roe vs Wade. The fact that it actually failed in a Southern state is especially encouraging that this manufactured "social issues" horseshit is no longer the trump card it once was for the political right wing.

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Good News just in from Arizona - Bigoted White Supremcaist Mormon author of fascist "Show Me Your Papers" law Russell Pearce is losing 53 - 47 with 87.5% of precincts reporting.

Don't let your white sheet get caught in the door on your way out, RussHole. And take Brewer and Arpaio with you.

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Looks like voters in Maine have rejected a Repuke attempt to eliminate same day voter registration by a margin of 58-41. Poppy Bush must have been out of town

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

The abortion rate in the US seems to be much higher than in other western countries for some reason. I would guess this is to do with poor sex education.

That said it's pretty much the same now as it was 40 years ago and only a very small number, 1 in a hundred, are the horrible later ones that the lobbyists publicize so much.

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Unfortunately, not all the news is good tonight. Here in Washington State, a blatant example of the effects of Shittizens United on the electoral system has proven successful. Thousands of people in this state will lose jobs because of this, and drunk driving deaths are sure to increase. Not a single private sector job will be created by this, and as far as relevance to the national big picture, this proves that corporations can blatantly LIE, can run the LIES on TV every goddamn 5 minutes, and the same fucking morons who signed Tim Eyman's crap petitions without actually reading them will believe the bullshit every fucking time. I am ashamed of my state tonight.....

Washington voters approve new liquor law
    By MIKE BAKER Associated Press Published: Nov 8, 2011 at 8:31 PM PST

Washington voters have approved a plan to privatize liquor sales, siding with Costco in the costliest initiative campaign in state history.

Unofficial results Tuesday night showed the measure passing with widespread support. Costco Wholesale Corp. committed $22 million to supporting the measure, which will dismantle controls that have been in place since Prohibition.

Wholesalers provided much of the opposition funding, as retailers will now be able to bypass them and buy product directly from producers. About 1,000 people who currently operate the state's system will lose their jobs.

Costco had backed another privatization measure that failed last year. The latest one includes more revenue for state and local governments, as well as stricter controls on what stores can sell liquor.

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:30 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,502 Times in 1,615 Posts

my brother ran for school board in our hometown, and won.

friend of mine ran for mayor in my little (population 3,000) village and won.

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

and, oh yeah, Kasich got shit on.

i had a good day.

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-28-2024 @ 09:22 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,517 Times in 2,422 Posts

Hopefully just the beginning....

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by twonabomber View Post
    my brother ran for school board in our hometown, and won.

friend of mine ran for mayor in my little (population 3,000) village and won.
    I still find it a bit worrying when my contempories get put in positions of power.

It makes me feel old but more importantly it confirms my fear that no one knows what the fuck they are doing on this planet.

When you are young you assume that older people know stuff but when you catch up with them you realise they never really did.

Humans don't live long enough to get wise.

The fact that your brother and friend were probably the best available for the posts doesn't change any of that, in fact it makes it worse.
    Last edited by Seshmeister; 11-09-2011 at 11:35 AM.

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

probably not the best available, but better than the alternative. and we're not that old yet. not like the guy who's been on the school board for 24 years and has done nothing of value for the last ten to fifteen years. hell he was old when i was graduating with his daughter.

my brother doesn't want to make a career out of it. besides, how can one make a career out of a gig that pays $30 a meeting? he says one four-year term and he's done.

as for mayor, we also have a village administrator who (i think) does most of the dirty work. the administrator is not a resident, the retirees like to have someone here they can complain to. beyond that i think the mayor only presides over council meetings and sends out newsletters.

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Kasich sent this to Issue 2 supporters:

Though I would have preferred a different outcome tonight, the people of Ohio have spoken and I respect their decision.

I’m grateful to all the volunteers who helped in this effort. You were essential and your work is appreciated. It was also inspiring to meet so many people who share our vision of recreating the jobs-friendly climate Ohio needs.

In just 10 months, we’ve made significant progress towards getting Ohio back on track. We closed a record $8 billion shortfall while cutting taxes by $300 million, we improved Ohio’s credit outlook, we reformed Medicaid to control costs while improving services to the neediest, and we took job-creation efforts out of the hands of bureaucrats and entrusted them to private-sector experts that are already showing significant results. In fact, in 2011 alone Ohio has fostered more than 190 economic development projects that helped create or save more than 41,000 jobs and $2.4 billion in payroll, while generating $1.9 billion in new capital investments.

I’m proud of our progress, but more work is needed.

Despite tonight’s outcome, it doesn’t change the fact that Ohio's ability to create a jobs-friendly climate is impacted by local governments' ability to reduce their costs. Just as Ohio had to get its fiscal house in order—and make tough choices to do it—local governments must as well. Ohio must find innovative ways to help local governments provide good services and good value. According to the US Census, local government taxes increased 42 percent between 1999 and 2009, almost twice the rate of inflation. That’s an astonishing increase when, during the same period, Ohio lost more jobs than any other state except California and Michigan, population growth was flat, school test scores didn’t improve and personal income suffered. We can do better and we will.

Ohio’s problems developed over time because too many people cared more about popularity than about making the tough—and sometimes unpopular—choices Ohio needed. Folks should know by now that that’s not my way. We won’t get Ohio back on track in a day, but our lives and our work aren’t sprints, they’re marathons, and we strive for bigger rewards than the fleeting praise of the here and now.

We’ll keep moving forward, mindful of the lessons we learn, and we’ll restore the greatness of our state. I’m grateful for the chance to work with the people of Ohio on this mission. Together we can do it.

Thread Information