Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Blaze
    Full Member Status

• Jan 2009

Please become a friend of the library or make a library of your own!

Friend your library today!
    Learn more.
    Oops! We can’t seem to find the page you are looking for. Try another link or use the search feature to find the page you’re looking for. If you feel this is an error, please contact us for assistance.

Setting Up a Library: A Resource Guide
    Oops! We can’t seem to find the page you are looking for. Try another link or use the search feature to find the page you’re looking for. If you feel this is an error, please contact us for assistance.
    "I have heard there are troubles of more than one kind. - Some come from ahead and some come from behind. - But I've bought a big bat. I'm all ready you see. - Now my troubles are going to have troubles with me!" ~ Dr. Seuss
    sigpic

Comment

• Unchainme
      ROTH ARMY SUPREME
      • Apr 2005

I feel it's different.

When lets say, Nike is using a "Revolution" on the air and it's being used without his consent and to be made money off of, that's wrong.

When some mom is blaring prince in the background while filming her little kids playing putting the thing on youtube. I see no issue there. She's not intent on making money off the idea.

With using peer to peer it's kind of Grey in that it's like someone handing you a cassette mix tape they may have taped off the radio back in the day. You didn't really pay from someone else who's stolen the music, you've just simply found a way to access it for free.

If I'm taping a football game that just happens to feature a friend playing in said game, and make a copy for him that's for free and not for profit, there's no issue.
      Still waiting for a relevant Browns Team

Comment

• Seshmeister
        ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

I don't really understand how public libraries will work once everyone is using eBooks.

If I can go to the website of my local public library whenever I want and download the book why would I buy it?

Comment

• Unchainme
          ROTH ARMY SUPREME
          • Apr 2005

Another great post from lifehacker on the matter:
          Just what we need- more government interference that will screw up the usability of something great without actually solving the problem they were hoping to solve. Are those SOPA bozos in bed with TSA?

Hollywood cannot hope to stop piracy through restriction, government or otherwise. Their product is easily reproducible. They need a new business model. The old one has been overtaken by technology. Pissing and moaning about it won't change that.

There was a time when candle-makers had it made. Then came the lightbulb. Like it or not, candle-makers were left in the dust. The market demanded it. The idiots trying to keep the outdated business model alive need to face the hard reality. Their money is no longer in exclusive reproduction rights and physical copies of the product. They need to adapt. People still want movies and music. People still pay for it. If the thieves are making it hard to survive, they need to change their business model to meet the day's technology and make their copies of the product more desirable than knock-offs. The right or wrong of piracy is not the right argument to be having. That one's a waste of time, better left to those who cannot fathom a new direction. Right or wrong, like it or not, today's market demands a new direction. Deal with it. Adapt or go out of business. Figure out a way to market candles in a world full of lightbulbs. (Edit comment)
          It's time to evolve RIAA/MPAA, the ways of the past are dead.

And you know what, I'll go one step further. Both need to be killed off. Both don't make sense in a modern world.

Comment

• Unchainme
            ROTH ARMY SUPREME
            • Apr 2005

National Journal is a research and advisory services company based in Washington, D.C. offering services in government affairs.

Welp, a bit dated but looks like Obama is even going "Christ this is fucking stupid".

Comment

• Blaze
              Full Member Status

• Jan 2009

Originally posted by Seshmeister
              I don't really understand how public libraries will work once everyone is using eBooks.

If I can go to the website of my local public library whenever I want and download the book why would I buy it?
              Again stealing from libraries is frowned upon and in most cases a criminal offence. Theft is theft especially books that I have given to libraries.

I am going to cut and paste to save my writing time:

Frequently Asked E-book Questions from Public Librarians
              Prepared by the OITP E-book Task Force

26. What is DRM?
              DRM is digital rights management. It is a way of securing an e-book (or music or
              other digital file) so that only someone with the correct key can open it and use it.
              27. How does DRM work?
              There are many different forms of DRM, just as there are many types of physical
              locks. One simple form uses time and date and takes advantage of the fact that
              computers have built in clock calendars. The e-reading software on the PC checks
              the current date and time whenever the e-book is opened. When the current date
              and time are later than the e-book’s due date (which the e-reading software knows),
              it refuses to open the book. Some DRM systems rely on the credit card of the
              purchaser. Some use a complex encryption of the text and build the decryption key
              into their proprietary e-reader.

30. Can I convert one e-book format into another that I can read?
              You can convert almost any format into any other format. You can do this on the
              Web at http://convert.com and you can download the “calibre” software free from
              http://calibre-ebook.com. If the book is protected by DRM, you may not be able to
              convert it. A search engine will let you find sites that claim to have software that
              will strip DRM from e-books and allow you to convert them. Their claims may or
              may not be true. If they are true, using the software may or may not be legal.

34. One of the issues creates a dilemma for me at work. One of our missions is to serve the
              public libraries around the state. The big, urban centers are doing fine, but some of the
              small rural libraries are way behind…
              Small libraries may have trouble filling a patron’s needs for best sellers. But, if
              helping students with assigned reading is one of their roles, the existence of so many
              of the required reading classics as freely downloadable files is a slam dunk. You can
              get the book for the student even at the last moment after all the hard copies are out.
              And he can keep it. You can provide one for every person in the class. All for free.
              You can add a bib record to your online catalog with an 856 tag that links out to the
              file at Project Gutenberg or Open Library and “own” the book for all intents and
              purposes. E-books are great for poor and/or remote libraries.

As ebooks develop in library usage, I think the model of buy x number of copies if you want x number of people to read them, is better than x number of reads then replace.

With the classics being availed for free in ebooks, this will free up library budgets for the best sellers hard copies and other educational and recreational library services.

There will always be certain sorts that steal from the library. Some people get banned from the library for stealing ( and prosecuted). There are some books, that regularly I replace for libraries, (It costs me less to buy and donate a book, than if I gave the money to the library to buy the book. A good way to stretch my benevolent dollar). It is cheap, niggardly, and corrupt to look for ways to cheat a public source such as the library. Many books, I have checked out of a library and found them to be of such good to me that I indeed did buy a copy for my own personal library.

One thing that comes up of note, in my digital library stuff I create, a personal DMR might be out of my price range. I have not had to look into it. I suppose there will be open source DMR eventually. But the same as an public library, if someone steals from my collection, I charge them replacement value or do not let them borrow.

Last edited by Blaze; 11-17-2011, 06:20 PM.
              "I have heard there are troubles of more than one kind. - Some come from ahead and some come from behind. - But I've bought a big bat. I'm all ready you see. - Now my troubles are going to have troubles with me!" ~ Dr. Seuss
              sigpic

Comment

• Blaze
                Full Member Status

• Jan 2009

On a side note, some libraries check out works of art; it is a great place and way to store larger works, and cool service opportunity.
                sigpic

Comment

• Seshmeister
                  ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Why would I copy it when I can borrow it whenever I want?

My point with libraries and eBooks is that I rarely read books more than once and even if I did I could just download it again to my Kindle so why would I ever buy that content?

The reason I don't use my public library just now is that it is a hassle to go down there and they probably won't have the exact book I want so I buy it.

If books are not physical then it will always be available and I can download it just as easily to borrow as to buy, why would I ever buy a book again?

I'm sure there are people trying to work this problem out just now, I haven't looked into it, these are just my thoughts.

Comment

• Blaze
                    Full Member Status

• Jan 2009

Why would I copy it when I can borrow it whenever I want?

My point with libraries and eBooks is that I rarely read books more than once and even if I did I could just download it again to my Kindle so why would I ever buy that content?

The reason I don't use my public library just now is that it is a hassle to go down there and they probably won't have the exact book I want so I buy it.

If books are not physical then it will always be available and I can download it just as easily to borrow as to buy, why would I ever buy a book again?

I'm sure there are people trying to work this problem out just now, I haven't looked into it, these are just my thoughts.
                    Sesh, you would be a ideal library patron. the reasons you state are exactly why people use libraries now. In addition to one of my reasons; Not only do I not want to store a full library collection, but I also do not want to maintain the catalog.

BTW, you can check out hard copy books as many times as you like, if you would like to read it again. In addition, You can call the library and ask if they have the book, ask if it is availed, and place it on hold for you if it is in use.

There are many reasons why to buy books (gifts, occasion, need), e or otherwise. Books will always be bought, like magazines will be too. I get a sailing digital rag, but send it on to my brother. ... for now... lol

I have still not gotten an ereader, but I am looking. Most of all schools are going to eraeders. hauling around one ereader is way more better than a sack full of books. Buy back and reuse is a big deal in school books, Not sure how that is going to play out. Will the price drop or will some DMR be created to accommodate such use?

If and when Libraries start selling ereaders, like they do book bags, I will get one from my local library.
                    Last edited by Blaze; 11-17-2011, 07:09 PM.
                    sigpic

Comment

• Blaze
                      Full Member Status

• Jan 2009

Originally posted by Unchainme
                      I feel it's different.

When lets say, Nike is using a "Revolution" on the air and it's being used without his consent and to be made money off of, that's wrong.

When some mom is blaring prince in the background while filming her little kids playing putting the thing on youtube. I see no issue there. She's not intent on making money off the idea.

With using peer to peer it's kind of Grey in that it's like someone handing you a cassette mix tape they may have taped off the radio back in the day. You didn't really pay from someone else who's stolen the music, you've just simply found a way to access it for free.

If I'm taping a football game that just happens to feature a friend playing in said game, and make a copy for him that's for free and not for profit, there's no issue.
                      What you are describing here is corruption and greed 1% media. This is why when someone says "do not corral or cull corruption within the media", is indeed corrupt, greedy, and suspect. When someone advocates not exposing media exploits, you should question why!

Take any script writing 101 class and you will learn, it is not only chance youtubers that have the issue of what is shown in the background, but also documentaries, investigative journalist, and many others. The corruption and greed is not from the LEO's trying to manage fraud, but from the Sonys, WBs, Disneys.

Indeed, the bullet must be bit and the greed and corruption of the Industry needs to be hit head on.... and it will hurt and be scary to do so, but the zombie can and will be killed, God willing. ~`~
                      Last edited by Blaze; 11-17-2011, 07:59 PM.
                      sigpic

Comment

• knuckleboner
                        Crazy Ass Mofo
                        • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Unchainme
                        You're right about this, no one has ever taken a book to read without paying for it.

signed
                        Any given Public Library.
                        and how many people who download a song without paying for it delete it (return it) after use? if they don't, then the situation is not like a library.

Comment

• Shaun Ponsonby
                          ROTH ARMY ELITE
                          • Oct 2004

I dunno...it doesn't feel like I'm reading a book if I'm reading it online. I'll always rather have the book in my hand.

Similarly, I'll always rather have the CD/vinyl/DVD.
                          Fast & Bulbous, Got Me?

Comment

• Shaun Ponsonby
                            ROTH ARMY ELITE
                            • Oct 2004

Pete Townshend did a lecture about piracy for the BBC's Radio Festival. He was against it, naturally. Not from the point of view of a millionaire rock star, but he said he was thinking of younger artists who have nowhere near the money he has. Young bands who are struggling to survive and will always struggle to survive if people keep illegally downloading their music. People are always complaining about a lack of great bands these days. Maybe you should consider piracy as a reason none of the ones with potential are given a chance to flourish.
                            Fast & Bulbous, Got Me?

Comment

• ThrillsNSpills
                              ROTH ARMY ELITE
                              • Jan 2004

I don't want any Pirates online, its harder to get people to walk the plank.

ARRRRRRR

Comment

• Unchainme
                                ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                                • Apr 2005

Originally posted by Shaun Ponsonby
                                Pete Townshend did a lecture about piracy for the BBC's Radio Festival. He was against it, naturally. Not from the point of view of a millionaire rock star, but he said he was thinking of younger artists who have nowhere near the money he has. Young bands who are struggling to survive and will always struggle to survive if people keep illegally downloading their music. People are always complaining about a lack of great bands these days. Maybe you should consider piracy as a reason none of the ones with potential are given a chance to flourish.
                                On the flip side.

Online allows them an avenue that would otherwise be shut off. The landscape has changed so much that you have to be viral to get some form of popularity.

Where are they going to get their music played? Clear Channel has neutered radio to a pathetic point. MTV? 4 am music videos and they've just now woken up to the significant amount of electronic fans and given them their own block. Best Buy has taken over record stores and their selection is limited, and the rec. execs? Ain't signing you. if you ain't a tween/forumalic pop band or have a certain sound it's not worth it.

The Internet? there's no real limitations. It allows you to get out the word to a lot of people and get their attentiion where as normally people would go "meh". "Hey I really like this groups album I torrented, I think I'll go see their show, I think I'll go buy merchandise, hell, I'll buy their album because I like the art". There's ways to make money that don't involve selling albums.

Comment

Working...