ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    04-22-2024 @ 08:31 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,350 Times in 1,445 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ZahZoo View Post
    Chemistry in the studio...Today the formula for hit songs can be mapped on a spreadsheet and converted by programs like ProTools and the like...
    Who's lookin' for a hit? I'm looking for kick ass rock with a pulse. I don't want them to try to get on Z100. You raise an interesting point, though. Even now, with consideration to the whole "picked through old demos" rumor, we have no clue whether the current batch of tunes is to be molded commercially or not. More time spent working on it usually means too much furniture polish. As someone said earlier, expect the unexpected.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

it's getting hot in here
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    04-21-2024 @ 06:44 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Heater View Post
    Having Ed send the music to Dave along with the melody with a note that says "sing words to this" doesn't bode well for anything stellar.
    Dave always came up with the melodies for songs. I also believe that he - and Spam and Templeman - worked on arrangements, because the evidence of what happened when you take those co-creators away, is that he doesn't know how to edit himself (VH III is proof of that). So, Ed did the music - bits of riffs, chord changes, or whole pieces of music - but according to anything I've ever read (including the accounts by Spammy), Ed had nothing to do with the vocals, either in the melody or words department. That's why Van Hagar songs suck lyrically, and are banal melodically; whereas Van Halen the original does not.

That's why Van Halen pretty much sounds like whoever the singer is at the time:

Van Halen (the original) sounds like David Lee Roth
    Van Hagar (the simulacrum) sounds like Sammy Hagar with a better guitarist
    Van Halen (the utter shambles of VHIII) sounds like nobody, because on that occasion Ed PROBABLY was writing lyrics and vocal melodies.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

3. Thanked VHscraps for this KICKASS post:

Satan (11-30-2011)

it's getting hot in here
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Ah - a rejoinder to my own last post in this thread (above) ...

Ed did take an interest in words and vocals more generally from the mid-90s. In fact, it was behind the split with Spam: the Crimson Clown was asked to consider a lyrical 'treatment' to his 'Human's Being' lyrics, which he claimed was concocted by Eddie and Glen Ballard.

When you get to VH III, I believe that Eddie was, at the very least, approving or directing the lyrical content (if not actually making embarrassing contributions himself - witness 'How Many Say I' - or, to give it its proper title, 'How Many Say WHY, WTF is this crap?' Tom Waits with Sammy Hagar-level 'real sentiments'.

THE SHEEP PEN
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    04-22-2024 @ 07:11 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,047 Times in 487 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ZahZoo View Post
    Funny how folks still perceive the band as a bunch of young dudes all hangin like bro's together... Hasn't been that way since 1980.
    I actually would rather that they're not happy. They don't deserve to be.

But in all seriousness, a happy Van Halen produced albums like 5150. An angry, vitriolic, disjointed Van Halen produced albums like 1984.

THE SHEEP PEN
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Why would anyone think there was a chance at Mike coming back? CHICKENSHACK has been touring already behind their new third album (Sam can't count)...so would anyone think that Mike was recording and touring that album while secretly making a new album with Dave and the brothers?

At this point, I don't really care about Michael Anthony. I'm on this site because I'm a Dave fan. It's Dave's new album with Eddie and Alex as his backing band. I saw the 2007-2008 tour twice and thoroughly enjoyed it.

No matter what some people say here (and, yes, Eddie is a prick and wanted Mike out for years), Mike is truly out because he couldn't stop being friends with Sammy Hagar.

7. Thanked Rikk for this KICKASS post:

SunisinuS (11-30-2011)

Perpetually Befuddled
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-01-2017 @ 12:20 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,052 Times in 2,583 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by VHscraps View Post

Ed did take an interest in words and vocals more generally from the mid-90s. In fact, it was behind the split with Spam: the Crimson Clown was asked to consider a lyrical 'treatment' to his 'Human's Being' lyrics, which he claimed was concocted by Eddie and Glen Ballard.
    It was earlier than that. During the recording of Balance, Ed objected to the stoner lyrics for "Amsterdam." Given his own issues with substance abuse, which apparently only got worse soon after, it seems the ultimate in hypocritical thinking. The drug issue is according to former Aerosmith manager Tim Collins, who was called in to potentially handle the band and particularly, Ed. Collins took one look at a crying Ed (who had left the room, only to return with all of his hair shaved off) and ran screaming into the night like a bat out of hell.

The story behind "Humans Being" may or may not be altogether true, as it comes from the VH side of the equation. According to Ed, the director of Twister (Jan de Bont) had specifically requested no mention of twisters, hurricanes or weather conditions be used in the song's lyrics. Supposedly, Sam Hagar had then called up de Bont, looking for buzz words like "hot-zone", ect., the very thing de Bont did not want, who then called Eddie Van Halen to complain. Ed also claimed that he went ahead and finished the vocals himself, without Hagar. Like I said, this all comes from EVH, so who knows how much (if any of it) is even close to the truth.
    Last edited by chefcraig; 11-11-2011 at 01:19 PM.

it's getting hot in here
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by chefcraig View Post
    It was earlier than that. During the recording of Balance, Ed objected to the stoner lyrics for "Amsterdam."
    Indeed, Chef - I had forgotten about that. If Eddie had just objected to the lyrics of Amsterdam because they were naff, then he could have avoided the whole hypocrisy deal!!

But, it's a clear difference to the DLR days when he would say, 'I don't know what the hell Dave sings about.' That's cos Dave was in charge, basically, and he did what he wanted.

That story of the Twister saga was covered in great detail from the other side in drafts from an earlier unpublished Hagar biography that seeped out from somewhere (probably the publisher - the material is definitely unedited, or from proofs still to be corrected). 'Red Storm Rising' it was called - a few chapters of it were floating around the internet several years ago. I have a samizdat copy that I'd be happy to email to anyone. I don't want to post it, because Hagar sued somebody before to stop the book, and you never know how easy it is to trace back these things to the source.

That saga aside, one of my favourite parts of that unreleased biography is when Hagar reveals that he knew the game was up, and the brothers had truly fallen out of love with his ass, on the Balance tour. It's hilarious to read how hurt and baffled he was to arrive onstage for soundchecks, and just as he did - his foot hits the stage, and he bounds towards his one-time buddies, the brothers would break into an old Dave-era tune, like 'Beautiful Girls' or 'Hot For Teacher'. Talk about a snub.

Haha. Reading that just seems like a confirmation of what Dave said about his replacement's situation back in the Van Hagar years - 'Sammy lives with a horrible nightmare - that he can be replaced with the original at any time'.

That is surely what the brothers wanted him to think.

it's getting hot in here
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

An excerpt from Hagar's cancelled biography I mentioned in the last post, which is worth it just to see how badly he was getting treated by the Van Halens (even if he is making it up, or embellishing, you WANT to believe it because it's Sammy Hagar - he deserves it!!. I love how the brothers seem to decide to rain on his parade just as he thinks his life is wonderful, and when Ed and Al started playing old Dave tunes the roadies would yell YEAH!!:

In a year of surprises on a professional front, Hagar received some startling personal news as well. His constant companion of nearly four years, Kari, was pregnant. Taking the news in stride, Sammy asked her to marry him after the Balance tour ended in November. The overwhelmed Texas beauty said yes. Hagar insists the pregnancy wasn't a mistake; they were just planning on having a child much later. That revelation was tempered by another more potent profane display of disrespect the Red Rocker began noticing at the scattered sound checks he attended before shows.

"I'd walk on stage," he announced, "and Eddie would start playing the riff for 'Hot for Teacher.' This started happening quite a bit the last few weeks of the tour. For some stupid reason, he started playing riffs from songs we never played in concert, like 'Beautiful Girls.' I guarantee you that Ray Danniels had been talking to the brothers about what songs should be on the greatest hits album. On past tours, Eddie had never played any of the old shit at soundcheck. When he started hitting the chords to these songs, I would be thinking, "What the fuck is this? Is Eddie just trying to piss me off, or is he making a hint that I should be singing these songs? Why is he playing them?" Of course Al would kick in and play for a few seconds while some of the roadies would be yelling, "Yeah!" Believe me, the whole situation was weird.

Now, if I would have gone up there and started playing 'Three Lock Box,' fucking Eddie would have freaked out. The brothers would start playing those old songs and I'd just say, "Okay, check, check, check. You've got it. Everything's cool, bye." I'd walk off the stage, not because I was being a prick, hell, I didn't know the lyrics to those songs.

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    04-07-2016 @ 01:20 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,110 Times in 2,874 Posts

Yeah, that's classic if it's true...dissed by Ed, Al AND the road crew... was that their way of saying "We're beginning to realize...you suck." ?

Rock God
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-03-2024 @ 04:13 AM
    A Small Dive in a trashy neighborhood somewhere on Fornax 9
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,616 Times in 1,647 Posts

Have to laugh. It only took them what, 10 years to realize he sucked?

IF the original four show up at the announcement show Nov. 10, I will really be surprised.

We have had to live with disappointment and loads of bullshit for the last 25 years.

Why should this be any different?

But, we can always dream.

And Pojo can take on the role of "Crotchety Old Man".

"ALL YOU KIDS GET OFFA THE LAWN, OR I'LL SIC THE DOGS ON YA!!!"

Just kidding Pojo.
    Last edited by Hardrock69; 11-11-2011 at 02:55 PM.

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    12-27-2016 @ 08:33 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,785 Times in 1,252 Posts

There's no chance of Mike coming back.

Imagine that you're EVH - is there any more money involved in Mike coming back? No. Therefore it won't happen.

THE SHEEP PEN
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I think there's a bigger chance of Michael Jackson's comeback shows at the O2 finally commencing than Michael Anthony returning to Van Halen.

15. Thanked Rikk for this KICKASS post:

binnie (11-11-2011)

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    12-27-2016 @ 08:33 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,785 Times in 1,252 Posts

There's probably more chance of Kristy by a Led Zeppelin record than Mike Anthony re-joining Van Halen....

Foot Soldier
    Member No
    Last Online
    04-17-2024 @ 12:21 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hardrock69 View Post
    Have to laugh. It only took them what, 10 years to realize he sucked?

IF the original four show up at the announcement show Nov. 10, I will really be surprised.

We have had to live with disappointment and loads of bullshit for the last 25 years.

Why should this be any different?

But, we can always dream.

And Pojo can take on the role of "Crotchety Old Man".

"ALL YOU KIDS GET OFFA THE LAWN, OR I'LL SIC THE DOGS ON YA!!!"

Just kidding Pojo.

I thought that was ZahZoo's role.

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    04-21-2024 @ 02:26 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,513 Times in 1,619 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Hagar the Horrible
    First of all, we wouldn’t be invited and second of all, if we were invited, we probably wouldn’t do it.
    hey, Bassplayer, does Sammy tell you what to wear before you guys go onstage, too?

19. 2 users say thank you to twonabomber for this KICKASS post:

Blaze (11-12-2011),Unchainme (11-30-2011)

Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    04-22-2024 @ 04:34 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,093 Times in 2,004 Posts

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DLR Bridge View Post
    Who's lookin' for a hit? I'm looking for kick ass rock with a pulse. I don't want them to try to get on Z100. You raise an interesting point, though. Even now, with consideration to the whole "picked through old demos" rumor, we have no clue whether the current batch of tunes is to be molded commercially or not. More time spent working on it usually means too much furniture polish. As someone said earlier, expect the unexpected.
    Given they brought in totally new producers, engineers, etc... but even more significant is the recording, mixing and mastering was done outside of 5150 indicates it will be more commercially molded.

I think this is a good thing though... 1984 was the first and best work to come out of 5150. Everything since followed a continuous downhill slide. Get Ed out of his comfort zone and away from his demons... maybe we'll see/hear something innovative and fresh.

Foot Soldier
    Member No
    Last Online
    10-10-2020 @ 12:08 AM
    Status
    Thanks

My friend Thom is playing the Grammy thing tomorrow night with The Band Perry. I sent him a message asking him if there was anything scheduled or mentioned about VH in the agenda. He should let me know either way. Look for the badass Matchless combo he will be playing through!

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    04-21-2024 @ 02:26 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,513 Times in 1,619 Posts

i wonder if they filmed something at the Roxy to be played tomorrow night. i had a vision of the beginning of the Jump video, you know, the old film leaderstock thing, then going to the band. kind of like a pirate radio station breaking in on a legit broadcast.

and then i remembered, that based on history, how unlikely it would be.

i'll watch the dumb show, anyways. i'll just be walking in from work.

Foot Soldier
    Member No
    Last Online
    10-10-2020 @ 12:08 AM
    Status
    Thanks

The schedule he was given does not say anything specific about VH. But... He was only given the time schedule of the key bands playing the show. There still may be some kind of announcement, but it isn't listed on his schedule.

Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    04-22-2024 @ 04:34 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,093 Times in 2,004 Posts

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by twonabomber View Post
    i wonder if they filmed something at the Roxy to be played tomorrow night. i had a vision of the beginning of the Jump video, you know, the old film leaderstock thing, then going to the band. kind of like a pirate radio station breaking in on a legit broadcast.

and then i remembered, that based on history, how unlikely it would be.

i'll watch the dumb show, anyways. i'll just be walking in from work.
    They most likely recorded it all at the Roxy and it could still be presented as a "live" announcement in the broadcast... ya know the magic of media... wink wink nudge...

Probably not going to show up on the real "live" performers schedule. If there's more than a minute of VH material... I'd be real surprised.

your last loose end
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

[QUOTE=ZahZoo;1576114]They most likely recorded it all at the Roxy and it could still be presented as a "live" announcement in the broadcast... ya know the magic of media... wink wink nudge... QUOTE]

Ya mean like the pre-recorded fireworks display that opened the Beijing Olympics? I think they actually stole the idea from Van Halen's pre-taped before-party at the US Festival.

Rock God
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Have already programmed the Tivo. Am going to be sitting on the sofa with my laptop, posting here when it comes on.

Would not surprise me if there were a LOT of pre-taped segments. That cuts down on the possibilities of a drunk musician suddenly saying that horrifyingly blasphemous word that would cause millions of people to go instantly insane and begin raping animals, murdering chickens, destroying buildings, ass-raping policemen, assassinating every living thing in sight, and in general becoming people who are not very nice..............the word FUCK!

Stupid infantile sheeple.....

But back on topic.....will keep an eye out for your friend, Dork.
    Last edited by Hardrock69; 11-30-2011 at 07:30 PM.

The true JBC
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    11-14-2018 @ 03:27 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,298 Times in 1,690 Posts

Keep us posted, bro........I'm too lazy to get up and turn on the tube!

Rock God
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

No worries man. I just want to live on the edge......thinking that maybe the original 4 will show up....while knowing full well that spEd would not stoop so low as to give us ALL that we want....

Just happy the new thing this time out is the new studio album, though of course spEd could throw a tantrum over something and decide not to release it......anything is possible.

The true JBC
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hardrock69 View Post
    No worries man. I just want to live on the edge......thinking that maybe the original 4 will show up....while knowing full well that spEd would not stoop so low as to give us ALL that we want....

Just happy the new thing this time out is the new studio album, though of course spEd could throw a tantrum over something and decide not to release it......anything is possible.
    What I'm really thankful for is that they didn't start their own fucking label......now that they're signed, Ed isn't steering the ship and that's the best news since the reunion announcement.

GOOD GOD, YA'LL
    Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    08-04-2019 @ 10:31 PM
    Status
    Thanks

"The asked me at the Grammy pre show if I expected more security problems during the 30 second prerecorded Van Halen announcement. I said you bet your ass baby!!!!!!!"

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-28-2024 @ 09:22 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,517 Times in 2,422 Posts

"Ladies and Gentlemen, I have to apologize about the sound of the guitar during the 30 second prerecorded Van Halen announcement, the sound crew is on heavy narcotics tonight !!!"

32. Thanked Va Beach VH Fan for this KICKASS post:

Unchainme (11-30-2011)

Roth Army Recruit

Member No
    Last Online
    01-02-2012 @ 10:11 PM
    Status
    Thanks

New VH tune hidden in plain sight - on Grammy's site

Go here...

http://www.grammy.com/live

Listen to the commercial (second one on the list on the right)... but then let it play after.

There is an instrumental piece of guitar, drums, bass, piano... it really sounds nothing like Van Halen.

Except at times it does. It's a little small and poppy sounding. But it has some VH trademarks as far as drum mix (loud hi-hats), some chord progression... do you think this is a teaser hidden in plain sight? Could it be new VH?

34. Thanked Machineman for this KICKASS post:

Zeldain (12-01-2011)

GOOD GOD, YA'LL
    Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    08-04-2019 @ 10:31 PM
    Status
    Thanks

My phone doesn't have the right version of flash

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Well, welcome to the show...

But no, that's not even Hagarita-era VH sounding....

your last loose end
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Good call. Doesn't sound like Alex, but I'd call it a definite maybe!

Roth Army Recruit

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Va Beach VH Fan View Post
    Well, welcome to the show...

But no, that's not even Hagarita-era VH sounding....
    I thought so at first, too... but at this point I am willing to put money on it!

I guess we'll know tonight...

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:23 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,298 Times in 4,722 Posts

Hmmmm......

..... Damn thing won't let me separate out one clip from the others.... but anyway, it's the second two of the 4 clips that has the piece of music referenced.

As to my own opinion, I'd say........maybe?

There is a slight resemblance to "Panama"....only it would be what Panama might have sounded like on OU812 with fucking keyboards added to it. Which would NOT be a good sign, if that's the case.

roth beer pest
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    06-02-2022 @ 11:33 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,377 Times in 1,853 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Machineman View Post
    Go here...

http://www.grammy.com/live

Listen to the commercial (second one on the list on the right)... but then let it play after.

There is an instrumental piece of guitar, drums, bass, piano... it really sounds nothing like Van Halen.

Except at times it does. It's a little small and poppy sounding. But it has some VH trademarks as far as drum mix (loud hi-hats), some chord progression... do you think this is a teaser hidden in plain sight? Could it be new VH?
    the 15 second blurb with seagulls at the beginning?

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

REALLY reaching fellas.....

roth beer pest
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Va Beach VH Fan View Post
    REALLY reaching fellas.....
    no shite

The true JBC
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

No fucking way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It sounds like studio musicians TRYING to sound like the Spammy era.

The true JBC
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Damn....the three of us all posted the same thing at the exact same time....

Roth Army Recruit

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PETE'S BROTHER View Post
    the 15 second blurb with seagulls at the beginning?
    No, it's the clip that's marked 1:00 in length.

Put it on some decent speakers, it's VH even if we don't want to believe it. I could be eating crow after the show tonight, but... I think it's them.

roth beer pest
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Machineman View Post
    No, it's the clip that's marked 1:00 in length.

Put it on some decent speakers, it's VH even if we don't want to believe it. I could be eating crow after the show tonight, but... I think it's them.
    that one, i thought, was some new foo fighter or some shit

Thread Information