Atomic Punk of Los Santos
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    01-28-2017 @ 09:31 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by POJO_Risin View Post
    There have been so many bashings towards this band...AND FOLKS...IT'S BEEN DESERVED. They've fucked up on every stage since 1985...in so many ways. Think about all the criticisms...Dave can't sing anymore, Eddie can't play any more...Alex needs bionics because his body is breaking down...they don't get along...Wolfgang sucks...he doesn't belong...they aren't a tight band anymore...they don't pay attention to their fans...they have no fucking clue how to play the media anymore...

then comes Cafe Wha...after exclusive videos to the VHND and the Army...and then after to VHLinks with some nudging from Va...they throw bones to their fans first...
    I gotta believe that the explosion in the media was mostly Dave's doing.

I can't believe that Janie had her hand in this...at least not very much.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Rock God
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-03-2024 @ 04:13 AM
    A Small Dive in a trashy neighborhood somewhere on Fornax 9
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,616 Times in 1,647 Posts

Fucking hell....just downloaded the crummiest possible quality from youtube of the tune "She's The Woman".....took a fucking hour to download 5.5Mb....But, while waiting for it to download, I also listened to the original version from Van Halen Zero.

I am fucking speechless.

I, state your name, do solemnly swear to stop ranting about wanting Mikey back in the band.
    He made his bed....he is now committed to Chickenshit, so be it.

Wolfy is one badass motherfucking bassist.

I am now (for the first time, and forevermore) just fucking fine with the current lineup. Wolfy made a motherfucking believer out of me tonight....just on that one fucking song!
    Fuck it. Firstly, I know for a fact that if he sucked, he would not be in the band to begin with. But how can he suck? His fucking DAD is EDWARD VAN HALEN, and his fucking Uncle is ALEX VAN HALEN! Christ! There is no band on earth that can be locked in on a genetic level like that, lol.

I am very much interested now in hearing this studio album.....as if I wasn't before, lol. I want to hear it even MORE now.

FUCK YES!
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

3. 9 users say thank you to Hardrock69 for this KICKASS post:

1971Quarter (01-06-2012),AccidentalAngel (01-06-2012),ashstralia (01-06-2012),FORD (01-06-2012),Little Texan (01-06-2012),philouze (01-06-2012),riggodrill44 (01-06-2012),VAN HLN CA (01-06-2012),WACF (01-06-2012)

Banned
    Flappo's Disciple
    Member No
    Last Online
    06-02-2016 @ 03:24 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Can I get an AMEN ????

5. Thanked philouze for this KICKASS post:

1971Quarter (01-06-2012)

The Australian.
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    10-07-2023 @ 07:35 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,102 Times in 823 Posts

i had an similar epiphany today, hr. how could he have that surname and not have musical talent?

well, tonight/today our time he certainly showed me. great bassplaying.
    Last edited by ashstralia; 01-06-2012 at 06:01 AM. Reason: still speechless, even when i try to speak..

Atomic Punk of Los Santos
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    01-28-2017 @ 09:31 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hardrock69 View Post
    Wolfy is one badass motherfucking bassist.

100% spot on.

It's time to give Wolfie the credit he is clearly due. Any question marks from 2007/08 were erased in one single hour last night in New York City.

He is clearly an excellent musician, with talent on various instruments. The evidence is now incontrovertible.

This is going to be our year, folks. Soak in every second you can...experience as much as possible. Travel to shows in other states if you have to, because moments like these are once in a lifetime.

The Australian.
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    10-07-2023 @ 07:35 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,102 Times in 823 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by philouze View Post
    Can I get an AMEN ????
    yes. yes you can. amen

9. Thanked ashstralia for this KICKASS post:

philouze (01-06-2012)

Rock God
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

A-Fucking-MEN!

Banned
    Flappo's Disciple
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Do you believe ??
    I said
    DO-YOU-BE-LIEVE ??
    Lawd have mercy.
    Hey, notice how these two names sound alike ? Hagar/Swaggart..

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    Roadie
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-19-2023 @ 02:10 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Holy shit Wolf was rippin' up the bass.. powerful playing right there.

Rock God
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Lol.

I CAIN SEE DEE LIGHT! LAWZY LAWZY SAKES-A-MIGHTY ALIVE!

Banned
    Flappo's Disciple
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hardrock69 View Post
    Lol.

I CAIN SEE DEE LIGHT! LAWZY LAWZY SAKES-A-MIGHTY ALIVE!
    FZ in When The Lie's So Big:

DO YOU BELIEVE IN THE INVISIBLE AAAAAAAAAAARMYYY ???

Dear Frank, we're not invisible anymore.. We miss you.

Full On Cocktard
    Member No
    Last Online
    10-03-2015 @ 02:06 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 78/84 guy View Post
    That was alway bullshit !! The problem was he wasn't playing through bass amps in 07, he was using Ed's Peavy stuff. It sounded thin like a guitar tone. Who knows about the singing. I watch the boots from that tour and don't think they are recorded Mikey. They just arent good enough.
    I remember reading an article where they admit to using canned backing vocals. If there is a bootleg of the 2nd Philadelphia show, in Romeo Delight, the background vocals come in a bar early after the "Feel My Heartbeat" part and there is noone near a microphone... .LOL I was there.

STAY FROSTY
    Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    04-25-2022 @ 12:09 PM
    Status
    Thanks

The other thread has been closed, so I'll ask the question again here:

Did they use keyboards in Jump?

Atomic Drunk
    Roadie
    Member No
    Last Online
    02-10-2022 @ 02:47 PM
    Status
    Thanks

I have six quick thoughts before I get my teenager off to school and head into the office...

1. It's a great day for real Van Halen fans. A day I thought would never come. And now that is has, I feel better. It's like being vindicated. Can anyone else relate to that?
    2. Wolf has been practicing. I think that was the point of playing "She's the Woman". He is for real. The dude has some chops. You may be familiar with his lineage...
    3. Ed is sharper than 2007/2008. He's been practicing, too. Maybe he thinks he has something to prove?
    4. Obviously, it's going to be different than it was "back in the day" But you know it's still going to be great. Time changes things... but they can still be great.
    5. You know... bringing Wolf into the band... "Van Halen" is a "brand" that can sell new music to a whole 'nother generation. I bet Wolf can shred on guitar. It's actually brilliant if you really think about it.
    6. David Lee Roth is THE consummate front man. It's all about attitude and experience. You cannot possibly re-create his perspective. And it connects with this fan... still.

Roth On.

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-28-2024 @ 09:22 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,517 Times in 2,422 Posts

OK, time to post the reviews I've seen this morning...

http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2012/...nwich-village/

Van Halen and David Lee Roth Rock Greenwich Village

To stoke the fire for the band’s new album “A Different Kind of Truth” and forthcoming tour, tonight Van Halen played for about 250 music-industry insiders and journalists packed elbow-to-elbow at the tiny Café Wha? in New York City’s Greenwich Village.

Featuring three original members – brother Eddie Van Halen and Alex Van Halen on guitar and drums, respectively; and vocalist David Lee Roth – and Wolfgang Van Halen, Eddie’s son, on bass, the quartet ran through an 11-song set heavy on familiar hits and guitar pyrotechnics by Eddie Van Halen, who, at age 56, was at his dazzling best, blending flawless technique, off-the-moment invention and exploitation of raw volume.

Opening with two songs from its 1978 debut disk, the band found its footing early and by the fourth number, “Everybody Wants Some,” Alex and his nephew locked in, providing a supple platform for the guitarist to wail and squeal, hammering a blizzard of notes, though seemingly never to excess. Soon, old tunes, including “Hot for Teacher,” a hit some 28 years ago, roared in the small venue. (“Perfect,” said Roth to drummer Van Halen at its end.) The lone new song in the set, the rave-up “She’s the Woman” featured knotty unison playing by Eddie Van Halen and his son. The new album is due for release on February 7.

The evening was a homecoming of sorts for Roth, whose uncle, Manny Roth, ran the Café Wha? from the early ‘60s well into the ‘80s. (Now 92 years old, Manny Roth was in the audience.) Roth said he first entered the club when he was seven years old; now 57, he said, “It took me 50 years to get this gig.” Kicking off “Ice Cream Man,” he added, “I’m more nervous about this gig than I’ve been at the Garden,” referencing the arena some three miles north of the Village.

In brown overalls and a newsboy cap, Roth was in a chatty mood – at one point, Eddie Van Halen looked at his wristwatch during one of his lengthy tales. His good cheer carried over into the songs: During “Panama,” he mimicked Jim Morrison singing a rendition of “Stairway to Heaven.”

The venue, which is no more than 20 yards wide from the front of the stage to the back wall, sparked memories for the band, which formed 40 years ago in Pasadena. “We used to do gigs like this five nights a week for five years,” Roth said. Alex Van Halen played the opening percussion riff to “Dance the Night Away” on an overhead water pipe. Known for his hurdling about stage, Roth sang with the ceiling about a foot above his head – no room for leaps, not even during “Jump,” the show’s finale.

Beginning February 18 in Louisville, Kentucky, Van Halen will return to arenas in the U.S. and Canada for a lengthy tour, its first since 2008, that runs through June. Tickets go on sale beginning January 14. Kool & the Gang, who, like Bob Dylan, Jimi Hendrix and others played Café Wha? at the start of the start of their careers, will open for Van Halen on some dates.

“Tattoo,” the first single from the new album, will be released January 10.

What do you think? Leave your thoughts in the comments.

Jim Fusilli is the Journal’s rock and pop music critic. Email him at jfusilli@wsj.com or follow him on Twitter: @wsjrock.

Banned
    Flappo's Disciple
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Totally agree with you, Riggo...

Jim Fusilli ?? Brother of John Tortellini ? Or cousin of Robert Penne Rigate ? Niiiice...

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/...sEnabled=false

Van Halen surprises fans with gig in 250-capacity Village club Cafe Wha?
    Frontman David Lee Roth's uncle once owned venue

BY JIM FARBER / NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

Friday, January 6 2012, 12:37 AM

IT WAS A genuine “wha?” moment: The megametal band Van Halen played the matchbox-sized Cafe Wha? in the Village Thursday, a superrare move geared to pay off in PR what it lacked in scale.

As it turns out, David Lee Roth’s 92-year-old uncle, Manny, used to own the 250-capacity venue. (He sold it in 1988). But the club remains at the same address where stars like Bob Dylan played in its 1960s heyday.

Frontman Roth spent no small portion of his many, many monologues in the 75-minute set emphasizing his connection to the city, as if to temper the band’s essential California character. It didn’t hurt that the audience consisted entirely of area press. Roth talked about attending the club for the first time for his 7th birthday, about hanging out on Ludlow St. (which he called Ludlow Blvd.), and about several New Years Eves spent as an EMT volunteer in the Bronx.

That last bit went on so long, Eddie Van Halen thoughtfully pointed to his watch before it was over. The tensions between them haven’t always been dealt with as lightly. But last night found the band in good spirits, and the players in bracing synch. As on their last reunion tour, in 2008, this incarnation subs Eddie’s son Wolfgang for snubbed original bassist Michael Anthony.

The musical closeness of the foursome made itself apparent from the opening piece, their famed cover of The Kinks’ “You Really Got Me.” The chunkiness of Eddie’s riffs played ideally against Roth's gasping scats. All but one of the 11 songs came from the six albums Roth cut with the band. The sole new song, “She’s the Woman,” sounds like a worthy descendent of a garage-metal cut like “Ain’t Talkin' About Love.” It’s set to appear on “A Different Kind of Truth,” the first full disk by the band with Roth in 26 years (out Feb. 7).

The band's top bragging point — Eddie's loop-de-loop solos — reached a peak in “Ice Cream Man,” a wholly metallic rewrite of the blues. Often his leads formed commentaries on the melody, filled with snarky asides and randy innuendos. Roth matched him in bellows and yelps. Hopefully their boyish rapport can keep things light enough to allow the band to actually get through the coming tour without killing each other. Their show comes to Madison Square Garden Feb. 28 and March 1.

jfarber@nydailynews.com

SET LIST :

You Really Got Me

Running With The Devil

Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Everybody Wants SOme

She's The Woman

Dance The Night Away

Panama

Hot For Teacher

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

http://www.washingtonpost.com/nation...m_national_pop

Regrouped Van Halen performs intimate NYC gig, announces new tour and album
    By Associated Press, Published: January 5 | Updated: Friday, January 6, 12:52 AM

NEW YORK — They’ll be playing arenas when they tour next month, but on Thursday night, a regrouped Van Halen provided thrills in a tiny club where a VIP crowd stood elbow to elbow as the storied band played some of their greatest hits including “Jump” and “Panama.”

“Welcome to Occupy Van Halen, ladies and gentleman!” frontman David Lee Roth yelled just before the band launched into “You Really Got Me,” the first in an approximately hour-long, high energy set.

The show was at the famed Café Wha? in New York’s West Village — a club owned by Manny Roth, the uncle of Roth.

David Lee Roth noted some of the greats that played in the club — including Bob Dylan — and told the crowd, “I’m more nervous about this gig than I would ever be in the Garden,” referring to Madison Square Garden.

The band will soon be playing the Garden and other venues like it, as they kick off a nationwide tour next month. The Rock and Roll Hall of Famers start the tour in Louisville, Ky., on Feb. 16, and will tour through June, hitting cities like Boston, Atlanta and Chicago. They’ll also be promoting a new album: The group announced Wednesday that they’ll release “A Different Kind of Truth” on Feb. 7, the group’s first album with Roth since their celebrated album “1984,” released that same year.

Van Halen has gone through plenty of changes since then. Roth left the band for a solo career and was replaced with Sammy Hagar in a messy breakup; he later returned to the band as Hagar exited in a split that had just as much discord. There would be more turmoil as bassist Michael Anthony was replaced a few years ago with Wolfgang Van Halen, the son of guitar great Eddie Van Halen.

But it was all smiles on Wednesday, as father and son, along with Eddie’s brother and drummer Alex were all on hand as the reconstituted group played a warm-up of sorts before their nationwide tour, their first together in almost four years.

“This has been a really long time coming,” Roth told the audience.

The band hardly seemed rusty. Though his mic was weak, Roth’s voice wasn’t, as his signature screech was in top form, as was Eddie Van Halen’s scorching guitar play on songs like “Hot for Teacher” and “Dance the Night Away.”

Roth joked about the small size of the club: “The last time I stood on a stage this low, I had to get the car home by midnight.”

Later, he talked about how he used to wander through the club as a kid, dreaming of a chance to play on its stage.

“It took us 50 years to get this gig. It was easier to get in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame than to get this gig,” he said.

Roth’s uncle Manny, now 92, was in the audience, sitting next to John McEnroe, one of several luminaries in the crowd.

“It’s come full circle,” said a beaming David Lee Roth amid the audience’s cheers.

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-28-2024 @ 04:08 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    UNBELIEVABLE!!!

I gotta say that for past few years I've pretty much not given much of a shit with any prospects for a VH return to form, preferring to lurk around in Non-VH Forums (even that out-of-the-blue Aussie gig, that the incompetent promoters eventually stuffed up, didn't quite encourage me as much as it normally should've done - but maybe that was some kind of sign there?)

...BUT WOW, JUST WOW...WHAT A BREATH OF FRESH AIR THAT WAS!!!

Cheers to WARF, Pojo, GEM, and all the rest here at the ARMY!

Cheers again!
    Grant!!!!

Good to see you again! It's been too damn long!!!!!

Hope everything is going well for you!

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/07/ar...w.html?_r=1Van Halen Delivers Big Nostalgia on a Small Stage

By JAMES C. McKINLEY Jr.
    Published: January 6, 2012

When the rock band Van Halen played in a cramped basement club in Greenwich Village on Thursday, dozens of fans clustered around the back door, listening to the slightly muffled strains of hard rocking songs like “Panama” and “Hot for Teacher,” like children eavesdropping on an adult conversation in the next room.

One of them, George D’Anna, who is 50, had a plastic shopping bag containing a program from one of the band’s early tours in the late 1970s and several Van Halen albums — the old-fashioned kind on vinyl. On the paper sleeve covering “Women and Children First” he had written down all the Van Halen concerts he had attended as a young man when he first got hooked on the group, beginning with a show at a Manhattan nightclub in May 1979. Eddie Van Halen’s dazzling guitar solos bewitched him — the superfast runs, bell-tone harmonics and almost animal-like sounds.

“I snuck in with a friend to see them at the Palladium,” he recalled. “They were different than any band. Eddie’s guitar was different.”

There was no way to sneak in to see Van Halen on Thursday. Metal barriers had been set up around the front door of “Café Wha?” on MacDougal Street, and a team of bouncers and promoters were checking the driver’s license of everyone in line to make sure they were on a carefully selected list of guests. Several police officers had been assigned by the local precinct to control whatever crowds developed. The guest list included every music writer in the city, scores of people from the music industry with miscellaneous friends in tow and a handful of celebrities, among them Jimmy Fallon and John McEnroe.

Van Halen is a famous heavy-metal quartet that can still fill arenas and stadiums with ease. Ostensibly, the reason the band did a concert in a club that seats perhaps 250 people was to announce a new tour of 45 cities and to promote the release of a fresh studio album later this year, the first they have recorded with the original front man, David Lee Roth, since 1984.

Although Mr. Roth’s rambling monologues on stage covered many topics, including Lady Gaga and working as a medic in the Bronx, he never actually made the announcement. Instead it was posted on the internet. The new album, “A Different Kind of Truth,” will be released on Feb. 7 by Interscope Records, and the tour begins in Louisville, Ky., the following week. Van Halen will play Madison Square Garden on Feb. 28 and March 1.

But Mr. Roth did expound on about his ulterior motive for wanting to rock out at “Café Wha?” a fabled club where many famous rockers and folk musicians played in the 1960’s and 1970’s. His uncle, Manny Roth, who is 92, opened the club in 1960, and laid the marble floor himself.

After the band had delivered a tight and joyous rendition of “Hot for Teacher,” David Lee Roth recounted how he had been brought to the club when he was only 7 and saw his uncle appeal to the audience to help a young folk singer named Bobby Zimmerman find a place to stay. His uncle beamed at him from a booth across from the stage.

“It took us 50 years to get this gig,” Mr. Roth said. “This is a temple. This is a very special place and I am more nervous about this gig than I would ever be at the Garden. There is no hiding up here. There are no fake vocals. There is no fake anything.”

There was some truth to those words. Removed from their stadium-sized pedestal and placed on the foot-high stage, Van Halen seemed to be reduced to its elements: the blues-rock power trio, the unwavering drum lines of Alex Van Halen, the soaring virtuosity of Eddie Van Halen’s guitar work, and Mr. Roth’s endearing and gutsy vocals. (The original bass player, Michael Anthony, has been replaced in this incarnation of the band by Wolfgang Van Halen, who is Eddie Van Halen’s son.) If you squinted and lost yourself in the music, it was possible to forget they were stars and imagine they were just another rock band, a bit long in the tooth perhaps, but extremely good at what they do.

And what they did pleased many in the crowd. That was no small feat since their diehard fans were outside in the cold and some of the best critics in the business were listening. They started with a roaring version of “You Really Got Me,” the Kinks cover that was one of their early successes, then played with gusto through several of their biggest hits: “Dancing the Night Away,” “Panama,” “Hot for Teacher,” and “Jump.” They also unveiled a new song from the recently recorded album, “She’s the Woman,” which features a fast hard-rock riff that echoes their early style.

For some in the audience, the songs triggered a nostalgic response. Jonathan Cohen, who books bands for the Jimmy Fallon show, could not stop dancing and singing the lyrics. “1984” was the first album he bought from himself, he said, and he recalled leaving the dinner table early to see the debut of the video for “Hot for Teacher. “It was the first time rock and roll was really connecting with me in a major way,” he said. “There really aren’t new bands that sound like this.”

Seated nearby, Kirk Douglas, the guitarist with the hip-hop and ne0-soul group The Roots, said he felt overcome with emotion during the set. Eddie Van Halen had been one of his guitar idols when he was learning to play, he said. “I can’t believe I just saw that,” he said. “He got me started on guitar. The way he made it sound like an organ.”

Outside, some fans grumbled it would have been nice if the band had done a second date in the club and let the hoi poloi buy tickets. “Even a lottery would have been better than this,” said one fan, who gave his name only as Tony. Others said they had called everyone they knew in an effort to get on the list, to no avail. Still, they lingered outside in the chill, hoping the band would let a few extra people in, then hung around the back door to hear what they could. “That’s what we do,” said Kimberly Barnhill, 21, an aspiring singer. “We wait in the cold weather for our band.”

There were some consolations for the patient. As he left the club, Mr. Roth signed Mr. D’Anna’s copy of “Women and Children First” with a silver marker. Mr. D’Anna had spotted Mr. Roth earlier in the evening and memorized the license number of his hired car, so he knew which car to stake out after the show. “Always memorize the license plate,” he said, smiling as he showed off his prize autograph.

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/07/ar...ha-review.html

Arena Rock, Well Preserved and Condensed

By JON PARELES
    Published: January 6, 2012

As press briefings go, it rocked. On Thursday night, Van Halen took to the stage of the venerable Cafe Wha? on MacDougal Street in Greenwich Village, capacity 250. “Last time I stood on a stage this low, we had to have the car back by midnight,” said the singer David Lee Roth. The objective was to prove Van Halen is alive and amicable for an arena tour that starts Feb. 18 in Louisville, Ky.,after the Feb. 7 release of a new album, “A Different Kind of Truth.” It’s to be Van Halen’s first full album with Mr. Roth as lead singer since the band fired him in 1985, although they have done previous reunion tours.

There was no formal announcement at Cafe Wha?, just a blast of Eddie Van Halen’s guitar, a rumble from Alex Van Halen’s drums, and a motormouthed Mr. Roth declaring, “It’s like climbing into a rocket in here, and it’s a rocket that comes from way, way back in our past all the way into what the future’s going to look like according to — Welcome to Occupy Van Halen.” .That introduced an hourlong set from a grinning band, reclaiming its oldies and introducing a new song announced by Mr. Roth as “She’s the Woman.”

Nearly all the audience was “the world’s press, the world’s media,” Mr. Roth said, along with record-company staff. Jimmy Fallon and Kirk Douglas, the Roots’ lead guitarist, were also spotted in the narrow, packed basement club.

From the Rolling Stones to Kanye West, a big act in a small room has proved a surefire attention-getter. Leaking the location so that fans cluster outside is part of the plan.

But there was another reason for choosing Cafe Wha? instead of a club or theater that could have accommodated more fans. In the club’s 1960s heyday, when Bob Dylan and Jimi Hendrix performed there, Cafe Wha? was owned by Manny Roth, David Lee’s uncle, who sold it in 1988. Now 92, Manny Roth beamed in the audience while David Lee Roth reminisced about his first visit to the club, in 1961. “It took us 50 years to get this gig,” the singer said. “It was easier getting into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.”

Van Halen didn’t play like an arena band concerned with lighting cues and special effects; for the night, it was a club act treating songs like jams. “We used to play gigs like this five nights a week, and we used to do five 45-minute sets a night,” Mr. Roth said during “Dance the Night Away.”

Van Halen is still one of the most limber bands in hard rock, with a higher center of gravity than most. Alex Van Halen places the beat as much on cymbal and tom-toms as on bass drum; the band rides its bass riffs, now played by Wolfgang Van Halen, Eddie’s son. Meanwhile, Eddie Van Halen’s guitar is in constant, multiple-personality dialogue with itself; riffing power chords and then replying with leads that wriggle from the whammy bar, scamper in notes tapped on the fingerboard or screech from a scrape up a string.

The 11-song set started with the Kinks song “You Really Got Me,” stretched so that Mr. Roth and Eddie Van Halen could trade improvised vocal yowls and guitar squiggles. They were at it again in “Everybody Wants Some!!,” with intergalactic siren noises from the guitar and jungle cackles from Mr. Roth, who also updated the lyrics to talk about texting and e-mailing a racy photo. In “Panama,” Mr. Roth suddenly decided to do his impression of Jim Morrison singing “Stairway to Heaven,” then called for a drink. “I’ve gotta have a double, I got a long drive home,” he joked.

For its mini-set, Van Halen stuck to staples like “Runnin’ with the Devil,” “Ain’t Talkin’ ‘Bout Love,” “Panama” and a final “Jump.” The new song fit right into the repertory, with a turbo-boogie riff, lusty lyrics and a cheerfully tangential guitar interlude.

Mr. Roth, 57, showed some wear in his high notes, and he wasn’t taking his shirt off for this gig; in fact, he was wearing overalls. But as the band socked its riffs and Eddie Van Halen filigreed them with virtuoso guitar, the songs were still testimonials to hyperactive teenage hormones and musicians who remember them. “I told you we was comin’ back,” Mr. Roth boasted during “Hot for Teacher,” adding, “Say you missed us.”

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/ne...-club-20120106

Reunited Van Halen Play Blazing Show at Tiny NYC Club
    The group debut new song 'She's The Woman,' originally recorded as a demo in 1976

By ANDY GREENE
    January 6, 2012 7:30 AM ET

"It's like climbing into a rocket in here," David Lee Roth said he stepped onto the matchbox-sized stage at New York's 250-capacity Cafe Wha? for Van Halen's first concert in four years." "It's a rocket that comes from way back into the past into what the future's going to look like. Welcome to Occupy Van Halen, ladies and gentlemen!"

With those words Eddie Van Halen kicked into the opening notes of "You Really Got Me" and the crowd –composed almost entirety of journalists and music industry insiders – went absolutely bonkers. Over the next hour, the group played a stunningly tight set of songs from their 1978 debut LP all the way through David Lee Roth's swan song, 1984. It was a show guaranteed to make any crowd go into a collective state of hysteria, but the happiest man in the house could have been Roth himself. Dressed in beige overalls and a Brian Johnson-style newsboy hat, the singer had an ear-to-ear grin on his face all night, especially when he looked over at his 92-year-old uncle Manny – the founder of Cafe Wha? – who was seated in the corner. "Last time I stood on a stage this low I had to have the car back by midnight," Roth joked early in the night. "This is one of our best nights ever."

I stood a good five feet in front of Eddie Van Halen (dressed in ripped jeans and a black t-shirt) and the man played absolutely flawlessly. It was a beautiful sight. Before the start of a Van Halen tour you never know what Ed you're getting. The 2004 Van Hagar Ed was a drunken, shirtless mess. The 2007/08 reunion Ed was cleaned up and together, and that clearly is the case today. While Roth ordered drinks from the stage and took some shots, Ed restricted himself to bottled water and a couple of Red Bulls.

About half a second after the end of "You Really Got Me," Wolfgang Van Halen played the opening notes of "Running With The Devil." By that point that crazy reality that we were seeing Van Halen in a tiny, sweaty basement club began to kick in. These songs (not to mention the performers) were programmed to rock massive baskeball arenas. Seeing that all that energy crammed into a basement club was surreal. It's a shame so few fans outside of the press were able to witness it.

It was clear that Dave's voice isn't quite as strong as it was back in the day, but he more than compensated for that with incredible energy and charisma. It must be said, however, that original bassist Michael Anthony's backing vocals were sorely missed. They need them now more than ever, and as talented a bassist as Wolfgang clearly is (especially for a 20-year-old), it was a real lame move to push Anthony out of the band.

After just two songs, Dave began a long spoken interlude that clearly tested the patience of the Van Halen men. "I could see your naked, steaming eyes," Roth said. "I see a lot of familiar faces. A lot of folks from the media. A lot of folks from the record company. A lot of folks that we grew up with here. How many of you people know Lady Gaga? I was watching her on New Year's Eve with Mayor Bloomberg and it's kind of an interesting story . . ." This went on for a few long minutes, but then Dave screamed out,"Someone Get Me A Doctor!" and all was forgiven.

The return of Roth to the band means that the group's entire history with Sammy Hagar (not to mention Gary Cherone) has essentially been erased. That still leaves them with plenty of great material, and the setlist for the show seemed like the playlist for a classic rock radio station. They also played "Everybody Wants Some!!," "Dance The Night Away," "Hot For Teacher," "Ice Cream Man," "Panama," "Ain't Talkin' 'bout Love" and "Jump." The only song from their upcoming LP was "She's The Woman," but there's a good reason that it sounded so much like a classic Van Halen song: It's a demo from 1976 that's been circulating in the fan community for years. Parts of it were eventually used on "Mean Street." They have since fleshed out the track, but its inclusion on the new album seems to bolster Sammy Hagar's contention that parts of the disc are recycled old bits – not that it really matters. A good song is a good song and they should use the best material they have available to them.

Midway through a blazing "Ain't Talkin' 'bout Love" Roth explained to the crowd that it was impossible to leave the stage for an encore, so we were instructed to pretend that they left and came back. The finale of "Jump" didn't quite take off – partially due to the fact that they piped in keyboards were largely inaudible –but it hardly mattered. Van Halen had braved a crowd that seemingly contained every music journalist in the city, and proved to all of them they still have the goods. They have yet to grant a single interview, but it's clearly all part of a strategy to build buzz around the new disc and tour – though they didn't play their upcoming single "Tattoo."

A setlist taped next to Alex's drum kit said that "Beautiful Girls" and "Unchained" were supposed to wrap up the show, but after "Jump" the band was ushered out a back door and driven away. A new single and video are going to be released soon, and their tour is going on sale January 10th.

The last 14 years have been rough for Van Halen fans. The last three tours featured three different singers, and for most of that time the band was completely inactive. Let's hope this club show is the dawn of a better, more productive era for the band. It sure seems like that's the case.

Head Fluffer

Member No
    Last Online
    02-26-2016 @ 10:56 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Panamark View Post
    Many Thanks GEM !

Lots of focus on WARF tonight, but your efforts are making us
    all smile like chesire cats.

I like the new/old song, just curious if Dave
    was lost in the mix (as you could hear it there)
    or if its just the end result of what technology you had on hand ?

Band sounds tight. Congrats on being there, and for
    giving us some awesome material to help take us "there"
    too..

I cant imagine the album being anything other than incredible
    after seeing the bonding, musicianship and enthusiasm.
    The boys are definately back in town !
    My pleasure to share! I think the problem with not hearing Dave well on the video is that I was right up in front of him -- less than arm's length (I could literally see fillings in his mouth) -- and probably getting actual sound *from* him directly, instead of the sound system.

I am still stunned that I was able to be right in front of him at the stage. All I did was walk right up to that spot and stand there. Nobody asked me to move, and I was right next to their official photographer (WARF was on the other side of her, also having THE best spot in the place) for the entire show.

One highlight of the night was meeting WARF, Jeff from VHND and one of the guys from the Links, and enjoying the show with these great people!

27. Thanked GreenEyedMurder for this KICKASS post:

Guitar Shark (01-06-2012)

Belly Searcher
    Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    12-01-2020 @ 11:08 PM
    Status
    Thanks

WOW.  Dave is running shit or they're really taking what he says seriously. No noise, then BOOM! Van Halen lands on the Village. He talked about it before he was even back in the band. Two things I'm tired of though,people questioning Wolfgang's ability and the word reunion. It's not a reunion, it's Van Halen. They declared that in the pressconference in 2007, and proved it when they released the picture with the Inerscope guys. As far as Wolfgang goes, check out videos from the last tour again.

I bet Dave gets his Carhartts from Dave's Army Navy on Avenue of the Americas. Is it still there? Now I gotta go look tonight!

Head Fluffer

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Nitro Express View Post
    I bet Sammy Hagar is shitting a huge brick right now. He has ripped Roth every chance he got and he was hoping Ed would sober up and let his pathetic ass back in the band. Ok Sam, go down to Cabo and sell some more tacos why don't cha?
    Nice to see VH doing so well, after Sammy spent *how long* taking cheap shots at them from afar, sounding like the girl whose boyfriend dumped her for the hotter chick and will just not get over it.

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    12-27-2016 @ 08:33 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,785 Times in 1,252 Posts

Sammy will just turn interest in VH as a way of flogging Chickenshit.

Thanks forthe dream.- DLR
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    08-19-2021 @ 12:39 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Andy from Rolling Stone is still bitching about Mike Anthony being pushed out of the band. WTF??

Mike Anthony was not pushed out of the band. There would be NO BAND if Ed did not want to tour WITH WOLFGANG. The sole purpose of reuniting with Roth was to tour with Wolf!! and guess what? he's on bass. It's Ed right as a person and a father to do whatever the fuck he wants with his kid. Why is this so hard to comprehend??? Get over it! please.

U.S.V.H. PRIME CHOICE
    Foot Soldier
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-31-2013 @ 05:08 AM
    Status
    Thanks

•••••Legends are Born overnight•••••

U.S.V.H. PRIME CHOICE
    Foot Soldier
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-31-2013 @ 05:08 AM
    Status
    Thanks

WARF, GOP Front-runner

34. Thanked VAN HLN CA for this KICKASS post:

WARF (01-09-2012)

I am A Root Vegetable
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    06-21-2021 @ 10:28 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DONNIEP View Post
    OK, I've waited, and watched...Where is video with Dave singing?? Jesus Fucking Christ...It's not that hard to record his voice in the middle of a fucking Van Halen show! I wants me some Dave!!!
    It is hard to get in "The Middle" not only in a small club, but most of the sounds produced by bands come from right where each performer is so if you are filming stage left snagglepuss then the majority of the sound you are recording is whoevers instrument is on that side.

I am no engineer but I believe the only way to get in, "The Middle" is to be plugged into the sound board.

I know it is perhaps hard to let Dave be Dave he loves to talk and I dig that part of the shows. Dave personalizes the day.. the creative Ed Al and Wolf and the addition of DLR as a carnival barker is music to me ears.

Mutha on and what a show.

Thanks forthe dream.- DLR
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    08-19-2021 @ 12:39 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by van hln CA View Post

so perfect!!

Just Me And My Ganja....
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    12-09-2017 @ 06:01 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by van hln CA View Post

HA! Awesome!
    Thanx for all the reviews VA, have you even slept yet?

Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    10-10-2015 @ 11:53 PM
    Status
    Thanks

There is a picture of WARF here in this Blabbermouth article as well.

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/bla...sitemID=167957

Just Me And My Ganja....
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

This one would make a good caption picture, its like WARF is looking up to the heavens saying 'I'm here with VH! There is a god!"

40. Thanked Full Bug for this KICKASS post:

PETE'S BROTHER (01-07-2012)

Just Me And My Ganja....
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Full size Dave / Sir WARF pic, anyone have a watermark remover?

42. Thanked Full Bug for this KICKASS post:

Matt White (01-06-2012)

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Full Bug View Post
    HA! Awesome!
    Thanx for all the reviews VA, have you even slept yet?
    Oh yeah, I went to bed right after midnight....

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

This one would make a good caption picture, its like WARF is looking up to the heavens saying 'I'm here with VH! There is a god!"

That is the ULTIMATE Roth Army picture !!

∞ SHEEP PEN GYPSY
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-25-2024 @ 06:27 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,031 Times in 685 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Va Beach VH Fan View Post
    That is the ULTIMATE Roth Army picture !!
    That should be on the front page..............

WARF...you 'ol PIMP!!!

SALUTE brother...............

Open 8am-5pm M-F
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    01-08-2015 @ 01:06 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GreenEyedMurder View Post
    It seems to be the same. I'll have to fire up iTunes (while I write my articles) and listen, but I think it is.
    I am in the process of sending a video of almost the entire song to Va, but it's taking forever to upload it into the email (I'm also sending a bunch of pics, which are also taking a long time to upload). In the meantime, I made a *private* link on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4pJ8ZVxZus Please don't post this elsewhere or pass it around too much. Thanks!

Also, a bit of trivia: In the promo video for the tour (the one which shows the band in a new video, but plays clips of "1984" hits), the woman with the camera is Dana, their official photographer. I stood right next to her (directly in front of the stage) the entire time. Incredibly sweet, fun, great sense of humor. I met someone else who works for/with them, and I have to say that they surround themselves with awesome people.

That's awesome! I love that somg although they changed the guitar in it. Probly because it was basically the same as mean streat.

Head Fluffer

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Full size Dave / Sir WARF pic, anyone have a watermark remover?

There's a really big version of that pic in today's NY Daily News. I'm going to scan it and post it here, then if WARF wants it, I can send him the actual page in the mail.

Thread Information