ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    http://gawker.com/5877658/megaupload...te-arrest-four

unfucking real.

it's already begun.

This is fascism. This is not a democratic republic.

people better wake the fuck up or one you'll be living in a fucking version of 1984.

our voice is being sold to the highest fucking bidders. fuck them.
    Still waiting for a relevant Browns Team

Rice Cooker
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    how is it facism if they stop a website from allowing illegal access to copyrighted material?

Perpetually Befuddled
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by knuckleboner View Post
    as for SOPA, does it go too far in requiring small businesses to police and shut down access to various websites? yeah, maybe. but that doesn't change the fact that if somebody legally owns the right to a property, it should be their choice how that property is accessed, or isn't accessed.
    On the face of it, this legislation looks like it would simply uphold the rights of intellectual or real property's use on the internet. Fair enough, and it makes perfect sense. But the more you dig into it, the more worrisome it becomes. The article sets in motion an openly vast variety of ways to enforce such a thing, much in the same way the Patriot Act (for instance) is so absurdly broad in it's overview that unconstitutional acts can be committed in the name of anti-terrorism. And the concept of "If you have nothing to hide, you have nothing to fear" fails to work in either case.

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
    ― Stephen Hawking

Rice Cooker
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by chefcraig View Post
    On the face of it, this legislation looks like it would simply uphold the rights of intellectual or real property's use on the internet. Fair enough, and it makes perfect sense. But the more you dig into it, the more worrisome it becomes. The article sets in motion an openly vast variety of ways to enforce such a thing, much in the same way the Patriot Act (for instance) is so absurdly broad in it's overview that unconstitutional acts can be committed in the name of anti-terrorism. And the concept of "If you have nothing to hide, you have nothing to fear" fails to work in either case.
    i totally agree with you. i was simply trying to say that regardless of whether SOPA is good or not (i don't think it is), it doesn't mean that intellectual property theft is somehow acceptable. though, SOPA is not the answer.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    how is it facism if they stop a website from allowing illegal access to copyrighted material?
    I think the way the bill is framed at the moment then anyone can get a site closed down and the onus is on the site to appear in court and defend itself.

In other words you can be prevented from viewing almost all sites not hosted in the US very easily because the owners are not going to defend themselves in a US court.

Imagine as an example someone posts a picture of a Frankenstrat here and the Eddie Van Halen people decide they don't like that because it has his stripe design on it. At the moment they can send a removal notice to Sarge/The ISP requesting that it be taken down. If he wants to fight that then he can in court or he may just edit the post.

The new act would allow the Eddie Van Halen people to have this website blocked by ISPs in the US with a penalty of up to 5 years in prison if they didn't comply. They don't even need to give us a chance to take the offending post down. Sarge would then have to travel back from Italy to appeal in court to get the ISPs to allow the site to be accessed again and even if he won who knows if they would even take the chance at that point, probably not.
    Last edited by Seshmeister; 01-19-2012 at 10:04 PM.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    And remember this is just a trivial music fan site, imagine how corporations and government could use such dangerously powerful legislation.

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    The fascism card is overplayed here. But under this shit legislation written by record industry and hollywood buffoons whom don't understand the 'net, sites like Wikipedia can be fined for just linking sites like Piratebay--even if they're just connecting an expository article on PB...

This bill WILL stifle free expression and cede a good deal control of the net over to corporations and gov't enterprises...

Dumpwaffen SS
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I thought Duff McKagan was off the wagon already...or is it on the wagon, off the wagon?

http://blogs.seattleweekly.com/rever...opa_and_pi.php

Bad for business. Anti-piracy legislation could be bad for the Internet business. It almost takes my breath away. Internet piracy has claimed half of the recorded music business, and made the prospect of making a living as a musician harder for artists of all rank and file. Why didn't Google, or Facebook, or Wikipedia ever stand in solidarity with musicians, actors, and writers - most of whom have never known fame and fortune - as their works were stolen with no recourse on their sites?
    Stop whining Duff. What about MP3 or cd? It's against the physical vinyl record maker business...but good things keep their territory and a slice of the business.
    Originally posted by Cato
    Golden, why are you FAT?
    Originally posted by lesfunk
    Much like yourself as the Jim Morrison of Nazi bunker flies
    http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u...TheDMCross.jpg

Dumpwaffen SS
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Wow! Here's a nice chapter to read...and think about it.

http://maddox.xmission.com/

It needs to get worse before it gets better. We need a really shitty piece of legislation like SOPA in this country to be the spark that ignites the lazy, idle tinders of protest. It's not uncommon or even controversial to say that Washington is corrupt. It doesn't cause anyone to bat an eye when you say it in public, with Republicans, Democrats or "other." That's a problem. We need SOPA to wake the sleeping giant in this country. It could have been our generation's Rodney King verdict. Instead of blacking out our websites, what we need to do is dismantle the system that created this bullshit. Enough is enough.
    Interesting list, the company list they have there. Too bad I'm forced to use several products of that list today...VISA, Autodesk for example...

Builder of Sites
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Golden AWe View Post
    I thought Duff McKagan was off the wagon already...or is it on the wagon, off the wagon?

http://blogs.seattleweekly.com/rever...opa_and_pi.php

Stop whining Duff. What about MP3 or cd? It's against the physical vinyl record maker business...but good things keep their territory and a slice of the business.

Duff is still ON the wagon......

and a boring cunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Kristy View Post
    Dude, what in the fuck is wrong with you? I'm full of hate and I do drugs.
    Quote Originally Posted by cadaverdog View Post
    I posted under aliases and I jerk off with a sock. Anything else to add?

Dumpwaffen SS
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

Rice Cooker
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickdfresh View Post
    The fascism card is overplayed here. But under this shit legislation written by record industry and hollywood buffoons whom don't understand the 'net, sites like Wikipedia can be fined for just linking sites like Piratebay--even if they're just connecting an expository article on PB...

This bill WILL stifle free expression and cede a good deal control of the net over to corporations and gov't enterprises...
    i agree with you about SOPA, but Unchainme wasn't referring to SOPA. he was talking about an event that happened under existing law, which is what i was responding to.

Perpetually Befuddled
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    So much for that...for now.

SOPA stopped: Chief sponsor delays action indefinitely

YAHOO/DIGITAL TRENDS

Immediately following Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid’s (D-NV) decision to postpone a full vote on the “PROTECT IP Act” (PIPA), which was originally scheduled for Tuesday, Rep. Lamar Smith (R-TX), chief sponsor of the “Stop Online Piracy Act” (SOPA), has announced that he will delay further consideration of the contentious anti-piracy bill in the House “until there is wider agreement on a solution.” Earlier this week, Smith said that he would resume markup hearings on SOPA by the House Judiciary Committee, of which he is chairman, in February.

The interruption of both bills follows Wednesday’s mass online blackout held in protest of the companion anti-piracy bills.

“I have heard from the critics and I take seriously their concerns regarding proposed legislation to address the problem of online piracy,” said Smith in a statement. “It is clear that we need to revisit the approach on how best to address the problem of foreign thieves that steal and sell American inventions and products.”

This statement stands in stark contrast to Smith’s earlier remarks about the opposition to SOPA and PIPA, in which brushed off their warnings that the bills could put and end to the free and open Internet as we know it as illegitimate, and without merit.

“The problem of online piracy is too big to ignore,” Smith added. “American intellectual property industries provide 19 million high-paying jobs and account for more than 60 percent of U.S. exports. The theft of America’s intellectual property costs the U.S. economy more than $100 billion annually and results in the loss of thousands of American jobs. Congress cannot stand by and do nothing while American innovators and job creators are under attack.”

“The online theft of American intellectual property is no different than the theft of products from a store. It is illegal and the law should be enforced both in the store and online,” he said.

Prior to Wednesday’s blackout, which saw more than 75,000 websites “go black” in protest, SOPA and PIPA enjoyed the support of 80 members of Congress, while just 31 members stood in opposition to these bills. By Thursday, the balance of power shifted dramatically, with only 63 members in both houses of Congress in support of SOPA/PIPA, and 122 opposed, according to ProPublica.

While the delay of SOPA and PIPA is testament to the power of the opposition movement to sway Congress, it is also obvious that the fight is far from over. Both Sen. Reid and Rep. Smith have vowed to continue the fight against piracy, and could revive these bills — or others like them — at any time.

Fear the Elf
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Maher is right about the theft and the guests are right about the door being opened for government abuse. What the the politicians have demonstrated by their actions is they are for sale and they don't care about humanity in general. So give them more power and yes, they will abuse it. The corporations who buy the most politicians will use the new power to shut their competition down and then the politicians themselves will use the power to shut down media sources that are exposing their crimes and abuses.

Fear the Elf
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    A couple of notes:

-Bill, we're in the middle of a TERRIBLE recession. If I were in your shoes, allowing someone to enjoy my stupid documentary for free were to allow them to do at no cost to their food budget and keeping their house warm. I'd keep my damn mouth shut, and thank god I'm in a warm house with food and a roof over your head, rather than bitch about the money you could have made.

-Of course you'd be for SOPA. You have nothing to lose. You're freedom of speech will be guaranteed, You have the ability to purchase music, and other media at your own free will with little to no say so against your pocket. You also don't need the internet because you've for some odd reason, have made it on the world of standup to the point of having your own show on HBO, and have access to MILLIONS of viewers. Other comedians and entertainers are not so fortunate.

-Also, for someone as left leaning as you, you sure seem to back the establishment on quite a few things.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I would say a guy like Bill Maher has made more money off the internet than he has lost. The Grateful Dead was one of the richest rock bands in history. They also allowed their fans to make boot leg recordings, films, and photos. Their concerts were always a really free environment with people in the parking lot even selling unlicensed Grateful Dead merchandise. The band didn't care. It didn't seem to hurt their bottom line to the point to where they couldn't pay the overhead and were starving. People still bought the band's products. I think as long as you treat your fans good and have a good quality product, enough people will purchase what you have to sell that you can make a good living. The problem is people get too hung up on wanting to get every penny. That mentality is what killed the whole enjoyment of rock and roll. It's no fun anymore.

Dr. Lulz
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Don't get comfortable about SOPA being dead...

If they wind up losing using the line about software piracy and theft, they'll come back with a line about protecting children. Mark my words.
    I've got the cure you're thinkin' of.

http://i.imgur.com/jBw4fCu.gif

Rice Cooker
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Unchainme View Post
    A couple of notes:

If I were in your shoes, allowing someone to enjoy my stupid documentary for free were to allow them to do at no cost to their food budget and keeping their house warm.
    and if it were your documentary, there is nothing stopping you from doing that. the problem is that right now there is little to nothing that can be done to stop somebody from taking it for free if you didn't want them to do it. if it's your documentary, it should be your choice.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    The SOPA bill was the equivalent of trying to get rid of real life pirates by banning parrots and eye patches.

Thread Information