X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Full Bug
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    • Jan 2004

Rolling Stone Readers Select Ten Favorite Van Halen Songs

Considering these are readers of that crap rag Rolling Stone, I'm surprised there aren't more then 2 Van Hagar songs on the list....

The list is -
    10- Dreams
    9- Right Now
    8- Eruption
    7- Mean Street
    6- Runnin With The Devil
    5- Jump
    4- Aint Talkin Bout Love
    3- Hot For Teacher
    2- Panama
    1- Unchained

For additional laughs read this FARK comment thread about the article....
    Rolling Stone readers have picked the ten best Van Halen songs, and it's a pretty good li--WHERE THE F*CK IS LOVE WALKS IN? THAT IS THEIR BEST SONG
    Diamond Mafia Forever - 4. To restore fullbug to the prominent place in this board, after various serious attacks by hitch1969 have now damaged his reputation and now is reguarded as a "Retarded, Stoned, Canadian, Dog finger bangin' fuckup"
  • Matt White
    • Jun 2004

1-8 okay by me...........

9-10 terrible Soccer Mom anthems...there must be a few soccer Moms & their kids who read RS

Comment

• BITEYOASS
      ROTH ARMY ELITE
      • Jan 2004

HAHAHAHAHA!!! Even the general public knows that the Hagar-era is shit!

Comment

• Unchainme
        ROTH ARMY SUPREME
        • Apr 2005

Dreams is only good for the Blue Angels video. It's only really redeeming quality.

And agreed Unchained is a fucking masterpiece, and Panama's video is epic.
        Still waiting for a relevant Browns Team

Comment

• Hummarstra
          Commando
          • Feb 2004

Wait a second. We should be jumping up an down for Unchainded being #1. I mean, they got that shit right, didn't they? I'm surprised the readers of RS even put it on the list.

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
            ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
            • Dec 2003

I think Rolling Stone's got a lot of fucking balls to all of a sudden take some interest in VH when they've ignored them for nearly 40 years now....
            Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• chefcraig
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • Apr 2004

Originally posted by Va Beach VH Fan
              I think Rolling Stone's got a lot of fucking balls to all of a sudden take some interest in VH when they've ignored them for nearly 40 years now....
              No more hypocritical than when the rag finally got around to begrudgingly featuring Rush a couple of years ago after slamming, deriding or outright dismissing the band over their entire career. One little appearance on the Colbert show apparently was all it took.

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
              ― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• ZahZoo
                ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Over the decades... I've often wondered if I was out of touch or Rolling Stone was just covering all the elements of the music business no one I knew gave a shit about... turned out to be the later.

Since this is a fan generated list... clearly it's more in line with reality. Although I wonder if 9-10 were thrown in as consolation... I could name a dozen better CVH choices.
                "If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

Comment

• Nitro Express
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Aug 2004

Originally posted by BITEYOASS
                  HAHAHAHAHA!!! Even the general public knows that the Hagar-era is shit!
                  Mean Street vs. Right Now. I don't see some dude discovering When Love Comes Walking In 50 years from now being blown away by it but putting on Mean Streets and being totally blown away. Hagar turned Van Halen into a commercial pop, ballad band and Dave made Van Halen a timeless legend.
                  No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• Nitro Express
                    DIAMOND STATUS
                    • Aug 2004

Originally posted by chefcraig
                    No more hypocritical than when the rag finally got around to begrudgingly featuring Rush a couple of years ago after slamming, deriding or outright dismissing the band over their entire career. One little appearance on the Colbert show apparently was all it took.
                    Rush has always been shit on by the critics in the music press. The bottom line is do people go to the shows and do people buy the music? I've yet to see an empty Rush concert. Nobody buys a ticket to see a critic and I imagine the guys in Rush get paid more. So suck on that one for a while Rolling Stone.

Comment

• Unchainme
                      ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                      • Apr 2005

Originally posted by Nitro Express
                      Rush has always been shit on by the critics in the music press. The bottom line is do people go to the shows and do people buy the music? I've yet to see an empty Rush concert. Nobody buys a ticket to see a critic and I imagine the guys in Rush get paid more. So suck on that one for a while Rolling Stone.
                      Rush has outlasted a lot of groups out there, and they treat their fans great. They've made some timeless music, and have bands like Metallica, Smashing Pumpkins, Pantera, Primus, etc singing their praises. How they're not in the Rock N' Roll HOF is bullshit.

Edit: Always amazes me how focused they were on the music itself over all else. They didn't have that Aerosmith "spilled milk" moment because they were geeks! But damn, they're amazing.
                      Last edited by Unchainme; 11-25-2011, 01:20 PM.
                      Still waiting for a relevant Browns Team

Comment

• Full Bug
                        Crazy Ass Mofo
                        • Jan 2004

Here is what Rolling Stone said about VH when they came out-

"Mark my words: in three years, Van Halen is going to be fat and self-indulgent and disgusting, and they'll follow Deep Purple and Led Zeppelin right into the toilet. In the meantime, they are likely to be a big deal."
                        Diamond Mafia Forever - 4. To restore fullbug to the prominent place in this board, after various serious attacks by hitch1969 have now damaged his reputation and now is reguarded as a "Retarded, Stoned, Canadian, Dog finger bangin' fuckup"

Comment

• Vinnie Velvet
                          Full Member Status

• Feb 2004

Originally posted by Full Bug
                          Here is what Rolling Stone said about VH when they came out-

"Mark my words: in three years, Van Halen is going to be fat and self-indulgent and disgusting, and they'll follow Deep Purple and Led Zeppelin right into the toilet. In the meantime, they are likely to be a big deal."
                          LOL!

In three years, VH had four multi-platinum albums and consecutive sold-out tours.
                          =V V=
                          ole No.1 The finest
                          EAT US AND SMILE

Comment

• Nitro Express
                            DIAMOND STATUS
                            • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Unchainme
                            Rush has outlasted a lot of groups out there, and they treat their fans great. They've made some timeless music, and have bands like Metallica, Smashing Pumpkins, Pantera, Primus, etc singing their praises. How they're not in the Rock N' Roll HOF is bullshit.

Edit: Always amazes me how focused they were on the music itself over all else. They didn't have that Aerosmith "spilled milk" moment because they were geeks! But damn, they're amazing.
                            Name one other band that started in 1974 that has toured as hard and put out as much music as Rush. Probably the hardest working band on the planet. Plus, their music is complicated and hard to play. It's not like they are strumming four chords. YYZ and Tom Sawyer are killers to play even for the guys who wrote those songs.

Comment

• slimdon
                              Roadie
                              • Feb 2004

Originally posted by Full Bug

The list is -
                              10- Dreams
                              9- Right Now
                              8- Eruption
                              7- Mean Street
                              6- Runnin With The Devil
                              5- Jump
                              4- Aint Talkin Bout Love
                              3- Hot For Teacher
                              2- Panama
                              1- Unchained

Seeing 'Dreams' on that list makes me cringe. You'd figure that as we're on the edge of a new release with thee Diamond One back flying the ship, Rolling Stoned would have at least tried to keep the focus on 'Name Your Ten Favorite Orignal Van Halen Songs!' It doesn't surprise me in the least though, but come on... 'Dreams'? What a watered down piece of shite. That song and "When It's Love' are prime examples of how and why Sam Halen had absolutely no libido. "Hey Al, let's replace machismo with a wet napkin." Grrrrrrrr... aggrivating.

Just makes me more excited to hear the new album... songs that'll easily bump those two blemishes off of that list.

Comment

Working...