X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Unchainme
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    • Apr 2005

Originally posted by TJMKID
    Dave wrote a song about banging a hot stripper and comparing it to driving a really fast car ("Panama")

Sammy wrote a song about the joys of his wife's dusty old pussy ("Poundcake")

It's pretty easy to see which version of Van Halen inspired people ---- and which version did not.
    Dave wrote it after some reporter claimed that all Van Halen wrote about were women, drinking and fast cars. He then realized that he hadn't written a song about a car..and then..the rest is history!

Dave's the man.
    Still waiting for a relevant Browns Team

Comment

• VHscraps
      Veteran
      • Jul 2009

Originally posted by Headly1984
      I cannot find the stats now - but seem to recall a higher total for the ,ugh, Sam version of VH
      It's a long-standing topic of interest on here, and many have done the sums.

Only in an alternate reality did Van Hagar shift more units than Van Halen.
      THINK LIKE THE WAVES

Comment

• FORD
        ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Van Halen 1 sold over 10 million copies
        1984 sold over 10 million copies

Van Hagar's best seller was 5150, which sold 6 million. Every Van Hagar album after that sold LESS than the one before. Don't have the exact numbers in front of me, but I think it was like 4 million for Othisblowsgoats2, 3 million for FUCK, and 2 million for Balance. And their horrible live album barely cracked gold, from my memory.
        Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
          ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
          • Dec 2003

He responded back...

EddieTrunk @Roth_Army nobody is perfect, God knows me included! I have heard much debate over that stat so if I'm wrong I stand corrected. will explore
          Wed, Jan 04 19:06:07 from Twitter for iPhone in reply to Roth_Army

Then I gave him the link to the RIAA Searchable Database.... Boom !!
          Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• Zing!
            Veteran
            • Oct 2011

You forgot to put the quotes around "live." Right Here, Right Now was about as live as Madonna's vocals will be for the Super Bowl. But back to the Trunk tweets - what I can't, for the life of me, figure out is - why does anyone care at all what that fool thinks in the first place? Is it because he has his own TV show? His opinion certainly can't hold much sway with rock critics, can it? I've never watched his show, but I know BS when I smell it...
            My karma just ran over your dogma.

Comment

• TJMKID
              Veteran
              • Mar 2004

Originally posted by FORD

Van Hagar's best seller was 5150, which sold 6 million. Every Van Hagar album after that sold LESS than the one before. Don't have the exact numbers in front of me, but I think it was like 4 million for Othisblowsgoats2, 3 million for FUCK, and 2 million for Balance. And their horrible live album barely cracked gold, from my memory.

I've often slammed the Hagarita sheep at VHND by also adding that Van Hagar's total units are half of Roth-era DESPITE massive promotion by MTV and Top 40 radio --- which CVH never enjoyed until "1984".

Van Hagar got a king's ransom in publicity on radio & MTV during the late 80's and early 90's and their shit still declined in sales. How can anyone be inspired by that ??

Comment

• Rikk
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Va Beach VH Fan
                He responded back...

EddieTrunk @Roth_Army nobody is perfect, God knows me included! I have heard much debate over that stat so if I'm wrong I stand corrected. will explore

Nice work. Seriously.

I don't hate Trunk. I think he has a big mouth and can be a moron sometimes, but I do love his T.V. show (obviously not every episode) and listen to him sometimes. Maybe your work here will cause him to shut up in future when comparing the legacies...or at least get it straight...because he's saying a lot of things to misguide people.
                Roth Army Militia

Originally posted by WARF
                Rikk - The new school of the Roth Army... this dude leads the pack... three words... The Sheep Pen... this dude opened alot of doors for people during this new era... he's the best of the new school.

Comment

• TJMKID
                  Veteran
                  • Mar 2004

He responded back...

Trunk may already be a hopeless Hagarita sheep ----- he won't let facts get in the way of a good delusion!

Comment

• TJMKID
                    Veteran
                    • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Rikk
                    I don't hate Trunk. I think he has a big mouth and can be a moron sometimes, but I do love his T.V. show (obviously not every episode) and listen to him sometimes. Maybe your work here will cause him to shut up in future when comparing the legacies...or at least get it straight...because he's saying a lot of things to misguide people.

I dont hate Trunk, either ---- truth be told, I'm damn jealous he gets to make a living talking to rock stars.

But at some point, professional duty & ethics takes precedence over being chummy with these guys ---- start calling out their bullshit. That's the only way you get respect in the biz.

I hope Trunk gets VH on his show and starts grilling Eddie over why he fired Mike Anthony and erased his image from the album covers, and why so many failed reunion attempts with Dave. Make him sweat --- and he earns our respect !!

Comment

• VHscraps
                      Veteran
                      • Jul 2009

Originally posted by FORD

Van Halen also outsold Van Hagar in non-US territories. The figures that are always quoted are based on RIAA (i.e., US) certifications.

As keeper of the scraps, I have a Warner's ad from late '84 that appeared in Billboard, congratulating the boys on selling 8 million copies of 1984 worldwide - and this was, like, figures up to probably November of '84. So, that album in particular, sold a lot more than 10m worldwide if it was hitting 8m by Nov '84.

Just looking at RIAA reveals that in the US, 1984 was certified a 5m seller by January 1985. That means if we accept the figures in the Warners advert I mentioned, then 1984 had sold at least 3m outside the US in the year of 1984 alone. Logic might then dictate that it has actually sold around 13m copies (at least) worldwide, to date.

So, these RIAA-based 'total sales' figures are conservative, especially for Van Halen (as opposed to Van Hagar), because they had more gold and platinum certifications in non-US territories (if you believe Wikipedia - Germany, US, Canada, etc).

I know from memory - or last checking - that VHII sold 5m in the US, and Diver Down 4m. WACF was double-platinum, again in the US, and FW platinum.
                      THINK LIKE THE WAVES

Comment

• Seshmeister
                        ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

I used to think maybe the argument was based on sales of Van Halen albums during the Van Hagar period.

I think 1984 and VH1 continued to sell well into the 1990s and the 10x platinum status for both was awarded in the late 1990s.

Three points against that argument.

1) I still don't think even including those sales as Hagar sales which they clearly weren't, he would have outsold CVH.
                        2) Van Hagar played the absolute minimum of Dave era songs live, hardly promoting them and as far as I've seen played them half assed.
                        3) CDs - during this whole mid 1980s onwards period we all went out and bought our Van Halen albums again to get CD versions. That was even less to do with Hagar.

Why does any of this matter never mind what Trunk says?

It doesn't really but it's just irritating because you see it so often. All you need to do is make some shit up and next thing because journalists are lazy it ends up in the first paragraph of every interview and it just ends up bugging you.

If in 1986 Eddie Van Halen had decided to claim his original name was Berty Twiddle and he was born in Alaska and that was stated as fact at the start of every article you read even though it matters fuck all, it would be hard not to find yourself saying this 'Berty Twiddle thing is fucking annoying.'

Comment

• gbranton
                          Veteran
                          • Aug 2005

He responded back...

That's all I ask.

I like Eddie Trunk just fine myself. Does he schooze some of his guests a little too much? Yeah but some of those assholes wouldn't do the show unless you feed their egos I'm sure. I'm also sure that there are subjects which are off limits with many guests as well. You have to remember that rock stars are much more prone to be petulant, vaginal asswipes than the general population (part of it is fan induced). I'm just happy there IS a show about hard rock and metal to begin with. That in and of itself is a small victory.
                          "Don't want 'em to get you goat, don't show 'em where it's hid." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• Matt White
                            • Jun 2004

Best part?

Trunk is gonna HAVE to eat his words if this VH release has any legs....it'll outsell ANY of the Spammy era.....

Having DAVID LEE ROTH fronting the von Halen bros right right in front of your face would cause any Ghey van haggis fan to go straight.............

Trunk is gonna see the light.....

remember that PIECE OF SHIT video they shot for DREAMS in a club way back in the day? PLaying it off like it was CLASSIC VAN HALENish???

Tomorrow will BURY THAT SHIT for once and for all!!!

Comment

• Seshmeister
                              ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Nothing like a bit of crazy optimism.

Well maybe 3/5...

Comment

• TJMKID
                                Veteran
                                • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Matt White
                                Remember that PIECE OF SHIT video they shot for DREAMS in a club way back in the day? PLaying it off like it was CLASSIC VAN HALENish???

Tomorrow will BURY THAT SHIT for once and for all!!!

I always hated that 1993 video because it desperately tried to fool people into thinking Sammy was there at the beginning:

Here's what Hagarita was actually up to in 1978:

Comment

Working...