Page 31 of 51 FirstFirst ... 1718192021222324252627282930313233343536373839404142434445 ... LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,240 of 2034

Thread: ron paul=awesome/kickass?

Banned
    REPENT AND SINS NO MO!

Member No
    Last Online
    11-04-2021 @ 07:27 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,233 Times in 2,449 Posts

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitro Express View Post
    Santorum just continues to make himself look stupid by saying stuff that isn't true.
    If he makes it up as he goes along, it must be true...
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Banned
    REPENT AND SINS NO MO!

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickdfresh View Post
    Sheer fantasy. Most actual economists without an irrational ideological bent will tell you a return to the Gold Standard is not only silly as there isn't enough gold in the world to actually do it, it would throw the economy into chaos...
    The economy is in chaos...world wide...

The true JBC
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    11-14-2018 @ 03:27 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,298 Times in 1,690 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nickdfresh View Post
    Sheer fantasy. Most actual economists without an irrational ideological bent will tell you a return to the Gold Standard is not only silly as there isn't enough gold in the world to actually do it, it would throw the economy into chaos...
    Which was the point I made about 20 pages ago

It does illustrate the need to back up your outrageous claims with an actual plan of execution........in the purest sense, a Gold Standard would be better but it's a fairy tale and a feel good talking point in the modern economy that has zero chance of ever being implemented.

It's common sense.....like you pointed out Nick and my point. We don't have enough Gold to back the money in circulation now.....so how what do you do with the difference?

Throw those trillions of dollars away?

Yeah, that'll help
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Dr. Lulz
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-02-2020 @ 09:51 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,443 Times in 997 Posts

you guys crack me up ...

RP does have a plan. It's available and detailed on how to accomplish it. There are also multiple videos of him explaining it as well.

I think all you're saying, kwame, is that we have this huge problem of inflation because there's too many dollars being printed. So what's the solution? Print more money and just hope no one notices? Or take action to correct the problem?

Allow gold/silver to compete with the dollar, with retailers able to set prices in each denomination. With a constrained supply of gold/silver, the metal becomes more valuable -- and prices adjust to reflect that traded value. Slowly you phase out use of the dollar as it becomes priced out of the market. It's a reflection of the reality of the situation. When you can just invent money out of thin air, it has no value.

Look at that chart again and think about it. If speculators are to blame for the wild fluctuations in the price per barrel of oil in dollars, why has the price in ounces of gold remained pretty consistent? Could it be that the supply of gold has remained fairly fixed, and therefore the value is steady, whereas supply of dollars has been increasing drastically, and therefore the value is degrading?

The price of oil affects so many things. Think about how much money you have to spend to fill up your car, to buy groceries and other goods. Is a loaf of bread more valuable than it used to be? Or does it simply cost more now? Why would it cost more if it doesn't have any additional intrinsic value, especially if manufacturing processes increase efficiency?

I know it's an oversimplification and that there are a lot more components to the equation. But at the heart of things, it's fairly straightforward: The more dollars that exist, the less value they all hold, and the purchasing power of each is decreased

There's no such thing as "not enough", as prices will adjust to match supply.

Banned
    REPENT AND SINS NO MO!

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Plus, gold is being mined at a greater rate than at any time in history...

But they won't tell you that...

Open 8am-5pm M-F
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    01-08-2015 @ 01:06 PM
    Status
    Thanks

I hate to tell you all this but Ron Paul doesn't have a snow balls chance in hell of getting the nomination.

Banned
    REPENT AND SINS NO MO!

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    I predict he will switch to run as independant...

He can beat both Oblama and Romoney...

The Frosty One...
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    06-25-2015 @ 02:24 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,558 Times in 850 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jagermeister View Post
    I hate to tell you all this but Ron Paul doesn't have a snow balls chance in hell of getting the nomination.
    Well, Sanitorium is telling everyone NOT to go to school otherwise they'll end up like Obama.

Ron Paul may never get a pass from the bluebloods, but I've never heard the man say anything that fucking stupid....

I'm about 100% convinced at this point that the 'Pukes are throwing this election.

9. Thanked hambon4lif for this KICKASS post:

LoungeMachine (02-27-2012)

Open 8am-5pm M-F
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hambon4lif View Post
    Well, Sanitorium is telling everyone NOT to go to school otherwise they'll end up like Obama.

Ron Paul may never get a pass from the bluebloods, but I've never heard the man say anything that fucking stupid....

I'm about 100% convinced at this point that the 'Pukes are throwing this election.
    Troubled times indeed. Certainly a cause for great concern.

11. Thanked Jagermeister for this KICKASS post:

Unchainme (02-27-2012)

Builder of Sites
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    02-08-2016 @ 02:28 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,705 Times in 2,513 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ELVIS View Post
    I predict he will switch to run as independant...

He can beat both Oblama and Romoney...
    It's funny how you always seem to come around to my way of thinking eventually....

Better late than never.

Open 8am-5pm M-F
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

The true JBC
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Love View Post
    you guys crack me up ...

RP does have a plan. It's available and detailed on how to accomplish it. There are also multiple videos of him explaining it as well.

I think all you're saying, kwame, is that we have this huge problem of inflation because there's too many dollars being printed. So what's the solution? Print more money and just hope no one notices? Or take action to correct the problem?
    I've never said just print more money....what I said 20 pages ago was that if you just switched over to a Gold Standard you'd ruin the World economy. I said it would have to be phased in over a decade or so.

Allow gold/silver to compete with the dollar, with retailers able to set prices in each denomination. With a constrained supply of gold/silver, the metal becomes more valuable -- and prices adjust to reflect that traded value. Slowly you phase out use of the dollar as it becomes priced out of the market. It's a reflection of the reality of the situation. When you can just invent money out of thin air, it has no value.
    WTF, Doc. How could that even be possible? The collapse of the Dollar would be severe and swift. Other countries would demand that oil stop being traded in dollars......the trillions of dollars in bonds that the Chinese and other countries have, they would demand payment immediately. Total economic collapse.

Look at that chart again and think about it. If speculators are to blame for the wild fluctuations in the price per barrel of oil in dollars, why has the price in ounces of gold remained pretty consistent? Could it be that the supply of gold has remained fairly fixed, and therefore the value is steady, whereas supply of dollars has been increasing drastically, and therefore the value is degrading?
    You're comparing apples to oranges....oil IS traded in dollars and NOT gold, period. Your chart is useless based on that fact. Gold has always been and will always be more stable by it's very nature and I have never said we shouldn't go back to a Gold Standard it's just how we do it is the massive problem.

The price of oil affects so many things. Think about how much money you have to spend to fill up your car, to buy groceries and other goods. Is a loaf of bread more valuable than it used to be? Or does it simply cost more now? Why would it cost more if it doesn't have any additional intrinsic value, especially if manufacturing processes increase efficiency?
    I understand that 90% of all consumer goods are trucked to the point of purchase....I've started several threads here over the years on that very subject. Here again, oil speculators are the cause of the problem. Having better rail systems would go a long way in helping get goods to market and the cost to move a ton of product verse the amount of fuel is way in favor of rail than trucking.

I know it's an oversimplification and that there are a lot more components to the equation. But at the heart of things, it's fairly straightforward: The more dollars that exist, the less value they all hold, and the purchasing power of each is decreased

There's no such thing as "not enough", as prices will adjust to match supply.
    It's a fairy tale, bro......at least right now it is.

I'd love to see a Gold type Standard but it can't happen over night. It'd take a decade at least and the biggest problem is WE DON'T HAVE ENOUGH GOLD IN THE RESERVE TO BACK THE DOLLARS THAT WE HAVE OUT THERE

The last President who actually seen our gold reserves was Ronald Reagan and IIRC, the room that houses our gold reserves is something like 20 x 60!

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 02:53 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,991 Times in 3,230 Posts

Blog Entries
    http://www.ronpaulactionfigures.com/
    The action figures are now available.

The Ron Paul Chiahead should be out shortly.

It takes a while for the Franklin Mint to get the commemorative plates and coins out.

I guess you become a wanking doll after you win the presidency.
    Last edited by Nitro Express; 02-27-2012 at 06:53 PM.

Rice Cooker
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-07-2024 @ 03:10 PM
    Status
    Thanks

um... what?

If we got paid in gold/silver coins, we could still invest it. It would be money, just like dollars are today. The difference would be ... the federal reserve couldn't just invent more of it out of thin air.
    the incentive to invest with dollars that ultimately decpreciate is far greater than it would be if you felt that the buying power of your curreny would always stay the same.

nonetheless, tying a currency to the value of a completly arbitrary element, the demand for which, outside of its value as currency peg, may increase (as is the case with the use of gold for electronics) is no more economically sound than relying on notes officially pegged to nothing.

17. Thanked knuckleboner for this KICKASS post:

kwame k (02-27-2012)

Rice Cooker
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LoungeMachine View Post
    It's funny how you always seem to come around to my way of thinking eventually....

Better late than never.
    no chance. ron paul knows that under no circumstances could he win a general election. none. zero. absolutely impossible.

he won't run as an indepenent (and still lose, but guarantee an obama victory), because he wants rand to be able to run at some point. if ron runs on a 3rd party and obama wins, republicans will blame him and torpedo any chance rand had. if, instead, ron puts up a semi-credible primary showing, but lose (which he will, guaranteed), if obama wins in 2012, the argument will go that if only they'd listened to the dr. paul brand, this would've been avoided. so to avoid clinton-biden 2016, go with rand.

Banned
    REPENT AND SINS NO MO!

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by knuckleboner View Post
    the incentive to invest with dollars that ultimately decpreciate is far greater than it would be if you felt that the buying power of your curreny would always stay the same.
    That is complete opinionated theory and I think it's totally incorrect...

Dr. Lulz
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kwame k View Post
    I've never said just print more money....what I said 20 pages ago was that if you just switched over to a Gold Standard you'd ruin the World economy. I said it would have to be phased in over a decade or so.
    Great idea! That's what Ron Paul suggests, too.

WTF, Doc. How could that even be possible? The collapse of the Dollar would be severe and swift. Other countries would demand that oil stop being traded in dollars......the trillions of dollars in bonds that the Chinese and other countries have, they would demand payment immediately. Total economic collapse.

You're comparing apples to oranges....oil IS traded in dollars and NOT gold, period. Your chart is useless based on that fact. Gold has always been and will always be more stable by it's very nature and I have never said we shouldn't go back to a Gold Standard it's just how we do it is the massive problem.

Guess we'll find out.

I understand that 90% of all consumer goods are trucked to the point of purchase....I've started several threads here over the years on that very subject. Here again, oil speculators are the cause of the problem. Having better rail systems would go a long way in helping get goods to market and the cost to move a ton of product verse the amount of fuel is way in favor of rail than trucking.
    In the short term, but the longer term problem is the devaluation of our currency. See here: http://www.forbes.com/sites/charlesk...the-dollar-33/

The Federal Reserve's Explicit Goal: Devalue The Dollar 33%

The Federal Reserve Open Market Committee (FOMC) has made it official: After its latest two day meeting, it announced its goal to devalue the dollar by 33% over the next 20 years. The debauch of the dollar will be even greater if the Fed exceeds its goal of a 2 percent per year increase in the price level.

An increase in the price level of 2% in any one year is barely noticeable. Under a gold standard, such an increase was uncommon, but not unknown. The difference is that when the dollar was as good as gold, the years of modest inflation would be followed, in time, by declining prices. As a consequence, over longer periods of time, the price level was unchanged. A dollar 20 years hence was still worth a dollar.

It's a fairy tale, bro......at least right now it is.

I'd love to see a Gold type Standard but it can't happen over night. It'd take a decade at least and the biggest problem is WE DON'T HAVE ENOUGH GOLD IN THE RESERVE TO BACK THE DOLLARS THAT WE HAVE OUT THERE

The last President who actually seen our gold reserves was Ronald Reagan and IIRC, the room that houses our gold reserves is something like 20 x 60!
    It wouldn't, as in the video I posted above. Also, why do you think we have more dollars than we have gold for? What do you think that does to the value of the dollar? What do you think happens every time the Fed magically creates more money?

Why on earth would you want to let that continue?

Dr. Lulz
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

nonetheless, tying a currency to the value of a completly arbitrary element, the demand for which, outside of its value as currency peg, may increase (as is the case with the use of gold for electronics) is no more economically sound than relying on notes officially pegged to nothing.
    You do realize people invested with gold-based currencies for a very, very long time, right?

You can't suddenly create gold out of thin air. You're also talking about a system that has worked and been accepted world wide for thousands of years.
    Last edited by Dr. Love; 02-27-2012 at 09:42 PM.

Dr. Lulz
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Dr. Lulz
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Dr. Lulz
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Poll: Ron Paul Strongest Against Obama In Head To Head Matchup

Also named most truthful GOP candidate in separate study

GOP presidential candidate Ron Paul is leading the incumbent president in a hypothetical matchup, according to a newly released poll from respected pollster Rasmussen.

Paul scores 43% over 41% for Obama in the poll, with 10% saying they would vote for some other option, a figure that includes 17% of Republicans.

Paul also picks up 15% of the vote from self-identified liberals, according to Rasmussen.

Mitt Romney is the only other candidate to lead Obama in the poll, scoring 45% to Obama’s 43%. Paul polls the strongest, however, given that he drives the president’s numbers down further than Romney.
    A hypothetical Paul nomination also drives the undecided voters up significantly.

Senator Rick Santorum trails the president nationally by two percentage points, 45% to 43%. Former House Speaker Newt Gingrich trails even further behind when pitted against Obama, with a ten point deficit, 49% to 39%.

Paul has regularly emerged as the strongest contender in other polls when matched head to head with Obama. This is the first time, however, that he has done so in a Rasmussen poll.

The poll shows a significant drop in approval ratings for Obama, who has seen a recent bounce in the polls throughout the first two months of the year.
    Forty-two percent (42%) now Strongly Disapprove of the way that Obama is performing as president. His overall approval rating is down six points since mid February, according to Rasmussen.
    In a separate study by The Houston Chronicle, Ron Paul was named the most truthful of the GOP contenders.

Ron Paul “had 58 percent accuracy from 33 statements that were evaluated on their honesty and truth.” The Chronicle’s ‘Texas on the Potomac’ blog explained. “Paul’s true and mostly true categories were the most plentiful, tied with seven statements in each.” the report continued.

The Chronicle used fact checking site PolitiFact to analyze statements from each of the candidates and assign accuracy values.

Ron Paul was also found to have had the lowest percentage of ‘half truths’, according to the study, with 18 percent. Newt Gingrich was found to be the most untruthful candidate, with just 42 accuracy points.
    http://www.prisonplanet.com/poll-ron...d-matchup.html

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 02:53 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,991 Times in 3,230 Posts

Blog Entries
    no chance. ron paul knows that under no circumstances could he win a general election. none. zero. absolutely impossible.

he won't run as an indepenent (and still lose, but guarantee an obama victory), because he wants rand to be able to run at some point. if ron runs on a 3rd party and obama wins, republicans will blame him and torpedo any chance rand had. if, instead, ron puts up a semi-credible primary showing, but lose (which he will, guaranteed), if obama wins in 2012, the argument will go that if only they'd listened to the dr. paul brand, this would've been avoided. so to avoid clinton-biden 2016, go with rand.
    It's getting weird. All the republican assholes on the radio were claiming that Ron Paul was going to drop out and be Romney's running mate. Rand Paul was being interviewed and said that wasn't even discussed ever. I just think these unprofessional idiots in the media embellish the shit out of stuff just to have something to blab about. It all started with Santorum saying Paul and Mitt were having a love fest and then the dumb ass political commentators blew it all out of fucking proportion.

Dr. Lulz
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Why Does the Military Love Ron Paul?

Servicemembers are giving way more cash to the anti-war GOP candidate than any other—but not for the reason you might think.

—By Adam Weinstein | Fri Feb. 24, 2012 3:00 AM PST

Conventional wisdom on politics in the military can feel almost as age-old as the Constitution itself: Conservative Republicans are strong on defense, and the military skews conservative and Republican. Foreign wars? Bring 'em on! Unwavering ally of Israel? You betcha. More dollars for defense? If not, you must be with the terrorists.

The 2012 presidential race tells a different story: The lion's share of political contributions by servicemembers and defense industry workers is going to anti-war, "soft on Israel," also-ran candidate Ron Paul. In fact, the battle for their dollars isn't even close: Paul has raised at least $282,868 from individual active-duty servicemembers and Pentagon employees—more than four times what the other three Republican presidential candidates have raised, combined. (President Obama has fared slightly better, drawing $123,644 from that group, but still less than half of Paul's total. For more, jump to the charts below with the numbers by candidate and branch of the armed services.)

"Clearly there's something about Paul that appeals to some members of the military," says Viveca Novak of the Center for Responsive Politics, which provided Mother Jones with the most recent tally of military contributions. "Whether it's that he speaks his mind, wants to end foreign engagements, has a libertarian's view of the world—we can't say."

One easy explanation has been that Americans in the service have grown tired of a decade of war and identify with Paul's anti-interventionist rhetoric. But if the military men and women with whom I spoke this week are any indication, it's hardly that simple.

Paul's anti-war stance is certainly part of the draw. Last weekend, the group Veterans for Ron Paul 2012 organized an anti-war President's Day march on the White House. That organization's leadership includes notable Iraq Veterans Against the War member Adam Kokesh, who unsuccessfully ran for Congress as a libertarian Republican candidate in 2010, and Jake Diliberto, a former Marine who's previously worked on Rethink Afghanistan, an anti-war project funded by the left-leaning Brave New Foundation. "I have always been a conservative, and I recognize that I am the kind of conservative that doesn't exist anymore," Diliberto told me. As for what unites servicemembers behind Paul, he said, "It is fair to say, we all do not like the current trajectory of US foreign policy, and we are cynical about US national security policy." He added that he's personally concerned about Obama's "targeted killing campaign" against alleged terrorists.

"Ron Paul is not opposed to the defense of this country," says one active-duty soldier. "He's not opposed to fighting wars that are declared."

One of the speakers at last weekend's rally was retired Air Force Lt. Colonel Karen Kwiatkowski, a former Pentagon analyst and key figure in revealing how the Bush administration sold the Iraq war based on bogus intelligence. "I'm 95% in harmony with Ron Paul's candidacy and his philosophy," Kwiatkowski—who's running for Congress in Virginia as a Republican—told me in an email. "I hold the DoD as a federal bureaucracy in a bit more contempt than he does because I spent way more time in it, and I saw close up the actual conscientious, direct political lying to promote war, invasions and occupations—none of which were sanctioned or even reviewed in accordance with the Constitution."

But Paul's supporters say the candidate's "anti-militarism" shouldn't be confused with being anti-defense. "He's not opposed to the defense of this country. He's not opposed to fighting wars that are declared," a 27-year-old active-duty enlisted soldier in the Army said. (He spoke on condition of anonymity; after a uniformed soldier spoke out at a Paul rally in Iowa, the military warned soldiers about politicking publicly.)

There's a certain irony in supporting a small-government candidate while working for the largest federal bureaucracy. The politics of it are, well, complicated. "I do wrestle with this conflict of being a Paul supporter while also being a government employee," the active-duty soldier said. "Ultimately, in my support for Paul, I care more for the restoration of the ideals this country was founded upon than my current well-being." At the same time, he added that the military saved him from student debt, while many of his friends are struggling to make it "as baristas and waiters" in the civilian world. "I didn't join the Army to be some hero that defends the Constitution," he said.

Soldiers tend to see Paul as understanding the pressures they face better than the other candidates because he's the only one in the group who served in uniform, as a flight surgeon in the Air Force and Air National Guard during the Vietnam era. The libertarian's service gives him "street cred," Kwiatkowski noted. "We often in the military have no idea what the foreign policy or the military policy is. All we know is we get told to do things, and often these things are costly, dangerous, and unproductive, and create more insecurity for us and for the country."

Meanwhile, Paul's support from defense contractor employees—who donated more than $177,000 to him in 2011—has outpaced that of his competitors, according to Defense News. (Obama leads in that category overall, having pulled in about $348,000.) That may seem downright counterintuitive: Why would workers for companies that profit from war back an anti-pork candidate (self-proclaimed, anyway) who opposes, as Kwiatkowski puts it, "fraud, waste, abuse, warmongering, idiotic leadership, political correctness, and a host of other things"? It's a matter of ideology, military analyst Loren Thompson explained to Defense News. "There's a strong libertarian streak among many in the sector," he said. "Just because people work in the defense industry doesn't mean that they always vote their economic interests." (Interestingly, in the 2008 election cycle, Obama and Paul were for a time beating out that other vet in the presidential race, John McCain, for military contributions.)

Campaign contributions aren't necessarily a great indicator of a candidate's chances. The figures can't predict how, or how many service members will actually vote, and even if all of them did, they'd represent a tiny fraction of the US electorate. And these donation figures are a drop in the bucket when it comes to overall campaign spending: Even excluding super-PAC money, Obama's reelection campaign pulled down $29.1 million in January alone; Paul got $4.5 million in that time, according to filings with the Federal Election Commission.

Still, military voting jumped 21 percent in the 2010 election cycle, according to federal statistics, and it rose fastest—33 percent—among 18- to 24-year-olds, a demographic that heavily favors Paul (and Obama) over traditional conservatives. In an era in which presidential elections turn on a few battleground states, which can turn on a few thousand votes, the military's love affair with Ron Paul could play a role in determining the eventual GOP nominee.

"We veterans know about the mistakes that previous presidents have made, and we don't want to repeat them," Diliberto said of young vets who are loyal to Paul. "We need to change what we do."

http://motherjones.com//politics/201...-paul-military

Builder of Sites
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Dear Dr. Love.......

Really?

Sincerely,

All of us.

28. Thanked LoungeMachine for this KICKASS post:

kwame k (02-27-2012)

Rock God
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-03-2024 @ 04:13 AM
    A Small Dive in a trashy neighborhood somewhere on Fornax 9
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,616 Times in 1,647 Posts

I prefer Ron Paul out of all the Republican candidates, because he does not appear to be interested in shrieking that the "sky is falling", or that Satan is taking over, or that Jebus is coming back.......900-foot-tall or otherwise....

He states his case, his arguments and methods for solving the problems of life in today's fucked up world appear (for the most part) to be sound....though like any candidate, I do not agree with everything he is in favor of....

But out of all the Republicans, to me he has more common sense than all the Republican presidential candidates from the past 50 years combined.

30. Thanked Hardrock69 for this KICKASS post:

Dr. Love (02-27-2012)

Builder of Sites
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hardrock69 View Post
    I prefer Ron Paul out of all the STD'S out there.....

I'll fuck her as long as she doesn't have Ron Paul

Dr. Lulz
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

4k people at a rally in Michigan

Builder of Sites
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Out of 9.8 Million people....

Like, wow.

Dr. Lulz
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Dr. Lulz
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

The true JBC
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

In our defense....there were no good concerts tonight

Rice Cooker
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

You do realize people invested with gold-based currencies for a very, very long time, right?

You can't suddenly create gold out of thin air. You're also talking about a system that has worked and been accepted world wide for thousands of years.
    not for 40 years. and in the intervening decades, our consumption of gold for non-monetary use has increased quite a bit.

when ron paul talks about the need to return to the gold standard he's saying that he doesn't like inflation. many of his followers proclaim that returning to a gold standard will be a hedge against inflation. will all investment cease? no. but if enough people view the gold-based dollars as a way to avoid inflation, many of them are going to think of it as a safe currency that will appreciate in value on its own, and many therefore will decide against separate investments.

still, that's an aside. i think the real reasons the gold standard is foolish is because a) as kwame said, the implementation will be damn near disastrous. and b) the very fact that you CAN'T print more gold out of thin air is problematic. growth in the money supply is a very good thing if one has a growing population and one wants a growing economy. really hard to have increasing GDP when more people are chasing the same amount of dollars.

38. Thanked knuckleboner for this KICKASS post:

kwame k (02-28-2012)

The true JBC
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

A big fear is how a consumer based economy is going to thrive on a Gold Standard.......we fucked ourselves with NAFTA and it's only now that manufacturing jobs are coming back and we're not even close to where we need to be in that regards. So, in the short term, it'll never work!

To me the whole thing is an isolationist view and naive in a World based economy.

We need an answer for what we're doing but a Gold Standard, right now, is not it

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:43 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,347 Times in 6,031 Posts

Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    07-15-2020 @ 07:57 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Seshmeister View Post
    HAHA...lol...that would make the second gay president....

Dr. Lulz
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

not for 40 years. and in the intervening decades, our consumption of gold for non-monetary use has increased quite a bit.

when ron paul talks about the need to return to the gold standard he's saying that he doesn't like inflation. many of his followers proclaim that returning to a gold standard will be a hedge against inflation. will all investment cease? no. but if enough people view the gold-based dollars as a way to avoid inflation, many of them are going to think of it as a safe currency that will appreciate in value on its own, and many therefore will decide against separate investments.

still, that's an aside. i think the real reasons the gold standard is foolish is because a) as kwame said, the implementation will be damn near disastrous. and b) the very fact that you CAN'T print more gold out of thin air is problematic. growth in the money supply is a very good thing if one has a growing population and one wants a growing economy. really hard to have increasing GDP when more people are chasing the same amount of dollars.
    40 years huh... that sure is a long time!

The rest of it is a lot of conjecture.

But I'm interested. What would you/kwame suggest as an alternative strategy to dealing with the issues? Or do you believe they aren't problems?

Dr. Lulz
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kwame k View Post
    A big fear is how a consumer based economy is going to thrive on a Gold Standard.......we fucked ourselves with NAFTA and it's only now that manufacturing jobs are coming back and we're not even close to where we need to be in that regards. So, in the short term, it'll never work!

To me the whole thing is an isolationist view and naive in a World based economy.

We need an answer for what we're doing but a Gold Standard, right now, is not it
    I recommend you vote with your head and not with your heart ... don't be afraid of change. But as I said, if you think it's the wrong idea, what do you or your preferred candidate propose as an alternate solution?

Dr. Lulz
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LoungeMachine View Post
    Out of 9.8 Million people....

Like, wow.
    If only we could figure out how to distill Lounge's posts into a liquid of some kind.

We could control the world's supply of bitter.

45. Thanked Dr. Love for this KICKASS post:

LoungeMachine (02-28-2012)

The true JBC
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I recommend you vote with your head and not with your heart ... don't be afraid of change. But as I said, if you think it's the wrong idea, what do you or your preferred candidate propose as an alternate solution?
    Simple.....don't spend more than the GDP.

Kinda like everyone's household budget....you have x amount of money meaning you can only spend x amount of money after the bills are paid!

Dr. Lulz
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Do you mean GDP or tax revenues (income)?

Also, which candidates actually put forward plans that accomplish that goal?

Thread Information