Warning: Undefined array key "birthday" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/notice.php on line 1 Official 1/5 NYC Cafe Wha? Review Thread - The Diamond David Lee Roth Army

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Official 1/5 NYC Cafe Wha? Review Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arena Rock, Well Preserved and Condensed

By JON PARELES
    Published: January 6, 2012

As press briefings go, it rocked. On Thursday night, Van Halen took to the stage of the venerable Cafe Wha? on MacDougal Street in Greenwich Village, capacity 250. “Last time I stood on a stage this low, we had to have the car back by midnight,” said the singer David Lee Roth. The objective was to prove Van Halen is alive and amicable for an arena tour that starts Feb. 18 in Louisville, Ky.,after the Feb. 7 release of a new album, “A Different Kind of Truth.” It’s to be Van Halen’s first full album with Mr. Roth as lead singer since the band fired him in 1985, although they have done previous reunion tours.

There was no formal announcement at Cafe Wha?, just a blast of Eddie Van Halen’s guitar, a rumble from Alex Van Halen’s drums, and a motormouthed Mr. Roth declaring, “It’s like climbing into a rocket in here, and it’s a rocket that comes from way, way back in our past all the way into what the future’s going to look like according to — Welcome to Occupy Van Halen.” .That introduced an hourlong set from a grinning band, reclaiming its oldies and introducing a new song announced by Mr. Roth as “She’s the Woman.”

Nearly all the audience was “the world’s press, the world’s media,” Mr. Roth said, along with record-company staff. Jimmy Fallon and Kirk Douglas, the Roots’ lead guitarist, were also spotted in the narrow, packed basement club.

From the Rolling Stones to Kanye West, a big act in a small room has proved a surefire attention-getter. Leaking the location so that fans cluster outside is part of the plan.

But there was another reason for choosing Cafe Wha? instead of a club or theater that could have accommodated more fans. In the club’s 1960s heyday, when Bob Dylan and Jimi Hendrix performed there, Cafe Wha? was owned by Manny Roth, David Lee’s uncle, who sold it in 1988. Now 92, Manny Roth beamed in the audience while David Lee Roth reminisced about his first visit to the club, in 1961. “It took us 50 years to get this gig,” the singer said. “It was easier getting into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.”

Van Halen didn’t play like an arena band concerned with lighting cues and special effects; for the night, it was a club act treating songs like jams. “We used to play gigs like this five nights a week, and we used to do five 45-minute sets a night,” Mr. Roth said during “Dance the Night Away.”

Van Halen is still one of the most limber bands in hard rock, with a higher center of gravity than most. Alex Van Halen places the beat as much on cymbal and tom-toms as on bass drum; the band rides its bass riffs, now played by Wolfgang Van Halen, Eddie’s son. Meanwhile, Eddie Van Halen’s guitar is in constant, multiple-personality dialogue with itself; riffing power chords and then replying with leads that wriggle from the whammy bar, scamper in notes tapped on the fingerboard or screech from a scrape up a string.

The 11-song set started with the Kinks song “You Really Got Me,” stretched so that Mr. Roth and Eddie Van Halen could trade improvised vocal yowls and guitar squiggles. They were at it again in “Everybody Wants Some!!,” with intergalactic siren noises from the guitar and jungle cackles from Mr. Roth, who also updated the lyrics to talk about texting and e-mailing a racy photo. In “Panama,” Mr. Roth suddenly decided to do his impression of Jim Morrison singing “Stairway to Heaven,” then called for a drink. “I’ve gotta have a double, I got a long drive home,” he joked.

For its mini-set, Van Halen stuck to staples like “Runnin’ with the Devil,” “Ain’t Talkin’ ‘Bout Love,” “Panama” and a final “Jump.” The new song fit right into the repertory, with a turbo-boogie riff, lusty lyrics and a cheerfully tangential guitar interlude.

Mr. Roth, 57, showed some wear in his high notes, and he wasn’t taking his shirt off for this gig; in fact, he was wearing overalls. But as the band socked its riffs and Eddie Van Halen filigreed them with virtuoso guitar, the songs were still testimonials to hyperactive teenage hormones and musicians who remember them. “I told you we was comin’ back,” Mr. Roth boasted during “Hot for Teacher,” adding, “Say you missed us.”
    Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• Reunited Van Halen Play Blazing Show at Tiny NYC Club
      The group debut new song 'She's The Woman,' originally recorded as a demo in 1976

By ANDY GREENE
      January 6, 2012 7:30 AM ET

"It's like climbing into a rocket in here," David Lee Roth said he stepped onto the matchbox-sized stage at New York's 250-capacity Cafe Wha? for Van Halen's first concert in four years." "It's a rocket that comes from way back into the past into what the future's going to look like. Welcome to Occupy Van Halen, ladies and gentlemen!"

With those words Eddie Van Halen kicked into the opening notes of "You Really Got Me" and the crowd –composed almost entirety of journalists and music industry insiders – went absolutely bonkers. Over the next hour, the group played a stunningly tight set of songs from their 1978 debut LP all the way through David Lee Roth's swan song, 1984. It was a show guaranteed to make any crowd go into a collective state of hysteria, but the happiest man in the house could have been Roth himself. Dressed in beige overalls and a Brian Johnson-style newsboy hat, the singer had an ear-to-ear grin on his face all night, especially when he looked over at his 92-year-old uncle Manny – the founder of Cafe Wha? – who was seated in the corner. "Last time I stood on a stage this low I had to have the car back by midnight," Roth joked early in the night. "This is one of our best nights ever."

I stood a good five feet in front of Eddie Van Halen (dressed in ripped jeans and a black t-shirt) and the man played absolutely flawlessly. It was a beautiful sight. Before the start of a Van Halen tour you never know what Ed you're getting. The 2004 Van Hagar Ed was a drunken, shirtless mess. The 2007/08 reunion Ed was cleaned up and together, and that clearly is the case today. While Roth ordered drinks from the stage and took some shots, Ed restricted himself to bottled water and a couple of Red Bulls.

About half a second after the end of "You Really Got Me," Wolfgang Van Halen played the opening notes of "Running With The Devil." By that point that crazy reality that we were seeing Van Halen in a tiny, sweaty basement club began to kick in. These songs (not to mention the performers) were programmed to rock massive baskeball arenas. Seeing that all that energy crammed into a basement club was surreal. It's a shame so few fans outside of the press were able to witness it.

It was clear that Dave's voice isn't quite as strong as it was back in the day, but he more than compensated for that with incredible energy and charisma. It must be said, however, that original bassist Michael Anthony's backing vocals were sorely missed. They need them now more than ever, and as talented a bassist as Wolfgang clearly is (especially for a 20-year-old), it was a real lame move to push Anthony out of the band.

After just two songs, Dave began a long spoken interlude that clearly tested the patience of the Van Halen men. "I could see your naked, steaming eyes," Roth said. "I see a lot of familiar faces. A lot of folks from the media. A lot of folks from the record company. A lot of folks that we grew up with here. How many of you people know Lady Gaga? I was watching her on New Year's Eve with Mayor Bloomberg and it's kind of an interesting story . . ." This went on for a few long minutes, but then Dave screamed out,"Someone Get Me A Doctor!" and all was forgiven.

The return of Roth to the band means that the group's entire history with Sammy Hagar (not to mention Gary Cherone) has essentially been erased. That still leaves them with plenty of great material, and the setlist for the show seemed like the playlist for a classic rock radio station. They also played "Everybody Wants Some!!," "Dance The Night Away," "Hot For Teacher," "Ice Cream Man," "Panama," "Ain't Talkin' 'bout Love" and "Jump." The only song from their upcoming LP was "She's The Woman," but there's a good reason that it sounded so much like a classic Van Halen song: It's a demo from 1976 that's been circulating in the fan community for years. Parts of it were eventually used on "Mean Street." They have since fleshed out the track, but its inclusion on the new album seems to bolster Sammy Hagar's contention that parts of the disc are recycled old bits – not that it really matters. A good song is a good song and they should use the best material they have available to them.

Midway through a blazing "Ain't Talkin' 'bout Love" Roth explained to the crowd that it was impossible to leave the stage for an encore, so we were instructed to pretend that they left and came back. The finale of "Jump" didn't quite take off – partially due to the fact that they piped in keyboards were largely inaudible –but it hardly mattered. Van Halen had braved a crowd that seemingly contained every music journalist in the city, and proved to all of them they still have the goods. They have yet to grant a single interview, but it's clearly all part of a strategy to build buzz around the new disc and tour – though they didn't play their upcoming single "Tattoo."

A setlist taped next to Alex's drum kit said that "Beautiful Girls" and "Unchained" were supposed to wrap up the show, but after "Jump" the band was ushered out a back door and driven away. A new single and video are going to be released soon, and their tour is going on sale January 10th.

The last 14 years have been rough for Van Halen fans. The last three tours featured three different singers, and for most of that time the band was completely inactive. Let's hope this club show is the dawn of a better, more productive era for the band. It sure seems like that's the case.
      Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• Originally posted by Panamark View Post
        Many Thanks GEM !

Lots of focus on WARF tonight, but your efforts are making us
        all smile like chesire cats.

I like the new/old song, just curious if Dave
        was lost in the mix (as you could hear it there)
        or if its just the end result of what technology you had on hand ?

Band sounds tight. Congrats on being there, and for
        giving us some awesome material to help take us "there"
        too..

I cant imagine the album being anything other than incredible
        after seeing the bonding, musicianship and enthusiasm.
        The boys are definately back in town !
        My pleasure to share! I think the problem with not hearing Dave well on the video is that I was right up in front of him -- less than arm's length (I could literally see fillings in his mouth) -- and probably getting actual sound *from* him directly, instead of the sound system.

I am still stunned that I was able to be right in front of him at the stage. All I did was walk right up to that spot and stand there. Nobody asked me to move, and I was right next to their official photographer (WARF was on the other side of her, also having THE best spot in the place) for the entire show.

One highlight of the night was meeting WARF, Jeff from VHND and one of the guys from the Links, and enjoying the show with these great people!

Comment

• WOW.  Dave is running shit or they're really taking what he says seriously. No noise, then BOOM! Van Halen lands on the Village. He talked about it before he was even back in the band. Two things I'm tired of though,people questioning Wolfgang's ability and the word reunion. It's not a reunion, it's Van Halen. They declared that in the pressconference in 2007, and proved it when they released the picture with the Inerscope guys. As far as Wolfgang goes, check out videos from the last tour again.

I bet Dave gets his Carhartts from Dave's Army Navy on Avenue of the Americas. Is it still there? Now I gotta go look tonight!

Comment

• Originally posted by Nitro Express View Post
            I bet Sammy Hagar is shitting a huge brick right now. He has ripped Roth every chance he got and he was hoping Ed would sober up and let his pathetic ass back in the band. Ok Sam, go down to Cabo and sell some more tacos why don't cha?
            Nice to see VH doing so well, after Sammy spent *how long* taking cheap shots at them from afar, sounding like the girl whose boyfriend dumped her for the hotter chick and will just not get over it.

Comment

• Sammy will just turn interest in VH as a way of flogging Chickenshit.
              The Power Of The Riff Compels Me

Comment

• Andy from Rolling Stone is still bitching about Mike Anthony being pushed out of the band. WTF??

Mike Anthony was not pushed out of the band. There would be NO BAND if Ed did not want to tour WITH WOLFGANG. The sole purpose of reuniting with Roth was to tour with Wolf!! and guess what? he's on bass. It's Ed right as a person and a father to do whatever the fuck he wants with his kid. Why is this so hard to comprehend??? Get over it! please.
                “Why do people say "grow some balls"? Balls are weak and sensitive. If you wanna be tough, grow a vagina. Those things can take a pounding” ― Betty White

Comment

• •••••Legends are Born overnight•••••

Comment

• WARF, GOP Front-runner

•••••Legends are Born overnight•••••

Comment

• Originally posted by DONNIEP View Post
                      OK, I've waited, and watched...Where is video with Dave singing?? Jesus Fucking Christ...It's not that hard to record his voice in the middle of a fucking Van Halen show! I wants me some Dave!!!
                      It is hard to get in "The Middle" not only in a small club, but most of the sounds produced by bands come from right where each performer is so if you are filming stage left snagglepuss then the majority of the sound you are recording is whoevers instrument is on that side.

I am no engineer but I believe the only way to get in, "The Middle" is to be plugged into the sound board.

I know it is perhaps hard to let Dave be Dave he loves to talk and I dig that part of the shows. Dave personalizes the day.. the creative Ed Al and Wolf and the addition of DLR as a carnival barker is music to me ears.

Mutha on and what a show.
                      2015 once smoke 2 smoke ...poke
                      clara the tiny giraffe make fur curve

Comment

• Originally posted by van hln CA View Post

so perfect!!
                        “Why do people say "grow some balls"? Balls are weak and sensitive. If you wanna be tough, grow a vagina. Those things can take a pounding” ― Betty White

Comment

• Originally posted by van hln CA View Post

HA! Awesome!
                          Thanx for all the reviews VA, have you even slept yet?
                          Diamond Mafia Forever - 4. To restore fullbug to the prominent place in this board, after various serious attacks by hitch1969 have now damaged his reputation and now is reguarded as a "Retarded, Stoned, Canadian, Dog finger bangin' fuckup"

Comment

• There is a picture of WARF here in this Blabbermouth article as well.

Official site of record label Elektra Music Group: Elektra Records, Fueled By Ramen, Roadrunner, Low Country Sound, Black Cement, Public Consumption, DTA Records

Comment

• This one would make a good caption picture, its like WARF is looking up to the heavens saying 'I'm here with VH! There is a god!"

Diamond Mafia Forever - 4. To restore fullbug to the prominent place in this board, after various serious attacks by hitch1969 have now damaged his reputation and now is reguarded as a "Retarded, Stoned, Canadian, Dog finger bangin' fuckup"

Comment

• Full size Dave / Sir WARF pic, anyone have a watermark remover?

Comment

Working...
                                X