Page 11 of 63 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920212223242561 ... LastLast

Thread: All-Encompassing Van Halen New Album / Interscope Thread

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by sadaist View Post
    Any way we could just get all 3 bands to share the opening slot? Each comes out & plays their top 3 songs, then gets the fuck off stage. That's about all I really like from any of them anyways.
    Aldo Nova had three songs? I can't remember anything besides his "Life Is Just A Fantasy" ode to cocaine addiction.
    Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Roadie
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Hey guys,
    Forgive me for asking a question that is so obvious to most of you, but I'm a guy with zero studio experience.

What exactly does a producer do? Give direction the the band on the way to play or arrange songs?
    Is he also the one who makes the album sound great sonically? When the bass thumps and the highs just sizzle, I've heard the term "good production" used to describe that.

I'm assuming that he has some input on songwriting, since I read that some of you are nervous that John Shanks worked with Bon Jovi.

Thanks in advance for enlightening me.

Fear the Elf
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Van Halen doesn't need a 2nd band to tour with.
    Still waiting for a relevant Browns Team

Perpetually Befuddled
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by FORD View Post
    Aldo Nova had three songs? I can't remember anything besides his "Life Is Just A Fantasy" ode to cocaine addiction.
    You do realize that with the above statement, you have singlehandedly insulted the nearly half dozen Aldo Nova fans that make up this great country? Shame on you, FORD. Shame on you.

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
    ― Stephen Hawking

Banned
    REPENT AND SINS NO MO!

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    A good producer is like a member of the band who takes individual ideas and makes sense out of them and creates the overall finished product...

An engineer handles the sonic aspect...

Personally I think 5150 should be off limits, and a proper studio employed where Edwad doesn't think he's in control...

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Some producers do get involved with the writing. Shanks has on many occasions. Glen Ballard is infamous for wanting to write the songs, which probably played a part in the 1996 VH fiasco.

For an example of how a producer can help a band shape their sound, listen to the Gene Simmons produced "Zero" demo vs Van Halen 1 produced by Ted Templeman.

Same band. Several of the same songs. Yet there's a difference in the sound. (Same thing if you listened to the Beatles demo tape that was rejected by Decca, as opposed to their official recorded catalog produced by George Martin.)

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by ELVIS View Post
    A good producer is like a member of the band who takes individual ideas and makes sense out of them and creates the overall finished product...

An engineer handles the sonic aspect...

Personally I think 5150 should be off limits, and a proper studio employed where Edwad doesn't think he's in control...

Definitely, do we know if this is at 5150?

At least they have a producer and not just an engineer.

The Menace Is Loose Again
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

No matter how much control Eddie gives over to this guy, or Dave, or anyone else.....it's still Eddies house, literally.
    “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Perpetually Befuddled
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Seshmeister View Post

At least they have a producer and not just an engineer.
    According to BLABBERMOUTH, the recording will take place at both 5150 and Shank's own studio.

Banned
    REPENT AND SINS NO MO!

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Seshmeister View Post
    I believe that's where Ded Al and Wulf were working and slagging off on Dave last year...

Banned
    REPENT AND SINS NO MO!

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Whatever the case though, my excitement is limited without Michael Anthony...

Roadie
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Agree. I'll buy the album either way. But Mike will be the difference between arenas and stadiums come summer time.

Use my hand, I won't look
    ____Van Fuckin' Halen____
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by lonnieg5 View Post
    Agree. I'll buy the album either way. But Mike will be the difference between arenas and stadiums come summer time.
    I'm OK with that... I can't stand stadium shows, but I know what you mean... It would be amazing to get a full reunion...

TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by lonnieg5 View Post

Mike would definitely add something and should be included. But to think that the bass player is the difference between 12,000 tickets and 65,000 tickets is insane.

That's 53,000 tickets you attribute to him. Dude can barely pull in 2500 touring with Sammy.

What will be the difference in stadiums or arenas is the promotion/publicity and Eddies willingness. If Ed let someone with half a brain actually do publicity for the band, they could easily do stadium shows. 07/08 they sold out 12,000 seat arenas with virtually zero push behind the tour. If the powers that be actually pushed the band, stadiums would be easy.

But that means they would have to do TV and radio interviews, appear on Leno & Letterman, update their social networking sites regularly, and actually feed the fans rather than starve them.

Banned
    REPENT AND SINS NO MO!

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I disagree...

Dave on his own didn't sell...

Van Halen is Dave Edward Alex and MICHAEL ANTHONY, period!

They wont get my money this time around...

TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I disagree...

Dave on his own didn't sell...

They wont get my money this time around...

Even if the album is good?

I was only able to see 1 show last time and to me it was fucking incredible. I would really like to see 2-3 if/when they tour again.

So what I'm saying here Elvis is....since you won't be going to the shows, can you dog sit for me that night? Just have to take him out front every few hours. Other than that, you get free range with the TV & computer. Pizza coupons on the fridge.

Banned
    REPENT AND SINS NO MO!

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I have dogs, send him to me...

Thanks forthe dream.- DLR
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by VAiN View Post
    I'm OK with that... I can't stand stadium shows, but I know what you mean... It would be amazing to get a full reunion...
    "Stadiums?? You can't hear my jokes in between the songs and you can't see my shoes unless you got binoculars." - DLR
    “Why do people say "grow some balls"? Balls are weak and sensitive. If you wanna be tough, grow a vagina. Those things can take a pounding” ― Betty White

Full On Cocktard
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    The bass player is not the difference between arenas and stadiums but in the case of =VH= , it is the difference. Mike not only plays awesome bass (and please spare me with the open E string note bullshit!!!) he can sing and run circles around Wolf and makes the original line-up that will easily double ticket sales. Wolfgang has no place in any band of veteran rockers... the very idea of it was ludicrous to start with.

Like a broken record I'm gonna say it again and I'll continue to so... It's too fuckin' bad that Diamond Dave had to bail back in '85. They would have continued to sell out stadiums three nights in a row if such had not happened.

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Come on guys, the days of Van Halen even remotely considering a stadium tour ended in 1984....

The band won't even do any press, for Christ sakes.... And in this economy ?? With the prices of concerts nowadays ??
    Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Full On Cocktard
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    That's because Dave bailed on them when they were just getting started. They would have downsized it by now but in the situation they are in now, a reunion would sell big time!

TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Va Beach VH Fan View Post
    Come on guys, the days of Van Halen even remotely considering a stadium tour ended in 1984....

The band won't even do any press, for Christ sakes.... And in this economy ?? With the prices of concerts nowadays ??

I picture it working great the way the Police did it. Like in Los Angeles they played 3 nights. 2 at Staples (arena) and 1 at Dodger Stadium.

Arenas sound a lot better and you can actually see. Getting there is easier, parking, etc. But a stadium show is an event. Nothing quite like singing "Dance, Dance, Dance the night away" with 64,999 other drunken fans. They could easily mix a handful of stadium shows in to a tour. LA, NY, midwest, Texas and arenas the bulk of it.

An entire tour of stadiums no. That would take Mike being back, a solid new album, and actually having some publicity. And since in reality they make just as much money from a tour like 07/08, what's the benefit for them?

Maybe headline a couple stadium festivals would be cool. I'd really like to see them once in a big time venue since I was too young to go to US Festival.

But hey, I'll pony up to see them at Flo's Diner if that's where they are gonna play. Maybe then they will respond to me shouting "play Dirty Movies!!!!".

Am I dreaming? Probably. But WTF? If you're gonna dream, dream big.

TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by FORD View Post

Maybe they could just play that 3 times?

Internetmaimment*TM
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    [QUOTE=lonnieg5;1515478]Hey guys,
    Forgive me for asking a question that is so obvious to most of you, but I'm a guy with zero studio experience.

What exactly does a producer do? Give direction the the band on the way to play or arrange songs?
    Is he also the one who makes the album sound great sonically? When the bass thumps and the highs just sizzle, I've heard the term "good production" used to describe that.

I'm assuming that he has some input on songwriting, since I read that some of you are nervous that John Shanks worked with Bon Jovi.

Confused yet? When I was 18 I had a scholarship to USC for biology. I instead walked into GIT and sat down in the first class of the day for Production School. The next day I went to the University. I decided that I was not able to be a producer that day, and it took ten years for me to wind up producing my own music. Producers most times could not make the liner notes. But when a band chooses them, they must NOT be asking for a cheerleader. Does that make any sense? Again Sonic is the Engineer....the rocks and pebbles and cement of the road...the band. So you tell me....What does a producer do? I say: Produce My Band.

Nuts and bolts? They help with Harmonies...memories....theories...symmetries. They are what the manager sometimes wants to talk to. They should at their very best.....stop the band from disintegrating. They function like editors but edit nothing. They shit and mark, but should leave no trace. Confused yet?

Summed up by his Tweet: Thunder big drums ect.....he needs to know what the band sounds like...and make them remember it also.
    Last edited by SunisinuS; 01-22-2011 at 01:23 AM. Reason: I had to modulate.
    Can't Control your Future. Can't Control your Friends. The women start to hike their skirts up. I didn't have a clue. That is when I kinda learned how to smile a lot. One Two Three Fouir fun ter thehr fuur.

Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Va Beach VH Fan View Post
    Thread title changed, I'm not giving the Tasmanian Devil any fucking credit.....

http://vhfrance.activebb.net/ (1 er Site Francophone sur Van Halen)

http://www.youtube.com/user/VHFranceVideos (Our new Channel)

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Whatever the case though, my excitement is limited without Michael Anthony...
    Have you tried a lubricant?

um...yeah
    Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by indeedido View Post
    Who gives a fuck about Triumph? Like that would really pack 'em in. May as well be Loverboy or Aldo Nova.
    I don't know about that, back in the day they put on a helluva live show for us oldtimers. Three talented musicians that I would put up against anybody. I doubt they would ever tour with VHIV simply because they don't want to open, that's how highly they think of themselves. Some might say that's egotistical, but in reality they know they can play. None of 'em are slouches by any means.

Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    For fuck's sake, please spare me a "career spanning" Van Halen box set.

Van Hagar has had multiple live releases on dvd and cd.

Please don't link the eras together. I really don't feel like buying a bunch of Van Hagar shit to get to the CVH goodies (I'd presume would be) included.

Fucking hell. It's just at the rumor stage, and already I'm pissed off.
    I totally agree with ya. DO NOT mix the eras! Better yet, don't even bother with Van Hagar. They've had their moment in the sun.

This part. Always was, always will be.

Quote Originally Posted by vaijuju View Post
    They forgot to ENLARGE the C there.

Quote Originally Posted by Unchainme View Post
    Van Halen doesn't need a 2nd band to tour with.
    In the past, I would have agreed with this, but now they might have to have a second band opening. They ain't no spring chickens anymore dude. From their showing of the last tour, they definitely need to relearn the songs and play them better in order to go solo and no opener imo. Especially if they're going to be charging outrageous prices again. I ain't paying to see Tubbo just stand around there and twiddle his thumbs.

The Starchild
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    They should tour with sabbath again
    I really love you baby, I love what you've got
    Let's get together we can, Get hot

Banned
    REPENT AND SINS NO MO!

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    So Sabbath can blow them off stage ??

TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

Sabbath can barely blow out all the candles on a birthday cake.

TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

If Sabbath wants to blow Van Halen off stage, they can get in line behind Connie Hamzy like everyone else.

The Starchild
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    gotta admit it would be kinda cool though

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Just like they did in 1978, right?

The Starchild
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    hey you never know,Im sure i heard Ozzy is planning to get active this year

Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Ozzy is one of the most, if not THE most active classic rock artists still going...
    Reading Crazy From the Heat in four hours flat, in a cramped RV, on the return trip of a 3,000+ mile family outing to New Jersey is an enlightening experience you'll never forget.

Banned
    REPENT AND SINS NO MO!

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Ozzy was awesome at the New orleans 2010 Voodoofest...

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by VanHalenFan5150 View Post
    Ozzy is one of the most, if not THE most active classic rock artists still going...
    Yeah, but he's "actively" making shitty records.

I'd actually hoped the Black Sabbath reunion would produce some great new music. Since 1996, they have come up with a total of three songs - the two studio songs on the "Reunion" live album (which weren't that great) and the one that they played on their last Ozzfest tour together and never released.

Maybe Geezer can't write songs anymore either? Wasn't an issue with Heaven & Hell, because Dio could write the lyrics.

Perpetually Befuddled
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by VanHalenFan5150 View Post
    Nope. Springsteen, by a huge margin. In the past 10 years, he's put out 6 studio recordings and 3 live albums. In the same period of time, Ozzy has crapped out 3 studio albums, 2 greatest hits compilations, 1 covers album and 1 lousy so-called "live" album.

The Starchild
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by chefcraig View Post
    Nope. Springsteen, by a huge margin. In the past 10 years, he's put out 6 studio recordings and 3 live albums. In the same period of time, Ozzy has crapped out 3 studio albums, 2 greatest hits compilations, 1 covers album and 1 lousy so-called "live" album.
    What about Kiss? 1 studio album, 3 live albums, 6 compilation albums, 3 singles and 4 box sets

Perpetually Befuddled
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave's Bitch View Post
    What about Kiss? 1 studio album, 3 live albums, 6 compilation albums, 3 singles and 4 box sets
    Other than repackaging stuff, one new studio album since 1998 isn't exactly what you'd call active. Unless traveling on a farewell tour that started around a decade ago and Gene's fake reality series count as well.

Thread Information