Fear the Elf
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    08-29-2021 @ 06:13 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Stop Online Piracy Bill

This bill would establish a system for taking down websites that the Justice Department determines to be dedicated to copyright infringment. The DoJ or the copyright owner would be able to commence a legal action against any site they deem to have "only limited purpose or use other than infringement," and the DoJ would be allowed to demand that search engines, social networking sites and domain name services block access to the targeted site. It would also make unauthorized web streaming of copyrighted content a felony with a possible penalty up to five years in prison. This bill combines two separate Senate bills -- S.968 and S.978 -- into one big House bill.
    http://www.opencongress.org/bill/112-h3261/show

THOSE FUCKING CUNTS.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Fear the Elf
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:15 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,750 Times in 2,061 Posts

Blog Entries
    Looks like the RIAA and their cronies want some attention. but this is how it starts - most likely they would target blogs for music and then photos and then any opinion that might sponsor or promote terrorism. I don't know who is more paranoid anymore me or them.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Running with myself
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    06-13-2016 @ 11:12 AM
    Status
    Thanks

This whole corporate greed fiction known as "intellectual property" is far more evil than any scheme I ever cooked up in the firey pits of Hell.

5. 2 users say thank you to Satan for this KICKASS post:

SunisinuS (11-16-2011),Unchainme (11-16-2011)

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-27-2024 @ 02:53 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,991 Times in 3,230 Posts

Blog Entries
    We just need to realize we are the boss and all these fucks in Washington DC work for us. Fuck Em.

7. Thanked Nitro Express for this KICKASS post:

Unchainme (11-16-2011)

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Satan View Post
    This whole corporate greed fiction known as "intellectual property" is far more evil than any scheme I ever cooked up in the firey pits of Hell.
    We might be sending some of those responsible down to you.

Fear the Elf
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I also realized this...this also not only fucks over free speech, but the quality of music as well.

Every new group I've listened to wasn't discovered by some fuck head record exec, rather they used the internet to their advantage to push their music. I went to a concert in sept. featuring a rapper and a rn'b singer that dabbled into electronic music. Without word of mouth from things like twitter, youtube and torrenting, they would not have been able to play in front of like 3000 screaming fans.

Without the internet? Your music choices are nickelback caliber.

Running with myself
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    06-13-2016 @ 11:12 AM
    Status
    Thanks

The thing that really curled my horns was the whole Metallica vs Napster thing.

These guys sold me their souls in 1982, then immediately turned around and recorded a demo tape called "No Life Till Leather" and openly encouraged their fans to bootleg the tape all up and down the West Coast. And this was in the cassette tape days, so by the time you're the third guy down the line to get a copy of this tape, it's already unlistenable. Without my help, I doubt they would have been signed at all, because a listenable copy of the tape would have never made it to Megaforce Records in NYC otherwise.

Napster, in its original configuration, made it possible for an up and coming band to circulate their demos as widely as Metallica did, in an obviously faster time frame, with no loss of sound quality, apart from the initial rip to a lossy MP3 format.

Would Lar$ and his pals have used Napster if it had existed in 1982? You can bet your soul on it.

11. Thanked Satan for this KICKASS post:

Unchainme (11-16-2011)

C.U.N.T. Ambassador
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    12-10-2014 @ 10:07 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    You do realize that you can sell or give away your work most any place now. Copyright protection keeps the likes of citibank from stealing from your IP.
    If an artist wants to give away their work they can put it on their site.

Other than dropping docx there really is no need for massive torrent sites. And those can be dropped many many many ways, including forced injection for protection.

Rice Cooker
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-07-2024 @ 03:10 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Satan View Post
    a system that doesn't protect intellectual property will denigrate into anarchy.

if i make a bunch of books, we all agree that you can't grab a bunch without paying and run off. but somehow, it's supposed to be different if those books are stored online? you should be able to do whatever you want with my online book?

just because the internet makes it really easy to steal things doesn't mean it's not theft.

14. Thanked knuckleboner for this KICKASS post:

Blaze (11-17-2011)

Fear the Elf
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by knuckleboner View Post
    a system that doesn't protect intellectual property will denigrate into anarchy.

if i make a bunch of books, we all agree that you can't grab a bunch without paying and run off. but somehow, it's supposed to be different if those books are stored online? you should be able to do whatever you want with my online book?

just because the internet makes it really easy to steal things doesn't mean it's not theft.
    You're right about this, no one has ever taken a book to read without paying for it.

signed
    Any given Public Library.

C.U.N.T. Ambassador
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Unchainme View Post
    You're right about this, no one has ever taken a book to read without paying for it.

signed
    If you steal from the library you are scumbag steve.
    Libraries are availed on the web.
    Please don't be a hateful mean no good bad news and steal from libraries; including mine.

Fear the Elf
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Blaze View Post
    If you steal from the library you are scumbag steve.
    Libraries are availed on the web.
    Please don't be a hateful mean no good bad news and steal from libraries; including mine.
    A library is something where you're able to access materials that would normally be for a private use in a public setting. You can borrow a book for a few weeks or so, and then return it. You could in theory, if desired make a copy of the book for a friend if you had the finical means of doing it. or you could even, if desired scan it and keep it with you via an electronic means.

There was at last check, CD's available to borrow, and a few friends of mine would simply burn those rather than actually just going to bit torrent or limewire when I was in HS. There's DVD's and VHS's there as well so in theory with the correct hardware you could actually burn those and have those saved in capacity.

If these people were wise, they'd be embracing things like spotify which is a great system that's completely legal and free. Don't forget Hulu for tv shows. Peer to Peer is not going to disappear as much as those in the gov't want it to, and you know what? It's probably likely been around since someone invented a cassette player like FORD said.

BTW, enjoyed this argument that was given on lifehacker earlier:

The entertainment industry is "hurting" not because of illegal downloads and pirating. Its because what is constituted as entertainment now-a-days is complete and utter shit. To the point where no one wants to spend hard earn money on it or let alone get it for free. So because of this they want to hand over control to a bunch of whinny asshats, that instead of trying to figure out innovative new ways to catch our attention, they just want to herd us to their unoriginal dens to spend money on musicians that have no talent or a movie that has been remade 35 times or watch a show about a group people I have no interest in and avoid at all cost even in person?

And we have to argue that this wrong!? God I dont want to live on this planet anymore. (Edit comment)
    You kill off torrenting and peer to peer you've closed of a significant avenue for musicians to make a name for themselves. Again, Rock N' Roll would be dead to me had I not been turned on to a group like the Black Keys who are from my hometown, who again made their name by being good enough to make a buzz on the web. Pathetically the two Clear Channel stations near me chose to played Disturbed, Nickelback and Staind, and the same shitty corporate rage-rock than someone who's actually really talented and right in their backyard.

Another example. My little bro is an electronic music addict. Digs Daft Punk, Justice, all those groups. Guess what? He can't find shit around here for music in the stores like Best Buy or even the local record store here. He'd had to turn yes, illegally downloading music, which a lot of those artists have no problem with. or him it's a great way to listen to these groups that he'd never get to listen to otherwise.

The internet is the last frontier for real artistic freedom in the realm of pop/rock/hip-hop/electronic music. MTV ain't it any more, nor is rock radio, nor is your local record shop. All three are dead mediums. I shutter at a world where this is taken away.
    Last edited by Unchainme; 11-17-2011 at 03:23 AM.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Basically a bunch of crooks have taken over the government and now they are just stealing money out of people's accounts now. Basically their banking system is a failure so they are just going to grab assets illegally and roll over the constitution. So we just all need to band together and say fuck em! We don't need the money they print from nothing or their credit cards or their fucked up chain stores.

We don't need them but they think we still think we do. If we play our cards right we not only can beat these fucks but make a better situation in the end. The more they grab the more they expose themselves and the problem.

C.U.N.T. Ambassador
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Libraries pay extra for the right to lend media, including books. I about a 2 or 3 years ago, it was brought to my attention by a librarian, (the file has long since been archived, so I am going to have to discourse from memory)
    As new media enters into the market place, such as ebooks and other electronic learning devices, libraries have a special concern when a hard copy book or other hard copy media is bought by a library the library pays more for the book that the consumer because the book will be going into circulation. Once the book or media is bought, they have the book or media; there will be no more cost associated with that material unless the material is destroyed or stolen. With new media, the issue arises that even though the library pays more for the material it is only allowed limited number of uses then they library must buy (correct word?) the material again.

This issue is being confused with the piracy issue. Freedom of information is necessary for unfettered study (of good and bad things)
    Intellectual Freedom and Censorship Q & A
    http://www.ala.org/ala/aboutala/offi...rshipqanda.cfm

Copyright infringement is a completely other matter. The entertainment industry includes you and I, not just corporate interests. That being said, it is important to note the copyrights of every person. It is also important to note that copyright laws and mores' vary across geo-political boundaries. Some areas of the world have no copyright laws or mores at all.
    One aspect of copyright infringement deals with the mass theft by large corporation of media of so-called orphan work.
    Read this to familiarize you with the concept:
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/11/03/orphan_rights/

I often orphan work; I do so for a reason and do not want the work exploited.

In conclusion, copyright infringement should not be confused with freedom of information.

People, including artist like Van Halen and Paul McCartney, should have the rights to their works for their use. In other words, Paul should be able to have a say in where his work will be exploited and availed for his own exploitation. In addition, as the article pointed out copy right protection is important to every person on the planet. Moreover, the protection of one's work should be a fundamental human right.

I have the right to my works or the right to bastardize it for its life. Intellectual property rights should indeed be fought for and indeed you and I should have a judicial means of law enforcement.

Freedom of information, including poor quality, indeed should be defended.

Sources:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_rights_management
    http://www.ala.org/ala/aboutala/offi...rshipqanda.cfm
    http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...M043R.DTL&ao=2
    http://nl.newsbank.com/nl-search/we/...ckval=GooglePM
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/11/03/orphan_rights/
    http://newlearninginstitute.org/blog...dempsey-part-i
    http://www.ala.org/ala/mgrps/divs/ac...aresources.cfm
    http://ussan.org/standards/home/isbn...index.asp#ISSN

C.U.N.T. Ambassador
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Please become a friend of the library or make a library of your own!

Friend your library today!
    Learn more.
    http://www.ala.org/ala/mgrps/divs/al...ur-library.cfm

Setting Up a Library: A Resource Guide
    http://www.ala.org/ala/professionalr...actsheet16.cfm

Fear the Elf
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I feel it's different.

When lets say, Nike is using a "Revolution" on the air and it's being used without his consent and to be made money off of, that's wrong.

When some mom is blaring prince in the background while filming her little kids playing putting the thing on youtube. I see no issue there. She's not intent on making money off the idea.

With using peer to peer it's kind of Grey in that it's like someone handing you a cassette mix tape they may have taped off the radio back in the day. You didn't really pay from someone else who's stolen the music, you've just simply found a way to access it for free.

If I'm taping a football game that just happens to feature a friend playing in said game, and make a copy for him that's for free and not for profit, there's no issue.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 12:43 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,347 Times in 6,031 Posts

I don't really understand how public libraries will work once everyone is using eBooks.

If I can go to the website of my local public library whenever I want and download the book why would I buy it?

23. Thanked Seshmeister for this KICKASS post:

Unchainme (11-17-2011)

Fear the Elf
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Another great post from lifehacker on the matter:
    Just what we need- more government interference that will screw up the usability of something great without actually solving the problem they were hoping to solve. Are those SOPA bozos in bed with TSA?

Hollywood cannot hope to stop piracy through restriction, government or otherwise. Their product is easily reproducible. They need a new business model. The old one has been overtaken by technology. Pissing and moaning about it won't change that.

There was a time when candle-makers had it made. Then came the lightbulb. Like it or not, candle-makers were left in the dust. The market demanded it. The idiots trying to keep the outdated business model alive need to face the hard reality. Their money is no longer in exclusive reproduction rights and physical copies of the product. They need to adapt. People still want movies and music. People still pay for it. If the thieves are making it hard to survive, they need to change their business model to meet the day's technology and make their copies of the product more desirable than knock-offs. The right or wrong of piracy is not the right argument to be having. That one's a waste of time, better left to those who cannot fathom a new direction. Right or wrong, like it or not, today's market demands a new direction. Deal with it. Adapt or go out of business. Figure out a way to market candles in a world full of lightbulbs. (Edit comment)
    It's time to evolve RIAA/MPAA, the ways of the past are dead.

And you know what, I'll go one step further. Both need to be killed off. Both don't make sense in a modern world.

Fear the Elf
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

http://www.nationaljournal.com/tech/...-bill-20111108

Welp, a bit dated but looks like Obama is even going "Christ this is fucking stupid".

C.U.N.T. Ambassador
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seshmeister View Post
    I don't really understand how public libraries will work once everyone is using eBooks.

If I can go to the website of my local public library whenever I want and download the book why would I buy it?
    Again stealing from libraries is frowned upon and in most cases a criminal offence. Theft is theft especially books that I have given to libraries.

I am going to cut and paste to save my writing time:

Frequently Asked E-book Questions from Public Librarians
    Prepared by the OITP E-book Task Force

26. What is DRM?
    DRM is digital rights management. It is a way of securing an e-book (or music or
    other digital file) so that only someone with the correct key can open it and use it.
    27. How does DRM work?
    There are many different forms of DRM, just as there are many types of physical
    locks. One simple form uses time and date and takes advantage of the fact that
    computers have built in clock calendars. The e-reading software on the PC checks
    the current date and time whenever the e-book is opened. When the current date
    and time are later than the e-book’s due date (which the e-reading software knows),
    it refuses to open the book. Some DRM systems rely on the credit card of the
    purchaser. Some use a complex encryption of the text and build the decryption key
    into their proprietary e-reader.

30. Can I convert one e-book format into another that I can read?
    You can convert almost any format into any other format. You can do this on the
    Web at http://convert.com and you can download the “calibre” software free from
    http://calibre-ebook.com. If the book is protected by DRM, you may not be able to
    convert it. A search engine will let you find sites that claim to have software that
    will strip DRM from e-books and allow you to convert them. Their claims may or
    may not be true. If they are true, using the software may or may not be legal.

34. One of the issues creates a dilemma for me at work. One of our missions is to serve the
    public libraries around the state. The big, urban centers are doing fine, but some of the
    small rural libraries are way behind…
    Small libraries may have trouble filling a patron’s needs for best sellers. But, if
    helping students with assigned reading is one of their roles, the existence of so many
    of the required reading classics as freely downloadable files is a slam dunk. You can
    get the book for the student even at the last moment after all the hard copies are out.
    And he can keep it. You can provide one for every person in the class. All for free.
    You can add a bib record to your online catalog with an 856 tag that links out to the
    file at Project Gutenberg or Open Library and “own” the book for all intents and
    purposes. E-books are great for poor and/or remote libraries.

As ebooks develop in library usage, I think the model of buy x number of copies if you want x number of people to read them, is better than x number of reads then replace.

With the classics being availed for free in ebooks, this will free up library budgets for the best sellers hard copies and other educational and recreational library services.

There will always be certain sorts that steal from the library. Some people get banned from the library for stealing ( and prosecuted). There are some books, that regularly I replace for libraries, (It costs me less to buy and donate a book, than if I gave the money to the library to buy the book. A good way to stretch my benevolent dollar). It is cheap, niggardly, and corrupt to look for ways to cheat a public source such as the library. Many books, I have checked out of a library and found them to be of such good to me that I indeed did buy a copy for my own personal library.

One thing that comes up of note, in my digital library stuff I create, a personal DMR might be out of my price range. I have not had to look into it. I suppose there will be open source DMR eventually. But the same as an public library, if someone steals from my collection, I charge them replacement value or do not let them borrow.

http://www.ala.org/ala/aboutala/offi...e-book_faq.pdf
    Last edited by Blaze; 11-17-2011 at 05:20 PM.

C.U.N.T. Ambassador
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    On a side note, some libraries check out works of art; it is a great place and way to store larger works, and cool service opportunity.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Why would I copy it when I can borrow it whenever I want?

My point with libraries and eBooks is that I rarely read books more than once and even if I did I could just download it again to my Kindle so why would I ever buy that content?

The reason I don't use my public library just now is that it is a hassle to go down there and they probably won't have the exact book I want so I buy it.

If books are not physical then it will always be available and I can download it just as easily to borrow as to buy, why would I ever buy a book again?

I'm sure there are people trying to work this problem out just now, I haven't looked into it, these are just my thoughts.

C.U.N.T. Ambassador
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Why would I copy it when I can borrow it whenever I want?

My point with libraries and eBooks is that I rarely read books more than once and even if I did I could just download it again to my Kindle so why would I ever buy that content?

The reason I don't use my public library just now is that it is a hassle to go down there and they probably won't have the exact book I want so I buy it.

If books are not physical then it will always be available and I can download it just as easily to borrow as to buy, why would I ever buy a book again?

I'm sure there are people trying to work this problem out just now, I haven't looked into it, these are just my thoughts.
    Sesh, you would be a ideal library patron. the reasons you state are exactly why people use libraries now. In addition to one of my reasons; Not only do I not want to store a full library collection, but I also do not want to maintain the catalog.

BTW, you can check out hard copy books as many times as you like, if you would like to read it again. In addition, You can call the library and ask if they have the book, ask if it is availed, and place it on hold for you if it is in use.

There are many reasons why to buy books (gifts, occasion, need), e or otherwise. Books will always be bought, like magazines will be too. I get a sailing digital rag, but send it on to my brother. ... for now... lol

I have still not gotten an ereader, but I am looking. Most of all schools are going to eraeders. hauling around one ereader is way more better than a sack full of books. Buy back and reuse is a big deal in school books, Not sure how that is going to play out. Will the price drop or will some DMR be created to accommodate such use?

If and when Libraries start selling ereaders, like they do book bags, I will get one from my local library.
    Last edited by Blaze; 11-17-2011 at 06:09 PM.

C.U.N.T. Ambassador
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    I feel it's different.

When lets say, Nike is using a "Revolution" on the air and it's being used without his consent and to be made money off of, that's wrong.

When some mom is blaring prince in the background while filming her little kids playing putting the thing on youtube. I see no issue there. She's not intent on making money off the idea.

With using peer to peer it's kind of Grey in that it's like someone handing you a cassette mix tape they may have taped off the radio back in the day. You didn't really pay from someone else who's stolen the music, you've just simply found a way to access it for free.

If I'm taping a football game that just happens to feature a friend playing in said game, and make a copy for him that's for free and not for profit, there's no issue.
    What you are describing here is corruption and greed 1% media. This is why when someone says "do not corral or cull corruption within the media", is indeed corrupt, greedy, and suspect. When someone advocates not exposing media exploits, you should question why!

Take any script writing 101 class and you will learn, it is not only chance youtubers that have the issue of what is shown in the background, but also documentaries, investigative journalist, and many others. The corruption and greed is not from the LEO's trying to manage fraud, but from the Sonys, WBs, Disneys.

Indeed, the bullet must be bit and the greed and corruption of the Industry needs to be hit head on.... and it will hurt and be scary to do so, but the zombie can and will be killed, God willing. ~`~
    Last edited by Blaze; 11-17-2011 at 06:59 PM.

31. Thanked Blaze for this KICKASS post:

Unchainme (11-17-2011)

Rice Cooker
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

signed
    and how many people who download a song without paying for it delete it (return it) after use? if they don't, then the situation is not like a library.

33. Thanked knuckleboner for this KICKASS post:

Shaun Ponsonby (11-20-2011)

Underwhelmist
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    11-22-2011 @ 11:45 PM
    Status
    Thanks

I dunno...it doesn't feel like I'm reading a book if I'm reading it online. I'll always rather have the book in my hand.

Similarly, I'll always rather have the CD/vinyl/DVD.

35. Thanked Shaun Ponsonby for this KICKASS post:

Nickdfresh (11-20-2011)

Underwhelmist
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Pete Townshend did a lecture about piracy for the BBC's Radio Festival. He was against it, naturally. Not from the point of view of a millionaire rock star, but he said he was thinking of younger artists who have nowhere near the money he has. Young bands who are struggling to survive and will always struggle to survive if people keep illegally downloading their music. People are always complaining about a lack of great bands these days. Maybe you should consider piracy as a reason none of the ones with potential are given a chance to flourish.

37. Thanked Shaun Ponsonby for this KICKASS post:

Blaze (11-20-2011)

ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    04-12-2014 @ 11:20 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,202 Times in 757 Posts

I don't want any Pirates online, its harder to get people to walk the plank.

ARRRRRRR

Fear the Elf
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Shaun Ponsonby View Post
    Pete Townshend did a lecture about piracy for the BBC's Radio Festival. He was against it, naturally. Not from the point of view of a millionaire rock star, but he said he was thinking of younger artists who have nowhere near the money he has. Young bands who are struggling to survive and will always struggle to survive if people keep illegally downloading their music. People are always complaining about a lack of great bands these days. Maybe you should consider piracy as a reason none of the ones with potential are given a chance to flourish.
    On the flip side.

Online allows them an avenue that would otherwise be shut off. The landscape has changed so much that you have to be viral to get some form of popularity.

Where are they going to get their music played? Clear Channel has neutered radio to a pathetic point. MTV? 4 am music videos and they've just now woken up to the significant amount of electronic fans and given them their own block. Best Buy has taken over record stores and their selection is limited, and the rec. execs? Ain't signing you. if you ain't a tween/forumalic pop band or have a certain sound it's not worth it.

The Internet? there's no real limitations. It allows you to get out the word to a lot of people and get their attentiion where as normally people would go "meh". "Hey I really like this groups album I torrented, I think I'll go see their show, I think I'll go buy merchandise, hell, I'll buy their album because I like the art". There's ways to make money that don't involve selling albums.

Underwhelmist
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

On the flip side.

Online allows them an avenue that would otherwise be shut off. The landscape has changed so much that you have to be viral to get some form of popularity.

Where are they going to get their music played? Clear Channel has neutered radio to a pathetic point. MTV? 4 am music videos and they've just now woken up to the significant amount of electronic fans and given them their own block. Best Buy has taken over record stores and their selection is limited, and the rec. execs? Ain't signing you. if you ain't a tween/forumalic pop band or have a certain sound it's not worth it.

The Internet? there's no real limitations. It allows you to get out the word to a lot of people and get their attentiion where as normally people would go "meh". "Hey I really like this groups album I torrented, I think I'll go see their show, I think I'll go buy merchandise, hell, I'll buy their album because I like the art". There's ways to make money that don't involve selling albums.
    I have no idea what a "Best Buy" is.

People always say this...but how many bands are there on the internet? Hundreds of thousands. How many of them can you be arsed listening to? I know I can't be arsed going through all of those bands to find, what? Maybe a handful that I like. It always seems people use this as rationalisation for piracy. I don't think the internet does open as many avenues as many believe, because to stand out amongst a seriously high number of artists literally from all over the world enough to make a living from what you're doing you still need to have some kind of professional representation in the business. Unless you have built the audience over a long period of time you still can't emancipate yourself and be a 100% free agent. It's all well and good for someone like Prince to break away and do everything himself, he spent 1978-1996 on a major record label who invested big bucks in him and, consequently, he built up an audience, had countless hits, sold 80 million albums and everybody knows his name. [Insert name of band you've never heard of] can't do that because nobody knows, and most don't care, who they are.

C.U.N.T. Ambassador
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    You do not need pirate site to give away (or sell) music on the web.

42. Thanked Blaze for this KICKASS post:

Shaun Ponsonby (11-20-2011)

Rice Cooker
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Blaze View Post
    You do not need pirate site to give away (or sell) music on the web.
    amen.

if a band choose to sell or give away their music on the internet, great. but its their music. it should be their choice. if it's not, then it's theft.

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:04 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,565 Times in 3,450 Posts

I dunno...it doesn't feel like I'm reading a book if I'm reading it online. I'll always rather have the book in my hand.

Similarly, I'll always rather have the CD/vinyl/DVD.
    Yeppers.

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:04 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,565 Times in 3,450 Posts

He has a point, but the vast majority of money being made isn't from record nor Apple download sales. The money's in the touring and live shows...

I have no idea what a "Best Buy" is.
    Best Buy is a North American electronics chain that is one of only two major brick-and-mortar est. where one can find music...
    Last edited by Nickdfresh; 11-20-2011 at 07:38 PM.

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:15 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,750 Times in 2,061 Posts

Blog Entries
    People are always complaining about a lack of great bands these days. Maybe you should consider piracy as a reason none of the ones with potential are given a chance to flourish.
    Piss-poor argument you have there, monkey boy. Bands today no matter how good or bad are given the same amount of equality to flourish as that limey cocksucking hypocrite Townshend did in his day. Difference today being if a band like The Who were starting out not one commercialized radio market going would play them. Besides, who listens to the radio anymore? It's all satellite or MP3 who do play up and coming and hopefully talented pop acts. And since Townshend has so much money maybe he should give some of it back as refunds for those dismal albums he put out in the 90's.

Fear the Elf
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Nickdfresh View Post
    He has a point, but the vast majority of money being made isn't from record nor Apple download sales. The money's in the touring and live shows...
    http://www.techdirt.com/articles/201...32549541.shtml

it's what gaga said. and she's one of the bigger earners in the world right now.

I believe the dude that preformed at my school got paid around 40k to come here. again, without torrenting or youtube, dude's not making that money because that's strictly where his popularity came from.

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:06 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,284 Times in 4,713 Posts

Here's my take on this whole goddamn mess.....

I downloaded the "bonus disc" from the Rolling Stones Some Girls remaster yesterday. I won't say where I got it from, because the RIAA trolls do watch this site (some of you may remember one of them openly admitted it). I downloaded it, because I was sick of waiting to hear it, and it's not in the store yet. Simple as that.

Am I going to buy it. Hell yes. In one form or another. I've bought every Rolling Stones album since the original Some Girls on or shortly after the day of release (and all the older ones too) so Mick and Keith ain't got nothing to worry about.

I also download a lot of TV shows from the net. It's more convenient than trying to figure out how to record two shows that are on at the same time or whatever. I watch them, and then I delete it. Anything worth keeping, I'll eventually buy it on a DVD anyway.

In other words, I'm doing exactly the same goddamn thing that I did in the 1980's when I recorded a "leaked" album played in its entirety on pre-corporate-bastardized FM radio, or recorded a TV show on my VCR. And I don't feel any more guilt for doing so now than I did then, nor should I. Nor should I have to pay for it. Unless you count the ridiculous amount of money I'm paying Comca$t every month to access it.

I am not the criminal. THEY are. Fuck 'em.

49. Thanked FORD for this KICKASS post:

Unchainme (11-20-2011)

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

http://boingboing.net/2010/05/14/mic...-talks-do.html

This BBC News interview with [Sir] Mick Jagger on the 40th anniversary of the Rolling Stones' Exile on Main Street contains a few really choice grafs about the myth that the internet has robbed artists of their livelihoods. He seems pretty chill about the perceived threats of downloading, and explains that for a long time, the record labels did a fine job of robbing artists:

BBC: What's your feeling on technology and music?

Jagger: Technology and music have been together since the beginning of recording. [The internet is] just one facet of the technology of music. Music has been aligned with technology for a long time. The model of records and record selling is a very complex subject and quite boring, to be honest.

BBC: But your view is valid because you have a huge catalogue, which is worth a lot of money, and you've been in the business a long time, so you have perspective.

Jagger: Well, it's all changed in the last couple of years. We've gone through a period where everyone downloaded everything for nothing and we've gone into a grey period it's much easier to pay for things - assuming you've got any money.

BBC: Are you quite relaxed about it?

Jagger: I am quite relaxed about it. But, you know, it is a massive change and it does alter the fact that people don't make as much money out of records. But I have a take on that - people only made money out of records for a very, very small time. When The Rolling Stones started out, we didn't make any money out of records because record companies wouldn't pay you! They didn't pay anyone!

Then, there was a small period from 1970 to 1997, where people did get paid, and they got paid very handsomely and everyone made money. But now that period has gone. So if you look at the history of recorded music from 1900 to now, there was a 25 year period where artists did very well, but the rest of the time they didn't.
    Here's the entire interview.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/8681410.stm

Underwhelmist
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kristy View Post
    Piss-poor argument you have there, monkey boy. Bands today no matter how good or bad are given the same amount of equality to flourish as that limey cocksucking hypocrite Townshend did in his day. Difference today being if a band like The Who were starting out not one commercialized radio market going would play them. Besides, who listens to the radio anymore? It's all satellite or MP3 who do play up and coming and hopefully talented pop acts. And since Townshend has so much money maybe he should give some of it back as refunds for those dismal albums he put out in the 90's.
    My arguments may be piss poor at times, but at least it's not an ill-researched snap judgement or illogical off-hand comment.

Thread Information