X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dr. Love
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    • Jan 2004

WILLIAMS: End Fed’s power; give it to free market
    By Armstrong Williams Sunday, March 11, 2012 Armstrong Williams (Courtesy of armstrongwilliams.com)

Ron Paul wants to abolish the Federal Reserve. He may be right: It is hard to see how the Fed has enhanced our economy.

Since 1971, when President Nixon ended the gold standard, the dollar’s value has been more volatile than in any previous period, not only in immediate, day-to-day volatility, but also over the long run. People often marvel that a loaf of bread used to cost a dime, but they never ask why so much inflation has occurred over these past few decades.

There are several reasons, but the biggest is undoubtedly the Fed. By devaluing the dollar, like China is doing to the yuan, the Fed and its technocrats try to encourage our exports. But as we know, the market will not permit distortions, and will punish them: This is bad policy.

Quantitative easing, author Louis Lehrman says, is just “a euphemism for money printing or credit creation.” These excess dollars go abroad as reserves, and are then invested in U.S. securities to finance the deficit. So, we receive back what we give out: We buy without paying. If economic growth were this easy, why stop printing money?

The Fed creates demand for goods and assets without increasing supply. This is a recipe for crippling inflation; it is an insult to hard-working Americans who want to pass down their wealth to their children and not see it turn to worthless paper.

Thus has the Fed has not only fed our consumer culture by financing the national debt, and discouraging savings by weakening the dollar, but it has also masked the problem of vanishing American exports, making the situation look better than it really is. How ironic that this veneer of health is actually helping foreign imports!

One of the many causes of the Great Recession, from which we are now still struggling to escape, is the seemingly endless Federal Reserve subsidies (that’s what they are) to the world banking system.

Not only did the Fed help cause the recession, but it has slowed the recovery. By keeping interest rates low, they have hurt savers and pension funds, when our nation needs above all more savings. Who wants to save a thousand dollars annually only to receive 25 basis points or $25 a year from their bank?

There is a certain irony that the financial recession was caused by overextended lending in the real-estate sector and the Fed’s solution is to reduce interest rates in that sector of the market. Does the Fed, truly, want to encourage Americans to borrow more money to invest in real estate? Our money supply has about tripled. Is this not an inflation nightmare waiting to happen?

Ron Paul of Texas deserves credit (if you pardon the pun) for raising the question of monetary policy among the general electorate. We must examine the wisdom of its independence from congressional oversight. A more moderate view, one we should all be able to agree on, is that the Federal Reserve must be subject to a public audit of its activities. Surely no one on either side of the aisle thinks it wise to put so much power in the hands of so few without any check or balance.

Steve Forbes, investing and business genius, says that it is almost inevitable that the United States return to the gold standard, which would completely take away the power of the Fed to manipulate the market and manipulate our lives. Another irony is that it is our friends on the left who fear this change and wish to preserve the status quo, afraid of the consequences of restoring convertibility to gold simply because we haven’t done it before.

By taking away the power of the Fed and giving it to the free market, we will all benefit. The market, not even the brightest and best-connected of our technocrats, knows best how to allocate resources.

Mr. Paul is 76, and if John McCain was too old to be president, then so is he. But he has already accomplished a tremendous legacy of energizing young people about liberty, and awakening us all to the quiet power of unelected men and women who tinker with our lives. He will be a symbol for years to come.

that's crazy talk! we can't trust free markets!
    I've got the cure you're thinkin' of.

http://i.imgur.com/jBw4fCu.gif

Comment

• LoungeMachine
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Jul 2004

Originally posted by Dr. Love
      maybe I should lecture you on either your memory or your ability to understand what people are saying then

Maybe you should turn your lectures towards your failed candidate......

Lecturing me gets you no where....but he obviously could use your help finding a winning strategy that might get noticed.

Because as of now, he's the Sammy Hagar of GOP politics...

Everyone knows he's there, everyone knows he's spouting his mouth off, but he's not getting enough people to care enough to get him out of Chickenfoot.

Ron Paul is in the Chickenfoot of the GOP

Don't be in Chickenfoot.
      Originally posted by Kristy
      Dude, what in the fuck is wrong with you? I'm full of hate and I do drugs.
      Originally posted by cadaverdog
      I posted under aliases and I jerk off with a sock. Anything else to add?

Comment

• Nickdfresh
        SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Originally posted by LoungeMachine
        Number of Delegates needed for the GOP Nomination = 1,144

Number of Delegates secured by Ron Paul = 33

Almost there!!!!!

Thank you Lounge, for making me spit beer up on my puter screen in a moment of need....

:bottle:
        Last edited by Nickdfresh; 03-12-2012, 04:39 AM.

Comment

• Nickdfresh
          SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

more proof that Ron Paul is racist (for jhale):

Caption this pic....

"These Negroes are so friendly and a true credit to their race!"

Comment

• BigBadBrian
            TOASTMASTER GENERAL
            • Jan 2004

I believe FREE HEALTHCARE is a moral obligation due every citizen of this country.
            There is no such thing as FREE HEALTHCARE.
            “If bullshit was currency, Joe Biden would be a billionaire.” - George W. Bush

Comment

• Dr. Love
              ROTH ARMY SUPREME
              • Jan 2004

Maybe you should turn your lectures towards your failed candidate......

Lecturing me gets you no where....but he obviously could use your help finding a winning strategy that might get noticed.

Because as of now, he's the Sammy Hagar of GOP politics...

Everyone knows he's there, everyone knows he's spouting his mouth off, but he's not getting enough people to care enough to get him out of Chickenfoot.

Ron Paul is in the Chickenfoot of the GOP

Don't be in Chickenfoot.
              That's all you've got left in you?

That's the most retarded thing I've read in months.

And I've read most of Nick's responses in this thread.

Comment

• Dr. Love
                ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Nickdfresh
                Caption this pic....

"These Negroes are so friendly and a true credit to their race!"
                Tell us how you really feel...

And people call ELVIS the racist.

Comment

• Dr. Love
                  ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                  • Jan 2004

Originally posted by BigBadBrian
                  It's free if the government gives it to you, Brian.

GOD IT'S LIKE YOU DON'T EVEN UNDERSTAND HOW THE ECONOMY WORKS!!!

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                    SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Tell us how you really feel...

And people call ELVIS the racist.
                    Irony (from the Ancient Greek εἰρωνεία eirōneía, meaning dissimulation or feigned ignorance)[1] is a rhetorical device, literary technique, or situation in which there is a sharp incongruity or discordance that goes beyond the simple and evident intention of words or actions. There is presently no accepted method for textually indicating irony, though an irony (punctuation) mark has been proposed.

Ironic statements (verbal irony) are statements that imply a meaning in opposition to their literal meaning.
                    My, someone had piss in their Cornflakes™ this morning...

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                      SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Originally posted by BigBadBrian
                      You mean like your VA insurance?

Comment

• Dr. Love
                        ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                        • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Nickdfresh
                        My, someone had piss in their Cornflakes™ this morning...
                        Stupidity is a quality or state of being stupid, or an act or idea that exhibits properties of being stupid. The root word stupid, which can serve as an adjective or noun, comes from the Latin verb stupere, for being numb or astonished, and is related to stupor: in Roman culture, "the stupidus of the mimes" was a sort of "professional buffoon - the 'fall-man', the eternal he-who-gets-kicked."
                        Don't worry, you still have a lock on Roth Army's Bitterest Old Man™

Though Lounge is really trying to give you a run for your money.
                        Last edited by Dr. Love; 03-12-2012, 09:30 AM.

Comment

• jhale667
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • Aug 2004

more proof that Ron Paul is racist (for jhale):

Yeah, you win - the staged photo op convinces me!
                          Originally posted by conmee
                          If anyone even thinks about deleting the Muff Thread they are banned.... no questions asked.

That is all.

Icon.
                          Originally posted by GO-SPURS-GO
                          I've seen prominent hypocrite liberal on this site Jhale667

Originally posted by Isaac R.
                          Then it's really true??:eek:

The Muff Thread is really just GONE ???

OMFG...who in their right mind...???
                          Originally posted by eddie78
                          I was wrong about you, brother. You're good.

Comment

• Dr. Love
                            ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                            • Jan 2004

Originally posted by jhale667
                            Yeah, you win - the staged photo op convinces me!
                            Yeah. He staged a photo op that long ago just in case.

Surely you aren't that dense.

Comment

• jhale667
                              DIAMOND STATUS
                              • Aug 2004

Surely you aren't that dense.
                              Said the guy whose head the joke just sailed over... relax.
                              Originally posted by conmee
                              If anyone even thinks about deleting the Muff Thread they are banned.... no questions asked.

That is all.

Icon.
                              Originally posted by GO-SPURS-GO
                              I've seen prominent hypocrite liberal on this site Jhale667

Originally posted by Isaac R.
                              Then it's really true??:eek:

The Muff Thread is really just GONE ???

OMFG...who in their right mind...???
                              Originally posted by eddie78
                              I was wrong about you, brother. You're good.

Comment

• Dr. Love
                                ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                                • Jan 2004

Originally posted by jhale667
                                Said the guy whose head the joke just sailed over... relax.
                                Sorry. I couldn't tell. Help me out in the future - I can only tell its a joke if its actually funny.

Comment

Working...