Where's your curiosity level at anymore?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lou

Where's your curiosity level at anymore?

I admit, I was curious when "It's About Time" was released. The link to the mp3 (ewww) was right in front of me, I downloaded it, listened to it once, and that's all it really took for me not to want to listen to anything else from the new Van Hagar.

And since then I have not heard the other two released songs, I didn't go hunting to hear anything from the couple of shows, "It's About Time" has been it. I have no desire to hear the other two songs and even if the link were right in front of me again for new Van Hagar I would not download it. My curiosity, which was really only a product of the 6 year layoff and nothing else, has been killed.

So what's your deal, are you continuing to download shit? Or did you stop with "It's About Time" like me? Or have you not listened to a single note of any of this?
  • Rikk
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Jan 2004

Re: Where's your curiosity level at anymore?

Originally posted by Lou
    I admit, I was curious when "It's About Time" was released. The link to the mp3 (ewww) was right in front of me, I downloaded it, listened to it once, and that's all it really took for me not to want to listen to anything else from the new Van Hagar.

And since then I have not heard the other two released songs, I didn't go hunting to hear anything from the couple of shows, "It's About Time" has been it. I have no desire to hear the other two songs and even if the link were right in front of me again for new Van Hagar I would not download it. My curiosity, which was really only a product of the 6 year layoff and nothing else, has been killed.

So what's your deal, are you continuing to download shit? Or did you stop with "It's About Time" like me? Or have you not listened to a single note of any of this?
    Hi Lou.

I gotta admit that I was intrigued to hear IT'S ABOUT TIME because there is still material on the other VH albums that I've enjoyed and I am at least fascinated by Ed's playing and writing skills. IT'S ABOUT TIME has actually worsened for me with each listen...basically, I've never liked almost any VH I've heard the first time, apart from maybe JUMP at age 9 and maybe ME WISE MAGIC at age 21. But I expected IT'S ABOUT TIME to grow on me maybe because HUMANS BEING did. But I like it even less now, which is a rarity for me with Van Halen. I have heard UP FOR BREAKFAST twice and LEARNING TO SEE (honestly, is that what it's called?) once. And I don't like either of them. On early impressions, I'd say UP FOR BREAKFAST is the worst one and IT'S ABOUT TIME is probably in the middle. But I could be wrong. The only other track I've heard from this new incarnation is the live UNCHAINED that MAX posted earlier (my ears are still recovering, Max ), and that was one of the worst performances I've ever heard the band do...with any line-up.

So, no. My excitement is at a zero level. Much like after I actually saw the III tour, I'm basically biting my nails and waiting for the band to break up again so I can wait endlessly for Dave to come back again.
    Roth Army Militia

Originally posted by WARF
    Rikk - The new school of the Roth Army... this dude leads the pack... three words... The Sheep Pen... this dude opened alot of doors for people during this new era... he's the best of the new school.

Comment

• Fabulous Shadow

Hey Lou!
      I'm still curious. Hoping that the boys prove me wrong and put on a kick ass show! I ;istened to my favorite Van Hagar songs the other day and I'm just hoping that they don'y go and blow my love for that era. At lwast with Roth all my memories are PURE!

Comment

• RogueHorseman
        Commando
        • Apr 2004

Lou, like you I downloaded "Time" and one listen was all it took.

Have not bothered with the other two at all.

However, like Rikk I could not resist giving the live Unchained rendition from opening night a listen. Absolutely HORRID. I played it for a self-confessed Eddie mark/Hagar apologist tonight and even he called it "rotten".

My interest is next to nill for the band in its current form, outside of just how badly this tour will/is drawing and to see how fast it blows up.

I do think THE day will come... A clean, kickin' Eddie with Dave out front all ablazing, one more time.
        <object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/K7_U-zj2gfE"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/K7_U-zj2gfE" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Comment

• guwapo_rocker

Originally posted by RogueHorseman

I do think THE day will come... A clean, kickin' Eddie with Dave out front all ablazing, one more time.
          I agree 100% that it would be amazing to see!
          The problem is "a clean Eddie."
          I don't think Dave will do it unless Eddie gets himself
          together.
          Losing his wife didn't show him the light.
          Cancer didn't wake him up.
          Will this dismal tour? We shall see.

As long as Sammy is there saying, we're doing fine,
          we're rocking the world, Ed there were 14,000 people there,
          don't believe the press or GS.
          Eddie is doomed, and so are any thoughts of a REAL
          reunion.
          Guwapo out.

Comment

• lms2

I downloaded the first song wanting to be amazed, and the intro got me alittle excited. Then Spam started singing, and I did not finish listening to the song long enough to hear the guitar solo. I did not listen to it again until after I had heard the other two songs, which I did not listen to them until they had been out for a few days. After I heard the other two, I wanted to listen to Its about time again, in its entirety.

The thing is, I don't think i am ready to listen to these songs. I have so many mixed emotions about wanting them to fail (they will never reunite with Roth and I am glad!) and excel (this shit kicks ass and Dave will be at the helm in no time) that I am not really hearing the music at all. Trying to be obejective...I say I don't like the three new tunes, but that I see potential for future music with Dave to save the lyrics, and once Eddie gets his confidence back. And as long as I don't listen to those songs again, I can maintain this mindset.

Comment

• Panamark
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • Jan 2004

I downloaded all three, I wanted to hear if in fact Ed has been locked away playing for the last six years, or if he is a washed up drunken has been.

These songs are not the worst shit Ive ever heard, but on a Van Halen level. Yeah, they suck. I thought Learn to See (is that what its called ?) was the best of the three. Ed seemed to play a little bit better on that one. But way short of his former greatness. You dont get those same chills listening to it like the classics. Spammy's lyrics and screeching are never going to help a song either.

My intersest level now ? In the whole Saga ? Pretty huge, Im enjoying the crash and burn immensely. If they never ring Dave again, we have still won the war. Because without him, they failed..
              BABY PANA 2 IS Coming !! All across the land, let the love and beer flow !
              Love ya Mary Frances!

Comment

• guwapo_rocker

Originally posted by Panamark

My intersest level now ? In the whole Saga ? Pretty huge, Im enjoying the crash and burn immensely. If they never ring Dave again, we have still won the war. Because without him, they failed..
                Cheers Bro!! Have a Crown on me!

Comment

• lms2

Excellent point Panamark. That pretty much sums it up right there. I think the interset in these songs is higher without Dave than with Dave cause people like to complain more than praise. Plus, if Dave had reunited with Van Halen right away, the interest would be there, but the level of personal involvement for a lot of new fans and sheep wouldn't be. Now, with all this conflict going on...New and old alike are getting involved and "on the edge of their seat". Whats gonna happen? Whats up with the press. Look at all the people checing out ticket sales and running to the links to read the reviews.

Comment

• Panamark
                    DIAMOND STATUS
                    • Jan 2004

In about two hours, I will take you up on that ! Thankyou very kindly, have one yourself (if you can buy them there ?)
                    Love ya Mary Frances!

Comment

• guwapo_rocker

In about two hours, I will take you up on that ! Thankyou very kindly, have one yourself (if you can buy them there ?)
                      I will see this weekend, we have a very good selection
                      of imports here. We are Canadian, and we love our beer!
                      Cheers!

Comment

• Panamark
                        DIAMOND STATUS
                        • Jan 2004

Originally posted by guwapo_rocker
                        Cheers Bro!! Have a Crown on me!

Love ya Mary Frances!

Comment

• Panamark
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • Jan 2004

Geeez, I fooked all that up... heheheh GR, Ive heard you guys have great beer !!
                          Love ya Mary Frances!

Comment

• guwapo_rocker

Geeez, I fooked all that up... heheheh GR, Ive heard you guys have great beer !!
                            Yep it's good stuff, real beer, the yanks are blown away
                            when we go down there and drink 15 cans of their watered down
                            lager and still walk a straight line to the pisser!

Comment

• Panamark
                              DIAMOND STATUS
                              • Jan 2004

Actually Im going to sit on the fence on this one, Ive only tried Budweiser and no Canadian beers. Bud was perfectly drinkable. But Ive got some Aussie friends who travelled to Canada (and we love our beer !) and they told me first hand you guys have great beer...
                              Love ya Mary Frances!

Comment

Working...