Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: cool Eddie interview from 1985 The Guitar Show

Roth Army Recruit

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

cool Eddie interview from 1985 The Guitar Show

Here's the link to it. Eddie is obviously fucked up judging by his sketchy behavior. Fidgety and off-color comments and all. He is ADD'd the fuck out kinda. Talking out of his ass. Plus his stupid pointless "black guy on the phone" comment. But hell God loves him too. Jeez!

Sheep Pen noob
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    he's off his tits .

∞ SHEEP PEN GYPSY
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Wow...and people wonder why Dave left???

THIS is the "greatest guitarist in the world"?

"Drunk & Stupid" is no way to go thru life, son..."

I'd have liked to have seen this back in 1985....would have totally made sense as to why DAVE split.........................

Who wants to deal with a drunken fool???

Foot Soldier

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Cmon Matty, how many Dave interviews are there where Dave is all fired up and acting like a buffoon? You think this was and?
    Dave pins the needle on the annoying meter in 2 seconds. Actually, most of his interviews are the same but he can make each a bit more grating tan the last, trying too hard causes this sorta thing. I think Dave saw he really wasn't the star of the show and couldn't handle being #2, became more of an asshole
    and got the boot. Formed the dlr band or just went by dlr, unchained ego finally did him in old Davey Lee Gifford. But you're right, only davey lee can have fun in an interview, like the drunk one at the US festival and his piis poor performance on stage that night. "more people got arrested here tonight than all weekend last year". Shut up and "sing"

Puts the ass in Class
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Where the wind comes sweeping down the plains
    Status
    I've never seen that one before. What a tool. Too many quotes to pull from in that interview to make fun of.
    This space for rent.

Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I'll watch the video later at home, but I can imagine...

Ed has NEVER come across well in interviews. He always seems very uncomfortable in any social situation. I think he is most comfortable in a room by himself diddling his guitar...

∞ SHEEP PEN GYPSY
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Heater View Post
    Cmon Matty, how many Dave interviews are there where Dave is all fired up and acting like a buffoon? You think this was and?
    Dave pins the needle on the annoying meter in 2 seconds. Actually, most of his interviews are the same but he can make each a bit more grating tan the last, trying too hard causes this sorta thing. I think Dave saw he really wasn't the star of the show and couldn't handle being #2, became more of an asshole
    and got the boot. Formed the dlr band or just went by dlr, unchained ego finally did him in old Davey Lee Gifford. But you're right, only davey lee can have fun in an interview, like the drunk one at the US festival and his piis poor performance on stage that night. "more people got arrested here tonight than all weekend last year". Shut up and "sing"
    Ahhh Bleater...back for more....

Lets see...so much nonsense, so little time.....

Dave can indeed be scatter-brained in interviews, no doubt about it....but it usually comes across as "funny: or as a response to a stupid question...NOT because he's a shit-faced alcoholic...........

And let's get this straight cretin....Dave is ALWAYS the star of the show...its the reason the sisters hated him all those years.....

Further more....Dave QUIT Van Halen....you know better than to believe the revisionist history........

The US FESTIVAL??? The musical outing that put VAN HALEN on the map Nationally?!? Seriously? You must have rocks in your head to think that was a "piss poor" performance......."FUCK THE CONCERT...LET'S GO ACROSS THE STREET AND HAVE A DRINK I SAY!!!" The national media was in an uproar over this "foul-mouthed" rocker....and even the people watching ENTERTAINMENT TONIGHT knew who the Mighty VAN HALEN was after that...........

stick to the Ronald McDonald singer kid....he's obviously more your speed...........

and yes...that's slower than "55 mph" slugger

your last loose end
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I remember reading an interview with Ed where he describes his meeting Clapton as a disaster because he (Ed) was shit-faced drunk at the time. You can see him pause and reflect regretfully here when he says that he met him.

He could've called Dennis a clueless asshole and that guy would've taken it. Ed put a little known guitar company on the map alright. Oddly enough, Ed chides Gibson, Charvel and Fender. Some 20 odd years later, he's working with Charvel and Fender. Kramer is now owned by Gibson.

"EVERYBODY UP!!!"™
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Ed is socially retarded. What a fucking embarrassment!
    Trolls take heed...LOG OUT & FUCK OFF!!!

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Diamondjimi View Post
    Ed is socially retarded. What a fucking embarrassment!
    To be honest, I think he always was. If you read those old Ed interviews he says he just has nothing to say and talks with his guitar. He also said he was glad they had David Lee Roth to deal with all the publicity stuff.

The thing is Ed always wanted to be the band leader. Now he is and look at what has happened with the band. Ed is no leader, he's a guitar player. It's the only thing he's ever been good at but he doesn't write songs and always needed someone else to put a song together.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Ed is an idiot. I can see why him and Val hooked up. She' an idiot too. An intelligent woman would have nothing to do with the guy unless of course she wanted to fleece him.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

They way he comes out and acts around Les Paul makes me cringe. What's with all the kissing Ed? Yikes!

your last loose end
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    His immediate response of "no" to the question, are there any other guitarists out there today that interest you is obnoxious, then he follows up with not even liking his own playing. He's definitely a strange bird. The bad parapalegic remark and black guy on the phone remark definitely smacks of some dumb white high school kid who hasn't retained anything he may have been taught about respect his whole life. Makes him look like a bigger ass that he's either 29 or 30 here.

He does, however, end the interview by displaying the glorious results of a mispent youth (apologies to Ralph Kramden). I love that piece he did on the '84 tour with the guitar flipped up.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by DLR Bridge View Post
    His immediate response of "no" to the question, are there any other guitarists out there today that interest you is obnoxious, then he follows up with not even liking his own playing. He's definitely a strange bird. The bad parapalegic remark and black guy on the phone remark definitely smacks of some dumb white high school kid who hasn't retained anything he may have been taught about respect his whole life. Makes him look like a bigger ass that he's either 29 or 30 here.

He does, however, end the interview by displaying the glorious results of a mispent youth (apologies to Ralph Kramden). I love that piece he did on the '84 tour with the guitar flipped up.
    What I see is a very insecure person and to be honest, he doesn't seem to think highly of his father. Insecure people get drunk to cope. I always maintained as good of musicians as Eddie and Alex were nobody would have given those guys the time of day without Roth promoting the band. Someone has to market the operation and do the PR. Dave did a wonderful job of wallpapering over the Ed he didn't want anyone to see.

your last loose end
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Agreed. I believe Dave tried to "wallpaper" over all of the hip surgery hulabaloo at the MTV press conference in '96, and caught hell for it. Doubt Dave ever actually said, "this night's about me, not your fucking hip". That was more like how Ed was misinterpreting Dave trying to keep Ed from sucking the air out of the press tent. Uhg. I really need to stop reliving this shit. Now I'm bringing my ass down thinking about it. Well, I just hope all is well NOW.

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    What a drunk cokehead racist!

After these interviews come out I'm even more amazed how Roth put up with Eddie Van Douche-Weirdo and his snooty sister for 10 years. Dave should get a medal for that shit.

"Ed Van Halen is a crummy human being without a guitar in his hands" --- DLR

Last edited by TJMKID; 12-09-2011 at 02:45 PM.

The true JBC
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    One of the reasons I'm always wary of meeting my hero's..........

You meet some of these guys and you end up hating them as human beings.
    Quote Originally Posted by vandeleur View Post
    E- Jesus . Playing both sides because he didnt understand the argument in the first place

Builder of Sites
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    That explains why you never visit me....

Quote Originally Posted by Kristy View Post
    Dude, what in the fuck is wrong with you? I'm full of hate and I do drugs.
    Quote Originally Posted by cadaverdog View Post
    I posted under aliases and I jerk off with a sock. Anything else to add?

The true JBC
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Yeah, that's it!

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by kwame k View Post

That's what always baffled me about the Hagarita Sheep --- they are quite fond of saying: "Dave's an egomaniac jerk ---- but Sammy is great because he's such a nice guy".

Who gives a fuck if he's nice? Does Sambo come over to babysit their kids? Does Pussy Nugget hang out every Sunday afternoon and watch football with them?

I couldn't give two shits and a squirt of piss if Dave is nice or not --- just make good music and deliver a kick-ass show and you earned my money and got my respect as an artist. Dave and Hagarita will never be our drinking buddies.

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

Wink Sometimes it's a good thing...

Fortunately, that hasn't really happened to me yet, and didn't happen the few times I dealt with Ed in the early '00s. He had a nutty professor vibe, but was always cool to me...

your last loose end
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by jhale667 View Post
    Fortunately, that hasn't really happened to me yet, and didn't happen the few times I dealt with Ed in the early '00s. He had a nutty professor vibe, but was always cool to me...
    Interesting! In what capacity were your dealings?

The true JBC
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Neil Peart has said something along the same lines......that he never even imagined meeting his hero's. Never had any interest.

The true JBC
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by jhale667 View Post
    They're just people like us.....the good, the bad and the ugly, I guess.

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Interesting! In what capacity were your dealings?
    Was the resident guitar-parts geek in his local music store for a couple of years (which eventually lead to a couple of better-paying tech gigs before I went "private sector", lol) ... like I said, he was always cool, and seemingly very enthusiastic when it came to letting you pick his brain about gear...

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    They're just people like us.....the good, the bad and the ugly, I guess.
    Exactly. And most I've encountered would rather be treated like regular people; it's the fawning, drooling fans that give them the willies...

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    it's the fawning, drooling fans that give them the willies...

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Agreed. I believe Dave tried to "wallpaper" over all of the hip surgery hulabaloo at the MTV press conference in '96, and caught hell for it. Doubt Dave ever actually said, "this night's about me, not your fucking hip". That was more like how Ed was misinterpreting Dave trying to keep Ed from sucking the air out of the press tent. Uhg. I really need to stop reliving this shit. Now I'm bringing my ass down thinking about it. Well, I just hope all is well NOW.
    Someone was clearly nuts and it wasn't David Lee Roth.

your last loose end
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Ed's "black guy on the phone" remark actually reminds me of a funny story if anyone's interested, it goes a lil' somethin' like this...

Way back in January of 1999, I was an Assistant Manager in Training with a retail picture framing chain. A couple of other AMTs and I had to visit our home office in Stamford CT with our overbearing, no-it-all GM. The whole car ride up, he had been "mentoring" us on how to respond to any of the big wigs questions. How we had nothing to be nervous about and how we should feel at ease discussing any issues we may have had with the company, good, bad or indifferent. He carried on about how he was going to let the call center at our supplies warehouse have it for their incompetence. Meanwhile, I'm thinking, fuck this. I ain't sayin' shit to rock the boat. I just got this job a month earlier, I forgot to shave and I already sweat through my unironed dress shirt. No need to call attention to my sorry ass. So we get there, and the conference room is just like any other high end conference room. My assigned seat was right along side my "I got this" GM. Right out of the gate, he opens up about this girl who didn't know what she was doing, who had left him on hold for ten minutes, and was rude and didn't sound very educated and bla bla bla. Meanwhile, the bigs are listening very intently and are writing all of this down when one of them asks what was the girls name. And his response was...

"I don't know, but I think she was black."

I think I heard a bead of sweat develop on his meaty forehead. Directly across the table was the only African American in the room. A sweet guy from a different store. There was no undoing that one, but in an effort to keep anyone from getting more uncomfortable, an exec asked me how long I'd been involved in framing. I think I gave a wrong answer. I will never forget that and how fucking hard we busted on him on the ride back.

Do I think that makes him and for that matter, Ed Van Halen, racists? Nope. Just ignorant. Racism is deep seeded and far worse. If what they said is racism, then all of the comedians on your Russell Simmons Def Jam Comedy Hour shows and the like that repeatedly open bits with, "white people always do this... White people always do that" are racist. I don't think they are, either. Some shit ya gotta just take with a grain o' salt.

"EVERYBODY UP!!!"™
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Matlangston View Post

In a nutshell.....

Puts the ass in Class
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Where the wind comes sweeping down the plains
    Status
    I remember reading an interview with Ed where he describes his meeting Clapton as a disaster because he (Ed) was shit-faced drunk at the time. You can see him pause and reflect regretfully here when he says that he met him.

He could've called Dennis a clueless asshole and that guy would've taken it. Ed put a little known guitar company on the map alright. Oddly enough, Ed chides Gibson, Charvel and Fender. Some 20 odd years later, he's working with Charvel and Fender. Kramer is now owned by Gibson.

AND he's already thinking about marketing shoes too!!!

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Ed's "black guy on the phone" remark actually reminds me of a funny story if anyone's interested, it goes a lil' somethin' like this...

Way back in January of 1999, I was an Assistant Manager in Training with a retail picture framing chain. A couple of other AMTs and I had to visit our home office in Stamford CT with our overbearing, no-it-all GM. The whole car ride up, he had been "mentoring" us on how to respond to any of the big wigs questions. How we had nothing to be nervous about and how we should feel at ease discussing any issues we may have had with the company, good, bad or indifferent. He carried on about how he was going to let the call center at our supplies warehouse have it for their incompetence. Meanwhile, I'm thinking, fuck this. I ain't sayin' shit to rock the boat. I just got this job a month earlier, I forgot to shave and I already sweat through my unironed dress shirt. No need to call attention to my sorry ass. So we get there, and the conference room is just like any other high end conference room. My assigned seat was right along side my "I got this" GM. Right out of the gate, he opens up about this girl who didn't know what she was doing, who had left him on hold for ten minutes, and was rude and didn't sound very educated and bla bla bla. Meanwhile, the bigs are listening very intently and are writing all of this down when one of them asks what was the girls name. And his response was...

"I don't know, but I think she was black."

I think I heard a bead of sweat develop on his meaty forehead. Directly across the table was the only African American in the room. A sweet guy from a different store. There was no undoing that one, but in an effort to keep anyone from getting more uncomfortable, an exec asked me how long I'd been involved in framing. I think I gave a wrong answer. I will never forget that and how fucking hard we busted on him on the ride back.

Do I think that makes him and for that matter, Ed Van Halen, racists? Nope. Just ignorant. Racism is deep seeded and far worse. If what they said is racism, then all of the comedians on your Russell Simmons Def Jam Comedy Hour shows and the like that repeatedly open bits with, "white people always do this... White people always do that" are racist. I don't think they are, either. Some shit ya gotta just take with a grain o' salt.
    Honestly we take the racism thing way too far. Basically Ed was alluding to he didn't make the kind of music black guys would be into and so one calling up wasn't for him. Must be the wrong number. Stop bothering me you asshole. LOL! We aren't making funk or disco here.

It just was different in those days. You have to remember a black guy had no chance in hell of getting elected as president in the mid 80's and whites and blacks in general did their own things. There was white music and then there was black music. It didn't integrate until all the white fuck kids started imitating black rappers when the 80's were going out. Now you just have music. Then you started having more all black rock and roll bands that were good. Living Color and such. Somewhere it just all blended and nobody cared.

The Frosty One...
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

Yucca Man
    Roadie
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Oakland Coliseum 7000 Coliseum Way Oakland, California Section 130 Seats 13-14 Wear Black. Bring Beer.
    Status
    hamboner stuns the crowd with another tired re-tread! keep 'em comin, Seacrest!
    Helping RothTards speak in the 3rd person since 2004!

The Frosty One...
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Starwood View Post
    hamboner stuns the crowd with another tired re-tread! keep 'em comin, Seacrest!
    Well, I could've made up some story about how I have inside the inside scoop on the new Van Halen album 'cause I'm fucking Ed's maid, but I always found things like that to be classless and vile. I'm sure you know what I mean.....

Secondly, that interview wasn't posted as a world premiere. It was posted as a demonstration on how to speak proper English and conduct yourself in an interview. How Ed was in the same band with Dave all those years and not acquire at least a few people skills is beyond comprehension. You may want to pass that on to his maid.....

I find it humorous and amusing that you would act brave enough to start some shit. It's gotta be the alcohol.
    You ever see a wolf fuck a chihuahua? I haven't either, but I'm positive it would end up in quite a mess.

You better hurry up and climb back under the table, Sparky. Van Halen fans everywhere are counting on you to provide them with your next piece of "inside information".

Fuckin' idiot
    Last edited by hambon4lif; 12-10-2011 at 10:54 AM.

"EVERYBODY UP!!!"™
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Starwood ....... Dragging his ass across the Roth Army carpet since Jan. 2004...

a.k.a. Flappo The Grate
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Diamondjimi View Post
    Starwood ....... Dragging his ass across the Roth Army carpet since Jan. 2004...

The pile is Starwood, right?

"EVERYBODY UP!!!"™
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Those are his post's. He, is what's being dragged across the floor...

Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Snausages!

Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Sorry but Eddie just comes off as a dumb guy who shit a golden egg and believed all the smoke people blew up his ass. I don't care what any of the sheep say. Van Halen would never have reached it's level of success without Roth

Thread Information