Official 1/5 NYC Cafe Wha? Review Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NICE
    Another one of those classic genius posts, sure to generate responses. You log on the next day to see what your witty gem has produced to find no one gets it and 2 knotheads want to stick their dicks in it... Well played, sir!!

Comment

Fuck yeah......
      Fuck Scott Weiland. Fucking asshole. I get trashed all the time and still go to work. And my job sucks ass. -ODShowtime

Comment

Killer vid! Thanks GreenEyedMurder! You lucky lady, you!!!!
        You're gonna hear the angels sing...

Comment

USA Today review...

Reunited Van Halen really gets the crowd going
          By Elysa Gardner, USA TODAY Updated 9m ago

NEW YORK – An arena it wasn't. On Thursday night, music industry insiders and press crowded into the tiny, storied Greenwich Village club Cafe Wha? to watch a reunited Van Halen rock the joint. Frontman David Lee Roth explained that the venue had sentimental value, as his Uncle Manny had owned it.

"This is a temple," Roth said of the club where his uncle had once played host to a young singer/songwriter "named Bobby Zimmerman" (later known as Bob Dylan). "I'm more nervous about this gig than I would ever be at (Madison Square Garden)."

Roth didn't seem it, and neither did the musicians with whom he will tour this year: his former nemeses Eddie and Alex Van Halen— respectively on guitar and drums, for anyone who slept through the '80s — and Eddie's bassist son Wolfgang.

That lineup will kick off a North American tour Feb. 18, following the release of a new album, A Different Kind of Truth, on Feb. 7. The group introduced a new song from that collection, She's the Woman, a chugging, unabashedly carnal rocker with a classically wailing guitar solo.

The focus was on old favorites, though. Starting with their cover of The Kinks' You Really Got Me, the band launched into a string of fondly remembered hits, including Running With the Devil, Everybody Wants Some, Somebody Get Me a Doctor, Panama and Hot for Teacher.

"Welcome to Occupy Van Halen, ladies and gentlemen," bellowed Roth, who looked fit and boyish in a jaunty cap and slightly baggy overalls. Diamond Dave was as energetic, cheeky and verbose a showman as ever, at one point launching into a lengthy monologue about his work as an emergency medical technician in recent years. "Hold on one more second there, kiddo," Roth quipped when Wolfgang let loose a bass riff toward the end.

The youngest Van Halen proved a deft, muscular player, helping his Uncle Alex sustain a robust foundation for dad Eddie's fluid, frantic virtuosity. Despite the close, rather hot quarters, the audience remained rapt till the final number, Jump!, which Roth jokingly called their "fake encore." (The musicians had entered through the crowd, and there wasn't enough space for them to exit and re-emerge.)
          Manny Roth, now 92, was in the house (which he sold in 1988), as his nephew proudly acknowledged. So were tennis champ and sometime musician John McEnroe and his rock-singer wife, Patty Smyth. Chatting before the show, McEnroe described himself as "a longtime fan and friend" of the group. "They're one of my favorite bands of all time, and you can quote me on that," he said.
          "Ditto," said Smyth.
          Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

Green Eyed Murder...thanks from Dave and I.
            Can't Control your Future. Can't Control your Friends. The women start to hike their skirts up. I didn't have a clue. That is when I kinda learned how to smile a lot. One Two Three Fouir fun ter thehr fuur.

Comment

BRILLIANT!!!
              If you listen to fools
              The Mob Rules

Comment

Holy Crap! Awesome video GEM! Cannot wait for your review!
                Diamond Mafia Forever - 4. To restore fullbug to the prominent place in this board, after various serious attacks by hitch1969 have now damaged his reputation and now is reguarded as a "Retarded, Stoned, Canadian, Dog finger bangin' fuckup"

Comment

Originally posted by GreenEyedMurder View Post
                  It seems to be the same. I'll have to fire up iTunes (while I write my articles) and listen, but I think it is.
                  I am in the process of sending a video of almost the entire song to Va, but it's taking forever to upload it into the email (I'm also sending a bunch of pics, which are also taking a long time to upload). In the meantime, I made a *private* link on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4pJ8ZVxZus Please don't post this elsewhere or pass it around too much. Thanks!

Also, a bit of trivia: In the promo video for the tour (the one which shows the band in a new video, but plays clips of "1984" hits), the woman with the camera is Dana, their official photographer. I stood right next to her (directly in front of the stage) the entire time. Incredibly sweet, fun, great sense of humor. I met someone else who works for/with them, and I have to say that they surround themselves with awesome people.
                  Great job !!
                  Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

And just one more to remember how we all stuck with it:

Last edited by SunisinuS; 01-06-2012, 12:43 AM. Reason: Rose.
                    Can't Control your Future. Can't Control your Friends. The women start to hike their skirts up. I didn't have a clue. That is when I kinda learned how to smile a lot. One Two Three Fouir fun ter thehr fuur.

Comment

Wow, that video is killer. That song cooks, and based on that clip, Wolfie is really playing some serious bass.
                      Awesome.

Comment

Originally posted by GreenEyedMurder View Post
                        It seems to be the same. I'll have to fire up iTunes (while I write my articles) and listen, but I think it is.
                        I am in the process of sending a video of almost the entire song to Va, but it's taking forever to upload it into the email (I'm also sending a bunch of pics, which are also taking a long time to upload). In the meantime, I made a *private* link on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4pJ8ZVxZus Please don't post this elsewhere or pass it around too much. Thanks!

Also, a bit of trivia: In the promo video for the tour (the one which shows the band in a new video, but plays clips of "1984" hits), the woman with the camera is Dana, their official photographer. I stood right next to her (directly in front of the stage) the entire time. Incredibly sweet, fun, great sense of humor. I met someone else who works for/with them, and I have to say that they surround themselves with awesome people.
                        I can't take the smile off my face! Thank you so freaking much for the vid! Amazing! Only some of the ending licks have changed on that tune. Man that is bad ass! Loud as hell! Wolfgang plays great! Definitely knows where the 1 and the kick land. Ed sounds great. Dave was buried a bit but sounded solid. Al is almost always 100%. AWESOME! Thank you!

Comment

Aww man... the end of that vid is great.....

Ed sounds damn good.
                          Fuck Scott Weiland. Fucking asshole. I get trashed all the time and still go to work. And my job sucks ass. -ODShowtime

Comment

Wolfie's really thumping that bass with authority! Great improvement because I don't think he played a note on the last tour.

Comment

...wow...

it's...like..the whole hagar era never existed...

fucking amazing.

THANKS GEM!!!!
                              Still waiting for a relevant Browns Team

Comment

dam been playin bass for many years , and holy shit wolf sounds fuckin killer .

Comment

Working...
                                X